Author Topic: Game  (Read 17675 times)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: What did you finish in 2019?
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2019, 11:22:45 PM »
Sonic Mania - Honestly? It's not that good. There's way too many frustrating platforming sections in the boss areas for my taste (the airplane level and like... the gear level were very annoying for me) and the second half is just pure frustration.

That said? It's a good "return to form" for Sonic, and the team behind it clearly cares about the series a lot more than Sonic Team.

But for me? I dunno if I'd get a Sonic Mania 2 or whatever after this. I think the series has ran it's course for me.

thisismyusername

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2019, 03:11:57 PM »
Final Fantasy 13-2 - PC port is atrocious in regards to hanging and RAM eating. But the game itself is ok. It's not a massive improvement from 13 that people say it is and the story is a complete mess.

I did like the BAD END though.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2019, 03:56:00 AM »
7) Steamworld Dig 2

Just like the first one a charming little game, this one seemed a bit easier. Could have done with a few bosses and a weee bit more challenge.

Looking forward to play Heist and Quest.

7/10

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2019, 03:58:25 AM »
10) Oxenfree (01.05.2019)

11) Axiom Verge (10.05.2019)

(Image removed from quote.)

Not bad for a FAQ-less run without blind shooting at walls for secrets. Now I can use the guide and get the secret ending as there are none other optional or secret bosses just drilling walls.

Not a bad game after all but very unfocused. Lower tier Metroidvania IMO when compared to Ori, Guacamelee!, Hollow Knight etc. Why do I need 20 weapons when only 3 are useful (green ball of lightning, green lightning, enemy pass through beam) and weapons are not a part of the locked door/ need a colored beam mechanic.?

I enjoyed this one more then Guacamele which I didnt finish, think the story, setting and music are factors in that as they really stood out for me.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2019, 08:29:38 AM »
Some recent stuff:

Xbox One

Metro Exodus

Vita

The Longest Five Minutes
Dying: Reborn
Death Mark
Cosmic Star Heroine
Oceanhorn

PS4

What Remains of Edith Finch

3DS

Persona Q2
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2019, 09:29:52 AM »
To say I *miss* JRPGs with 2D Backgrounds is an understatement... they look & feel so great still. Never thought I'd get the same nostalgia I have for Baldur's Gate type of RPGs for PSX era JRPGs but here I am, lol.

Infinity Engine made a come back at least, so maybe there's hope yet! At the very least, I wish we could get some JRPGs that approximated that style with cinematic camera angles [it wouldn't even be that hard!], instead of the same old over-the-shoulder, lakitu-holding-a-camera-on-a-stick style that every game uses now.
dog

paprikastaude

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2019, 09:36:38 AM »
tbh all games could portray more interesting/creative art directions with fixed camera angles compared to over the shoulder perspectives. JRPGs, survival horror, even God of War. OTS is limiting more than anything.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2019, 12:28:52 PM »
Finally got around to Spec Ops: The Line over the weekend. Probably would have been super cool when it came out, or at least been more impressive, but some of the set pieces are still really neat. I got annoyed with normal difficulty and shamefully put it on easy as I really just wanted a jog through, so it was basically just an edgelord murder simulator.

:joker

I was kind of disappointed on googling the choices didn't matter much in the overall narrative, but it saved me some youtubing.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2019, 12:34:24 PM »
8 ) Katana Zero

Def scratches that Miami Hotline itch, its basically the same concept. Pixel art, thumping soundtrack and short, insta death levels. Oh yeah you are also an on call assassin.

What's different? It's a side scroller where you will be expected to do some jumping but nothing crazy. You have a sword instead of guns.

The levels get better the further you get, but the game never reaches those Hotline heights. The game is a lot more forgiving and even later on I wasn't pulling my hair out. They can still be challenging and you will die but it's not a spiritual experience, although you will have that "niiiceee i did it" feeling more then once.

Think part of the "problem" is that you only have this one guy with one weapon, whereas in Hotline you were nudged to experiment witg masks and weapons.

The story is also a bit of a let down, the game is shorter then Hotline and my biggest gripe is that it ends on a "to be continued..." Eff off. Kind of made me feel cheated. Indy dev and game and they built in a sequel eventhough the game is short.

Still the gameplay is tight and I had a good time.

8/10

thisismyusername

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2019, 05:50:49 PM »
Operation Darkness (NA/Atlus) - Assassinate Hitler and his Vampire Cohorts while being a Werewolf: The SRPG. Pretty jank SRPG that cranks up the difficulty continuously to where enemies are getting like 3 turns before yours.

I enjoyed it... for the most part... despite the camera and said difficulty. I liked the idea of procuring weapons and items WAY before they're sold in the supply depot off enemies and liked the idea of keeping your "weight low" to get more turns. But I hated the last few missions (24-26 is done in one go, no resupplies unlike 80% of the game) because of dragons and other bullshit killing two of my party members consistently to where I had to mop up before reviving them.

I dunno if I'll do the "Eagle's Nest"/EX Missions since those are in doors which makes the bombing run attack I abused from the British secret intel bloke useless. :lol

thisismyusername

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2019, 08:35:41 PM »
Dying Light - Oh boy, if you want a slightly "improved" Dead Island, boy do I have the game for you. :doge

(That's not a glowing endorsement)

Superhot - Super. Hot. Super. Hot. Super. Hot. Pretty short (like 2-3 hours) but the gameplay is interesting enough. I wouldn't recommend it for more than the $10 I paid for it, but it's a good shooter that tries something different from the norm. So I'd recommend it.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2019, 03:43:29 PM »
Dragon Quest XI (Platinumed)
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD (beat all of the secret bosses, got the Deeper Dive ending)
Cosmic Star Heroine (Platinumed)
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (100%ed)
Final Fantasy XV (new Royal Edition Content - Episode Gladio/Prompto/Ignis/Ardyn, Chapter 13 verse 2, new Chapter 14, Terra Wars crossover mission, FFXIV crossover mission)
Xenoblade 2: Torna: The Golden Country (did everything except beat the 4 super bosses)
^_^

thisismyusername

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2019, 04:40:30 PM »
Final Fantasy Type-0/Agito XIII: HD - PC port is pretty bad. Like it's "better" than the FF13/13-2 port, but that's not a glowing praise thing.

Story starts off good then kinda crashes in the middle. Then it comes back pretty strong near the end. It's an anime "kids in an academy go to war" story, but it at least has some grit to it compared to other animu stories like it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2019, 05:47:49 PM »
Dying Light - Oh boy, if you want a slightly "improved" Dead Island, boy do I have the game for you. :doge

I liked it a lot more than Dead Island. :idont
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2019, 06:28:17 PM »
Final Fantasy Type-0/Agito XIII: HD - PC port is pretty bad. Like it's "better" than the FF13/13-2 port, but that's not a glowing praise thing.

Story starts off good then kinda crashes in the middle. Then it comes back pretty strong near the end. It's an anime "kids in an academy go to war" story, but it at least has some grit to it compared to other animu stories like it.

I thought it had a cool conceit (on how when a person dies, others forget that they really existed) but the game didn't really explore this too much, instead it just went in a million different directions with a totally ridiculous ending. I liked how each character controlled fairly different, and combat (although simplistic and janky) was more enjoyable to me than FFXV's. The repetitive environments really hurt the game's appeal though.
^_^

thisismyusername

« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2019, 11:59:22 PM »

I liked it a lot more than Dead Island. :idont

Honestly: I don't like either. I bought it for the Parkour and that was cool. But the zombie combat is ass. Like, as bad as Dead Island 1's. It's really hard for me to stomach the fact that I'm slashing zombies in the face with a knife like 2-5 times and they still aren't dead until I exploit EXP gain max level to make that MUUUUCH faster but still :trash feeling.

I thought it had a cool conceit (on how when a person dies, others forget that they really existed) but the game didn't really explore this too much, instead it just went in a million different directions with a totally ridiculous ending. I liked how each character controlled fairly different, and combat (although simplistic and janky) was more enjoyable to me than FFXV's. The repetitive environments really hurt the game's appeal though.

Supposedly, there's a "hidden ending" that is unlocked once you beat the game (but I had to [as terrible as it is to admit] Youtube the cutscenes for the first playthrough because Windows 10 somehow broke those on the port to where the game will freeze/crash if you don't slam "SKIP DIS SHIT" at it) to where the party is still alive, but I honestly think them sacrificing themselves is nice. I don't like Rem and Machina living though. And I don't like that the secret ending (and the reason the kids die in the first place because of your first bit about how people forget the dead) buries information behind a "lol second playthrough" (on PSP anyway) gimmick.

paprikastaude

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2019, 09:46:37 AM »
June:

Bloodstained 2 - In the beginning it felt like an okay Igavania, but it really is a game that keeps getting better as its mechanics open up. There's the right amount of customisation, the right way of doing exploration, all around fun boss fights and great music. Two negatives though: A few moments of progression were too cryptic. I had to look up a guide three or four times, which is way more than even prior Igavanias. And I hate looking up guides. Other than that, the game simply doesn't look good and using kickstarter faces are a sin.

Crash Team Racing remake - The novelty of playing something close/partially superior to modern Mario Kart on PS1 was greater than in the remaster, but even on modern consoles the mechanics reign supreme. It's inherently satisfying to master manual boosting and chaining boosts throughout its well paced tracks opportunities. The characters are kind of mediocre in their modern interations, but the gameplay was simply ahead of its time and still is in some aspects.

Catherine Classic
- I'm not great at puzzle games, but easy mode was somewhat managable without resorting to a guide. What hooked me is its great style, not-high school related story and I enjoyed the visual novel parts. The best puzzle sections were the boss fights, they've been well executed all around. I'm not really happy with how the mysteries were resolved though. It felt like Scooby Doo reveals that didn't fit the rest of the story at all.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2019, 09:26:02 AM »
Xbox:

Inside
Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchridion
A Plague Tale: Innocence

Vita/PS4:

Fallen Legion: Flames of Rebellion (played one playthrough on Vita and dear god it ran like shit. Tried the other playthroughs on PS4 and way more enjoyable)

PS4:

Days Gone
fat

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2019, 05:15:04 PM »
Ruiner
Mega Man 11
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
REmake 2
DMC V
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 4
FFXV
Thomas Was Alone
FAR: Lone Sails
OH!

thisismyusername

« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2019, 11:46:05 AM »
Yakuza: Kiwami (Translators note: Kiwami means extreme) - What I expected: Japanese GTA. What I got: A beat-em-up with a story about you getting an adoptive daughter, while
spoiler (click to show/hide)
everyone around you dies
[close]
. Combat wasn't that good (IMO) to slog through the story that is barely there for like 80% of it which then picks up into "interesting" right before the end only for the swerve to "wait, what" territory with a politician coming in (of course).

I bought 0 on the Steam sale, but I dunno if I want to go through it after going through Kiwami. Majima everywhere was fucking annoying as hell, and I just wanted to do the story, so the mini-games and shit did nothing for me (especially as there wasn't an arcade Virtua Fighter like the Yakuza 5 PS3 demo had).

I'm lukewarm to it. I can see why folks like it, but it's not necessarily "for me."

paprikastaude

« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2019, 11:47:18 AM »
0 is the best, Kiwami is eh - more of an obligation than anything. Shouldn't have started with that one tbh. Try 0, but maybe wait a bit, so you don't get burnt out on the recycled map.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 01:39:58 PM by Spieler1 »

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2019, 02:14:09 AM »
Raw Danger (PS2)

Why do I do this to myself

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2019, 12:39:09 PM »
Raw Danger (PS2)

Why do I do this to myself
That game is absolute magic.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2019, 08:10:46 PM »
Best choices I made:

(After running to my chef boss who's dangling from his fingertips over a chasm)
--> Take his hat

(Looking at a teacher pinned underneath a piano)
--> Tell them they deserve it

(Being held at knifepoint by a crazed killer)
--> Lick the knife

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2019, 08:48:23 PM »
Oh hey I've been playing some actual games lately in addition to my usual stupid endless online bullshit so I can actually post here:

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night An actual latter day version of SotN and on modern day hardware instead of fucking handhelds(with the exception of the Switch sort of :teehee ), hallelujah. It's still not really finished finished cause they have to make and release all the stretch goal content as free DLC, and they've recently put out a survey asking what sort of paid cosmetic stuff people would like in order to help finance the other stuff, but I think I'm 'done' for now.

Fate/EXTELLA LINK It's a musou with historical figures turned into waifus and husbandos, cause Japan. After clearing one path I looked at the stages I didn't play and it turned out I did the harder of the two initial runs first. Went through everything in my first run mostly with Nero and have gone through a few other stages with Tamamo.

BotW has been started but that one's gonna be a while before its finished apparently. Good stuff so far.
Hi

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2019, 10:50:40 PM »
shit I beat recently

Guacamelee 1. Good game. Couple more achievements to get but I've done 100% completion otherwise. Gonna play 2 soon.

What Remains of Edith Finch. Tasteful indie wank I guess. Some of the stories were cute and engaging. Thanks for the easy gamerscore lol

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 11:40:21 PM by The Sceneman »

thisismyusername

« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2019, 10:32:13 PM »
Assassin's Creed: Odyssey: Legacy of the First Blade + Fate of Atlantis: Legacy is "gay conversion therapy, the DLC" which is :trash And the DLC episodes are like 5-10 hours each, if that. You can blow through the main story and do none of the side-quests.

Fate of Atlantis is radically different since it focuses on myths/gods. It makes the "Ones that Came Before" out to be the gods of mythology (Poseidon is apparently one, for instance) which means the meta-plot is all about the gods downfall and the downfall of them completely is due to you/main character being pissed about human experimentation despite being a "hybrid" of the OtCB/"Isu"s and humans.

That said, you have to do the side-quests to finish the later episodes, so YMMV on how much you can stomach that. But it adds about 20-40 hours of Gameplay easily.

I think I'd say Fate of Atlantis kinda redeems Odyssey, but I don't think the entry is a good Assassin's Creed.

thisismyusername

« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2019, 11:52:08 PM »
Not a Hero - It's an alright little indie (well before Roll7 blew up with Ollie Ollie, not sure where they stand now). But the side-quest checkmarks can get fuuuuuuuuucked. That shit is annoying. It turns the game into a "twitch shooter" more because some of them are timed and that shit sucks.

If you can get it for cheap, do so. It's a cool little shooter from Devolver. But I dunno if I'd rank it highly with Hotline Miami 1/2.

Bebpo

« Reply #88 on: July 26, 2019, 05:10:44 AM »
Operation Darkness (NA/Atlus) - Assassinate Hitler and his Vampire Cohorts while being a Werewolf: The SRPG. Pretty jank SRPG that cranks up the difficulty continuously to where enemies are getting like 3 turns before yours.

I enjoyed it... for the most part... despite the camera and said difficulty. I liked the idea of procuring weapons and items WAY before they're sold in the supply depot off enemies and liked the idea of keeping your "weight low" to get more turns. But I hated the last few missions (24-26 is done in one go, no resupplies unlike 80% of the game) because of dragons and other bullshit killing two of my party members consistently to where I had to mop up before reviving them.

I dunno if I'll do the "Eagle's Nest"/EX Missions since those are in doors which makes the bombing run attack I abused from the British secret intel bloke useless. :lol

What motivated you to play this? I remember playing it way back in the day. Cool concept but was super janky even back then.

thisismyusername

« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2019, 08:16:27 AM »

What motivated you to play this? I remember playing it way back in the day. Cool concept but was super janky even back then.

I already owned it at launch due to someone I know living in Japan playing it at the time so I got the localization when it launched. Just never got around to playing it.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #90 on: July 29, 2019, 07:42:00 PM »
Just got 1225/1225G in Sleeping Dogs for the second time. The game so nice, I platinumed it twice!

Game holds up but man the "Year of the Snake" content sucks and was a bit of a grind at the end.

Svejk

« Reply #91 on: July 29, 2019, 09:31:10 PM »
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night An actual latter day version of SotN and on modern day hardware instead of fucking handhelds(with the exception of the Switch sort of :teehee ), hallelujah. It's still not really finished finished cause they have to make and release all the stretch goal content as free DLC, and they've recently put out a survey asking what sort of paid cosmetic stuff people would like in order to help finance the other stuff, but I think I'm 'done' for now.
Exactly how I feel about it.  Glad I got to play it.

Dark Souls 3 - I see why the Soulsborne games are held in such high praise.  Flaws and frustrations aside, the game was fantastic.  I'm just glad I pushed myself to beat one of these games finally.  Downloaded BB and will probably give it a try shortly. 

For now though, I need some short, chill games to goon out on for a bit.  Got some PSVR backlog to hit up.

Tasty

« Reply #92 on: July 30, 2019, 09:18:02 AM »
I really want to play Super Hot in VR.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2019, 08:00:22 AM »
9) Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3

Mediocre.

5.5/10
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 01:14:10 PM by Premium Lager »

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #94 on: July 31, 2019, 08:01:31 AM »
Exactly how I feel about it.  Glad I got to play it.

Dark Souls 3 - I see why the Soulsborne games are held in such high praise.  Flaws and frustrations aside, the game was fantastic.  I'm just glad I pushed myself to beat one of these games finally.  Downloaded BB and will probably give it a try shortly. 

For now though, I need some short, chill games to goon out on for a bit.  Got some PSVR backlog to hit up.

BB is the best soulsbourne game

thisismyusername

« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2019, 04:31:47 PM »
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - A Gwent Singleplayer campaign. I enjoyed it, I even bought it at launch... and had it sit around for like 9 months until I got around to saying "ok, I'm going to finish this" and dumped like 4-8 hours into it over this past week due to my vacation. The chapters will be long if you do all the puzzles and battles. But if you like Gwent's (redesigned from the Witcher 3 and closed-beta-alpha/pre-Homecoming) gameplay, it's still here.

Thing is, there's more puzzles than there are "standard" (read: normal Gwent 3-rounds) battles. So if you're not into doing puzzles with a little sprinkling of "vomit points war" gameplay, you might want to skip it. But the lowest difficulty will let you skip battles/puzzles and enjoy the story.

The Steam version has no GoG connectivity and there are golden chests that will give you avatars and borders in the GoG version that you can use the Gwent multiplayer app. So it depends on what you're going for: If you're strictly single-player and about Steam achievements and trading cards: The steam version will do just fine, the GoG version is the one to go for if you play Gwent and want the extras, however.

(But they can both use the same save, so AFAIK if you unlock the cards in the Steam version and then get it off GoG, you should be able to do the unlocks that way... maybe... IDK)

Also:
Book spoilers
This is set during the Second Nilfgaard invasion/war, to where you'll see Geralt's Ciri-hunting party of Milva, Dandelion, Geralt, Regis, and Cahir. But you'll only see Geralt for like a minimum of 5-10 minutes of your "Battle on the Bridge"/which is in the books, and then Geralt leaves/defects after being knighted like in the books. Dandelion is featured in only like 1-3 throwaway lines, and Cahir and him feature into cards during the "Battle on the Bridge" with Geralt, otherwise you don't see Milva (who is giving birth in the books) nor Regis (who is helping her with the birth being a "barber-surgeon.")
[close]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 04:37:30 PM by thisismyusername »

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2019, 11:41:23 PM »
I suppose that by most people's estimation I beat Fire Emblem Three Houses last Sunday with about 75 hours clocked in (at least 5-10 was idling/noodling around in menus uselessly though, I played at my desk while working a good bit) but since I only completed the Slytherin playthrough and still have Gryffindor and Hufflepuff to go, I'm not counting it done as of yet. I immediately started a new game + rolling with the Blue Lions this time. I shall try to waifu someone other than Dorothea this go around.

Will almost certainly be my game of the year.
yar

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2019, 09:36:07 AM »
Xbox One:

Cuphead
Celeste
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
The Sinking City

GBA (I got a backlit GBA and was futzing with my flashcart, and one thing led to another)

Castlevania: Curse of the Moon

Switch:

Yoshi's Crafted World
Pokemon Let's Go Eevee
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2019, 04:32:50 PM »
Guilty Gear Xrd: -Sign- and Dragonball Z Fighter - A fighting game? Wha?

Story modes. And -Sign-'s is a visual novel movie while Fighter's was a complete snooze fest of "go through these battles for a few little scenes before going through another 10+ battles for another scene.

I think I prefer Guilty Gears over "smash auto-combos for a short 2-5 minutes scene that takes you around 20 minutes to get to through the battles," personally. But both are pretty terrible. At least Fighter's was... competent, I guess? :thinking

Guilty Gear's lore is pretty horrible.

Oh well, at least I can get to -Revelator-/2 now.
Literally 3 hours (I think the story mode here is like 2-5 hours?) for that video for the ENTIRE series, and even then they admit :no1curr about the story, kinda like Blazblues.

Svejk

« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2019, 06:07:10 PM »
Ghost Giant - Nice little VR interactive story with some deep emotional shit that was kinda unexpected. 

Moss - Extra Content - Really short, but gorgeous new setting.

Short chill games
 :rejoice

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2019, 01:15:46 PM »
10 ) Toad Trackers: Special Episode

DLC for Toad Trackers adds  a whole new chapter to the game which switches up the gameplay a bit by focussing on some time trials and boo fighting.

I guess its kind of cool it switches it up, but not really what made the game good. Still worth checking put due to low price imho when it's on sale.

6.5/10

thisismyusername

« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2019, 10:22:51 PM »
Metal Wolf Chaos: XD - It's jank, but :salute #GodBlessAmerica

I dunno if I'd recommend it for the current price that Devolver wants, but if you can get it on sale for like $10, but's worth giving a try to see if you can stomach some of it's jank.

I didn't like the weapon closet. I dunno if that's the same in Armored Core, but it's weird switching weapons on the fly while getting shot at. Just not my cup of tea.

thisismyusername

« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2019, 09:46:37 PM »
Dishonored - I'm torn on it. On one hand it's a Steampunk Assassin's Creed, minus the tailing missions. On the other, the story is BARELY explained if you don't scavenge for the audio/text-logs (the Outsider? What's that supposed to mean? Why is the big-bad assassin hidey-holing around instead of trying to kill me repeatedly? Etc.), and the gameplay's alternate routes don't feel as solid as Splinter Cell: Blacklist (or Chaos Theories) in a way. There's times where I can see a higher ledge, but can't warp to it because of Warp's limited range.

Plus the game practically BEGS you to not kill anyone for the good end, right in the starting tutorial messages, which seems... :doge

I can kinda see why Dishonored 2 was a bit of a sales slump. I don't know if I'd want to play a sequel. It's not bad but it's not worth the Beth hype-train it got.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:07:23 PM by thisismyusername »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2019, 11:15:53 PM »
Dishonored - I'm torn on it. On one hand it's a Steampunk Assassin's Creed, minus the tailing missions. On the other, the story is BARELY explained if you don't scavenge for the audio/text-logs (the Outsider? What's that supposed to mean? Why is the big-bad assassin hidey-holing around instead of trying to kill me repeatedly? Etc.), and the gameplay's alternate routes don't feel as solid as Splinter Cell: Blacklist (or Chaos Theories) in a way. There's times where I can see a higher ledge, but can't warp to it because of Warp's limited range.

Plus the game practically BEGS you to not kill anyone for the good end, right in the starting tutorial messages, which seems... :doge

I can kinda see why Dishonored 2 was a bit of a sales slump. I don't know if I'd want to play a sequel. It's not bad but it's not worth the Beth hype-train it got.

I know the alternate vision mode makes it clear that the main thing is avoiding the vision-cones of the patrols and machines, but I kept thinking I should hide in shadows, which regularly failed. Also seemed like I could clip through geometry when hiding in guard posts/kiosks, which was annoying.

thisismyusername

« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2019, 12:49:24 AM »
I dunno about clipping (did you play it on launch?), but I totally get what you mean about patrols. There was times where you could think the floor was empty, only to run into a guard around a corner that didn't start their canned lines until you were in the room. Was really fucking annoying trying to "ghost" levels because of that.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2019, 02:42:14 AM »
I dunno about clipping (did you play it on launch?), but I totally get what you mean about patrols. There was times where you could think the floor was empty, only to run into a guard around a corner that didn't start their canned lines until you were in the room. Was really fucking annoying trying to "ghost" levels because of that.

I am playing Dishonored on 360, where I suspect they were less inclined to be vigilant on updates than on, say, PC which doesn't require a QA pass at MS. Whatever primitive representing my collision inside a particular common police kiosk, it seemed to be spotted if I was pressing against the wall.

Still: it's a beautiful game with a great sense of atmosphere!

paprikastaude

« Reply #106 on: September 03, 2019, 10:43:39 AM »
July + August

Dragon Quest Builders 2 - This could've been a legit 10/10, despite some of its bloat and undercooked combat. You've got a ton of great systems that could make it the GOAT life sim RPG. It has Rune Factory, Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing mixed into its crafting foundation alongside a variety of action adventure elements. Yet it is all dragged down by the worst handholding and gating I've ever experienced. There's an illusion of freedom, but you will be punished if you use it - to the point that you can break the story/cutscenes (or just waste your time, because the game wants you badly to stick to its strict "questline", which really is just an endless super-aggressive tutorial). In this form, the gameplay still engages you enough, but the game is ultimately saved by the writing (fantastic German translation) and atmosphere, which is by far the best I've seen in the otherwise generic Dragon Quest series. But despite that, it's not easy to recommend thanks to its ridiculous babysitting.

Mighty Gunvolt – This is the second IntiCreates title I’ve played after Bloodstained 1 and I can see myself becoming a fan. They really capture the NES feel compared to western indie devs and Gunvolt is surprisingly addictive, despite its fairly simple gameplay.

Sonic Rush replay – it held up for me when I had to kill some time traveling. It feels like a frantic racing game with just enough platforming time to cool down. No glitches or shit controls compared to most 'newer' Sonic games either. Maybe I should still get the sequel.

Hollow Knight – I’m kind of shocked at the quality of the presentation and world building that they could get out of their fairly low KS budget, which makes some newer 2D platformers by a certain big publisher even more shameful than they already were. That really elevates this game from being just a basic indie Metroidvania. It would still have had competent level design, despite a bunch of flaws (such as having way too few warp points). Yet its tone is what makes it really stand out quite a bit. The first stages are fairly standard, but the world building gets much stronger down the line. What adds to its atmosphere is the only new (but good) thing it brings to the genre – not giving you a map for granted.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 10:54:41 AM by Spieler1 »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2019, 11:22:59 PM »
Finally finished Red Dead Redemption 2.

I don't really know what to say. Is it a good game? I don't know. In the end I found a lot of the mechanics and game stuff of the game pretty pointless. I never hunted, really built up the camp, or anything and beat the game just fine. I ignored all the stuff except the main story. Which is all I wanted to to do. So maybe that's not good? Good for me as I hate modern open world games because it usually feels like you have to do the side stuff as they use it to pad out the game. Following the story meant I just did missions that felt like they had a purpose and were'nt just copy and pasted. Which is another thing I hate about modern open world games. Most "missions" just feel copy and pasted with no momentum behind them. Not to say they missions in RDR2 are some expertly crafted things and not in the end go here and shoot guys. In fact a case can be made that they are pretty bad as plenty of them seem so limited. If you don't do excactly what we want, it's game over. Still, they felt like someone sat down and said "here is the point of this mission in regards to "story, pacing, and whatever". In the end to me the game was a linear story game with an awesome open environment and I'm a guy who likes Mafia 2 and LA Noire so...

And man is this one of the best games I've ever seen. It always looked so amazing. So much detail in every aspect.

I don't know if it has a good story. Good characters. John Marston is even more human here. His writing in regards to his son is pretty solid. On a whole the game feels less silly and stupid then most Rockstar games. Arthur is a good protag as well. It's just the plot in the end is a slow burn and a pretty obvious descent into chaos. I'm not sure anything really eventful happens plot wise. The storytelling and character writing is very good. The story is pretty meh.

All and all. I really liked it.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #108 on: September 12, 2019, 04:47:29 AM »
recently got 1000/1000 in Resident Evil 4 on Xbone. Game still rules

Rahxephon91

« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2019, 08:16:41 PM »
I think one of the problems with the "story" is that Micha is a pretty awful villain. You don't really know his motivations and he dosen't really have any deep connections with Dutch. Like, yeah he keeps praising Dutch and blindly following him. But you don't know why. You don't know if it's because he's really manipulating him. The later revelation dosen't even suggest that so it's like what is his motivation? Would have made more sense had he also been a "son" of Dutch. Like Arthur, but not the golden boy. So he's a bit jealous of that and with the fracture coming is really taking a chance to one up Arthur. As he is, he's just a villian and honestly the story dosen't feel like it has a conflict beyond the slow burn of this group falling out with each other.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2019, 08:51:46 PM »
Well you’re in luck, they have a game for that.

But yeah I think it has some good writing and character stuff. I just don’t think the story is particularly interesting.

thisismyusername

« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2019, 04:03:02 PM »
Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator - I liked it, but at the same time, the last ending (the "cult" ending) was pretty sparse. It seems like the developers decided at the last minute to drop the ending because it would go against the other ones (where you may find love) but didn't remove the references to that ending ("this guy probably isn't a good dude, dude") to where the ending seems really rushed together to be released (even with a "this wasn't really intended for you to find!") with like the entire ending seemingly cut-hacked apart to not make sense. :lol

Knife Dad is best dad, however.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #112 on: September 18, 2019, 05:07:23 PM »
Trojan (NES) Tried to beat it yesterday, and got my ass handed to me by the final boss, just barely got him today with my last life. :rejoice

That feel when I was a kid this shit was cake, getting old brehs. :fbm
[close]
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 12:29:31 AM by D3RANG3D »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2019, 12:19:49 AM »
Xbox One:

Control
Borderlands 3
Kingdom Hearts 3

Switch:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Fire Emblem Three Houses
fat

thisismyusername

« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2019, 10:42:02 PM »
Tactical Geese Howard: Metal Gear HONK (aka: Untitled Goose Game) - Pirated the PC version #ThanksEpic and went through it. So with that said: For $15... I can't recommend it. HOWEVER: I do find it to be charming, and the game can be completed anywhere from like 5 minutes (if you speedrun, I guess and abuse glitches) to like 2-4 hours.

Being an asshole of a goose is pretty fun, however. So if you can get it when it's on sale for like $5 or so on Steam eventually or on consoles, I'd recommend checking it out just because it's a very charming "stealth"/sandbox game.

Dragging the bell home only to find you have like 7 of the golden bells already, thereby it's a known fact the goose is a complete asshole to the entire town made me laugh hard.
[close]

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2019, 04:11:42 PM »
11 ) Links Awakening

First game I ever finished twice in all my gaming years. GB in the 90s and now Switch in 2019.

Yeah its still good 20 years on, crazy really. Great remake except for the framerate issues. Some silly hard to see bits imho (like two bits where I just didn't see cracks where to put bombs)

Not the hardest Zelda but it just plays so well and smooth.

8/10

paprikastaude

« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2019, 09:27:25 PM »
September:

Soma - Mixed bag. There's moments of very strong atmosphere, which are thrown out the window when the game relies on sassy banter and not delivering too greatly in the story department. Enemies also get less intimidating for some reason. The gameplay is too simple, although you can't quite call it a walking simulator. There's some real puzzles and exploration, especially later on, but too much of it is nothing but braindead lever pulling. I remember Amnesia being more involving than this.

Downwell - It hooked me enough to finish it, but overall it's another randomly generated indie platformer that often feels more like a chore than fun.

Monster Hunter: Iceborne - It introduces lots of good content, but it's much less singleplayer friendly than the base game. Monsters take really long to take down, so any kind of grind is definitely more tedious when played alone.

Renegade Ops - fun enough coop twin stick shooter with a hammy presentation and slightly too little variety, despite decent mechanics.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 09:47:03 AM by Spieler1 »

thisismyusername

« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2019, 07:20:20 PM »
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition + Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear: I've forgotten how sparse the maps in BG1 was/is. SoD was... alright. There's barely any exploration in it and you're basically on a railroad (so you have to make plenty of saves to make sure you do the side-quests in case you trigger a chapter forward. :doge ) but that's nothing too bad. I didn't mind it, and honestly the Transgender Character is BARELY in the game, so I have no clue why the playerbase shit their diapers about it. :doge

thisismyusername

« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2019, 08:05:36 AM »
Dust: An Elysian Tail - A furry Metroidvania. Not too bad, but now that Bloodstained and other Metroidvania's have come out since it released, I don't think folks need to play this.

paprikastaude

« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2019, 10:45:11 PM »
October:

Castlevania: Bloodlines - Absolutely amazing game. The graphics are insane for their time. Yet they don't just serve stilistic purposes, but tons of new ideas in level design. Some could've been explored a bit further, but that would be nitpicking. Rondo of Blood got me hooked on Classicvania, but I think this might be my favorite now. Amazing pacing, all the QOL from Rondo, fair difficulty balancing, great gameplay ideas and setpieces.

Ghouls'n'Ghosts (Megadrive) - Compared to the later SNES game, this is much easier to pick up and get into. Doesn't mean that it's free of typical bullshit though. On the other hand, it doesn't look as good and simply feels smaller in scale.

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair - A good mixture of Banjo Kazooie and Donkey Kong Country, for whoever likes those two things. Even though I think the new characters/art direction can't compete with either of the two - excluding the excellent music. Yet the level design is strong. And the game design is refreshing, because this game doesn't have to follow the typical Nintendo 2D formula that completely lacks surprises these days.

Shadow Dancer - This hooked me through an entire evening, during which I finished it on easy and normal after, I believe, I never beat it completely prior. Either way, this is a great culmination of the original Shinobi style of level design and gameplay. Which is why it's my favorite after Shinobi 3.

Shinobi 3, replay - First thing I finished on my Megadrive Mini iirc, because what can you say against a round of Shinobi 3? I thought these days I'd prefer a more lenient double jump, but it really doesn't take that long to get used to it again and then it feels even more rewarding to play.