Author Topic: Xbone SAD edition  (Read 5402 times)

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Xbone SAD edition
« on: March 06, 2019, 07:40:14 AM »
Microsoft's disc-less Xbox One S reportedly called All-Digital Edition, out in May

According to reports, Microsoft's previously rumoured disc-less Xbox One will be called the Xbox One S All-Digital Edition and be released some time this May.

Word on a disc-less Xbox One first surfaced last year, when reliable tech website Thurrott flagged it, under the codename Maverick, as one of two Xbox One S variants currently in the works at Microsoft. The other, focussed on cost reduction while still retaining the disc-drive, was touted to launch later in 2019.

Both projects are obviously completely separate to Microsoft's long-awaited next-generation Xbox One successor, not expected to release until 2020.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Re: Xbone SAD edition
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 07:59:32 AM »

Hi

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 08:19:47 AM »
Every xbox edition is sad

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 08:32:41 AM »
I mean, if this is akin to the proposed stream box and is super-cheap, I can see it being a good idea.  But one of the few big appeals about the XBone S to me is that it has a 4K blu-ray player. 
ど助平

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 08:53:51 AM »
These decisions are really starting to raise more questions about the Pro/X venture. Other than a whole, we have the technology, we can build it, situation.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 09:05:10 AM »
Is Microsoft not worried about having so many different SKUs on the market at once?
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 09:08:28 AM »
The X kinda goes away on its own when the next one comes out. And they can just drop the disc S not long after probably.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 09:16:06 AM »
Is Microsoft not worried about having so many different SKUs on the market at once?

It's beginning to feel like they have more Xbox consoles coming out than they do games.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 09:21:29 AM »
this seems about right for them. hell, around the time they announced the Xbone they also put out another 360 that looked like a baby Xbone

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 09:27:47 AM »
I mean, if this is akin to the proposed stream box and is super-cheap, I can see it being a good idea.  But one of the few big appeals about the XBone S to me is that it has a 4K blu-ray player.

Blu-ray is on the way out, if you believe sales reports. Supposedly more people are streaming via Netflix and don't give a shit about 4K to buy Blu-ray. So, in theory, this makes more sense now than it did a few years ago when people were still clinging to discs for games.

Now, if it's practical? Can't say. Especially with how shit most of the US's internet infrastructure is.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 09:29:05 AM »
I've been watching 4K car shows on Amazon Prime and they look pretty damn good. I wonder how much of my stupid data cap I'm using

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 09:30:54 AM »
this seems about right for them. hell, around the time they announced the Xbone they also put out another 360 that looked like a baby Xbone

(Image removed from quote.)

There were also around 5-6 revisions for both the 360 and PS3. From my experience in retail, multiple options for consumers isn't ballbusting if the differences and tradeoffs are clear.

Besides consumers not buying physical media nearly as much, disc manufacturing and waste being cut down is good. With how videogame licenses work nowadays, owning a physical copy doesn't amount to much.

OH!

benjipwns

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2019, 09:32:44 AM »
Samsung and some other company are supposed to ending Blu-Ray Player production this year IIRC. I imagine the companies more tied into the studios themselves like Sony will be slower to do that. Especially since it can't cost too much.

benjipwns

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2019, 09:35:25 AM »
Anecdotes again but I've seen people on places sorta like GAF/ERA (I need a better term for what they were like ten years ago) or whatever who buy the Blu-Ray to have it for their shelf and just use the digital code to actually watch the thing.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2019, 09:38:55 AM »

Blu-ray is on the way out, if you believe sales reports. Supposedly more people are streaming via Netflix and don't give a shit about 4K to buy Blu-ray. So, in theory, this makes more sense now than it did a few years ago when people were still clinging to discs for games.

Now, if it's practical? Can't say. Especially with how shit most of the US's internet infrastructure is.

Your point about US internet being haggard is valid, but that hasn't stopped people from building gaming PC's and buying everything from steam.

If it's not the game itself, patches, DLC, expansions, you need passable internet to get the most out of this hobby.
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 10:11:18 AM »

There were also around 5-6 revisions for both the 360 and PS3. From my experience in retail, multiple options for consumers isn't ballbusting if the differences and tradeoffs are clear.

Besides consumers not buying physical media nearly as much, disc manufacturing and waste being cut down is good. With how videogame licenses work nowadays, owning a physical copy doesn't amount to much.

Yeah- it really has gotten to the point where I don't see the point in getting a physical copy of some games, since they have so many updates and/or DLC.   Most of the various limited run-type releases have the complete versions of the games on them, however.  People were actually pissed when they found out that the physical run of Celeste won't have the upcoming DLC on the disc/cart.  :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 10:12:06 AM »
Anecdotes again but I've seen people on places sorta like GAF/ERA (I need a better term for what they were like ten years ago)

Message boards?  :doge
ど助平

benjipwns

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2019, 10:37:44 AM »
that'll never work

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2019, 12:50:55 PM »

Yeah- it really has gotten to the point where I don't see the point in getting a physical copy of some games, since they have so many updates and/or DLC.   Most of the various limited run-type releases have the complete versions of the games on them, however.  People were actually pissed when they found out that the physical run of Celeste won't have the upcoming DLC on the disc/cart.  :lol

Everyone I know buys full price games physical only as they can be sold again, digital is only for 20 buck games.

Most people arent splerg collectors that hang on to media they consumed out of sentimental value.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2019, 03:16:34 PM »
Microsoft bringing back the Tard Pack.  :doge
©@©™

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2019, 07:19:13 PM »
COOL another sku for me to not buy

Trent Dole

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2019, 07:25:19 PM »
Price will decide if it sinks or swim.

$149 max.
You know they're going to be stupid and ask $200 for it. :doge
Hi

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 10:57:05 PM »
Price will decide if it sinks or swim.

$149 max.
You know they're going to be stupid and ask $200 for it. :doge

Honestly, that'd be reasonable. $100 more for the Blu-ray version, however? (or $200 more, forgetting) would make it dumb to do, but $200 ballpark is something we haven't had in YEARS.

Trent Dole

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 02:12:26 AM »
At this point in the gen it feels like we all know new machines are coming soon and these old ass boxes should be at $200 for their basic bitch model with a disc drive. :-[
Hi

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 11:08:58 AM »
Seems made to give away/subsidize for the monthly sub deal to live and gamepass. This is probably the future, no one in mass market really wants to buy movies or games (or cares if they look like shit).

Svejk

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 11:30:29 AM »
Watch it come with a 500GB HDD.

kingv

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 12:26:10 PM »

Everyone I know buys full price games physical only as they can be sold again, digital is only for 20 buck games.

Most people arent splerg collectors that hang on to media they consumed out of sentimental value.

I feel like the price advantage of physical, even with resale has really diminished in the last few years.

Xbox credit is readily available at a 15% discount, GVU is gone, trade values have went down, and console digital store sales are more aggressive and earlier than they once were.

If you must buy everything Day 1, and can complete the games in 2-4 weeks to trade in, physical might still win out.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 12:27:52 PM »
Watch it come with a 500GB HDD.

32 GB SD card.
ど助平

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 12:33:20 PM »
Discs are just waste, tbh

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 02:40:52 PM »
sounds pretty good for a large portion of the market that play halo, forza, cod and maybe buy a few random games from the store
◕‿◕

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2019, 09:12:30 PM »
I've been watching 4K car shows on Amazon Prime and they look pretty damn good. I wonder how much of my stupid data cap I'm using

Fiber internet only plz you pleb

:snob
yar

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2019, 09:11:45 AM »
Fiber internet only plz you pleb

:snob
not available in my area :'(

Occam

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2019, 10:22:09 AM »
Discs are just waste, tbh

Yeah, not owning stuff and not being able to sell it is awesome!
Welcome to this new and improved version of corporate communism where you own nothing and the corporation owns everything.
They should stop selling hardware, too and make you rent it instead, for a very reasonable fee.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2019, 10:30:48 AM »
Renting consoles from Blockbuster :aah
fat

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2019, 11:32:38 AM »
the more likely future is that the console is free/very reduced price but gamepass or a similar service is required

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 07:24:18 AM »
I hope the sell an external Blu-ray drive for it.
rub

Trent Dole

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2019, 07:39:35 AM »
I hope the sell an external Blu-ray drive for it.
Return of the HD DVD add on :rejoice
Hi

Trent Dole

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2019, 10:35:46 PM »
Hi

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2019, 10:51:54 PM »
$250, the same price as the normal X1S

:picard

it does come with three games , but still come on

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2019, 11:30:36 PM »
That pricepoint...
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy??

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2019, 11:34:42 PM »
xbox has really shit the bed this gen
WDW

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 05:02:41 AM »
lulz
What

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2019, 05:05:21 AM »
TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY UNITED STATES DOLLARINOS

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2019, 05:49:58 AM »
Vindicating my dumb title. :itagaki

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2019, 06:06:37 AM »
Lol cant wait for microsoft to shit the bed with the next xbox too  :lol

250 bucks for a digital only xbox when you can gwt one with a drive for less

:lol

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2019, 06:07:58 AM »
Judt checked to be sure, nornal xbox one s with 1tb and battlefield 5 or some other game, 200 euro.

Lol@ MS

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2019, 08:42:12 AM »
yeah i really dont understand the point of this one. oh well
fat

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2019, 09:01:10 AM »
Judt checked to be sure, nornal xbox one s with 1tb and battlefield 5 or some other game, 200 euro.

Lol@ MS
fwiw this comes with three games but still 250 is a big ask

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2019, 09:39:48 AM »
ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2019, 12:57:36 PM »

Lol@ MS
fwiw this comes with three games but still 250 is a big ask

Ok thats a bit better but still

I assumed a digital only xbox would be 50 bucks cheaper not more expensive

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2019, 12:58:55 PM »
in the US the X1S is technically $300 but I've not seen it above 250 with a game in most stores. Maybe that means the SAD will be $200 pretty quick? Either, bad look and they are barely even advertising that it comes with three games (Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon, Minecraft)

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2019, 01:12:58 PM »
Yeah but those people will buy a switch or ps4  :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2019, 01:28:00 PM »
Can't wait to play Sea of Thieves all digital  :lol

Joking aside. The Xbox One X is a great console, easily my favorite this gen. I feel that is where MS should focus their efforts.
Top of the line gaming experiences. And an Xbox One X without the expensive 4K media playback stuff and the disk drive swapped for a bigger HDD would make sense as a 'digital only' 4K console.

However, this thing.  ???

It might've been a left over of their plan to offer GamePass subscriptions with an Xbox included. The fact that it looks exactly the same as the Xbox One S just shows how little effort went into this.
You'd be stupid to buy one and lock yourself out of nice retail deals and borrowing games from other people. Especially at this stage in the console cycle when there's plenty 'old' Xbox One S models available cheaply.
The only way this thing will sell is if they discontinue the Xbox One S with a disk drive.

There's really no benefit in owning an Xbox without a disk drive at a premium price. 
🤴

nachobro

• Live Más

Trent Dole

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2019, 02:33:09 PM »

Lol@ MS
Yeah on Amazon here in the States the All Digital edition page has a little drop down menu for you to pick which edition of the S you are interested in. This of course includes the model with the disc drive and the various bundles that have happened, one of which is $220. Just taking a second on a preorder page points you away from this thing.

:lol :lol :lol

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1118577454183059456
Fuck yeah pre release bomba! :doge Honestly that's closer to what the actual base price should be.
Hi

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2019, 02:15:26 AM »
MS, stop, it's already dead.