Author Topic: The Bore Wasteland Survival Club [A Fallout 76 Thread]  (Read 10393 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
The Bore Wasteland Survival Club [A Fallout 76 Thread]
« on: November 13, 2018, 04:28:04 PM »
Unfortunately, there's no crossplay, but if any of you jabronies have the PC version and want someone to help you survive the wastes [or, more likely, betray you to bandits for a few caps and some skeever meat] then get in here and let's get this started.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: The Bore Wasteland Survival Club [A Fallout 76 Thread]
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 05:13:17 PM »
CAN YOU HELP ME GATHER 10 MOLE RAT HIDES, DOG???

(This is going to be the first Fallout game I don't play, sadly, but I don't do mmos)
yar

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 06:27:11 PM »
People are excited for this game?

It looks like such a late gen "shit we don't want to make an actual new game for the end of gen, quick reuse some assets and put something out" type game.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 09:21:42 PM »
dog

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 12:32:43 AM »
I foolishly preordered it :(

And now I’m too hooked on RDR2 and Astro Bot during the only few weeks it will be relevant :(
serge

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 03:02:14 AM »
Was Fallout 4 shit? I played for 2 hours on my bros PS4 awhile back and it seemed terrible - they'd taken the RP out of my RPG and it was pared back bullshit. Interested to hear if this new Fallout is any good. New Vegas and it's DLC was top-tier stuff
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:50:01 AM by The Sceneman »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 03:25:04 AM »
There's no npcs in this game. (Well, apart from some ResetEra users you might run in to.) If you thought Fallout 4 took out the rp elements, I don't even know what to tell you about this one. Seems all the story is doled out through text and audio logs.

They fucked with the character building again, cause the new system for Fallout 4 wasn't shit enough yet. You now open packs of cards with random perks in them.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 03:29:27 AM »
You now open packs of cards with random perks in them.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 05:52:43 AM »
No dialogue

no npcs

no story

lulz
What

TVC15

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 07:03:18 AM »
This game is ugly as shit and the fov is tiny. I only played for an hour, but not only are there no no s, but it seems like there are barely any enemies at all.
serge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 09:51:52 AM »
but it seems like there are barely any enemies at all.

I've been getting attacked by zombie dudes pretty much all the time, though mostly in settlements and structures. Do hate the tiny FOV, though, I gotta have more than that.

You now open packs of cards with random perks in them.

(Image removed from quote.)

It's part of the leveling system. Each level lets you unlock a single perk, but certain levels give you a pack of [I think it's either 4 or 5] random perks. The perks you choose can be upgraded up to two times, but the random perks can't be upgraded.
dog

thetylerrob

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 10:48:42 AM »
Wheres the reviews at for this piece of shit? I just want to see if journos give papa Bethesda the kid gloves or not.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 11:32:24 AM »
Played for an hour last night, and had a lot of fun exploring and dicking around in the world. FOV is definitely tiny, performance on the Xbone X is sporadic, visually the game is very inconsistent, combat is pretty fun, the setting itself and music is fantastic.

I dunno, this is definitely something a lot of people don't want, but its a neat game to dick around in.
OH!

kingv

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 12:13:55 PM »
Wheres the reviews at for this piece of shit? I just want to see if journos give papa Bethesda the kid gloves or not.

Yeah, that’s a huge red flag to me.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 04:52:34 PM »
Played for an hour last night, and had a lot of fun exploring and dicking around in the world. FOV is definitely tiny, performance on the Xbone X is sporadic, visually the game is very inconsistent, combat is pretty fun, the setting itself and music is fantastic.

I dunno, this is definitely something a lot of people don't want, but its a neat game to dick around in.

Yeah, I've been enjoying it so far, but the absence of NPCs is definitely felt here. I'm hoping that I can do some multiplayer, preferably with some Bore bros., to see if that spices things up. I really hope Bethesda treats this the way they treated Elder Scrolls Online, which was pretty "meh" at launch but has improved drastically since then.
dog

mormapope

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 08:42:44 PM »

Yeah, I've been enjoying it so far, but the absence of NPCs is definitely felt here. I'm hoping that I can do some multiplayer, preferably with some Bore bros., to see if that spices things up. I really hope Bethesda treats this the way they treated Elder Scrolls Online, which was pretty "meh" at launch but has improved drastically since then.

The coolest (and least likely scenario) thing Bethesda could do is after about a year of the game being out, revealing in game that everything you and other players have done is simulate rebuilding civilization, that everything you've done is a VR test.

All characters get reset, all quests get reset, you emerge from your VR pod and explore a world that has real people, NPC's. New quests, new locales, basically an expansion that improves everything in the base game.

You're right about Elder Scrholls online, I bought the morrowind expansion and never got to spending a lot of time for ESO. I imagine if Fallout 76 does well enough, expansions and sone sort of premium pass will be offered.
OH!

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 10:43:12 AM »
I've been watching streams, and the game just looks like it's boring

so Imma pass for now
dur

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 01:34:20 PM »
It's only $52, despite not liking Fallout 4, and thinking this game is a bit weird, I might just bite this out of pure curiosity.

Saw a lot of impressions saying that it's surprisingly fun despite all signs seemingly suggesting otherwise.

they spent 50/60 on it ur gonna get ppl saying they love it
What

TVC15

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 04:02:55 PM »
Do I have to build shit in this game? I hated that in F4. I wouldn’t have bought this if I remembered that element.
serge

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 02:14:43 AM »
Haha they have the never to charge full price for their shitty asset flip? :doge
Hi

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 04:31:21 AM »
Do I have to build shit in this game?

At the very least you'll have to build your own fun.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 03:15:17 PM »
Do I have to build shit in this game? I hated that in F4. I wouldn’t have bought this if I remembered that element.

There's no settlement building like in Fallout 4, but you do build your own base [which can be easily moved with just a small fee in caps] and there are points around the map that you can take control of as an easy source of materials.
dog

kingv

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2018, 04:01:02 PM »
Reading how buggy this is, I’m assuming that the lack of human NPCs is because they couldn’t get the radiant A.I. to work correctly on the server and having all NPCs just be completely stationary would make it really obvious.

mormapope

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2018, 04:47:19 PM »
Reading how buggy this is, I’m assuming that the lack of human NPCs is because they couldn’t get the radiant A.I. to work correctly on the server and having all NPCs just be completely stationary would make it really obvious.

It's definitely a design flaw that they fed back into the story and setting itself. If there were 64 or 128 player servers, the lack of NPC's wouldn't be as dramatic or easily felt too. It feels like 16 players makes the game struggle tho lol.

Thinking about the concept of an online Fallout for a bit, a co-op Fallout game where quests and things done for factions changes the game world and quests for all players, would be a lot cooler than what Fallout 76 is.

Like, imagine doing a Brotherhood of Steel quest that makes them hostile towards other factions. Another player in a different faction then gets attacked on site from any roaming Brotherhod faction NPC's.

That type of online experience would be fucking dope, even if it was only a 4 player server.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 04:59:47 PM by mormapope »
OH!

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2018, 07:51:33 AM »

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2018, 08:30:33 AM »
"What I got was Fallout 4 with a coop component"

Yeah and without actual quests, dialogue and NPC's.

Gtfo with this " no hyperbole " bullcrap. The game stinks.

Talks about bugs

"I can remember similar issues going as far back as Oblivion, but maybe it's just now that people have started to notice"

Uhh yeah, ok bro.

Realistic review:

« Last Edit: November 17, 2018, 10:08:21 AM by MMaRsu »
What

kingv

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2018, 10:38:27 AM »
Damn it looks terrible.

Also, isn’t this right after the bombs dropped?

If so... why are there feral ghouls? Including them violates their own lore.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2018, 11:05:36 AM »
Damn it looks terrible.

It's roughly a year after the nuclear war, I think. The series has been pretty inconsistent with how long it takes a normal human to become a ghoul, though, years in some cases and days or weeks in others. The most common enemy in Fallout 76 is the Scorched ghouls, which were created by a plague rather than just from radiation; regular ghouls are somewhat rarer.
dog

thetylerrob

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2018, 01:11:03 PM »
Bethesda doesn't give a shit about lore lol

Snowden

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2018, 02:19:21 PM »
Damn it looks terrible.

It's roughly a year after the nuclear war, I think. The series has been pretty inconsistent with how long it takes a normal human to become a ghoul, though, years in some cases and days or weeks in others. The most common enemy in Fallout 76 is the Scorched ghouls, which were created by a plague rather than just from radiation; regular ghouls are somewhat rarer.

It's actually set 25 years after the bombs drop. Though the lore doesn't mean much for this game, seems like they couldn't figure out how to get NPC AI to work with their servers so they made up some bullshit about how everyone died or turned into scorched. For what it's worth though I'm having a decent time with the game, though mostly because I'm playing with friends. Probably should have been sold as a 40 dollar game.

kingv

« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2018, 02:22:38 PM »
Fallout 1/2 have no “feral ghouls”.

Fallout 3 does, but claims they are due to slow degredation  of the brains of ghouls that takes place over dozens of years.

So right after the blast there should only be regular ass ghouls that still talk and shit.

The scorched ghouls sound dumb and don’t also really make sense I. Universe.

It kind of pisses me off how Bethesda has shit on this property. It had so much potential.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2018, 05:59:09 PM »
Don't own the game but it just seems like it doesn't thread the needle for what people would want from such a thing.

I mean they could have gone the very direct Dying Light meets Fallout Co-op approach. They could have gone for hardcore rust approach. They could have gone for a minecraft kind of thing.

But by trying to be a little of everything to everybody it doesn't really go far enough to satisfy anyone.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2018, 08:38:36 PM »
watched someone play this and it was horrible. I feel bad for all the people getting fired over this.
每天生气

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2018, 08:42:34 PM »
It's only $52, despite not liking Fallout 4, and thinking this game is a bit weird, I might just bite this out of pure curiosity.

Saw a lot of impressions saying that it's surprisingly fun despite all signs seemingly suggesting otherwise.

When will Toku and you learn not to buy hot turds?

Fallout 1/2 have no “feral ghouls”.

Fallout 3 does, but claims they are due to slow degredation  of the brains of ghouls that takes place over dozens of years.

So right after the blast there should only be regular ass ghouls that still talk and shit.

The scorched ghouls sound dumb and don’t also really make sense I. Universe.

It kind of pisses me off how Bethesda has shit on this property. It had so much potential.

Don't try to make sense of "The Elder Scrolls with Guns: We Bought This IP from Interplay to Rape It To Death" series, son.

The only good post-Interplay Fallout is New Vegas, and that's despite the shit engine (and mostly because it had like... 50-80% of the original Fallout team on it). And we're never getting another one from Obsidian because 1) it made The Elderscrolls with Guns series by Beth look clownshoes and 2) Obsidian is bought by MS now.

At least we'll always have Fallout 1-2, Tactics, and New Vegas I guess.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
</NMA figgitry>
[close]

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2018, 09:46:55 PM »
I'm fine with what Bethesda has mostly done to the franchise outside of this one. Fallout 4 is not as good as 3 or new vegas but I still enjoyed it. But then I'm not the type of gamer who simply wanted old school isometric versions of Fallout 1 and 2.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2018, 10:00:22 PM »
I can't really recommend it to anybody, but I've been enjoying just roaming around and find new locations. The world overall has nice variance and some cool designs, great soundtrack too.
dog

Himu

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2018, 09:11:08 AM »
People love Fallout 3, Skyrim, Oblivion.

Obsidian releases New Vegas which takes the Bethesda formula and makes it good.

People play Fallout 4 only to realize that Bethesda sucks at their own formula and can’t write and have played a modern Fallout game to directly compare the game to.

Years pass and they decide to half ass it even more on the next Fallout.

Normies start to realize that the spergs who complained about Fallout 3 and in some ways, Skyrim, were right the entire time.

Unless significant changes are made, I see TESVI suffering a bit.

Meanwhile, I still haven’t played FO4 because I knew from the reveal trailer that it’d be shit when you downsize RPG choice in text form to force voice work. Nice to see Bethesda exposed for what they are: hacks. Also that gamers have been burned by hype again.

Toodle loo.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 09:20:54 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2018, 09:09:12 PM »
It's weird because Bethesda actually has a fairly successful and well-regarded MMO, that they pulled out of the ashes of a mediocre release. Different teams and all that, but still.
dog

Freyj

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2018, 09:31:00 PM »
GS has this for $40 on BF.

Yikes

Freyj

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2018, 09:31:57 PM »
It's weird because Bethesda actually has a fairly successful and well-regarded MMO, that they pulled out of the ashes of a mediocre release. Different teams and all that, but still.

Blizzard has been releasing alternating good / bad expansions for WoW for over a decade now

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2018, 09:57:52 PM »
IIRC, EverQuest did that for years too.

Wait, fuck, didn't Ultima Online do the same exact thing?

*realizes he's only referencing these MMOs because of the old MAGAzines he's been consuming :doge*

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2018, 10:14:04 PM »
stolen from Jansen in garbage thread, found on YouTube for embedding purposes:

kingv

« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2018, 10:47:17 PM »
IIRC, EverQuest did that for years too.

Wait, fuck, didn't Ultima Online do the same exact thing?

*realizes he's only referencing these MMOs because of the old MAGAzines he's been consuming :doge*

Please let us know if meridian 59 did too.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2018, 02:08:05 AM »
stolen from Jansen in garbage thread, found on YouTube for embedding purposes:

:rofl oh god make sure you watch til the end - priceless

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2018, 01:21:11 PM »
this looks like straight ass
püp

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2018, 01:30:35 PM »
Not even a phat ass.  :(

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2018, 03:19:54 PM »
It's not a good game, it's actually really bad, but you have to go into in the perspective of it being a flaming pile of trash to actually get some enjoyment out of it.

yeah that's gonna be a no from me dog
püp

thetylerrob

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2018, 03:44:23 PM »
What do you mean when you say the writing in the audiologs is good? I can't reconcile that with the fact that they also put fucking dragons and other shit into Fallout lore.

kingv

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2018, 03:55:48 PM »
How do dragons make any sense?

I guess they make sense in a “week, we have some code and assets from Skyrim... maybe we could kind of detective them and plug it in”

jorma

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2018, 08:03:47 AM »
i have never been less hyped for a fallout game ever, but i got it anyway because it's fallout and all the others were great games

you'll enjoy it if you usually enjoy fallout, the multiplayer aspect never gets in the way. i haven't run into any griefing yet

but it's a lot buggier than usual and my sessions usually ends with the game freezing on me.

can't really recommend it to anyone who isn't so much into fallout that they haven't already bought it, but i'll still finish it and i'll still have a good time doing so

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2018, 11:15:41 AM »
For the people that actually want a good solo version of this game, get Stalker: Call of Pripyat.

Shuri

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2018, 08:53:52 PM »
Got my cheapo amazon copy,  :o at the 50gb extra patch! I guess I won’t be olayingn tonight. I’m not expecting much, i bought it to take breaks from Battlegrounds and play with buddies from work. We’ll see how it goes!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2018, 09:11:04 PM »
For the people that actually want a good solo version of this game, get Stalker: Call of Pripyat.

Yeah, I've only played that, like, a MILLION HOURS.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2018, 11:19:27 PM »
Also totally saw some alien monster, I don't know if you can fight them, but they warped away before I got the chance to shoot.

There are a number of weird cryptid monsters that you can fight at various points, I think one of them is supposed to be an alien or alien-like creature.
dog

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2018, 04:20:34 AM »
Can you play this game SP only? While being offline?

no

buy rdr2 borys
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2018, 03:12:45 PM »
Which, as opposed to AC Odyssey, is an actual good wrpg.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2018, 04:07:41 PM »
It's a western and you play a role.  :rollsafe
©@©™

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2018, 10:00:30 AM »
Thinking on? Get your fucking money back and demand a hand-written apology by Todd Howard.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2018, 10:05:09 AM »
Apparently only the core Bethesda team can wrangle their tech(nical debt) well enough to produce something presentable. Every time an outside or new team has to use it it results in a mess.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 10:39:15 AM by Rufus »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2018, 10:41:10 AM »
Your sacrifice will not be forgotten.  :salute