Author Topic: The Verge making copyright strikes against parody videos of their PC build  (Read 1556 times)

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
The original PC build article: https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/13/17828092/gaming-pc-build-custom-how-to-asus-intel-geforce-cost

A re-upload of the PC build video:

A Verge article explaining how youtube copyright strike system is being abused by bad actors:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/11/18220032/youtube-copystrike-blackmail-three-strikes-copyright-violation

The video explaining the strike against Bitwit's parody video:

Basically, around September 2018 the Verge made a video with numerous mistakes on how to build a PC. A lot of people clowned on it, including reaction videos, analysis on why exactly it was bad information the Verge was dishing out, and parody videos, etc. The Verge employee doing the build said the criticism was racist. Eventually, the article itself was updated that it sucked, and the video was taken down.

Fast Forward to present day Feb 2019, the Verge have started issuing copyright strikes on videos related to the original PC build that the Verge made. Luz.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: The Verge making copyright strikes against parody videos of their PC build
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 12:55:19 PM »
Unless this is an algorithmic strike I have but two words: Streisand effect.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 01:14:24 PM »
If I were any tech youtuber that got a strike, I'd just do a parody recreation of the Verge video
yar

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 03:47:34 PM »
The PSU fan facing inwards :dead

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 04:12:00 PM »
The PSU fan facing inwards :dead

Quote from: Youtube
Mike
Mike
1 month ago
0:05 Yes it is going to hold up for battlefield 5, you just used a popular game as an excuse to build this.
0:24 Not really, you added this because it's the table is the only thing in this video you have knowledge about.
0:33 You didnt even use that, cos you don't need that.
0:35 those are zip ties, which you also didnt use.
0:42  That is not an anti-static bracelett
0:45 The user doesnt need protection from static electricity, the motherboard and some parts might.
0:46 You did not list any parts you're going to need.
2:17 Spoiler alert
2:47 IO shield
3:25 That is not fast
3:38 You are aligning that RAM stick backwards, it will not fit so in the next shot we will see it has magically flipped around, but you edited that part out.
3:48 See, the ram stick has flipped.
3:49 the ram is also installed wrong, this will not support dual channeling.
3:50 That's a solid state drive, not a hard drive. Same purpose though.
4:42 No it doesn't.
4:45 Lucky pick, but the real reason you need the top one is because that is the faster slot that is intended for your gpu.
5:00 Depends on case.
5:20 Those are not insulating pads, those are anti-vibration pads.
5.20 The power supply can not short circuit as it doesnt have any exposed parts that could short circuit. What the fuck. Even a 5th grader that learned what short circuiting means in his physics class yesterday would call you out on this one.
5:29 You are installing yet another part the wrong way, the fan should face outwards. In this case, pun intended, the exact opposite direction you just installed it.
5:35 But you just focking said 15 seconds ago that if it touches the frame it will short circuit. But don't worry, it won't.
5:42 No, installing the CPU itself should come before that.
5:52 No, it should come now.
6:06 You forgot the fans.
6:12 No, the screws are really long because they're supposed to go through the fan first.
6:13 Oh my god no you just broke your cooler by driving the whole screws through them, but it's okay cos you had a spare cooler that you installed after this, this time remembering the fans, but you edited that out. The fans will have appeared later in the video though.
6:15 It also took forever for someone to fix this and the upcoming shit off cam.
6:20 No, just this one does. But it's also 100% of your experience with any of this, so can't blame you on this assumption.
6:35 Did you drop your bag of steps on how to build a pc and couldnt pick them up in a recommended order?
7:12 Put it somewhere safe cos you'll need it for motherboard warranty.
7.18 Socket
7:25 Did you just fucking use the thermal paste applicator to forcefully press the cpu into the "installator", that you won't use anyway? Whatever the hell happens in this shot, I'm not sure.
7:35 You're bragging about this like you found the first edition Charizard pokémon card or something else that's hard to find, but this CPU is very common and something like it is pretty much expected for a $2000 build like yours. Maybe the brag was directed at people building a $800 PC that had to opt for a cheaper yet sufficient CPU.
7:38 8th generation lisp
7:48 And then discard cos you laid it on the table after realizing you didn't need it.
7:54 You didnt use it for any of those things.
8:08 See? He discarded it on the table.
8:20 It is enough, many people remove it though to apply better thermal paste on it, but you just added extra mayo without removing the old mayo.
8:22 Hahah no it's fucking not, you're literally presenting an age old meme tier famous mistake at pc building as "good practice". You just made that up to sound smart, failing miserably.
8:35 This too much paste, a grain to pea sized dot of it is enough. Or the pre-applied one. Not both.
8:42 No, it will be tightly against the processor, this is vital for the heat transmission into the heatsink.
9:04 This cable management is bad.
9:05 Oh look, the radiator fans have appeared off cam.
9:08 Oh cmon you didn't get to the post screen before someone else fixed your mess.
9:44 Lol if it's one of your favourite why don't you have any idea how to play it.
10:12 The real reason is your screen can't handle that.
11:02 Why did you disable the comments then, that is, a long before you finally removed the video.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2019, 05:30:15 PM »
"a swiss army knife which hopefully has a phillips head screwdriver in it"

or...a phillips head screwdriver?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 01:52:15 AM »
how can you be this fucking dumb

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 11:42:00 AM »
Unless this is an algorithmic strike I have but two words: Streisand effect.

I want to address a situation around some YouTube copyright strikes (since retracted) issued by The Verge and Vox Media that has gotten pretty toxic, and could have been avoided if the parties involved had simply reached out to me directly.

Early this week, a number of YouTube reaction videos were flagged to Vox Media's legal team, who are very diligent and protective of our work. Two of them were reactions to a PC build video we had made several months ago which I determined did not meet our standards and had pulled from YouTube.

Those two reaction videos used 90 percent of our footage without any edits, cuts, or otherwise transformative use, and one of them in particular featured what our legal team felt was a pretty racist character. Our legal team felt this was not fair use, and issued a copyright strike request to YouTube for those two videos. A number of other very critical videos were not responded to in any way.

YouTube notified the two channels in question, said there was a chance our request wouldn't make it through, and asked our legal team for their case. Our team made the case, YouTube agreed the videos were not fair use, and issued the strikes.

When this was brought to my attention a few hours later, I told them that although I fully agreed with their legal argument, I did not think we should use copyright strikes against legitimate channels even if we thought the videos crossed the line. (And again, I fully agree with our legal team that these videos crossed the line of fair use.)

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/15/18226105/a-note-about-youtube-copyright-strikes-from-vox-media

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 11:45:21 AM »
"a swiss army knife which hopefully has a phillips head screwdriver in it"

or...a phillips head screwdriver?

Who has access to specialty equipment like? It was hard enough finding a LiveStrong antistatic bracelet.
©@©™

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 12:11:00 PM »
Do lawyers get bonuses for getting thrown under the bus, or is that just part of the job?

Either way, the damage is done. Techtubers have milked this move as well. Whomp-whomp.

GamersNexus donated the ad-revenue from their video on the copyright strike. The bit of moolah they gave up will pay dividends. Tech Jesus knows how the game is played. :whew

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 04:47:07 PM »
 ??? lol. lyle gonna get voxsplained.

i couldn't finish the pc build video jfc. the incompetence  :(
◕‿◕