Author Topic: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible  (Read 3793109 times)

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
Re: River Of Slime |OT| Mission: Impossible
« Reply #40500 on: August 26, 2019, 11:21:01 AM »

joeboy101

• TheBore rulez
« Reply #40501 on: August 26, 2019, 11:27:13 AM »
A dumb "Ogay" joke isn't worth getting upset about just as much the removal of that joke isn't worth getting upset about. It's all dumb

Meh;  none of it upsets me directly, but I think we are better off as a society since homophobic jokes became unacceptable (or at the very least, relegated to actually funny or ironic comedy).   Like I imagine it's way more comfortable to be gay these days than it was 10 years ago when "lol that's gay" was way more common. 

Not my fight to fight but I don't find it funny to laugh at people getting upset over childish homophobia.

Based on everything I’ve seen of it (admittedly not much), Ion Fury would qualify as ironic comedy.

« Reply #40502 on: August 26, 2019, 11:28:44 AM »
A dumb "Ogay" joke isn't worth getting upset about just as much the removal of that joke isn't worth getting upset about. It's all dumb

Meh;  none of it upsets me directly, but I think we are better off as a society since homophobic jokes became unacceptable (or at the very least, relegated to actually funny or ironic comedy).   Like I imagine it's way more comfortable to be gay these days than it was 10 years ago when "lol that's gay" was way more common. 

Not my fight to fight but I don't find it funny to laugh at people getting upset over childish homophobia.

Based on everything I’ve seen of it (admittedly not much), Ion Fury would qualify as ironic comedy.

You mean ionic comedy. Ah hahahha. Ha ha.

Ha.

Riotous big gay.

marrec

« Reply #40503 on: August 26, 2019, 11:28:50 AM »

Horseshoe Theory but for reactionary internet incels

marrec

« Reply #40504 on: August 26, 2019, 12:02:08 PM »
o jesus they've decided to lean in

https://twitter.com/voidpnt/status/1166015601074008066

I'm sorry, but if you think playing off the brand name "OLAY" to write "OGAY" is a homophobic slur, I don't know what to tell you. If you're looking to be offended you will often find what you're looking for.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40505 on: August 26, 2019, 12:05:44 PM »
THEY GOT HIM

User banned (permanent): linking and endorsing content from a hate movement, severe prior infractions including misogyny

(Image removed from quote.)

Calling Sophia Narwitz a "hate movement"  :lol :rofl

https://twitter.com/SophNar0747/status/1165989386858717187
https://twitter.com/SophNar0747/status/1165993069457682435
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 12:12:33 PM by bork »
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40506 on: August 26, 2019, 12:07:08 PM »
The devs are doing the right thing.

It's just a harmless joke, like everything in the game. The game takes place in this dystopian mess of a future.
If they played it they would find stuff way more offending  :idont
🤴

BisMarckie

« Reply #40507 on: August 26, 2019, 12:07:48 PM »
Well, we all know what to do now if we want them to walk-back walking-back their walk-back. Let the review bombing begin.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ion-fury-to-retain-homophobic-content-after-all.137267/page-6#post-23939848

:woody

War has changed.

It's no longer about nations, ideologies, or ethnicity. It's an endless series of proxy battles, fought by mercenaries and machines. :expert

marrec

« Reply #40508 on: August 26, 2019, 12:09:05 PM »

It's just a harmless joke, like everything in the game. The game takes place in this dystopian mess of a future.

The "right thing" would have been to ignore ERA to begin with. Now by arguing with Mike about the definition of "homophobic" they're just going to come out shitty.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40510 on: August 26, 2019, 12:10:18 PM »

The "right thing" would have been to ignore ERA to begin with. Now by arguing with Mike about the definition of "homophobic" they're just going to come out shitty.

Yup.  They reacted to the REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEing too quickly, then got a giant backlash over it and reversed their decision.  They fucked up.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40512 on: August 26, 2019, 12:11:48 PM »

True, and Mike is good people.  :)
🤴

marrec

« Reply #40513 on: August 26, 2019, 12:12:30 PM »
https://twitter.com/SophNar0747/status/1165980069082406913

:gladbron

::)

Sophia and Cauliflower should do a YouTube show together.

True, and Mike is good people.  :)

Mike's hella good people who has quite a lot of goodwill baked in from his recent fight against G2A, why on earth would you publicly spat with him about this?

At this point I'm kinda rooting for the reactionaries to tear these people apart cause they so dumb

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #40514 on: August 26, 2019, 12:15:34 PM »

I think they're hoping when people see it, they recognise it as a pun of "OLAY", and think "Ha it's funny because gay is funny", which to me seems juvenile and derisive towards homosexuals. I mean if the game was making fun of itself, or set in a universe that is making fun of itself a là Far Cry: Blood Dragon I guess you could consider it a satire, but since no-one has mentioned that I assume it isn't the case

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40515 on: August 26, 2019, 12:17:58 PM »

I think they're hoping when people see it, they recognise it as a pun of "OLAY", and think "Ha it's funny because gay is funny", which to me seems juvenile and derisive towards homosexuals. I mean if the game was making fun of itself, or set in a universe that is making fun of itself a là Far Cry: Blood Dragon I guess you could consider it a satire, but since no-one has mentioned that I assume it isn't the case

It's a pretty stupid little joke and if they changed the text to something else, who really gives a shit?  My problem was the immediate bending over backwards because of the REEEEEEEEEEEEEE.  Why the hell do game devs continue to acknowledge purple-gaf?
ど助平

marrec

« Reply #40516 on: August 26, 2019, 12:18:33 PM »
Imagine fighting to keep a bottom of the barrel "joke" like that in your game for fear of alt-right weirdos review bombing your game and hurting your revenue stream.

Who the fuck wants to be a game dev these days?

Boredfrom

« Reply #40517 on: August 26, 2019, 12:21:04 PM »

Eh...

Is a Duke Nukem pseudo spin-off.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40518 on: August 26, 2019, 12:21:17 PM »
Imagine fighting to keep a bottom of the barrel "joke" like that in your game for fear of alt-right weirdos review bombing your game and hurting your revenue stream.

Both extreme sides are the problem.  Keep the politics the fuck out of VIDEO GAMES unless your game is actually about that as a subject matter.  They should have thought better about labeling something "Ogay" in 2019, but the over the top REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEaction to it as just as absurd. 
ど助平

Boredfrom

« Reply #40519 on: August 26, 2019, 12:22:36 PM »

Being fair, they seem to agree with the alt right weirdos.  :mike

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40520 on: August 26, 2019, 12:28:50 PM »
One scene of the game would have the Reeee's go totally bonkers.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shelly walks into a lab and finds a new enemy. A sort of exoskeleton that warps around the room.

She screams something to the effect of
"AAEEEHHHHH this is your most fucked up creation yet. He doesn't have a dick!"
[close]
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40521 on: August 26, 2019, 12:29:11 PM »

First they came for OGAY and I said nothing... :salute
ὕβρις

marrec

« Reply #40522 on: August 26, 2019, 12:29:18 PM »

Both extreme sides are the problem.  Keep the politics the fuck out of VIDEO GAMES unless your game is actually about that as a subject matter.  They should have thought better about labeling something "Ogay" in 2019, but the over the top REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEaction to it as just as absurd.

100%. Review bombing a game because of Discord chat logs an admitted alt-right troll served up to you is perhaps the stupidest thing I've ever seen ERA do, made all the more ridiculous because they weren't actually able to properly make a bomb... the ONLY reason this story has any traction at all is because the devs wanted to publicly placate a small group of idiots who let themselves be puppets.

Really tho, "ogay" is such a bad joke it should be removed for being completely unfunny if not slightly offensive to some people.

marrec

« Reply #40523 on: August 26, 2019, 12:32:17 PM »

Who the fuck knows what they actually agree with, they seem to make decisions based on who is giving them the most bad reviews at any specific moment.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40524 on: August 26, 2019, 12:32:34 PM »
https://twitter.com/SophNar0747/status/1165980069082406913

:gladbron

Exposé 2 : Exposé Boogaloo.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Wow it's gonna be fucking nothing, probably.
[close]
ὕβρις

Boredfrom

« Reply #40525 on: August 26, 2019, 12:34:00 PM »
They were in a no win situation and they choose the side that actually buys their stuff, for better or worse it also aligns partially to their political spectrum. Being honest, the guy managing the Voidpoint twitter account should probably just “Shut the fuck up” in the case of saying something more stupid than the Ohgay stuff.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #40526 on: August 26, 2019, 12:34:29 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/eddie-huang-annouces-that-he-will-go-vegan-on-instagram-to-save-the-amazon.137187/

Era fucking hates vegans which basically boils down to not wanting to give up their precious tendies.  :lol

Im going to go vegan because it takes 20 times less land to feed a vegan than a meat eater and over 90% of the land cleared in the amazon rainforest since 1970 is used for grazing livestock, but if all of us just stopped eating BEEF it would solve huge problems.

1) Bullshit. You put everyone on a Vegan diet and the problem would just be as bad as meat. Just slightly less so.
2) Good on him if he doesn't go back to meat after the Amazon stops burning.

I had a really rough 2018- early 2019, got high and just ate myself to sleep watching Harry Potter a lot lol

Of course.

Boredfrom

« Reply #40527 on: August 26, 2019, 12:38:01 PM »

Who the fuck knows what they actually agree with, they seem to make decisions based on who is giving them the most bad reviews at any specific moment.

All points out that it was 3D realms the ones that panicked.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #40528 on: August 26, 2019, 12:38:27 PM »

Eh...

So it's supposed to be "so dumb it's funny"? Like Rob Schneider/ Deadpool type humour?

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #40529 on: August 26, 2019, 12:40:52 PM »

You're not wrong, I guess it's just the way Era goes about it that makes them look so dumb.
Like apparently it's their job to police the industry

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Era does a pretty respectable job of helping to police this industry. The previous thread may have actually saved lives because it dug up some off-site shit, thanks to the Trevor Project donation which we now know is going to still happen. We've been the instigating, central point for numerous journalistic moves, including -- but absolutely not limited to -- the original story on places like GI concerning this.

It's not a stretch to say we could have done more.
:ego

So it's supposed to be "so dumb it's funny"? Like Rob Schneider/ Deadpool type humour?
That's my read on it but I haven't actually played the game to know how much it fits the tone

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40530 on: August 26, 2019, 12:42:06 PM »

Eh...

Yup, that sums up the game pretty well. That and amazeballs level design.
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #40531 on: August 26, 2019, 12:42:20 PM »
Should have just made the 10k donation with a much shorter, simpler statement and silently removed the out of bounds room and the ogay bottle in the next patch. Yes, reset would be upset at the silence, but you can afford to upset them. That way you dont wake the homophobic giant in the room and still do the right thing.

It's pretty pathetic you have to tip-toe around the fact a good chunk of consumers still think shit like "OGay" is acceptable or even funny.

And kinda sad this forum seems to think Resetera are the ones to be sneering at here.

Personally, what comes to mind when I see "OGay" is reminiscent of pro-Pride corporate appropriation. It's 2019 and "gay" isn't an insult or harmful.
^_^

marrec

« Reply #40532 on: August 26, 2019, 12:43:35 PM »
Should have just made the 10k donation with a much shorter, simpler statement and silently removed the out of bounds room and the ogay bottle in the next patch. Yes, reset would be upset at the silence, but you can afford to upset them. That way you dont wake the homophobic giant in the room and still do the right thing.

It's pretty pathetic you have to tip-toe around the fact a good chunk of consumers still think shit like "OGay" is acceptable or even funny.

And kinda sad this forum seems to think Resetera are the ones to be sneering at here.

Personally, what comes to mind when I see "OGay" is reminiscent of pro-Pride corporate appropriation. It's 2019 and "gay" isn't an insult or harmful.

https://www.pointandclickbait.com/2019/08/actually-its-you-apostrophe-re/

Boredfrom

« Reply #40533 on: August 26, 2019, 12:50:25 PM »
Impressively spineless. I guess the change last week had less to do with decency and more to do with 3DR/Voidpoint caving to literally any pressure online. Articles are being written about our 90s-ass homophobia? Better take it out and make a statement. We’re being review bombed and getting dragged on our Steam forums? Better put it back in and make another statement. There are no convictions on display here, just “please don’t be mad at us” groveling.

This is the world you have been fighting for, though. I will concede that is funny that the game fan base see nothing wrong with doing the same reactionary bitching that they hate for a minor joke and a joke it was no supposed to be seen by the player.  At one point you need to realize if bitching on social media actually changes stuff for the better or is just reactionary BS to corps and politicians to panic over.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #40534 on: August 26, 2019, 01:00:13 PM »
This is kind of first for a celebrity chef type to go vegan, right?

:lol

I love how they think all these people are well known or something.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40535 on: August 26, 2019, 01:02:51 PM »
Not to put too fine a point on it, but Era does a pretty respectable job of helping to police this industry. The previous thread may have actually saved lives because it dug up some off-site shit, thanks to the Trevor Project donation which we now know is going to still happen. We've been the instigating, central point for numerous journalistic moves, including -- but absolutely not limited to -- the original story on places like GI concerning this.

It's not a stretch to say we could have done more.
:ego

Who said this?  :lol :rofl  It's on par with "Gaf's strict moderation was probably the main force that formed me into an intellectually responsible and respectful adult."

Newsfeed.

EDIT: found it: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ion-fury-to-retain-homophobic-content-after-all.137267/page-8#post-23941903
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 01:08:01 PM by bork »
ど助平

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40536 on: August 26, 2019, 01:02:58 PM »
Rob Schneider :nope

Roy Scheider  :ohyeah
ὕβρις

Boredfrom

« Reply #40537 on: August 26, 2019, 01:03:40 PM »
Quote from: ShockingAlbertoFromKindaFunny
I'm not saying that.

I'm heavily implying it, though.

:awesome

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40538 on: August 26, 2019, 01:11:23 PM »
PewDiePie gives money directly or head charity drives in the hundred of thousands - Yeah well good for him but he's still a shit head.

Koch bankrolled for hundred of millions Cancer research facilities - Pfff. Obvious self interest.

ResetERA participated in a public uproar that resulted in a 10k donation - Let's not mince words : we may have saved lives there.
ὕβρις

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #40539 on: August 26, 2019, 01:16:55 PM »

The insult would be if the joke was simply that something associated with the word gay is funny, as though being gay is a thing of ridicule. That being said I am nowhere near familiar enough with this game to understand the context, and I doubt i'll play it so I never will.

Boredfrom

« Reply #40540 on: August 26, 2019, 01:17:37 PM »
oh cool, i was just talking about how the misuse of the word "censorship" has bad implications and lets people defend stuff that is indefensible.

fuck this game. let it get its edgelord validation sales and then fucking die

:point :point :point :point :point

:success

Shuri

« Reply #40541 on: August 26, 2019, 01:19:27 PM »
PewDiePie gives money directly or head charity drives in the hundred of thousands - Yeah well good for him but he's still a shit head.

Koch bankrolled for hundred of millions Cancer research facilities - Pfff. Obvious self interest.

ResetERA participated in a public uproar that resulted in a 10k donation - Let's not mince words : we may have saved lives there.
Are you going to show up at the protest? Yeah well I can't, I have something else to do on that day you see
Are you going to vote? It's not worth it. I don't vote because I know it's rigged and nothing will change.
Do you have a job? I don't work because automation will kill most jobs and  Also Basic Income Guarantee  is coming so I'll wait and do creative stuff.  #learn2code

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #40542 on: August 26, 2019, 01:21:27 PM »

Tropic Thunder  :nope

Blue Thunder  :ohyeah

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40543 on: August 26, 2019, 01:22:07 PM »

Tropic Thunder  :nope

Blue Thunder  :ohyeah

Blue Steel  :bluesteel
ど助平

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #40544 on: August 26, 2019, 01:26:28 PM »
All of this for a fucking bottle of shampoo in a video game?  :hhh

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #40545 on: August 26, 2019, 01:27:23 PM »
facial cream

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40546 on: August 26, 2019, 01:27:25 PM »
Most developers have publishers or someone in charge of reviewing the game content breathing down their necks to say what they can and can't do.
A lot of things that make Ion Fury great would've never been included if the publisher had screened the content. It's a game that literally could've been on store shelves in 1997.

OGay is just a thing you have to accept in the name of creative freedom if you want this type of game to exist. Because no sane publisher would sign a game like this in 2019. Except for 3D Realms.

I'm not holding out much hope for console ports either because of the same reasons.
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #40547 on: August 26, 2019, 01:27:31 PM »

It's about hygiene in videogames.
ὕβρις

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #40548 on: August 26, 2019, 01:27:47 PM »
Well, we all know what to do now if we want them to walk-back walking-back their walk-back. Let the review bombing begin.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ion-fury-to-retain-homophobic-content-after-all.137267/page-6#post-23939848

:woody

This is why companies shouldn't engage with these fringe fucks. Just deal with the people who want to play your game and don't get involved in the pathetic online proxy wars.

marrec

« Reply #40549 on: August 26, 2019, 01:34:10 PM »

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #40550 on: August 26, 2019, 01:37:36 PM »
"Why do these assholes complain about censorship?"

*meanwhile in the same thread*

Steam needs to delist this garbage.
I'd urge people to report the store page, as that's the only way to get Valve to do anything about it.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ion-fury-to-retain-homophobic-content-after-all.137267/post-23943908

Propagandhim

« Reply #40551 on: August 26, 2019, 01:39:20 PM »

You'll feel a sense of purpose and meaning for all of 1 fleeting second, and then it's back to being miserable?

« Reply #40552 on: August 26, 2019, 01:40:27 PM »
Steam needs to delist this garbage.
I'd urge people to report the store page, as that's the only way to get Valve to do anything about it.
::)
What do people mean when they say censorship? I'm getting tired of that word

:mindblown
Remember - Deplatforming is not censorship. It’s just getting rid of controversial and offensive things.

EDIT: Beaten by Frank  :'(

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #40553 on: August 26, 2019, 01:40:58 PM »
I'm sure they're terrified at the prospect of getting review bombed by a few dozens reetata posters.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #40554 on: August 26, 2019, 01:46:37 PM »

I probably would've misread it as Olay and never thought about it again
Amazing

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40555 on: August 26, 2019, 01:52:43 PM »
The developers of this game started working on it in 2015.
So far they sold about 100k - 200k copies.

The team includes developers who have autism are disabled or both.
They really don't have to worry about 3D Realms doing another game with these guys because I doubt a second game was ever doable.
It's a passion project of Duke3D fans more than anything.

That's also why the developers don't give a fuck about their reputation and/or future prospects because as it stands there are none  :idont
🤴

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #40557 on: August 26, 2019, 02:01:28 PM »
Maybe it's good that Gearbox has Duke now. Pitchford's a moron, but at least Gearbox in general seems to be pretty progressive.
Who cares that Randy is a talentless hack leeching of SEGA doing piss play all day. At least he is progressive
🤴

stufte

« Reply #40558 on: August 26, 2019, 02:01:57 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ion-fury-to-retain-homophobic-content-after-all.137267/post-23945276

I'm glad I waited on this, this shit sucks.

You weren't going to buy it anyway you stupid furry.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #40559 on: August 26, 2019, 02:02:44 PM »
Ahh, good old "Webster's Dictionary defines censorship as.."
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ion-fury-to-retain-homophobic-content-after-all.137267/post-23945117

Getting mad at some quoting the dictionary while everyone talks about how no one understands what censorship means but doesn't back it up with a single citation  :cornette