Author Topic: Genesis/Mega Drive Mini 1 and 2  (Read 26245 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Genesis/Mega Drive Mini 1 and 2
« Reply #360 on: November 05, 2022, 06:29:54 PM »
Yes, thats exactly it. The front ports output lower power.

https://modmyclassic.com/wiki/index.php?title=PlayStation_Classic#USB_Current_Limiting
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #361 on: November 05, 2022, 06:34:44 PM »
Ok, I think the guides I'm looking at are fucked. They linked to a non-powered cheapo USB hub to get the initial USB working. But it sounds like there wouldn't be enough power from port 2 to power that USB hub and the modern USB stick. It sure looks like you either need an old ass USB stick that is guaranteed to work or you need a more expensive powered USB hub that actually has an AC plug in from the wall.

*edit* Yeah, looking it up that seems it.

Grabbing a powered USB hub that plugs into the wall and the OTG splitter you linked for after. That should let me get started on this.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 06:44:24 PM by Bebpo »

Bebpo

« Reply #362 on: November 05, 2022, 08:26:37 PM »
Ended up going back and just playing some more of Genesis mini 2. Man these games are all pretty tough or slow. Not sure if there's any easy casual stuff on this group.

I never played Treasure's Alien Soldier before. Don't really get the controls. Couldn't beat the first boss.
Never played Viewpoint before, not a fan of 1 hit death = restart entire stage, especially with the weird isometric view for dodging bullets and large hitbox
Langrisser 1/Warsong is actually kind of neat, but sitting for 3-4 mins while the enemy takes their turn is zzzzz
Shining Force CD gameplay is kind of neat, but it's way too talky
Shining in the Darkness has nice art, but the dungeon crawling is kinda zzz
All these FMV SegaCD games are terrible. Mansion of Hidden Souls could be good except can barely see shit and it runs so slow.
Ristar seems kind of neat. Never played it before. Like the grab mechanics.
Elevator Action 2 is still solid though pretty sure I've played better versions.
Final Fight CD has nice music and voice but I don't like the more bland lack of colors compared to the SNES/GBA versions.
Vectorman 2 controls pretty well but the stages seem kinda unfun
Puyo Puyo in this is 2p only? Otherwise just endless practice mode?
Virtua Racing is boring compared to the Saturn version and various ports over the last two decades.

That being said, I do greatly respect the sprite scaling used in the emulation as the games look great. I wish the PS1 classic looked like this visually. Hopefully with the autobleem it'll look closer to this for 2d stuff Wild Arms.

Bebpo

« Reply #363 on: November 06, 2022, 12:58:01 AM »
So I got autobleem running.

At double resolution with bilinear off (which keeps defaulting to on so I have to change it off every time) it looks alright. Basically looks like hooking up at PS1 and running PS1 320x240 ugly ass games blown up to 65" TV. Plus multiple save states.

Decent enough.

I was really hoping since it was an emulator to have FF and Rewind options and stuff, but turning Rewind on tanks the FPS to like 5fps and I didn't see any FF options.

It's kind of a neat, but not sure I'd play a game from start to finish on it, as opposed to playing on a PC emulator where I can find run games at fast forward speed (because old games are slow) and at much higher resolution than just "double resolution"

I read if you don't use autobleem but use normal retroarch you have more options to tinker with, so maybe I can try that someday. I guess this is good enough for curiosity sake of messing around with some old PS1 games.

I think I'd enjoy having a box that did like PS2 at 4k resolution/60fps or something, but I guess that's called a PC with video out to your TV.

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #364 on: November 15, 2022, 08:29:09 PM »
RetroArch on the PS Classic is good, but most of the menu optionsnare very obtuse.  It took a lot of trial and error, but I got systems like Saturn, Dreamcast, N64, PSP, etc running on it.  I use a PS4 Hori wired fighting pad and it works well for the most part.  I second Demi's recommended Sandisk drives.  Any other brand was very slow.