Author Topic: Google Stadia: Electric Snoopaloo Sayga Bleemcast 2  (Read 82995 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Google Stadia: Electric Snoopaloo Sayga Bleemcast 2
« Reply #780 on: May 06, 2021, 03:39:32 PM »
They've basically made every wrong decision they possibly could.
dog

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #781 on: May 06, 2021, 03:52:48 PM »
They've basically made every wrong decision they possibly could.

Wrong.

In the latest update, a search bar was added to the platform after 500 days without one.
©@©™

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #782 on: May 06, 2021, 04:34:57 PM »
stadia subreddit taking the news well

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/n5snt5/john_justice_departure_bad_sign/

Quote from: tendeuchen
This article says John Justice "was responsible for the consumer experience at Stadia", even though his background was basically just Sales, Marketing, & Supply Chain Engineering at Microsoft, so not even in video games. Stadia needs to find someone who understands the video game space, and actually has a vision for the future of gaming.

Quote from: FutureDegree0
I like him as a person but most of Stadia problems is related to the product. Feature priorities were bad, premier edition didn't sell at all, poor features implementation, etc. So I don't think he did a really good job as VP of product.

If his departure means change, I don't see it as a bad thing. I still very secure that Stadia will not close and is here to stay. Nothing changed for me from before. Even if it closes, I really enjoyed the ride.

Quote from: aaronite
Quote from: tendeuchen
Quote from: aaronite
They weren't making games. Why would they need game developers.

People have left companies hundreds, maybe even thousands of times throughout history, even important people, and the companies have continued.

This is not news.
He "was responsible for the consumer experience at Stadia".
Well then good riddance. It not been a great experience this far.

loving a product so much, that you declare it has always been bad, in order to praise the departure of a key player in its creation and development

:nothing
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #783 on: May 06, 2021, 04:50:32 PM »
This was inevitable because Jade had already announced she was going to bring back her 'old friends'.

I guess lots of Ubisoft and Google Stadia devs will jump ship to Haven Entertainment in the coming months.
🤴

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #784 on: May 06, 2021, 05:02:41 PM »
Has Jade Raymond actually made a game in the last decade :doge

Her name mostly seems to be attached to vapourware and/or studios that die before releasing anything
(ice)

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #785 on: May 06, 2021, 05:05:09 PM »

Her name mostly seems to be attached to vapourware and/or studios that die before releasing anything

She hot tho
Margs

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #786 on: May 06, 2021, 05:25:01 PM »

That was something that she wrote about in her statement on the new studio.
That she thought about her carreer and what mattered etc. and that she wants to return her focus to GAMES (that she typed in all caps like this)
🤴

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #787 on: December 20, 2021, 05:23:55 PM »

Today I have seen more than a few voice their concern that Stadia wasn't featured by Google at The Game Awards. I get this, it's very sad, like a sick puppy.

With that out of the way I'm going to drop some speculation and thoughts of my own.

First, this has been par for the course with Stadia since day one. I'm not socked by it.

Second, the Stadia team has come out and said that they aren't going to announce much of anything in advance as it's backfired on them in the past. This was in their Discord awhile back. The hype could help growth but if they don't have anything amazing to show off in the next month or two, it's probably safest to say nothing. Empty hype often creates a lot of bad press in the end. I don't agree with this approach but I also don't have enough information to make an informed argument against it.

Finally, this one might sting and is just a matter of opinion, Google doesn't have a lot to talk about in regards to Stadia right now. This doesn't mean they're killing the platform but it does mean something. The reason we all got great discounts on games over Thanksgiving is because they didn't have anything else up their sleeve and knew they had to do something for their anniversary. I don't believe they have some great news coming out soon enough to warrent announcing it.

I didn't enjoy typing that last bit. I've said it before, I love Stadia and I hope the platform continues to grow and Google will see value in it. For now I treat it as one of the places I game and not the end all be all.

I believe they're hard at work bringing many more games over but they feel it's best to ghost drop those games so there is less pressure to meet deadlines. I think we'll see a lot in 2022 including some bigger free to plays. Still, it may be good to temper expectations and treat it as a "second console" at least for the time being.

In the end nothing has changed with Stadia. There is no need to get ourselves worked up. Just my opinion.

Let me know your thoughts.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 05:28:20 PM by Uncle »
Uncle

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #788 on: December 20, 2021, 06:45:59 PM »
Denial is a powerful thing.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #789 on: December 20, 2021, 08:37:25 PM »
They're really huffing the copium over on the r/stadia, aren't they?
dog

Tasty

« Reply #790 on: February 04, 2022, 12:52:27 PM »
https://9to5google.com/2022/02/04/stadia-google-stream/

According to Business Insider, the white-label effort goes by the name “Google Stream” in a throwback to the original beta test. Before the Sony acquisition, Google was in discussion with Bungie to offer the platform wherein the Destiny maker would “own the content and control the front-end experience.” It’s unclear how the upcoming $3.6 billion purchase impacts that as Sony has an existing streaming tech deal with Microsoft. There have also been talks with Capcom for Google Stream to run game demos similar to the AT&T arrangement for Batman: Arkham Knight.

Outside of traditional gaming companies, Google is also talking to Peleton to have Stadia’s technology power titles on fitness bikes. One such game entered a closed demo late last year.

Meanwhile, today’s report sheds some light on the state of the consumer platform. Current and former employees estimated that “about 20% of the focus was on the consumer platform” in light of dealmaking and “proof-of-concept work for Google Stream.”

In terms of games, the focus is on making sure end users continue to get them from existing publishing and other independent deals all of which will be cheaper than big titles, while spending for “exclusives would be out of the question.”

Similarly, Stadia head Phil Harrison no longer reports to Devices & Services SVP Rick Osterloh, but rather the executive in charge of subscriptions.

Lastly, BI reports that at the end of 2020, Google had failed to reach its 1 million monthly active users target by “about 25%,” with one person quoted as saying that “Retention was a real problem.” It’s unclear if this is referring to Stadia Pro or whether it also includes people who bought games outright.

In a statement, Google did nothing to really refute the article today and pointed to how it is “still focused on bringing great games to Stadia in 2022,” specifically over 100 titles are again targeted.

Hmm...

If Phil is trying to turn Stadia into the "Unreal Engine of cloud gaming" (scare quotes added by me), he'll likely be much more successful at doing that than trying to make "a traditional console like PS5, but, like, in the cloud."

This shatters my confidence in Stadia as an ongoing consumer platform (especially that Stadio Pro sub, and possibly even the hardware/controllers too.)

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #791 on: September 29, 2022, 12:26:51 PM »

« Reply #792 on: September 29, 2022, 01:11:07 PM »
I hope Alucard is ok.  :o

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #793 on: September 29, 2022, 02:42:31 PM »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #794 on: September 29, 2022, 03:45:00 PM »
Dying of laughter. I thought there was no way Google would go down this path, but this once and for all cements Google’s reputation.

Tasty

« Reply #795 on: September 29, 2022, 03:46:51 PM »
Lol

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1575519627945410560

Who could’ve seen this coming?

The writing has been definitely, brightly plastered on multiple walls after Jade Raymond left and their only first party studio closed.

I always ask "How hard is it to just copy what MS did with the OG Xbox? How hard is it two last two generations so you really have an actual shot like the 360 did?"

Apparently the answer must be, "It's pretty hard."

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #796 on: September 29, 2022, 04:51:04 PM »
Google made that product on the back of a lot of assumptions just like Amazon gaming did.

Most at Google figured gaming would be the next 'big thing' you wanted to be a part of.
Big events with access to celebrity circles, lots of great PR and easy money. Of course the gaming industry is none of those things.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #797 on: September 29, 2022, 05:07:06 PM »
Google's problem was making everyone rewrite their games. That can slide with an actual box you're selling, but in the cloud you can use whatever works. And this was before Proton took off with Steam Deck (and I think Stadia forced a bunch of custom programming/API on top of normal Linux anyways), which was bad timing on top of a bad decision.

Short of moneyhats you're never going to get real support until you make it to your second generation.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #798 on: September 29, 2022, 09:44:30 PM »
Google made that product on the back of a lot of assumptions just like Amazon gaming did.
As Tasty notes though, Amazon has been flexible enough to switch paths. I wouldn't call Luna any good or anything but the API doesn't sound like garbage and they partnered with Ubisoft. Plus they have the way to dangle it in front of Prime members.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #799 on: September 29, 2022, 09:57:23 PM »

:neogaf

Tasty

« Reply #800 on: September 29, 2022, 11:19:19 PM »
Phil Harrison, three strikes, yerout

« Reply #801 on: September 30, 2022, 10:16:16 AM »
Google needed proof of concept games. Little toys that showed, wow this is what cloud can do.

Like give me a neighborhood sized block with a level of simulation that rivals dwarf fortress and schedule tracking like shen mue, and branching paths etc. Now I realize that’s a huge order but just a block on a street in size, and say “go have fun”. Something with a level of agent tracking that would make a single cpu buckle (think the sims 3 when you’re trying to track a whole 8+ family), or a single destructible building down to the plaster, water pipes, etc that would be like red faction guerrilla but turned up to a million.

Basically little toys that would show this what you can do on a server farm vs a single box. People expected cyber punk 2077 to track 4000 npcs with individual schedules on last gen consoles, this could have done that. But ah well to the google graveyard.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #802 on: September 30, 2022, 11:00:30 AM »
Meh. In concept, the PSP supported 16 person multiplayer, but that never happened either.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #803 on: September 30, 2022, 11:24:07 AM »
https://twitter.com/Detessed/status/1575555432218734592

lol this man

https://kotaku.com/ubisoft-in-trouble-over-comments-about-female-character-1589611410

Speaking in an interview with Polygon, Alex Hutchinson, the game's director, said that the developers were "inches away" from allowing players to choose between a man or woman as a co-op buddy in the upcoming shooter's multiplayer.

What stopped them? Hutchinson said it was "purely a workload issue." The team didn't have a "female reader for the character" at its disposal, nor did it have "all the animations in place."

https://twitter.com/BangBangClick/status/1319305553454288896

https://twitter.com/BangBangClick/status/1575538292879233027
Uncle

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #804 on: September 30, 2022, 01:28:26 PM »
Big win all around for everyone involved!
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #805 on: September 30, 2022, 01:40:40 PM »
Lmao 😂😂😂
What

Tasty

« Reply #806 on: September 30, 2022, 04:43:26 PM »
https://9to5google.com/2022/09/30/stadia-exclusive-death-stranding-kojima/

Ultimately, it was said to be Stadia’s General Manager, Phil Harrison, who made the final call to cancel the [Stadia-exclusive] Death Stranding follow-up.

:neogaf

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #807 on: September 30, 2022, 07:21:21 PM »
🤴

« Reply #808 on: October 01, 2022, 09:38:57 AM »
https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1575562996050325504

EVERYTHING IS A GRIFT

So am I reading that auction right? It's for a Dreamcast, power glove, copy of E.T., Atari controller, and promo standee?

Someone's going to overpay by about $1,985.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #809 on: October 02, 2022, 02:17:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/ItsColourTV/status/1575584237180243968

This guy spent more time on Stadia than Google did.
©@©™

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #810 on: October 02, 2022, 05:15:39 PM »
RDR2 doesn't let you idle online easily, you get kicked off after a few minutes, so it's not like he left it on overnight a few times

that's 246 days of playtime

there are 1046 days from RDR2's release on Stadia to the day it was announced to be shutting down

but worse than that, you have to assume about 12 hours of every day are taken up doing daily life shit, 8 hours sleeping, 4 hours getting food and showering and stuff

so during those 1046 days this guy has had about 523 hours of free time in his life

and has spent literally half of that playing RDR2 on Stadia

:whatisthis
Uncle

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #811 on: October 02, 2022, 06:58:13 PM »
RIP Google Sussudio

The elephant in the room is that the market struggles at three major gaming platforms. Microsoft’s entire goal with Xbox is to increase brand awareness but Google is almost everywhere. I don’t think this ever had a chance.
🍆🍆

Tasty

« Reply #812 on: October 03, 2022, 02:36:33 PM »
Prediction:

This stops being promoted within a year and is completely shut down within two

1.5 years off isn't too bad.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #813 on: October 04, 2022, 10:57:47 AM »
Tbf to Google they kept it around longer than they probably should have :trumps

I do think if MS put out a controller and usb stick for their streaming stuff for around £50 it could do pretty well.
(ice)