Author Topic: Chrome to power Windows' new default web browser  (Read 8753 times)

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!

Tasty

Re: Chrome to power Windows' new default web browser
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2020, 09:41:22 PM »
https://www.engadget.com/2020-04-05-microsoft-edge-second-most-popular-desktop-browser.html

Chromium-based Edge has passed Firefox after only three months of general availability to become the second-most used browser worldwide, according to NetMarketShare.

Occam

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2020, 11:45:16 PM »
Or you could just use Firefox. Fast, values your privacy, great add ons and you aren't supporting Google's unhealthy market power and unquenchable thirst for knowledge about you. A while ago, Firefox even added a built-in protection against the omnipresent social media data collection by the Zuckerbergs of this world. Unless you actually enjoy serving your corporate overlords. In that case, carry on.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2020, 11:55:41 PM »
Use all the browsers, confuse them with a flood of data. :rollsafe

Occam

« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2020, 12:12:33 AM »
There are Firefox plugins for sending fake browser data. ;)

thisismyusername

« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2020, 12:26:00 AM »
If you're already on Android, you're basically giving Google your private data in the first place. :idont Switching to Firefox, even there, is kind of... pointless in that case.

But even then: Switching from Chrome to Edge just sends the data not to Google but to MS/Bing instead. :doge

benjipwns

« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2020, 12:31:46 AM »
does Brave send my data to Brendan Eich personally?

Occam

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2020, 08:33:30 AM »
If you're already on Android, you're basically giving Google your private data in the first place. :idont Switching to Firefox, even there, is kind of... pointless in that case.

Nah, you can use Android without a Google account and without using Playstore. If in addition you deactivate Google's services and use Firefox, they get pretty much nothing.
Alternatively, if you are hardcore enough you can install LineageOS and completely do away with Google.

thisismyusername

« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2020, 08:39:18 AM »
I think we've been over this, or it's another person that I talked to this about but...

Yes, you can do that. No a vast majority of people aren't going to do that. Because Android without the Google services is pretty useless. :doge

I know of F-droid and Lineage and all that shit. That doesn't negate what I said. Most folks aren't going to wipe their out of box phone and install Lineage on it because most folks aren't that paranoid about giving their data to Google.

So "switch to Firefox!!! it doesn't give your data to Google!!!" is a losing proposition is what I was getting at. Google already has their data in one form or another. UNLESS this person just exited a vagina/birthed and therefore hasn't made a Gmail account, hasn't used an Android phone, has never installed Chrome, never touched Google DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4), never used Google Search engine... etc. it's IMPOSSIBLE to avoid Google getting your data in a way.

It's nice that Firefox is giving Zuck the finger, but you can already do that in Chrome or not by manually editing your DNS files if you're that anal.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2020, 10:50:15 AM »
been testing new edge for a while at work. its really fast, feels better than chrome and takes up less resources too. but it has the same problem as old edge in that it doesn't work as well as IE with microsoft's own platforms (mainly sharepoint for us)

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2020, 11:45:41 AM »
where my mozilla/ddg #resistance at?

we are the spark that will light the fire that will burn the whole of google down.

Occam

« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2020, 05:58:39 PM »
On the one hand, some people here stan for Bernie Sanders like there is no tomorrow, on the other they can't even be bothered to change their browser to curb corporate influence a little.
Ever wonder why "the revolution" doesn't happen? There you go.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2020, 06:36:39 PM »
Strange equivalences you're drawing here. :dayum

benjipwns

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2020, 06:40:30 PM »
It's called being ironic, Occam.

Tasty

« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2020, 07:09:14 PM »
Chromium and Firefox :ohyeah

Safari :nope

Occam

« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2020, 11:13:18 AM »
I think we've been over this, or it's another person that I talked to this about but...

Yes, you can do that. No a vast majority of people aren't going to do that. Because Android without the Google services is pretty useless. :doge

I know of F-droid and Lineage and all that shit. That doesn't negate what I said. Most folks aren't going to wipe their out of box phone and install Lineage on it because most folks aren't that paranoid about giving their data to Google.

So "switch to Firefox!!! it doesn't give your data to Google!!!" is a losing proposition is what I was getting at. Google already has their data in one form or another. UNLESS this person just exited a vagina/birthed and therefore hasn't made a Gmail account, hasn't used an Android phone, has never installed Chrome, never touched Google DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4), never used Google Search engine... etc. it's IMPOSSIBLE to avoid Google getting your data in a way.

It's nice that Firefox is giving Zuck the finger, but you can already do that in Chrome or not by manually editing your DNS files if you're that anal.

Sorry for the late reply, I forgot about it until now:
No, it's not.

https://lineage.microg.org/

Additionally, you can use Aurora Store to anonymously (and with fake location) download any apps from Google's Playstore:
https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.aurora.store/

And while this may surprise you, there are quite a few people without gmail and Google account. I for one have never had one.
I understand that you are unwilling to do a little "legwork" to find out how to protect your privacy, but it's not only possible but relatively simple too nowadays, thanks to the hard work of many awesome coders from around the world who donate their time and expertise to create and improve open source solutions that are free to use for everyone.

Occam

« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2020, 11:16:10 AM »
LOL

spoiler (click to show/hide)
The internet is virtually ad free for me.
[close]

Occam

« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2020, 11:25:47 AM »
In a way, you could say Google is paying me (in the form of free services) :D
Considering they pay little to no tax, that seems only fair.
If you profit off society, you should give something back in return.

Tasty

« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2020, 02:08:43 PM »
[...] What this means is that everyone wins and we get the best of bost worlds. Microsoft still "gets their own browser" (for marketing purposes), but performance on Electron and Chromium-based apps/browsers will improve significantly once it becomes as integrated into Windows as Edge currently is.

:trumps

"Google Chrome’s memory use could drop significantly after adopting a new Windows 10 feature"

The company has confirmed that it has already started using the new value in its Chromium-based Edge browser, with early tests showing a memory reduction of up to 27% on the Windows 10 May 2020 update.

Google Chrome could also benefit from the new value, and according to a recently added commit on the Chromium Gerrit, a change may be coming soon.

Tasty

« Reply #80 on: June 25, 2020, 08:36:49 PM »
Comcast, Mozilla strike deal to encrypt DNS lookups in Firefox

That's the kind of headline you wanna read :asuka

Tasty

« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2020, 11:55:38 PM »
Android not browsers but relevant to MS getting software cucked by Google.

https://9to5google.com/2020/07/07/microsoft-android-os-development-surface-duo-in-house/

9to5Google confirmed the report of Microsoft performing in-house Android OS development work, as the Surface Duo’s Principal Software Architect has begun contributing to the Android Open Source Project as of last month. Based on our reading of the code changes, we believe Microsoft is seeking to get the Surface Duo to pass Android’s Compatibility Test Suite.

Microsoft tryin' real hard to get them sweet Google apps for their first Android phone. 8)

Makes Amazon look wicked lazy and greedy in comparison honestly.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2020, 06:53:12 AM »
Well don't use Window 10 home edition like plebs, it doesn't auto update then.... They probably just got it free via win7 update.

Tasty

« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2020, 09:22:59 AM »
The fact there are still Pro and Home versions of Windows is a relic of the 90s that doesn't have a place in modern OS licensing IMO.