Author Topic: Genesis/Mega Drive Mini 1 and 2  (Read 25803 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
To be fair, the water sections in Sonic Mania are really easy compared to Sonic 3 or Sonic 2.

Tried playing Sonic 3 Complete and it just feels a lot stiffer than in my memory. But still got through the first act without getting hit  :leon

Yeah I need to get a 6 button pad, don't think I ever had a regular three button pad. Can't even play MK3 with this shit lol.
What

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
Got this setup on mine, but while I added some stuff it just showed me how damn good the selection in the mini is because I’d keep thinking to add a game and it was already on there. Outside Musha and Rocket knight and Shining Force II and a couple others, the mini selection is pretty much the best of the era.

/I don’t enjoy Sonic games as an adult

I was a Sega mark in the 80s/90s and I never have liked the Sonic games.

Svejk

I've come to realize too, I only really liked Sanic as a kid... Past couple times I tried to replay them, and tried Mania too, they just lose my interest pretty quickly now.  Still love the colorful Sega vibe and jamming tunes, but the gameplay is just something of the past. 

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Ill disagree the gameplay in mania is great
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
I still like to go back and play Sonic 1 and Mania.  That's it.
ど助平

Svejk

Sonic 2 will always be my jam though... I can't even count how much I played that game religiously. #Sonic2sDay4Life

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
3 is still my fave Sonic. Mania was good but the last level with the rotating spheres was a total chore to get through, and a few of the boss fights were shitty (the Oil Ocean boss in particular where it was so easy to get crushed by the falling blocks).
^_^

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
The OG is meh but 2, 3&K and Mania are excellent. My favorite 2D platformers for sure.

There is one shitty classic sonic though, and that's Sonic CD. GOAT intro but the game itself fucking sucks.

I love the US soundtrack (Spencer Nilsen :bow2) but those level designs are just so damn sloppy and feel completely thrown together. Definitely the weakest entry in classic Sonic.
^_^

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Tonight I uninstalled Project Lunar and tried out the newest Hakchi CE, which has Genesis Mini support.

I think I would recommend that over Lunar. If you are familiar with Hakchi from the NES/SNES the UI should feel familiar. It also does some things better than Lunar (Folders, Save State compression, better use of Retroarch). It also does not throw in annoying "games" that are just symlinks to different things, so you can actually have "only games" staring you in the face.

The only real drawback is that it doesn't have a good "scraper" for getting spine/boxart - Lunar does this perfectly. But I am sure Hakchi will be updated for this as well. For now you have to add your own / use the built in search.

https://github.com/TeamShinkansen/Hakchi2-CE/releases
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Svejk

No Lunars or Snatcher?  :trash

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
No Lunars or Snatcher?  :trash

Maybe?  It will have 50 games.

:idont
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Sega of America will release it with Sonic 1-3 again and 47 copies of Sewer Shark.
©@©™

Svejk

Sega of America will release it with Sonic 1-3 again and 47 copies of Sewer Shark.
And both the Sega CD and 32X versions Corpse Killer.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Curious if the new model has improved emulation. Would be great and almost worth price of import for that.
fat

Svejk

Or actual 6 button controllers.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Or actual 6 button controllers.

From the website

Controller looks like shit quality -- those garbage clones at department stores lol
fat

Svejk

Been meaning to ask .. Used Lunar to add a few extra games on there.  Only about 60 games on there total taking up roughly 75% of the storage, iirc, so I'm not maxing it out.  But when playing on there, there's definitely some noticable lag/delay.  Is it the crap controllers? Or is it the mini itself just processing slowly?  It's rather shitty and frustrating actually.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Project Lunar is booty and never going to be updated. I would use Hakchi instead. Dont think either will help with any lag you may be feeling
fat

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
Megadrive Mini 2 Games List
« Reply #319 on: August 19, 2022, 01:16:29 PM »
JP:
    Cartridge
    • After Burner 2
    • Alien Soldier
    • Bonanza Bros
    • Chelnov
    • Columns 3
    • Crusader of Centy
    • Devi to Pi
    • Fatal Fury 2
    • Fantasy Zone
    • Gain Ground
    • Granada
    • Harimanada
    • Honou no Toukyuuji: Dodge Danpei
    • Magical Taruruto-kun
    • Majandojo
    • Megapanel
    • Midnight Resistance
    • Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
    • Out Run
    • Party Quiz Mega Q 2022
    • Party Quiz Sega Q
    • Phantasy Star II
    • Populous
    • Puyo Puyo Sun
    • Puzzle & Action Ichidant-R
    • Ranger X
    • Shining in the Darkness
    • Sorcerian
    • Space Harrier 2 (updated version)
    • Spatter
    • Splatterhouse 2
    • Star Cruiser
    • Star Mobile
    • Super Locomotive
    • Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers
    • Tatsujin
    • Thunder Force IV
    • Tougi Ou: King Colossus
    • Viewpoint
    • Virtua Racing
    Mega CD
    • Captain Tsubasa
    • Ecco the Dolphin CD
    • Final Fight CD
    • Lunar: Eternal Blue
    • Lunar: The Silver Star
    • Mahou no Shoujo: Silky Lip
    • Mansion of Hidden Souls
    • Night Striker
    • Night Trap
    • The Ninja Warriors
    • Popful Mail
    • Robo Aleste
    • Romance of the Three Kingdoms III
    • Shin Megami Tensei
    • Shining Force CD
    • Silpheed
    • Sonic CD
    • StarBlade
    • Tenka Fubu: Eiyutachi no Houkou
    • Wondermega Collection

EU / US:
      Cartridge
      • After Burner 2
      • Alien Soldier
      • Atomic Runner
      • Bonanza Bros
      • ClayFighter
      • Crusader of Centy
      • Desert Strike
      • Devi & Pii (unreleased)
      • Earthworm Jim 2
      • Elemental Master
      • Fantasy Zone (new port)
      • Fatal Fury 2
      • Gain Ground
      • Golden Axe II
      • Granada
      • Hellfire
      • Herzog Zwei
      • Lightning Force / Thunder Force IV
      • Midnight Resistance
      • The Ooze
      • Out Run
      • Out Runners
      • Phantasy Star II
      • Populous
      • Puyo Puyo Sun (new port)
      • Rainbow Islands Extra
      • Ranger X
      • The Revenge of Shinobi
      • Ristar
      • Rolling Thunder 2
      • Shadow Dancer 2
      • Shining Force II
      • Shining in the Darkness
      • Sonic 3D Blast
      • Space Harrier II (new port)
      • Spatter (unreleased)
      • Splatterhouse 2
      • Star Mobile (new port)
      • Streets of Rage 3
      • Super Hang On
      • Super Locomotive (new port)
      • Super Street Fighter II
      • ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
      • Truxxton
      • Vectorman 2
      • Viewpoint
      • Virtua Racing
      • Warsong
      Mega CD
      • Ecco the Dolphin CD
      • Ecco: The Tides of Time CD
      • Final Fight CD
      • Mansion of Hidden Souls
      • Night Striker
      • Night Trap
      • The Ninja Warriors
      • Robo Aleste
      • Sewer Shark
      • Shining Force CD
      • Silpheed
      • Sonic CD

:obama

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
      • Global Moderator
      Re: Genesis/Mega Drive Mini 1 and 2
      « Reply #320 on: August 19, 2022, 02:50:39 PM »
      There's some good stuff on there.  Japan got a way better CD selection.  :cry
      ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #321 on: August 19, 2022, 03:16:17 PM »
      Can’t remember if on the first one you could switch the region and get their exclusive games?

Svejk

« Reply #322 on: August 19, 2022, 06:53:01 PM »
      I assume the Sega CD versions of Sanic and Ecco will have the Spencer Neilson scores?  They may have been criticized back in the day, but I loved them.  Those 2 and Batman Returns were great.

But yeah, how bout that Snatch(er)? Or Terminator with Talarico's awesome score?
      Surprised they allow Night Trap on there.

What's the deal on the "updated Space Harrier 2"?

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
      « Reply #323 on: August 19, 2022, 08:02:43 PM »
      Night Trap is hilariously tame 30 years later.

demi

• cooler than willco
      • Administrator
      « Reply #324 on: August 19, 2022, 09:02:34 PM »
      I think the emulator is improved, some of the games on this machine didn't work at all on the first mini's emulator. Fingers crossed Hyperstone Heist works now!
      fat

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
      « Reply #325 on: August 20, 2022, 05:48:49 AM »
      Apparently they're only shipping about 10% of what they shipped for the Megadrive 1 Mini, so these are going to be harder to get hold of.

EU don't even have preorders open yet, so we're inevitably gonna be 'second chance backup' for scalpers and people who missed out from other regions  :maf

Can’t remember if on the first one you could switch the region and get their exclusive games?

None of these retro mini consoles (officially) offer a full suite of all regions ROMs to switch between.
      The fact this includes all available regions for every included ROM, so switching language switches region is pretty cool though.
      I haven't heard anything about PAL versions being in the EU console, thank fuck.

What's the deal on the "updated Space Harrier 2"?

M2 seem to have gone above and beyond on this one in terms of 'rarities' to the point they've created actual new ports of stuff - Puyo Puyo Sun is a multiplayer only demake of the PSX / Saturn game for example

Bebpo

« Reply #326 on: August 20, 2022, 07:19:14 AM »
      I think the JP list is a good deal better but as I started looking into the method of obtaining that version instead of the US/Eu version I realized I'm never going to actually sit down and play through any of these games in mini-consoles so why bother. I'll get the US version and tinker around with some games for a bit and call it a day.

I do gotta say that the US/Eu version missing Popful Mail and Lunar 1/2 all because Vic Ireland wanted more money for this little release is pretty crap. What a dickhead. These releases are about game preservation, not about the devs of these old ass games or even Sega making $$$$ and getting rich. If those were on the US version and if SMT1 Sega CD got a localization and was on the US version, the US version would be pretty comparable.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
      • Global Moderator
      « Reply #327 on: August 20, 2022, 10:20:45 AM »
      I think there are "Unworked Design" romhacks for these games that remove the shitty changes Working Designs made out there.  So OK Vic, now instead of getting some money for these old games, you'll get no money and people will just hack the Mini 2 and throw them -or better versions- on there anyway.
      ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
      « Reply #328 on: August 20, 2022, 07:04:18 PM »
      I think there are "Unworked Design" romhacks for these games that remove the shitty changes Working Designs made out there.  So OK Vic, now instead of getting some money for these old games, you'll get no money and people will just hack the Mini 2 and throw them -or better versions- on there anyway.
      Here:
      http://stargood.org/unworked/index.php

Or you can go straight to cdromance and download the patched roms. :shh

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
      « Reply #329 on: August 22, 2022, 07:05:20 AM »
      Ooh, time to find me a Sega CD emulator. 8)
      Hi

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
      Those "go-around orbs" in the final level of Mania can fuck off into the sun. (I did beat it, though.)

At some point I realized I don't like my platformers to have momentum physics.

I mean, Mario is also a momentum-based platformer, but the lack of run button for precise control has a knock-on effect to Sonic's design that paired with "gotta go fast (but only sometimes)" makes the series... unpalatable to me as a platformer fan. Starting out from a dead stop in Sonic ALWAYS feels bad (to me), and that's why they had to add the Spin Dash, but that's kind of a hammer-for-a-screw "fix."

Combine trying to jump a series of vertical moving platforms (which involves turning, walking, and jumping all from dead stops) with the whole "you die if you intersect even 1 pixel in between platforms" issue, and actual platforming in Sonic is kind of a nightmare. Then try to do all that underwater with a ticking clock.

Mario doesn't kill you if you intersect moving platforms (to my knowledge), and it doesn't have a ticking clock underwater. These are both improvements on Sonic's design, and no amount of "well git gud" will change my mind on that.

Just used to what I'm used to I suppose.

Yeah, this is why I don't really like platforming in sonic games.

i haven't played mania, but sonic team have never made a good game  8)

even as a sega kid i knew sonic sucked
      ◕‿◕

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
      • Global Moderator
      « Reply #331 on: October 31, 2022, 11:58:48 AM »
      Mini 2 just came in- the box is the smallest one of these mini consoles yet!
      ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #332 on: October 31, 2022, 01:57:50 PM »
      Yeah, I'm getting it too today. Dunno why lol. It's basically just the same as the first mini with some different games.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #333 on: November 01, 2022, 07:08:24 PM »
      I didn't realize how right you were until I picked it up, Bork.  The entire packaging is about half the size of an xbox series s and a bit fatter.  The console itself is tiny!

Bebpo

« Reply #334 on: November 02, 2022, 12:49:10 AM »
      So I plugged in the Mini 2 and messed around with stuff for an hour...

...and I don't think I had fun with a single game here. This thing just feels kind of pointless since the first mini had most of the hits like Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hardcorps, Sonic 2, etc.. and the rest you could load onto it or you could play one of the various Sega collections on Switch/Steam whatever which has the other ones and even better quality of life stuff like fast forward/rewind.

The SegaCD games were the main attraction but all the US ones kind of suck?
      I probably should've gone for the JP version of the Mini 2 at least for some of the rare weird Japan stuff since I can read the Japanese.

I feel like out of all the minis the TG16 and SNES games held up the best whereas NES/Genesis stuff is pretty hard to play these days. I'd love to have a Neo-Geo mini since I feel like those would hold up but all the reviews of the various Neo Geo minis have been pretty negative so I never grabbed one.

Doubt I'll turn this thing on again and it wasn't exactly cheap. Was like $117 or something after tax/shipping. Not really worth it for my tastes. I'm fine with emulators or software collections even if the emulation isn't 100% perfect for old stuff.

Bebpo

« Reply #335 on: November 02, 2022, 12:51:41 AM »
      Also I kind of feel like these games look better on a small screen. I prefer playing them on an emulator on my PC in a window or on the Switch vs my 65" OLED. It just looks too fucking big and everything looks pretty awful and the text is all HUGE.

paprikastaude

« Reply #336 on: November 02, 2022, 05:10:37 AM »
      I might have bought it for all the things on the JP version, but Western really is lacking. Shadow Dancer is the only game I was personally missing on Megadrive1 and that one's on every other collection anyway. Should've gone straight to Saturn.

archnemesis

« Reply #337 on: November 02, 2022, 05:22:04 AM »
      It's not available in Sweden. I considered importing it from the UK, but since they left the EU that has become a pricey solution. And I have the same experience with mini consoles as Bebpo mentioned above, I barely use them.

I'm better off playing old games on the Switch or through an emulator.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
      • Global Moderator
      « Reply #338 on: November 02, 2022, 07:40:10 AM »
      ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
      • Administrator
      « Reply #339 on: November 02, 2022, 10:50:08 AM »
      This thing has some decent specs apparently (512 ram vs 256 on mini 1). It might be decent once opened. Can't wait to play Jurassic Park Sega CD

I personally think Mini 1 has better lineup, this feels like scraps lol
      fat

Bebpo

« Reply #340 on: November 02, 2022, 10:57:21 AM »
      This thing has some decent specs apparently (512 ram vs 256 on mini 1). It might be decent once opened. Can't wait to play Jurassic Park Sega CD

I personally think Mini 1 has better lineup, this feels like scraps lol

Yeah, I switched over to the Mini 1 after playing Mini 2 and the lineup appealed a lot more to me. Lot of the older games that still hold up and are still fun are on Mini 1.

Could Mini 1 hacked not play SegaCD games? I've never looked into SegaCD emulation.

Bebpo

« Reply #341 on: November 02, 2022, 11:00:58 AM »
      I know M2 says the hardware tech isn't there for a Saturn Mini, but man that would be the first mini-console I would play the shit out of. Saturn library has some really great stuff, especially on the 2d end.

PS1 mini should've been the best of them all, since the PS1 lineup is massive and full of great games that still hold up, but Sony fucked that one up.

*edit* So out of curiosity, I looked up to see if they ever fixed this through hacks and I see that they did and apparently it's a great PS1 box now (along with being able to emulate some other older stuff like PSP/GBA).

It's the only mini system I never bought besides the Neo-Geo cabinet ones. Think I'll finally pick this up and hack it and mess around with it. I have a huge collection of physical PS1/Saturn games and beyond (I started hardcore game collecting in that era), but no working hardware to play these things on.

Except PS2. My PS2 slim still works great! I mean maybe my Saturn still works, dunno haven't tried it but I assume the battery is at least dead. My PS1 died decades ago and I didn't care since I'd use PS2 BC.
      « Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 12:31:23 PM by Bebpo »

demi

• cooler than willco
      • Administrator
      « Reply #342 on: November 02, 2022, 12:58:11 PM »
      You can play anything with Retroarch on these devices. I prefer to see what the official emulator can do, plus Retroarch is added bloat and space. You couldn't run Sega CD on the Mini 1 "officially"
      fat

Bebpo

« Reply #343 on: November 02, 2022, 01:08:19 PM »
      You can play anything with Retroarch on these devices. I prefer to see what the official emulator can do, plus Retroarch is added bloat and space. You couldn't run Sega CD on the Mini 1 "officially"

Makes sense.

So I'm guessing the PS1 official emulator in the classic sucks and the hacks are just running Retroarch so the only real benefit of using the PS1 Classic over any other box is just the look of it and PS1 controller (which isn't even the good PS1 controller with the dual shock).

In the end while I can run any of these older emulators on my PC or portable on my Steam Deck (I should look into how to do that one), I don't have a dedicated TV-hook-up emulator device, so I guess I can use the PS1 classic hacked for that purpose. Though mainly I just want a standalone box to mess around with old PS1 games out of curiosity like the rest of these minis.

The last time I played as PS1 game on original hardware (well PS2 BC) was...MGS1 replay before MGS4 came out.

demi

• cooler than willco
      • Administrator
      « Reply #344 on: November 02, 2022, 01:18:15 PM »
      The PS1 mini emulator is a fork of PCSX retroarch which "works" but yeah you basically run Retroarch anyway (one that runs better)

NES Classic -> great, some audio lag for those who can tell

SNES Classic -> great, actually runs better than Retroarch in many cases of input latency

Genesis Mini -> some audio issues, runs well though

TG-Mini -> not hacked unfortunately

PS Mini -> its just retroarch so doesnt really matter regardless

Mini 2 -> not hacked yet, has potential to be better to run games on than Mini 1
      fat

Bebpo

« Reply #345 on: November 02, 2022, 01:24:32 PM »
      Any reason why the TG-Mini never got hacked? Just no interest?

I'm not picky enough to notice the audio lag thankfully so these all seem to run fine to me.

demi

• cooler than willco
      • Administrator
      « Reply #346 on: November 02, 2022, 01:27:51 PM »
      Apparently it's really fickle and easy to brick, idk. There was people working on it but it just stopped. There's been no interest really since then. Big shame, it was the only reason I got one LUL
      fat

Bebpo

« Reply #347 on: November 02, 2022, 01:30:27 PM »
      Apparently it's really fickle and easy to brick, idk. There was people working on it but it just stopped. There's been no interest really since then. Big shame, it was the only reason I got one LUL

At least the stock lineup is pretty great though.

demi

• cooler than willco
      • Administrator
      « Reply #348 on: November 02, 2022, 01:32:38 PM »
      The Game Gear Micro eventually got CFW, so I'm sure someone will figure something out
      fat

Tuckers Law

« Reply #349 on: November 02, 2022, 06:01:46 PM »
      I hope this gets a CFW unlock as easy to use as Autobleem on the PS1 classic.  I’d already made my peace with the mini 2 being mostly useless plastic junk taking up some space, but it would great if I could make that slightly less useless.

demi

• cooler than willco
      • Administrator
      « Reply #350 on: November 02, 2022, 10:22:07 PM »
      Hakchi is just as painless and easy for other Minis
      fat

Bebpo

« Reply #351 on: November 05, 2022, 04:01:38 PM »
      I got the PS1 mini in and holy shit, unmodded this really is total crap emulation.

The 2d looks incredibly blurry, like running the bad CRT filter on the Genesis mini. Audio levels are all over the place (Mr. Driller is fucking loud), Toshinden is the ...European version?, the only way to access the menu is on the hardware, no way to access it from the controller. Zero emulation settings options, 1 save state that I don't think you can actually save? It's just like a temp spot from where you quit?

Yeah, wow this is bad. I can see why it bombed and it makes me appreciate these other mini consoles more and the small features in them to make them more playable.

Will hack it later, hopefully that will improve it a lot even just for base emulation/interface for these same titles.

demi

• cooler than willco
      • Administrator
      « Reply #352 on: November 05, 2022, 04:27:51 PM »
      Look up "Autobleem" it's pretty painless. You may also need to look into a Y splitter, due to how the ports work, it lets you power the hack as well as use a USB stick at the same time.

I use this:

usb splitter
      usb stick
      fat

Bebpo

« Reply #353 on: November 05, 2022, 05:25:01 PM »
      I'm looking at a recent guide and they're recommending project Eris over Autobleem?

demi

• cooler than willco
      • Administrator
      « Reply #354 on: November 05, 2022, 05:32:15 PM »
      Eris installs crud on your device, and is not updated/maintained anymore. Autobleem does it all right off the stick. No stick = stock device
      fat

Bebpo

« Reply #355 on: November 05, 2022, 05:34:00 PM »
      Eris installs crud on your device, and is not updated/maintained anymore. Autobleem does it all right off the stick. No stick = stock device

Ok, Autobleem sounds better.

Bebpo

« Reply #356 on: November 05, 2022, 05:56:08 PM »
      So mine is running really slow and backing up the kernel is currently taking 15+ mins to zip up a file and on the tutorials it's like 20 seconds. I wonder if it's because I'm not using a powered USB adapter and the USB stick is running too slow. It seemed like if your USB stick doesn't work in low profile power mode that it shouldn't work at all, but mine works but it sorta doesn't run right.

Might need to get a splitter or power adapter thing first before trying this. Not sure if any of my USB sticks will work.

demi

• cooler than willco
      • Administrator
      « Reply #357 on: November 05, 2022, 05:59:06 PM »
      The front usb ports are slow, its by design on the PS Mini. Thats why you use the splitter on the back port, it lets you use full power. The Cruzer Blade is because specific sticks don't work well, it's weird. I did my research, thats why I picked those two parts.
      fat

Bebpo

« Reply #358 on: November 05, 2022, 06:12:24 PM »
      The front usb ports are slow, its by design on the PS Mini. Thats why you use the splitter on the back port, it lets you use full power. The Cruzer Blade is because specific sticks don't work well, it's weird. I did my research, thats why I picked those two parts.

Yeah, I've got 2 USB sticks, 1 is too new and doesn't work without a powered hub and 1 is old and works but it keeps freezing in autobleem and I ain't gonna flash the kernel with a stick that keeps freezing and crashing the system.

Will grab a powered adapter and use my newer good USB stick with it and do the kernel backup/flash for OTG port enabling. I grabbed the splitter you suggested for after that.

Bebpo

« Reply #359 on: November 05, 2022, 06:22:31 PM »
      I don't really understand how the USB hub fixes the power issue?

Like if there's not enough power coming out of the 2nd player port to power a modern USB stick, how is there going to be enough power coming out of the 2nd player port to power the entire USB hub that has the modern USB stick attached?