Author Topic: Holy fuck, I missed reading books  (Read 6033 times)

Himu

Re: Holy fuck, I missed reading books
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »
I mean. It seems obvious to me that it'd have a bit of a slant. It's called "How corporations won their civil rights", right? That naturally brings up the argument that corporations aren't people. Hence "We The Corporations." It kind of wears where it's coming from on its sleeve. Literally.

Because this is the cover.

(Image removed from quote.)

So I recognize the slant it'll have. Hell, that's why I want to read it in the first place!
That's not, in any way, my complaint.

Sorry for being dumb. I'll re-read what you said.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2018, 01:44:40 AM »
Finished The Color Purple. The movie couldn’t have possibly prepared me. Holy fuck.
IYKYK

Snoopycat_

« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2018, 08:13:02 AM »
I'd recommend David Sedaris. He's a very funny writer and he's a gay! This is excellent because you can show off his books to strangers in coffee shops so they can see how progressive and superior you are and make them wish they were dead and covered in sewage.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2018, 08:52:40 AM »
I'm guessing you've read Toni Morrison Cindi?

Beloved, Jazz and Paradise are the go-to books.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2018, 09:33:42 AM »
I'd recommend David Sedaris. He's a very funny writer and he's a gay! This is excellent because you can show off his books to strangers in coffee shops so they can see how progressive and superior you are and make them wish they were dead and covered in sewage.

Black people can’t read David Sedaris. When they look at the pages, they see blank. We got lots of returns on his books from minorities when I worked in a shop.
serge

Himu

« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »
I'm guessing you've read Toni Morrison Cindi?

Beloved, Jazz and Paradise are the go-to books.

Beloved yes
IYKYK

Snoopycat_

« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2018, 01:07:36 PM »
[Black people can’t read David Sedaris. When they look at the pages, they see blank. We got lots of returns on his books from minorities when I worked in a shop.
[/quote]

Huh. I thought that was my Ted Danson book club trying to keep me down again. Guess I was a bit hasty with those bomb threats. 

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2018, 11:48:38 PM »
He's a very funny writer and he's a gay!

dog

Himu

« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2018, 11:03:35 AM »
I’ve shelved House of Gold twice. I put it down for Do Android Dream and later for The Color Purple. I’m still only 40 pages into it. The book of a German Jew with a powerful family that owns a bank across Europe with a French cousin she’s close who is being married to an Englishman the year of WW1 excites me. But it’s taking forever and it wanders.
IYKYK

Snoopycat_

« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2018, 10:39:04 PM »
Quote from: Great Rumbler
[quote

Her emphasis on the twist makes me wish he'd been gay just to see which way they'd have run with it

Light hearted amusement -

Meet the man who made Everest fabulous

or suspicious cynicism -

Gay men camping. Should we be worried?

Himu

« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2018, 04:44:09 PM »
I’ve always wondered: is dean koontz good? You see his books everywhere and he seems to have a billion books.
IYKYK

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2018, 05:20:14 PM »
I liked Koontz when I was in 4th grade.  Steven King with more of an obsession with teenagers having sex.

Any gangbangs  :doge
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 05:43:54 PM by Purple Filth »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2018, 08:17:51 PM »
David Sedaris is fucking awful.  The only reason why he still gets work is because is blackmailing the right people, I’m sure of it.
🍆🍆

Himu

« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2018, 08:45:54 PM »
I liked Koontz when I was in 4th grade.  Steven King with more of an obsession with teenagers having sex.

I don't get how some of you were reading shit like that in the 4th grade. I was reading Goosebumps and The Magic School Bus.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2018, 09:01:31 PM »

I don't get how some of you were reading shit like that in the 4th grade. I was reading Goosebumps and The Magic School Bus.

At that age I was just reading more or less the same things my dad and older brother were reading: lots of 80s/90s fantasy and Arthur C Clarke.
dog

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2018, 04:07:38 AM »
Nothing made my parents genitals hard like their kids having "Nth grade reading levels at the age of X" and being able to brag about it.  That combined with their belief they shouldn't censor anything had me reading horror novels by age 10 and humping the floor in the corner of the living room while they watched NC-17 foriegn films.
this. my parents made me read a bunch of classics like dickens when i was 10 so i could name drop them in interviews for secondary schools

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2018, 03:06:55 PM »

Which books specifically

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2018, 03:13:40 PM »
The Expanse is the only book series i'm actually interested in

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2018, 09:05:26 AM »

At that age I was just reading more or less the same things my dad and older brother were reading: lots of 80s/90s fantasy and Arthur C Clarke.

Man, I love Rendezvous with Rama. Fantastic book.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »

Man, I love Rendezvous with Rama. Fantastic book.

It's a great book. The sequels [mainly written by Gentry Lee] are straight trash, though.
dog

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2018, 07:57:53 PM »
I’ve always wondered: is dean koontz good? You see his books everywhere and he seems to have a billion books.

No.

Do you like Dan Brown, John Grisham, or other books more easily found in airport bookstores than libraries? If so, Koontz is your author. Sleazy, lame, predictable, cheap. Stick with King, Peter Straub, or for bonus points try Jack O'Connell.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2018, 08:06:56 PM »
Got a kindle.  This is pretty nice.

Himu

« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2018, 11:59:26 PM »

No.

Do you like Dan Brown, John Grisham, or other books more easily found in airport bookstores than libraries? If so, Koontz is your author. Sleazy, lame, predictable, cheap. Stick with King, Peter Straub, or for bonus points try Jack O'Connell.

So they’re YA except for adults. Got it.
IYKYK

Cryo

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2019, 09:52:46 PM »
started Hyperion yesterday, wasn’t expecting the format of the story and it’s pretty wonderful worldbuilding whenever it’s not causing me to feel squeamish!

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2019, 03:38:44 PM »
You keeping up with your one book a week thing, Cindi?

Probably won't manage that myself this year since I'm reading big ass history books.

Himu

« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2019, 03:51:05 PM »
Yeah I still do one book a week. Haven’t kept up with this thread. What are you reading?
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2019, 04:11:02 PM »
De eeuw van mijn vader by Geert Mak. (My Father's Century when translated.)

It's both a biography of his dad's life but also delves into the entire history of the timeframe in which he lived. Covering the first World War,     Interbellum and Second World War from both a Dutch and Dutch-Indonesian perspective. Also covers the pillarisation of the Netherlands as his dad was a Calvinist.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2019, 07:30:02 PM »
Almost through 'They Mostly Come Out At Night' (Yarnsworld #1).  Really like it despite the rough writing. 

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2019, 10:21:58 PM »
might as well post this in one of the threads and since this is up higher: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/qvq99b/how-to-download-the-books-that-just-entered-the-public-domain

Snoopycat_

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2019, 02:55:05 PM »
David Sedaris is fucking awful.  The only reason why he still gets work is because is blackmailing the right people, I’m sure of it.

No he's not. People like him and Bill Bryson write for people who have read all the big brain books and have realized that they are too shallow to ever really understand or care much about anything beyond what pizza to order. Did you know there's an entire wall of Noam Chomsky's books in Manchester Uni? A wall! A whole wall of books and they're not even good. They're all about linguistics. I read 4 of them. I have no idea what they were about. Never had that problem with a David Sedaris book.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2019, 04:16:58 PM »
Recently read the books in the Stormlight Archives from Brandon Sanderson

I liked them and might check out his other series (namely Mistborn) :yeshrug

Himu

« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2019, 04:26:24 PM »
De eeuw van mijn vader by Geert Mak. (My Father's Century when translated.)

It's both a biography of his dad's life but also delves into the entire history of the timeframe in which he lived. Covering the first World War,     Interbellum and Second World War from both a Dutch and Dutch-Indonesian perspective. Also covers the pillarisation of the Netherlands as his dad was a Calvinist.

That interests me greatly.
IYKYK

Snoopycat_

« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2019, 08:27:50 PM »

I think they were about linguistics, my dude

Well, who can say

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2019, 10:55:54 PM »

No he's not. People like him and Bill Bryson write for people who have read all the big brain books and have realized that they are too shallow to ever really understand or care much about anything beyond what pizza to order. Did you know there's an entire wall of Noam Chomsky's books in Manchester Uni? A wall! A whole wall of books and they're not even good. They're all about linguistics. I read 4 of them. I have no idea what they were about. Never had that problem with a David Sedaris book.

You’re officially in the TVC’s Sweethearts Club.
serge

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2019, 11:10:48 AM »
Got Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Beach from some second-hand shop. I pretty much like scouring second-hand places just as much as reading the books.

Himu

« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2019, 11:43:06 AM »
Same!

Started Lolita for a re-read last night. I'm also starting Michelle Obama's book.
IYKYK

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2019, 11:59:42 AM »
Lolita is amazing. But I can't stress hard enough how everyone should give Ada or ardor a try as well. Nabokov at his craziest finest imo

Himu

« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2019, 12:56:18 PM »
Never read any thing else by Naokov. I'll add em to the list.
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2019, 05:51:11 AM »
Got Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Beach from some second-hand shop. I pretty much like scouring second-hand places just as much as reading the books.

:respect

Himu

« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2019, 02:42:45 PM »
Lolita is still probably the best overall book I've read in terms of prose and yet the contents are so disgusting and foul. I think reading Lolita was the first time I read something and it felt like I experienced all five sense, and it's no different this time. I really need to get on Nabokov's other writings.

Also, have you all read about this?

https://medium.com/@editors_91459/the-real-story-that-inspired-lolita-is-somehow-more-disturbing-than-the-book-d14167cd157a

Like holy shit.
IYKYK

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2019, 03:40:08 AM »
But the enchanter is written a good 10 years before that, and is very much a diet Lolita, with all these similarities there already.

Considering the amount of times he has written about young girls, I don't think he needed all that much inspiration other than his own mind. He manages to get it into even books that has very little to do with the subject, like Transparent Things as well.

Being nabokov he of course rejects any idea of him projecting himself into his characters. But you gotta start wondering, when it's such a common theme through his books.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 03:47:52 AM by Mr Gilhaney »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2019, 04:48:06 AM »
Got Shusaku Endo's Silence and The Samurai from the library.

Basically became interested in reading these because it's closely related to the Dutch-Japanese trade route that was established after the Portuguese people got kicked out. Think it was because the Portuguese tried to convert the Japanese people into catholics and the Dutch traders didn't care about pushing the Protestant belief on them. We're only interested in the money.