Author Topic: Genesis/Mega Drive Mini 1 and 2  (Read 25777 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Alisia Dragoon was developed by Game Arts and has art design by Gainax.  :jgames
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Alisia Dragoon is a good one but did we really need Kid Chameleon, Eternal Champions, Columns, again? Would have loved to see the fan translation of Langrisser 2 on there instead.a

Give me all of those over the Genesis Virtua Fighter 2.  I don't get why they insist on always putting that in these compilations.  :lol
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
no sonic 3 or and knuckles is a fucking travesty
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Some clunkers in the last 12 games, but some gold, too. Overall, it's a really great lineup.

Sword of Vermilion
Crusaders of Centy
Light Crusader
Sorcerer's Kingdom
Warsong
Fatal Labyrinth
Shadowrun

That's all I'm asking for.

1 out of 7 ain't bad. :trumps
dog

paprikastaude

Not what I wanted, but all the prior batches were, so I guess it's alright. :trumps

Himu

MWIV?!

This collection is legit the best English Genny collection ever.  Pre-ordered.
IYKYK

Svejk

Had to go right for the feels!   :lawd

NINTENDO MINIS ANNIHILATED

In an even bolder move, Sega revealed that it’s releasing a handful of accessories for the Genesis Mini: recreations of the Sega CD, Sega 32X, and a Sonic the Hedgehog cartridge. All of these can stack to recreate the infamous “Sega Tower of Power,” only on a more diminutive scale.

Those add-on items are purely cosmetic, though. You won’t experience the full 32-bit power of a 32X by plugging it in. But the accessories will offer a more authentic aesthetic experience.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/4/18652108/sega-genesis-mini-mega-drive-tower-price

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
dog

Bebpo

Had to go right for the feels!   :lawd

NINTENDO MINIS ANNIHILATED

In an even bolder move, Sega revealed that it’s releasing a handful of accessories for the Genesis Mini: recreations of the Sega CD, Sega 32X, and a Sonic the Hedgehog cartridge. All of these can stack to recreate the infamous “Sega Tower of Power,” only on a more diminutive scale.

Those add-on items are purely cosmetic, though. You won’t experience the full 32-bit power of a 32X by plugging it in. But the accessories will offer a more authentic aesthetic experience.

(Image removed from quote.)

https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/4/18652108/sega-genesis-mini-mega-drive-tower-price

Wait so they don’t come with games or do anything?

Ehhhh

If they came with Sega CD & 32x games I would faint from that amazingness.

Also yeah collection is really just missing Rocket Knight. At least Dynamite Heady got in.

Chooky

yeah they're not working units, but the fact that they made these at all is incredible. they're really putting so much love into this little thing.

Svejk

I would've preferred they made the Master System converter top instead of the 32X... Could've easily drop most SMS games on there too.  Still... Surprised they're taking it this far already.

Chooky

bro... these are just cosmetic additions

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
If you just want a tiny scale model Genesis that's just to look at, that's somehow already an officially licensed thing.

©@©™

a slime appears

• retro king
My raspberrypi already does this.  :zzz

paprikastaude

Joe Molotov

• Administrator

Upgrade to an Intel NUC7, scrublord. :zzz
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

They even have a theme made already!  :lol

ど助平

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
slime no
dog

a slime appears

• retro king
lol i have mine already pre-ordered  :heart

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
So it turns out if you change the language setting on the Mini, it swaps the UI and even ROMs to the Japanese ones.

https://twitter.com/Retro_DPad/status/1138984384445407232
fat

Chooky

then this is now the best mini console

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
I wouldn't get too excited, apparently it only changes the game's region - I don't think it gives access to the JP games like Yu Yu Hakusho
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

Bebpo

I wouldn't get too excited, apparently it only changes the game's region - I don't think it gives access to the JP games like Yu Yu Hakusho

Yeah, that's what I figured. Probably would be a licensing issue otherwise.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Interesting that it does change out Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine for Puyo Puyo 2, though.  I mean it makes sense as MBM is a reskinned version of the game, but they're still two separate titles. :thinking
ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Boo, they really should just put all the roms in all the systems.
Hi

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

paprikastaude

delayed in europe  :camby

Himu

i admit i'm excited for this
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
16-BIT MEGA POWER!!! 

:neo
ど助平

Svejk

That commercial ...holy shit..  Sega the Godfather of MLG confirmed.  :mods

MMaRsu

• Administrator
delayed in europe  :camby

Cause they are adding Sonic & Knuckles 3 right?

right?

:stahp
What

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
They needed time to pull off the Sega Genesis stickers and put on Megadrive.
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Looks like jewtubers and media got review units ahead of release.

Here's Johnny Millenium (happyconsolegamer)'s take on it

fat

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Game Sack's take.  Guess the NDA was up today.

ど助平

Svejk

BLAST DAT PROCESSING  :nothot

paprikastaude

I can't wait, especially for all the games I don't know like Alisia Dragoon :lawd

Occam

Am I the only one here who already owns most of those games (except for Tetris, of course)? None of you have real Mega Drive/Genesis hardware and games?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 06:13:41 PM by Occam »

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
Grew up with the Super Nintendo at home. Played plenty of Genesis with a friend who lived down the street. Picked up the Genesis collection on PS2, then picked up the Sonic Sega Genesis Mega collection (it had some name like that) on the PS3. So I will have played a decent amount of the games that come with the Genesis Mini, but half of them I either barely touched or haven't played at all.
Sucks they don't include the 6 button controllers with the system since you have SF2 CE in the package (they include it in Japan). And I would never ever recommend Virtua Fighter 2 on the Genesis. That's really all I kinda frown on for an $80 package. I'm down to pick one up at some point. Don't care if they are hard to find at first as I'm in no rush.

Occam

I only ever use the 6 button controller nowadays, it has the same d-pad as a Saturn controller (aka the best d-pad ever made).

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
snes > genesis
fat

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
Just a little taste of nostalgia

Himu

Re: Genesis Mini!!! Emulation by M2 :o Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania Bloodlines, etc
« Reply #225 on: September 15, 2019, 11:33:00 PM »
Pre-ordered this and might cancel now. I mostly wanted it for MWIV and Castlevania Bloodlines. Bloodlines was by M2 and is on the Konami Vania Collection. I have MWIV on ps2 and 3.

I don't see the point of another Sega Genesis Collection and see this as a massive waste of money now. Will get Sega Genesis Classics on Switch instead. The Genesis Mini doesn't even have Shining Force II.

edit: Yeah, cancelling.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Re: Genesis Mini!!! Emulation by M2 :o Gunstar Heroes, Castlevania Bloodlines, etc
« Reply #226 on: September 16, 2019, 01:40:37 AM »
cool thanks for ur thoughts. i have 3 of them pre-ordered and gonna skullfuck a sonic plushie while you play your collection on switch.
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2019, 12:25:18 PM »

ah great the sound is fucked up
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2019, 12:28:01 PM »
Not hearing it tbf. But then again, they said you won't notice anything if you had no problems with SNES Mini either and that's the case for me.

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2019, 08:43:58 PM »

ah great the sound is fucked up
The only one I can really tell is that obvious Comix Zone one with the annoying YIP YIP YIP YIP beeping coming through. otherwise seems sweet to me.

little worried about the input lag tho. We just got a pi 4 so i'm wondering if at this point it'd just be better to buy some 8bitdo controllers and set it up as a retro box

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #230 on: September 19, 2019, 12:10:45 PM »
Got one of mine from Walmart today. Time to play some Light Crusader or Beyond Oasis
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #231 on: September 19, 2019, 12:17:53 PM »
Well im still gonna buy it, cant wait to pick one up next month?

How are you liking yours Demi? Pics?
What

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #232 on: September 19, 2019, 12:33:52 PM »
It's well done, as good as the SNES/NES. Since it uses the same plugs (HDMI, USB charging/plug) I just re-used the same things from the SNES so everything is still in the box.

Hoping it gets cracked open to see what ticks underneath

The controller cord is nice and long too.
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #233 on: September 20, 2019, 01:07:05 AM »
Got mine, how do you access the emulation menu in-game?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #234 on: September 20, 2019, 01:12:39 AM »
Hold start
fat

Bebpo

« Reply #235 on: September 20, 2019, 01:15:43 AM »
Thanks, yeah I was holding it but it takes a few seconds to pop.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #236 on: September 20, 2019, 07:19:37 AM »
Hidden game revealed for the Japanese version:

A 43rd game that can only be accessed via a hidden code was revealed – Kiss Shot, a snooker game released by Sega in 1992. The game is only available on the Japanese Mega Drive Mini, by pressing A+B+C and Start while inside Game no Kanzume Otokuyou.

ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #237 on: September 20, 2019, 09:52:39 AM »
https://modmyclassic.com/2019/09/20/sega-mega-drive-genesis-project-lunar-hack-update/

TLDR the Genesis Mini is pretty much a SNES Classic in terms of power and hardware but configured differently of course

List of ROMs on the US device - none of the region-exclusives aren't hiding there unfortunately

https://pastebin.com/8dkqF3Um

The emulator used on the Mega Drive is m2engage. It’s closed source and also supports emulation of other consoles. It’s the same emulator used on the Wii U Virtual Console
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 09:57:24 AM by demi »
fat

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #238 on: September 20, 2019, 10:26:35 AM »
Hidden game revealed for the Japanese version:

A 43rd game that can only be accessed via a hidden code was revealed – Kiss Shot, a snooker game released by Sega in 1992. The game is only available on the Japanese Mega Drive Mini, by pressing A+B+C and Start while inside Game no Kanzume Otokuyou.

(Image removed from quote.)

This early Bakemonogatari adaptation is weird.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #239 on: September 21, 2019, 04:07:32 PM »
What's worth replaying on this?