Author Topic: Pogi-BB, Himu, and HoMoMo: Get through back issues of One Piece for $2/month.  (Read 1136 times)

thisismyusername

• https://goo.gl/SEuEBL Stay pressed, DNC.
Chapter 500. #OverTheHillNearly!

400-490 chapters to go (so far).

Y_Y @ Robin.

:gladbron

:lol

TIME TO BRING OUT THE TISSUES AND HANKIES, FOLKS:

:uguu

:fbm

I'm not crying, you're crying. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

:phil  :itagaki

:science :jgames :bedroomeyes

:itagaki :rofl

HOLY SHIT.  :heh :neogaf The wanted poster was of a Sanji look-alike.

Sanji beat him so hard he became pretty though! :uguu (But he can't blink, supposedly. :lol )

So, we're now up to Luffy and Crew trying to find a painter for their new ship to go underwater (as supposed into the sky) for the next island on the Log Pose. Once they do that, they're in the "New World" after that which means the back-half of the Grand Line.

I'm really enjoying the manga. A lot. It keeps cranking up the action, which when reading Dragonball (but this is mostly a complaint about Z), I really miss. Dragonball's "I have to find someone stronger. AHHHHH *training montage*" and that shit gets majorly boring. (I'm mostly reading that for a straight-guy crush, tbh) Whereas here Oda seems to go "yeah, that previous arc? I'm going to throw Luffy and Crew into a loop and while Luffy and crew punch/kick/slice/etc. the shit out of folks, they are also trying to help others while these new Devil Fruit powers change the dynamics of these fights up into crazy proportions" and it's just REALLY FUCKING GOOD and a breath of fresh air as someone that generally doesn't read Shonen manga because of said Dragonball bullshit plotlines.

Cindi Mayweather

• you took the chip, dipped it, took a bite, and dipped it again
Oh shit. I hope you appreciated Thriller Bark because...well...enjoy the ride and see when, where, and why One Piece becomes a cultural phenomenon. Its greatest arc (so far). Let's just say, TB is the last of the feel good arcs. That's all I'll say.

thisismyusername

Chapter 500-529 (I keep the 10's for the next time I read. 9 or so Chapters, but I'm trying to catch up so I'm 100 chapters a month...):

OH SHIT.

:lol Island of women never have seen a man. :lol

:rofl I love when Oda puts heart-eyes on one of the sexes being enthralled by a beauty. It's always a funny thing to me.

Luffy: :supergay

Kidding. Oda made a comparison when he peeped at Nami as "Usopp was in the room and so he acted like a teen boy with him" which is hilarious. I forget the actual response but it was in the SBS/question corner.

Turning point in the Island saga where Luffy wins over most of the women's hearts, eventually.

:neogaf :neogaf :neogaf Sanji getting a taste of his own medicine. :neogaf :neogaf :neogaf

:lol

---

So we're up to another jailbreak (so soon!?) but this time around, it's saving Luffy's brother, Ace!, from execution!

Bonus: Buggy, Mr. 3, and Crocodile are also there. And Buggy and Mr. 3 are helping Luffy go down (while they want to go UP!) to see Ace/break him out.

It's cool to see Oda revisit old characters and allow the crew to change their minds on them. Old enemies becoming allies/friends or just being annoying.

Cindi Mayweather

Enjoy. It took Oda ten years to build up to that arc.

thisismyusername

Chapters 530-559:

(Bon clay and her being the GLBT representation is a bit  :-\ but I love it too much to be :trigger )

I love it when Luffy gets stars in his eyes over stuff like this.  :lol

:fbm

OH SHIT. Buggy is the brother of Shanks, if I'm reading that right.

REAL FUCKING SPOILERS RIGHT HERE

I said "oh shit" out loud. I wasn't expecting that twist at all.

:uguu The power of family.
---

Anyway, the "war" has started. Luffy's crew is still broken apart (I guess this is where the time-skip I've heard about comes in soon) is Luffy is nearly at Ace's side. Meanwhile, the war is going on all around him and shit is popping off. I had to stop for the night (as reading another 20 or so chapters to catch up to my 100 chapters a month goal would burn me out to like 1AM-2AM on catching up at my current reading speeds), but MANNNNNN I don't want to. This war popping off is good reading.

Cindi Mayweather

Shanks and Buggy are “blood brothers” as in, they were in the same crew for the pirate king.

thisismyusername

Oh, ok. That explains it.

Chapters 560-579:

Not a lot of images, but I'll dump them anyway.

:fbm :fbm :fbm :fbm :fbm :fbm :fbm I liked Ace. I'm sad we didn't get much of him in the series. Though his death is as impactful as Andrea's in the Walking Dead, IMO.

:fbm :fbm :fbm :fbm :fbm :fbm :fbm Broke Luffy. :fbm :fbm :fbm :fbm :fbm :fbm :fbm

Oh shit. Blackbeard getting ready for that Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 trip of Diablerie.

:uguu Shanks protecting Koby (who got knocked the fuck out by Luffy earlier) for saying "STOP THIS MADNESS THE WAR IS OVER!" :uguu
----

So, the war arc was really good. But I'm sad Ace was a sacrificial lamb for it. I'm also seeing the manga starting to use "Kami" a lot, which is making me :confused because the wiki makes it sound like Star Wars which is  :-\

thisismyusername

Chapters 580-599 (CHAPTER 600! 300 to go!):

Sabo dies. :fbm
Wiki spoilers
Title Page of one of the later chapters in this block shows all three as adults. Googling the wiki to see if that was true, there's an adult Sabo in the anime, so I assume he's still alive instead of being blown to hell in the sea. Also the Eagle dude of Alabasta is alive.

:rofl

"The first part was really rude." :lol

"Kami" is finally explained!:

TIME SKIP HAPPENS BEFORE CHAPTER 600, CHAPTER 598 OR SO:

Oh thank god, Oda is avoiding a Chi-chi (even if the Snake Princess is hilarious enough to where if her and Luffy DID get together it wouldn't be annoying).

I'm laughing. But at the same time I have to :snoop at Oda and this gay-joke-expense.

Chopper even in fan-drawings is my spirit animal of One Piece. :uguu

thisismyusername

Chapter 620-639:

Sanji nearly dying to nosebleeds in earlier chapters. :lol

----

This arc seems pretty slow. We're at the Mermaid/Fishman island, and... one of the older Fishmen with a SEETHING hatrid of humans is trying to take over the nation now. Jimbai is like "Luffy, please don't go. If you do the fishmen will hate humans forever-more" but Luffy is like "nah, bro, they have my crew. I'm going" so they attempt to fight.

Anyway, Sanji is the voice of reason. Maybe in the next chapters Jimbai and Luffy will team up. :yeshrug That's for another day.

Cindi Mayweather

Fishman island...is an odd beast. relish that it's short. It's mostly set up for later. a lot of New World has been slower than what was before but is also better on re-read. On the current arc it is now back to pre- time skip quality. Fishman Island is one of my least favorite arcs in the series fwiw. Consider it a treat for seeing the SH's get bopped and tossed around constantly from Sabaody and on. It's a very political, plot focused arc that gets better with age. I think it also sufficiently humanizes Arlong and makes his motivations more realistic even if he's still cruel.

In the last few arcs the story OP is doing is incredible.

And FWIW, despite what bad lgbt jokes made by One Piece I still wish Ivankov was real so she could me cis. I find her an empowering character as a trans person.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 11:11:51 PM by Cindi Mayweather »

Cindi Mayweather

I'm also a big fan of Inazuma.

I get the criticism towards Oda and how he treats LGBT but this fucking character is one of my favorite LGBT representations in anime/manga.

The Ziggy Stardust bolt...the gender changing...

Such a cool character.

MAKE ME CIS IVANKOV-SAMA

thisismyusername

Chapters 630-639:

:uguu

One thing I've noticed since Volume 63 or so, Viz has changed the digital versions to have a "space" for the two-piece spreads. It's really annoying to see a white-space for something that digitally was together. I get why (the scanning for the book makes it easier I guess) but it's really annoying to see the white space on Desktop, I've switched from phone-reading on the app to desktop for this purpose (to have the two-page spreads look better) and Oda seems to be doing a ton of them now. :|

I want a Chopper plush, so badly. :uguu

Jumbo Dumpling. :lol

I'm also a big fan of Inazuma.

I get the criticism towards Oda and how he treats LGBT but this fucking character is one of my favorite LGBT representations in anime/manga.

The Ziggy Stardust bolt...the gender changing...

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Such a cool character.

MAKE ME CIS IVANKOV-SAMA

I forget, is he the one that lives in Ivankov's hair and has the power to cut anything? He was pretty cool, but seemed not very used in the jail-break arc. Maybe the Anime gives him more time.

I really like Ivankov because despite the "ugh" gay jokes, Ivankov kinda subverts the tropes (so to speak) and it's clear Oda puts a lot of "care" into that character (IIRC he likes the Rocky Horror Picture show and based the character on that, the voice-actor as well is one that he specifically targeted because he liked their drag performance? It's in one of the SBS's for that arc....)

thisismyusername

I also made this thread mostly for Pogi to post outside the trash thread and he isn't posting in it. :fbm

Cindi Mayweather

Yeah, Ivankov's partner.

Also Ivankov's group has the rabbit dude. The rabbit dude rocks. He's just an extra but his design is hilarious to me.

thisismyusername

Chapters 640-649:

"Oh, Nami! My I see your pantalo--*stab*" :lol

"A haiku..."  :lol

Oda is a good sport for answering these perverted questions and Shonen Jump/Viz actually allowing them.

Chopper... :uguu

So ends the Fishman saga. The racism that ran deep is starting to change thanks to Luffy.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 12:24:54 AM by thisismyusername »

Cindi Mayweather

The best thing about is how my girl, Nami, my favorite character, doesn't hate any Fishmen due to what Arlong did. She really showed some amazing compassion.

PogiJones

I also made this thread mostly for Pogi to post outside the trash thread and he isn't posting in it. :fbm

Oh dang, I didn't realize you were chronicling your read-through. I never really look at any other threads. Only saw you were still posting here because I searched my name  :ego

Looks like you're enjoying it?

The best thing about is how my girl, Nami, my favorite character, doesn't hate any Fishmen due to what Arlong did. She really showed some amazing compassion.
I actually disliked that, because it didn't seem very plausible to me. If 100% of the fishmen you've met have actively murdered the ones you love and enslaved you and your town, I don't think it's possible to get out of that situation without prejudice. And then forgiving Hatsu so easily just added to the implausibility, especially if you go back and read the arc and see that Hatsu cared as little about the humans as his pals, laughing at the murder and suffering. His character was a pretty blatant retcon.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 01:48:31 PM by PogiJones »

Cindi Mayweather

I never really look at any other threads.

Only saw you were still posting here because I searched my name  :ego

Proof all you need that threads regulars are weirdos.

PogiJones

When you only visit the website every few days, it's by far the easiest way to see if someone responded to you, instead of trying to read everything that's been posted since then.

Cindi Mayweather

this is why we need a forum upgrad with notifications on who quoted who and tag people