Author Topic: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible  (Read 3795879 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible
« Reply #21480 on: June 12, 2019, 02:57:12 PM »
Solid answer, but faulting trans people for having major issues with it is about the last thing anyone should do here. What a mess.
Show the screenshot to some trans people and ask them if they feel empathized with.
:rofl

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #21481 on: June 12, 2019, 02:58:08 PM »
I do think, though, that they should have chosen to omit the imagery from any/all promo material (including nVidia's RT marketing) so that the audience can understand the context through how the game presents the world when we are playing it rather than just seeing it in a screenshot with no explanation or framing.

fucking amateur hour dipshit demagogues

there's your fucking context you dumbfucks, jfc

e:
ugh why is this fucking slippery goalpost moving annoying me so much

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21482 on: June 12, 2019, 02:58:25 PM »
Her name is actually Katarzyna Redesiuk
holy shit she couldn't get more Polish could she

Not with that giant kielbasa on display. :mouf
©@©™

Averon

« Reply #21483 on: June 12, 2019, 02:58:39 PM »
Keanu Reeves was ‘blown away’ by fan reaction to E3 appearance

A nice article about how Keanu Reeve appreciated the fans' reaction to him in CP77 and at E3.

On Reee however.....

I wanna know how Keanu feels about all the transphobia that's come out of CDPR and Cyberpunk 2077.

Someone needs to ask him what he thinks about CDPR's weird transphobic shit so we can get a public apology from them

Wasn't he starred in that alt right movie with the red pill? John Wick also seems to be a movie reinforcing toxic masculinity. Not really sure if Keanu is an ally even though he hasn't explicitly expressed anything suspect.

Sucks he decided to associate himself with the game tho, all things considered

Keanu is primed to be "canceled" by Reee  :lol
Is he next on the ever growing ban list  :thinking

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #21484 on: June 12, 2019, 02:59:00 PM »
Surely their hero Jason Schreier has to go ask Keanu about his views on CDPR's bigotry, right?
Like you can trust Keanu. He's a filler!

lmao that word filter

filler filler filler filler filler

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #21485 on: June 12, 2019, 03:00:39 PM »
lmao it turns out this fucking woman made that art

i am sure she is all about shaming the lgbt community

benjipwns

« Reply #21486 on: June 12, 2019, 03:00:44 PM »

wow a skinhead neo-nazi, just like i predicted

Nuitangg

« Reply #21487 on: June 12, 2019, 03:00:47 PM »
Verified
Owner of YGOPRODeck.com

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #21488 on: June 12, 2019, 03:00:58 PM »
So this is the art director...

Resetera: You have fucking nothing.

Edit: Good timing bore bros
:O

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #21489 on: June 12, 2019, 03:01:13 PM »
Everytime you think we've hit peak resetera they managed to outdo themselves in their collective outrage.
Someone must be monitoring this thing as a case study for collective outrage and paranoia at this point.
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #21490 on: June 12, 2019, 03:01:28 PM »
here she is murdering a trans-cat

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21491 on: June 12, 2019, 03:01:51 PM »
lmao it turns out this fucking woman made that art

(Image removed from quote.)

i am sure she is all about shaming the lgbt community

Image, likely made by a cis-person (correct me if I'm wrong), explained by a cis-person (again, correct me), and forgiven by cis-people. This sound about right?
©@©™

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #21492 on: June 12, 2019, 03:02:10 PM »
Everytime you think we've hit peak resetera they managed to outdo themselves in their collective outrage.
Someone must be monitoring this thing as a case study for collective outrage and paranoia at this point.

I know what game publishers almost certainly aren't monitoring them for anymore.

Ad sales.

BisMarckie

« Reply #21493 on: June 12, 2019, 03:02:18 PM »
That tattoo on her arm could be a crypto Reichsadler. I remain skeptical. :hmph

benjipwns

« Reply #21494 on: June 12, 2019, 03:02:36 PM »
If we lived in a society where trans panic wasn't a valid legal defense for murder, I'd have the patience to hear what CDPR have to say. It still stands as blatant sexualization of a trans woman's genitals. I guatentee their 'broader message' is no where near nuanced enough to warrant imagery that gets trans people killed in the present day

marrec

« Reply #21495 on: June 12, 2019, 03:03:01 PM »

I'm telling you this is all a fucking shoot and they're all a part of an ongoing ARG to help promote games/websites.

I feel like I'm Truman and no one else realizes this is a show  :'(

BisMarckie

« Reply #21496 on: June 12, 2019, 03:04:09 PM »
If we lived in a society where trans panic wasn't a valid legal defense for murder, I'd have the patience to hear what CDPR have to say. It still stands as blatant sexualization of a trans woman's genitals. I guatentee their 'broader message' is no where near nuanced enough to warrant imagery that gets trans people killed in the present day

Isn‘t that legal defense thing total horseshit and not actually true?

benjipwns

« Reply #21497 on: June 12, 2019, 03:04:46 PM »
Cool statement. I look forward to their character generator allowing trans and non-binary options to back up those words and the game acknowledging those options.

Sure I won’t be disappointed
Good on polygon for going to her but I think it would've been much better if they themselves would've reached some outlet to respond to the controversy which was more than warranted high their past.
Wow this thread has a lot of people who were just chomping at the bit to feel better about hand-waving these issues.
what is wrong with these people

i know what's wrong with me

but what's their deal?

Averon

« Reply #21498 on: June 12, 2019, 03:05:00 PM »
Our friend CrossingEden:
Frankly they would've accepted any answer. Now then, it'd be cool if some journalist could address the racist gang stereotypes as I can't see any statement being made about that aside from window dressing in downtrodden areas.

Translation: Our transphobia attack failed? I guess we can go back to implying they are racist I guess.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #21499 on: June 12, 2019, 03:05:22 PM »
FF with the ".... BUT" again :rejoice

Quote from: Official Staff Communication
However, just because some context has been given on the imagery doesn't mean people won't still have different reactions to its presence. The fetishization of LGBT people is something the community has always contended with and having a conversation about when and how it manifests is perfectly reasonable. Let's keep this thread on track and stay respectful and thoughtful to one another.

benjipwns

« Reply #21500 on: June 12, 2019, 03:06:54 PM »
I still fully expect this game to be sexist and racist as fuck and for people in the studio to hide behind the setting and themes when that gets called into question.
like i mean

SmokyDave

« Reply #21501 on: June 12, 2019, 03:06:56 PM »
lmao this dude just put ResetERA.com on epic blast:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/this-fetishized-in-game-ad-from-cyberpunk-2077-raises-some-questions-about-how-the-game-may-depict-lgbt-nsfw-see-staff-post-before-posting.122649/post-21804952
I'm really bothered personally by some of the assumptions I've seen made in this thread. I should preface this by saying that A: I'm a white cis male, so I lack any personal experience of what other people have experienced and B: I'm personally emotionally close to this issue because my SO is feminine according to traditional gender appearance norms but was AMAB, identifies as male, and is happiest looking traditionally feminine and having male genitalia.
I'm bothered by the assumption that simply because someone looks feminine according to traditional gender norms and has a penis they must be transgender. There are a number of other reasons I can think of for someone to appear traditionally feminine and have a penis, regardless of how they identify. Other gender identities, subcultures, aesthetics. I'm not going to enumerate them; I would probably miss some and I really shouldn't need to for my point to get across.
This guy is the only person in that thread that actually upholds the values the site pretends to stand for. No surprise that it went ignored and came shortly before a thread closure.

benjipwns

« Reply #21502 on: June 12, 2019, 03:08:16 PM »
I'm not sure if that's the way to increase empathy for LGBTQ+ people, because, like, sure, with that background info I can see the intent but that's clearly not obvious from the info given in-game.
So much fucking hate at the people mocking others for being concerned about this and getting on their high horse about it.

The response is decent but I feel like you people would have accepted any old shit they said, just like how you all creamed your pants over the shitty non-apology they gave for making transphobic tweets and acting like it completely absolved them.

And yeah I'm angry about this because I've seen all of the CDPR threads so far and seen all the bans and shitty opinions while I try and defend the most vulnerable members of my community and to be mocked for actually giving a shit is just peak non-interested gamer bullshit
As I said in the other thread, I really feel like this is not a satisfying response. It can be, for the folks that are only interested in the game, but the past CDPR actions are still echoing in the back of my head.

It seems like we have two distinct "contexts" here: the context that the designer wants the public to accept, that is, the context that the game is a progressive take on the cyberpunk genre, treating social issues as actual issues and portraying problematic concepts as negative.

Then we have the real world context, which is the fact that CDPR has not positioned themselves as particularly pro-LGBTQ, going so far as having transphobic jokes in their social media more than once. According to RPS, Cyperpunk 2077 is also not very sensitive towards people of color. Maybe that is also part of their discourse that everything in the game is supposed to be portrayed as bad, but it is interesting to note that the trailers have always featured white male protagonism. There's also the fact that their past games have always had more immature portrayals of sexuality, such as in the cards in Witcher 1.

But even if the context proposed by the artist is the one we should consider, there's still the fact that they have not tried to make this a dominant theme at all. This game is colorful, pretty, full of action, violence and Keanu Reeves, but nothing in their portrayal of their own game have made me think that it will tackle social issues, even in a cynical way. It works in GTA, for example, because of the tone. In GTA: San Andreas, you have black voice actors, black writers, black protagonism, etc. This is why, even when it shows racism, the game itself is not characterized as racist.

Or maybe the actual context is a hybrid between their narration of what we should expect and what we've come to expect according to this company's past: an alienated take on social issues that has to put those commentaries aside to show things that they have been trying to sell (cool future, cool guns, hot cyborgs)
what broke these people

Propagandhim

« Reply #21503 on: June 12, 2019, 03:09:10 PM »
Solid answer, but faulting trans people for having major issues with it is about the last thing anyone should do here. What a mess.
Show the screenshot to some trans people and ask them if they feel empathized with.
:rofl

I guaran-fucking-tee you most trans people will be like, "That's fucking dope. What game is this?"

BisMarckie

« Reply #21504 on: June 12, 2019, 03:09:49 PM »

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #21505 on: June 12, 2019, 03:10:07 PM »
When you’re a hammer everything is a nail  :trumps

benjipwns

« Reply #21506 on: June 12, 2019, 03:10:16 PM »
You know a path for advocacy, trans perspective, and cyberpunk authority could all be squared through the Keanu Reeves --> Wachowskis path. I'd like to hear what they think and whether Keanu, knowing them, is ok with this type of representation.
can we not

marrec

« Reply #21507 on: June 12, 2019, 03:10:17 PM »
I can check my source-books when I get home, but I'm pretty sure the Voodoo Boys were originally meant to be mostly white men who bioscultped to present as more mixed and sold drugs to upper-middle class white college students in between wanton violence.

Having a Haitian dude as part of the Voodoo Boys isn't totally out of sorts. I don't remember the Animals at all tho.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21508 on: June 12, 2019, 03:11:32 PM »
Fuck out my face, nicca.

:isthis constructive discussion
©@©™

BisMarckie

« Reply #21509 on: June 12, 2019, 03:11:41 PM »
I can check my source-books when I get home, but I'm pretty sure the Voodoo Boys were originally meant to be mostly white men who bioscultped to present as more mixed and sold drugs to upper-middle class white college students in between wanton violence.

Having a Haitian dude as part of the Voodoo Boys isn't totally out of sorts. I don't remember the Animals at all tho.

What are you? A nerd? :pacspit

benjipwns

« Reply #21510 on: June 12, 2019, 03:12:23 PM »
It's important to remind people that the year this issue is coming to light, 2019, has been an incredibly tumultuous time for trans folk.

Numerous rights reductions, political turbulence, and violence against trans people.

Portraying a vulnerable minority group in this way is damaging regardless of the context.

In a time where trans people are being murdered for being trans, fetishization to this degree shouldn't be handwaved.

only thing i can think of when this person posts now

RyoonZ

« Reply #21511 on: June 12, 2019, 03:12:29 PM »

Dark Cloud sucks donkey ball

Raist

« Reply #21512 on: June 12, 2019, 03:13:25 PM »
More evidence emerges.

marrec

« Reply #21513 on: June 12, 2019, 03:13:43 PM »

Dark Cloud sucks donkey ball

fucc u its the best thing Level-5 ever did

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21514 on: June 12, 2019, 03:14:10 PM »

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #21515 on: June 12, 2019, 03:14:23 PM »

Sounds like making them black is actually the less offensive way to go

benjipwns

« Reply #21516 on: June 12, 2019, 03:15:19 PM »
I still don't buy it. If this is enough for some people to justify buying the game so be it. But not for me.

And even if it were, one correction doesn't magically erase all the unapologetically hateful stuff GOG and CDPR have spouted. Sorry, but I'm not giving this company a cent anymore.
It is pretty fucked up but people are taking this response at face value. This response does nothing to ease my concerns, it just shows they’re extremely ignorant with the subject.
I think folks are conflating a plausible explanation with a good one.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #21517 on: June 12, 2019, 03:15:46 PM »
what is this titty text game and where can i buy it? i need something to keep me going till cyberpunk bartender 2

https://yoplatz.itch.io/hardcodeddemo

:dead

Never underestimate the horniness of nerds.
yo... i missed this, 5k a month to draw robot tiddies? Where do i sign up?

That's some Machiavelli shit.

benjipwns

« Reply #21518 on: June 12, 2019, 03:16:29 PM »
if you'll draw anything you can make way more than $5000 a month from the internet

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #21519 on: June 12, 2019, 03:17:50 PM »
if you'll draw anything you can make way more than $5000 a month from the internet
This has something to do with Sonic wearing a diaper i assume.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #21520 on: June 12, 2019, 03:18:25 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/polygon-cdpr-responds-to-sexualized-trans-advertisement-in-cyberpunk-2077-read-staff-post-before-posting.122807/#post-21804783

This just reads so hollow when everything shown of Cyberpunk 2077 so far has been so completely sanitized of sexuality and LGBT representation. Nothing shown so far makes it seem like brazen depictions of objectified sexuality aren't still considered taboo in Night City, which makes the advertisement just popping up on a wall seem more like an attempt to be absurd and mocking. Especially when the advertisement's design is designed similarly to bigoted jokes about trans people - "Oh, a sexy woman! Ah, surprise, there's a penis. Mix it up! Don't take it personally, It's a joke." which just comes across as bigotry in the guise of edgy social commentary.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

??? would have been easier to just say "i wasn't paying attention to this game until i heard there was a reason to be upset at it"

this person advertises themselves as a games livejournalist too...so maybe book an appointment with them and do a proper interview?

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #21521 on: June 12, 2019, 03:19:28 PM »

Getting mad that the corporate advertising in your videogame doesn't 100% meet your standards is very on-brand for era.
每天生气

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #21522 on: June 12, 2019, 03:19:51 PM »
I still don't buy it. If this is enough for some people to justify buying the game so be it. But not for me.

And even if it were, one correction doesn't magically erase all the unapologetically hateful stuff GOG and CDPR have spouted. Sorry, but I'm not giving this company a cent anymore.

And they're back to claiming that "Did you assume my gender" joke (and later apologize) is the most transphobic act a human is capable off.

benjipwns

« Reply #21523 on: June 12, 2019, 03:20:41 PM »
Let’s stop jumping to conclusions about a company with a past against a group of marginalized people. I should just pray that these straight white people are going to do right by my community.

Raist

« Reply #21524 on: June 12, 2019, 03:20:48 PM »
"I don't get what the issue is"

"CONTEXT MATTERS, shitlord. Have you not heard about CDPR's history of history?"

"So here's the idea behind the ad according to an interview with t-"

"NOT THAT KIND OF CONTEXT :rage"

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #21525 on: June 12, 2019, 03:22:22 PM »
Maybe wait until you've played the game and understand the context before critiquing how it deals with complex issues?
Fuck out my face, nicca.
There’s nothing “up in arms” about my post.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/polygon-cdpr-responds-to-sexualized-trans-advertisement-in-cyberpunk-2077-read-staff-post-before-posting.122807/post-21806292

thread seems to be going swimmingly

BisMarckie

« Reply #21526 on: June 12, 2019, 03:24:41 PM »
Fuck out my face, nicca.

I asked a question about them treating people of color and their vernacular as stereotypical.

:doge

Raist

« Reply #21527 on: June 12, 2019, 03:24:52 PM »
Maybe wait until you've played the game and understand the context before critiquing how it deals with complex issues?
Fuck out my face, nicca.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/polygon-cdpr-responds-to-sexualized-trans-advertisement-in-cyberpunk-2077-read-staff-post-before-posting.122807/post-21806292

thread seems to be going swimmingly

Username and avatar. Cultural appropriation galore :holeup

benjipwns

« Reply #21528 on: June 12, 2019, 03:25:00 PM »
??? would have been easier to just say "i wasn't paying attention to this game until i heard there was a reason to be upset at it"

this person advertises themselves as a games livejournalist too...so maybe book an appointment with them and do a proper interview?
Quote from: bluexy
I feel like I'm getting called out on the letter of the law by a bunch of people. No, I'm sorry, but advertisements we in the modern day will see in Vogue magazine or going from a black screen to waking up from a one-night stand like is seen in every other PG-13 teen romance or comedy is sanitized as fuck. We're talking about an advertisement for future-Coka Cola with a detailed depiction of a penis in comparison.
Exactly, but that's my point. What CDPR has shown so far regarding sexuality isn't that dissimilar to what we see today, for the most part. Except for this poster.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #21529 on: June 12, 2019, 03:25:00 PM »
More evidence emerges.

This just reads so hollow when everything shown of Cyberpunk 2077 so far has so completely sanitized of sexuality

benjipwns

« Reply #21530 on: June 12, 2019, 03:25:37 PM »
Maybe CDPR should just stick to ancient fantasy Poland because it’s clear they know nothing else.

benjipwns

« Reply #21531 on: June 12, 2019, 03:26:33 PM »
It's incredibly convenient for them to say "this is just how it is in 2077".

In present day, aka when this game will be released and played, it's still an exploitative representation of the LGBTQ+ community, and CDPR are the ones profiting from this game, not fictional "megacorporations".
it's exploitative of millions of people!

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #21532 on: June 12, 2019, 03:27:12 PM »
Maybe CDPR should just stick to ancient fantasy Poland because it’s clear they know nothing else.

But then they will still complain about lack of diversity...

BisMarckie

« Reply #21533 on: June 12, 2019, 03:27:57 PM »
I feel like I'm getting called out on the letter of the law by a bunch of people. No, I'm sorry, but advertisements we in the modern day will see in Vogue magazine or going from a black screen to waking up from a one-night stand like is seen in every other PG-13 teen romance or comedy is sanitized as fuck. We're talking about an advertisement for future-Coka Cola with a detailed depiction of a penis in comparison.

He does realize that Cyberpunk doesn‘t actually take place in 2077 but will be released next year?

benjipwns

« Reply #21534 on: June 12, 2019, 03:28:25 PM »
Honest question for people of color in this thread: if a team composed of white people made a game portraying black men as thugs with big cocks and black women as sex objects, going so far as to call them the N-word, but said that it is supposed to be a portrait of how society treats people of color and that it is a commentary on social issues, would that be acceptable? Would you trust them to do that in a sensible manner? Not considering anything of their past.
filler?

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #21535 on: June 12, 2019, 03:29:38 PM »
 :drool

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #21536 on: June 12, 2019, 03:29:46 PM »
:dead

benjipwns

« Reply #21537 on: June 12, 2019, 03:29:59 PM »
I mean they could always educate themselves by reading works of and talking to people who have extensively studied the subject? These companies do a ton of research into a million different things. Why not expect them to include this sort of stuff in that especially in a game dealing with a Cyberpunk setting. It's not exactly a huge ask. Fuck, just watch a few hours of Nick Cannon's Youtube show and even that tiny bit of effort ought to be enough to not be a complete fucking idiot in terms of racist garbage in your game. The internet exists. Not being stupid isn't as hard as some people try to make it seem.

benjipwns

« Reply #21538 on: June 12, 2019, 03:31:15 PM »
lmao the tweet after the one GR posted is even better:
https://twitter.com/RaeofSun95/status/1138777354199871488

TyrantGuardian is using this to refer to it as a "genocide simulator" :rofl

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #21539 on: June 12, 2019, 03:32:17 PM »
bluexy, freelance games livejournalist, has a good point. i've never seen sex used in an advertisement irl (especially in games...a field he should be familiar with). someone should try that...i bet sex would sell :thinking