Author Topic: Soulsborne games thread - Demon's Souls PS5  (Read 82737 times)

Himu

Soulsborne games thread - Demon's Souls PS5
« on: April 24, 2019, 01:01:56 AM »
My relationship with Souls:

1. I was an early adopter of Demon's Souls. I got it the week or so of release. At the time I was an Atlus head and would buy anything Atlus USA put out. My friend also imported it. It had a lot of buzz surrounding the import version so when it dropped in the US I had to get in. I loved that game for its tone, story, level design, structure, and it was really, really fresh at the time.

2. A few years later Dark Souls comes out. People say it's open-world compared to Demon's more Mega Man style structure where you picked levels at will. I really, really tried but I could never get into Dark Souls. My steam clock on it says I've played it for over 40 hours. I've started maybe three different runs. I got a little past Capra Demon as my furthest.

This was disappointing because:

A. I love dungeon crawlers.
B. I love hard games.
C. I love defense oriented combat.
D. I loved Demon's Souls and many other From games.

I've really tried with that game and I'm convinced I've always done it wrong.

Criticisms being:

putting a save point ten minutes away from the boss room after dying from a boss and having to trek ten minutes to get there isn’t difficulty. I’m fine with retrieving my souls (or corpse) as I have played many games where I do just that. But I can’t stand the tedium of Souls 1 of dying at a boss and traveling all that way just to refight them.

My issue is that the enemies on the way are easy and going through doing the same shit just to get to the boss is tedious as fuck.

Where were y'all a few years ago? I made this same complaint about DS1 and people told me,"just don't die hurrr". I beat the goat boss and I just never really continued after that.

I haven't played a Souls game since. I love hard games. I love rogue likes. But fuck that.

3. I ended up getting Sekiro despite being From because I thought it'd be another Dark Souls disappointment. I was wrong. I love this game so fucking much I'm willing to give Dark Souls another chance. Sekiro fixed all of my issues with Dark Souls 1. Apparently since Souls 1 From realized that making players travel ten minutes to refight a boss isn't difficulty - it's tedium - and that DS2/3/BB are better designed in that regard.

Still I want to beat DkS1 before moving on to the rest.

Bestow me with tips and suggestions to enjoy it more.

Apparently I should get a Master Key at game start? Where can I or should I go once I get to Firelink Shrine? How can I enjoy the game more?

Doc said this in the Sekiro thread:

The only thing you "have" to do, is obtain the lord's vessel to open up the final three areas., and you have to beat Sen's fortress before getting to Anor Londo.
Almost anything else if fair game.
Catacombs, Burg, Blighttown, Depths, New Londo Ruins, Ash Lake, Great Hollow, etc.

Where to start? What class?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 01:27:01 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

Re: Cindi plays Soulsborne series. Please help Cindi enjoy these games.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 01:19:42 AM »
Oh and the hollow mechanic. It's so fucking dumb I need humanity in order to summon. It's so dumb and tedious.

"We want you to summon to beat this boss but we'll make it hard for you to be able to summon"

???

IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 01:20:18 AM »
How the heck did you play 46 hours and only get to and past the Capra Demon? That's like the first 6 hours of the game.

My recommendation would be to roll a fast melee build and give it a try and if you start not feeling it, use a guide until you're feeling it again. It might just be a few sections/bosses that are burning you out and you need to get to the point where it clicks.

I like the Katana but it will make the game kinda easy in the 2nd half because it's broken OP

Also Dark Souls 1 has the best story of the 3 souls games (and better than Demon Souls story imo), so try to get into the lore, which means reading the fextralife wiki it's real good. I'd recommend what I do, which is after you kill bosses to read up on them and their lore:
https://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Dark+Souls+Wiki

Oh and the hollow mechanic. It's so fucking dumb I need humanity in order to summon. It's so dumb and tedious.

"We want you to summon to beat this boss but we'll make it hard for you to be able to summon"

???

I can't remember ever needing to summon in Dark Souls 1-3, maybe I did just to try it once or twice, but Bloodborne is where summoning is way more useful. I never used my humanity drops and you get a ton. You can play fine in Hollow state. I mean you have more HP than Sekiro lol

Himu

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 01:21:58 AM »
I don't know. I also do have a tendency to leave pc games on so my clock on them can be inflated but still, idk :idont
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 01:24:04 AM »
How the heck did you play 46 hours and only get to and past the Capra Demon? That's like the first 6 hours of the game.

My recommendation would be to roll a fast melee build and give it a try and if you start not feeling it, use a guide until you're feeling it again. It might just be a few sections/bosses that are burning you out and you need to get to the point where it clicks.

I like the Katana but it will make the game kinda easy in the 2nd half because it's broken OP

Also Dark Souls 1 has the best story of the 3 souls games (and better than Demon Souls story imo), so try to get into the lore, which means reading the fextralife wiki it's real good. I'd recommend what I do, which is after you kill bosses to read up on them and their lore:
https://darksouls.wiki.fextralife.com/Dark+Souls+Wiki

???

I can't remember ever needing to summon in Dark Souls 1-3, maybe I did just to try it once or twice, but Bloodborne is where summoning is way more useful. I never used my humanity drops and you get a ton. You can play fine in Hollow state. I mean you have more HP than Sekiro lol

The story and lore are something I love. I love that organic Miyazaki storytelling. Very reminiscent of Japanese games of old in the minimalist tradition (Silent Hill series, Shadow of the Colossus;etc)
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 01:24:09 AM »
Dark Souls 1-3 are all really fun to explore. Just explore around and find cool stuff and paths like you do in Sekiro. Don't worry so much about your build/leveling until you reach Anor Londo which is where the 2nd half starts. By that point you'll want to tune your build.

Oh and don't wear armor past like 25% of your weight so you get maximum roll i-frames and agility. I've never enjoyed playing any of the souls games at heavier weights.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 01:59:04 AM »
I agree that fast dex builds are more fun but I support anyone who wants to play however they want  :itagaki

mmmm, dark souls... I think I put 200 hours into DS1. I could probably do a no-hit run if I tried it. ...maybe I should try it.

Personally I think if you don't like Dark Souls then don't try to force yourself just because you liked Sekiro. The combat is completely different, for one. Maybe play Bloodborne, actually, since it's genetically closer to what Sekiro is.
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2019, 02:06:42 AM »
I like Demon’s so it’s not like the combat is foreign to me.
IYKYK

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2019, 02:08:38 AM »
wear low weight armor, dodge roll alot, and get the claymore and go dex/str

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2019, 02:33:02 AM »
Start with Bloodborne. It's a lot closer to Sekiro in terms of gameplay, and the setting and story are awesome.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2019, 07:11:07 AM »
Dex builds...

:donot

Just go Miracle/Magic. It's busted in Dark Souls 1. Then go pure Melee in 2 or 3 because they nerfed the shit out of both in those.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 12:00:45 PM »
You mean run back to the boss room evading all enemies skillfullu by holding circle?
What

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 05:36:50 PM »
Im also trying to get into this on the Switch now after it didnt click on ps3 and pc. Loved Bloodborne and Demon Souls.

Whats the most op bebe friendly build?

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2019, 06:06:48 PM »
if you put 40 hours into it already you're almost certainly not going to change your mind now

Bebpo

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2019, 06:24:02 PM »
Im also trying to get into this on the Switch now after it didnt click on ps3 and pc. Loved Bloodborne and Demon Souls.

DEX build, low agility weight, roll dodge and stab stab
Bleed Katana is broken because of how bleed damage builds up in DS1. Not very effective in 2/3 though.

Himu

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2019, 06:55:59 PM »
if you put 40 hours into it already you're almost certainly not going to change your mind now

Eh. Not true. I’ve given games multiple chances before. Sometimes first impressions aren’t good. Sometimes after years away I gain a appareciation of them even if I don’t like them. Sometimes they become some of my favorite games. I hated Shenmue the first few hours I played of it. But something kept pulling me to keep playing. I got used to its idiosyncrasies and by the end of it, I loved it so much I started a new game immediately after completion and imported II. Both went on to become my favorite games. I’m very, very open-minded contrary to popular opinion.

In the case of Dark Souls, I don’t even think it’s a bad game. It’s actually well designed but it didn’t click like Demon’s.

Plus, I already own it, unlike 2/3/BB.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2019, 06:59:46 PM »
Also the whole thing of “play and watch things you like” results in someone unable to critique or knows what’s good. Staying in your comfort zone sounds like a boring and limited way to live life.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2019, 06:59:51 PM »

Pyro build used to be the beginner friendly back in the day, not sure if there are better ones now.

Bebpo

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2019, 07:01:44 PM »
Actually I thought about this because Lager is coming from Sekiro & Bloodborne and I'm changing my stance on DS1-3.

If you start with Sekiro, play Bloodborne next
If you've beaten only Sekiro and Bloodborne, start with Dark Souls 3

Yeah you miss some of the neat lore connections where you go aha! That's from DS1's lore!, but it's not a huge loss and the stories/lore are still fairly separate per game. The thing is that DS3 came out after Bloodborne and borrows a lot from Bloodborne and so it plays a midway between Dark Souls and an arpg like Bloodborne. It's fast and more action packed and the graphics look great like Bloodborne/Sekiro. It'll be much easier to get into from Bloodborne.

And then when you've beaten DS3, it will have given you a good feel for Dark Souls gameplay and you'll be able to transition into DS1 -> DS2 pretty smoothly. It'll go back to being simple gfx, sometimes kinda ugly, and slower, more broken combat, but I played DS1 for the first time only a few years back after Bloodborne and it still holds up excellent due to the great level design, exploration and story lore.

But yeah, Cindi I think you should play Bloodborne next or DS3 if you can't get into Bloodborne for some reason. And Lager, start with DS3.

Himu

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2019, 07:02:51 PM »
BB better be cheap then.
IYKYK

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2019, 07:03:50 PM »
eh, i think cindi might really enjoy this now. if that time spent is even somewhat correct though, i can understand the frustration  :'(

im prob not au fait with what the updated great early game strats are, but my scrub tech for crushing the early game was generally just get drake sword, proceed to smash https://www.wikihow.com/Get-the-Drake-Sword-in-Dark-Souls

my first deso run was int/dex, ever since ive mostly played pure str or faith or a combo and as much as i try other weapons i always come back to the zweihander and claymore (generally stick with claymore because it has relatively low reqs, is one of the best pve and pvp weapons, is easy to use, can always get it early)
◕‿◕

Bebpo

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2019, 07:04:43 PM »
I think BB goes on sale pretty regularly. If you can get the version with the expansion pack Old Hunters on a sale it'll be totally worth it. Very excellent expansion.

BB has a lot of fights that play out similarly to Sekiro fights. It's still pretty different but Bloodborne is big on parrying & countering just you use a gun to parry instead of a sword. One of the first boss fights Fathers Gasgone is straight up a Sekiro style fight.

Himu

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2019, 07:06:35 PM »
Also this “play/watch what you like” is some preposterous shit. How does anyone develop taste by staying in their comfort zone? The reason my taste is so damn good is because I’ve fought hard to be eclectic as possible. At one point in time I liked every game genre and probably had the most diverse game taste on this site besides Demi. The only reason I can’t stand modern games is their hand holding, waypoints, and endless tutorials.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2019, 07:12:06 PM »
I agree with you 100% Cindi

I've gotten into a lot of great games that when I tried to initially I wasn't feeling them and they were my genre of games. A great example is Monster Hunter. I swear I tried playing that series like 3-4 times from PS2/PSP/Wii/3DS and every time I got like 2-3 hours in and was bored out of my mind fighting non-boss enemies on quests and wondering what the big deal was with the series.

Then I gave it a really shot and like a half year later I was in endgame MHW and G2 rank in XX and I'll be day 1 for every expansion and new game in the series at this point on.

I never liked Smash much before and owned/played multiple versions, but I'm really enjoying the Switch one and getting into it.

Next series I need to do that with is probably Civ, I played Civ II as a little kid at my grandfather's house because he played it. But I only played a few hours occasionally when we visited. I tried Civ 4/5 when they were cheap sales but got bored after like an hour of each. So many of my friends with good taste love Civilization and play for hundreds of hours so I just got reach the point where it clicks for me eventually.

Bebpo

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2019, 08:30:05 PM »
Also the whole thing of “play and watch things you like” results in someone unable to critique or knows what’s good. Staying in your comfort zone sounds like a boring and limited way to live life.

:what

You've played 40 hours and didn't like it. Yet you're going to play it again and hope other people can convince you that you actually like it this time. This is the same thing as you starting a thread about doing a MCU marathon and asking for help enjoying it. It's not like taking a chance on something you haven't played or don't know if you'll enjoy or not. You know you didn't enjoy playing these games already. Yet you're going to do it again and then get frustrated and mad.

To be fair Cindi says she was only past Capra Demon. Which is really really early on. So maybe if she gets past that and gets a little further in she'll enjoy it? So I played DS1 when it came out myself, and Capra Demon was a pain, and I finally got past him and lost interest and dropped the game for like SIX YEARS and gave it another shot after Bloodborne and now it's tied for my favorite soulsborne game with Bloodborne.

Himu

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 08:37:11 PM »

:what

You've played 40 hours and didn't like it. Yet you're going to play it again and hope other people can convince you that you actually like it this time. This is the same thing as you starting a thread about doing a MCU marathon and asking for help enjoying it. It's not like taking a chance on something you haven't played or don't know if you'll enjoy or not. You know you didn't enjoy playing these games already. Yet you're going to do it again and then get frustrated and mad.

To be fair Cindi says she was only past Capra Demon. Which is really really early on. So maybe if she gets past that and gets a little further in she'll enjoy it? So I played DS1 when it came out myself, and Capra Demon was a pain, and I finally got past him and lost interest and dropped the game for like SIX YEARS and gave it another shot after Bloodborne and now it's tied for my favorite soulsborne game with Bloodborne.

Peoples experiences with media is fluid?

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 08:59:22 PM »
The curious thing is they say “you gave it a chance you didn’t like it don’t play what you don’t like, you like Sekiro and that’s fine” but I bought Sekiro on a risk knowing I didn’t like Dark Souls and I love that game.

Argument doesn’t stand on its own.
IYKYK

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2019, 10:10:35 PM »
Well, being fair: Sekiro isn't -Souls.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2019, 10:42:37 PM »
Expected this thread to take much longer to devolve into multipost arguments about nothing
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 10:54:13 PM by curly »

Bebpo

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2019, 11:40:34 PM »
Well, being fair: Sekiro isn't -Souls.

I dunno, I'm somewhat far and it feels like Souls to me. It's a little further in the action, less in the rpg direction than Bloodborne went (which is also souls) but otherwise this just feels like Bloodborne/Dark Souls. Same kind of exploring inter-connected world and collecting loot between rest points, same HP drink mechanic, the shortcuts and secrets are similar, lore and story-telling too, combat is a further evolved version of Bloodborne combat with the gun parries, counters and fast dodges.

I mean it's not exactly the same, but neither was Bloodborne. The only thing Sekiro is missing from Dark Souls/Bloodborne is actually XP levels that you grind to get stronger. But instead Sekiro still has XP and you do get stronger as you buy skills (like ones that increase/reduce posture damage) and the prosthetic upgrades are similar to the weapon tree upgrades. Oh and it's also missing picking up your dead body souls, but instead you're able to bank xp levels and you only lose 50% and with unseen aid you can reduce that so it's pretty similar just handled in a different way. There aren't different weapons sure, but prosthetic are your combat variety. Part of that last one is just how I play Souls games, I pick one weapon and stick with it the whole game so I've never cared too much about weapon variety. In Bloodborne I just used the starting short saw because it always seemed great.

Himu

« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2019, 03:43:35 PM »
Considering this.

https://www.amazon.com/Bloodborne-Game-Year-Sony-PlayStation-4/dp/B01MS1GOAX/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=bloodborne+goty+edition&qid=1556221171&s=gateway&sr=8-1

But it's European. Does that matter? Probably not anymore with PS4 being region free, but I'm curious about it. It has all dlc. But would EU dlc work on an US ps account?

And there's this complete DS3.

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-III-Fire-Fades-PlayStation/dp/B06XTJMF4B/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=dark+souls+3&qid=1556221313&s=gateway&sr=8-1

But I'm considering getting the trilogy instead. It comes with full dlc.

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-Trilogy-PlayStation-4/dp/B07FDKWPKV/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=dark+souls+collection&qid=1556221357&s=gateway&sr=8-1
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2019, 03:51:17 PM »
I gotta say.

Bloodborne looks fantastic. Great mood and environments.

:obama

Also survival horror rpg is up my alley. I'm still shocked no one made more horror rpgs with the resource management of survival horror after Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. That game was basically Resident Evil x Strategy RPG and it was glorious.

And unfortunately SMT has lightened its horror elements.

A shame.

My interest is piqued. Definitely have an interest in Bloodborne. Reminds me when more adult oriented Japanese developers could and would mix cool horror elements with their games.

I'll get BB. Now I just to settle on what version.

"kind of psychological horror I don't think we've seen since the original Silent Hill games." Jesus Jim. I'M BUYING IT ALREADY. Don't make it any worse!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 04:03:30 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2019, 04:04:33 PM »
Considering this.

https://www.amazon.com/Bloodborne-Game-Year-Sony-PlayStation-4/dp/B01MS1GOAX/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=bloodborne+goty+edition&qid=1556221171&s=gateway&sr=8-1

But it's European. Does that matter? Probably not anymore with PS4 being region free, but I'm curious about it. It has all dlc. But would EU dlc work on an US ps account?

Doesn't matter and you'd just need to make a EU account to redeem the DLC, which you can then use on your American account.  But there is a version of this game that has all the DLC already included on the disc- I have it.  It's the version that came out in Saudi Arabia (has a quote from IGN Middle East on the cover).

This guy appears to be selling this version of the game, on eBay, for $29:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bloodborne-Game-of-the-Year-Edition-PlayStation-4-PS4-Region-Free-ARPG-NEW/142241086884?hash=item211e3abda4:g:v1kAAOSwSZFZ3Tnt&frcectupt=true
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2019, 04:08:11 PM »
Hmm...this is the copy I bought, and despite the box art, the seller sent me the Middle East version:

https://www.amazon.com/Bloodborne-Game-Year-Sony-PlayStation-4/dp/B01MS1GOAX

So might still be fine to buy from Amazon.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2019, 04:11:22 PM »
I think that's the same one I linked. But the amazon link isn't working on both of our ends.

I really want to play BB after watching the Jimquisition. Jim really sold me on it.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2019, 04:14:21 PM »
Amazon being weird.

If you search for "bloodborne goty", the first result that is Amazon's choice for $23.99 + $4.57 shipping  is the one I bought last year.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2019, 04:16:00 PM »
Europe edition right? Yeah that's the one I've been linking.
IYKYK

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2019, 04:34:30 PM »
just use a guide for the best build and cheeses. its how i finished all of them - still need to play Dick Souls 3
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2019, 04:39:32 PM »
Europe edition right? Yeah that's the one I've been linking.

Says European, but is not really European- you want the Middle Eastern version.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2019, 04:40:31 PM »
what does arab version have that euro doesn't
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2019, 04:41:17 PM »
But there is a version of this game that has all the DLC already included on the disc- I have it.  It's the version that came out in Saudi Arabia (has a quote from IGN Middle East on the cover).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bloodborne-Game-of-the-Year-Edition-PlayStation-4-PS4-Region-Free-ARPG-NEW/142241086884?hash=item211e3abda4:g:v1kAAOSwSZFZ3Tnt&frcectupt=true
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2019, 04:44:20 PM »
I ask because European version advertises the same, hence GotY edition. It has The Old Hunters on it. What does the Arab version have that's missing from European?
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2019, 05:03:28 PM »
I ask because European version advertises the same, hence GotY edition. It has The Old Hunters on it. What does the Arab version have that's missing from European?

:dead

Already mentioned this above:

Euro version- DLC is a voucher code
Middle East "Euro" version- All content is on the disc
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2019, 05:08:32 PM »
The same happened with Nioh, btw.  There's a physical Asian-English version with all the DLC on the disc, but only that specific version.  You can often find physical versions of games from SEA that are digital or have DLC vouchers everywhere else.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2019, 05:10:13 PM »
Ohhh ok. Arab version it is!
IYKYK

Raist

« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2019, 05:19:59 PM »
I think that's the same one I linked. But the amazon link isn't working on both of our ends.

I really want to play BB after watching the Jimquisition. Jim really sold me on it.

I've been telling you for weeks.

:rage

Himu

« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2019, 05:45:34 PM »
Please consider you one of many people who pushed me to starting with BB.  :doge But I was worried that if I start with 3/BB that by the time I get to 1 I’ll find it slower.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2019, 05:49:37 PM »
Please consider you one of many people who pushed me to starting with BB.  :doge But I was worried that if I start with 3/BB that by the time I get to 1 I’ll find it slower.
I understand the logic of starting with BB, but honestly dark Souls 1 is so much more chill and slow than 3, i don't think it's going to be a good transition backwards.
At best i'd do BB and then DkS 1 through 3.

3 really throws you on the deep end, assuming you're already familiar with all the shit they put you through in 1 and 2, it's honestly overwhelming at times.

Himu

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2019, 05:56:29 PM »
Yeah I wasn’t sure about going backwards. But BB does look mighty scrumptious.

On the other side of the issue, I’ve been playing Sekiro and that’s very fast and more aggressive than Souls.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:01:26 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2019, 07:16:44 PM »
Have you pummeled those gargs yet?
◕‿◕

shosta

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2019, 07:23:10 PM »
I think she'd tell us if she stopped getting fucked by taurus demon
每天生气

Himu

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2019, 08:46:01 PM »
I haven’t started yet. Im ordering the trilogy from Amazon along with BB and after Sekiro I’m thinking of just doing BB then Dark Souls series in order. I want to finish what I started first and want to work my way up but BB looks too good to pass up.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 09:01:19 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Raist

« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2019, 01:40:18 AM »

:rage

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think you'll like BB  :heart

spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you hate it, blame Sterling, not me
[close]
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2019, 02:04:41 AM »
Bloodborne is great, but it has 4 glaring issues:

1) 30fps (with the feel of 15 fps, thanks to stuttering).
2) FROM's awful camera is made worse by every other boss being the size of a house, and with fur flying around, filling up your screen.
3) Muddy colors create a cool atmosphere at first, but in some later areas it's hard to read levels, and legit give me a headache, where everything looks so visually busy (Dark Souls 3 also has this issue).
4) Possibly the most obnoxious fanbase i've ever interacted with, maybe only after Zelda's.

That said, atmosphere, enemy design, costume design, weapons, level design, music... are all incredible, and it's hard not to love it despite all of that shit above.

Himu

« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2019, 02:43:17 AM »
Any suggestions going from Sekiro to Bloodborne?

Considering this.

Doesn't matter and you'd just need to make a EU account to redeem the DLC, which you can then use on your American account.  But there is a version of this game that has all the DLC already included on the disc- I have it.  It's the version that came out in Saudi Arabia (has a quote from IGN Middle East on the cover).

I bought this.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2019, 02:50:34 AM »
Posted in Sekiro thread but not sure if others who post in this thread read that one. Sekiro spoilers obviously. Do Soulsborne games have this type of side questing?

Subtle, world building shit. Like for instance, a lady tells you about fruit: one dry, one wet. And you're not sure what she's talking about. But you're interested. You go down and encounter a snake, you have to survive encounters and then you're face to face with the beast. Then you have to solve a puzzle to get past it. You go in the house it's guarding and turns out it's guarding a heart. I defeated another snake before, and it dropped a dry heart. This one was sopping wet with blood.

Then there's this.

Does Soulsborne have organic side questing/world building like this? I do recall in Dks1, there was a fat knight with a cute outfit guarding a place and there was a quest with a cursed person on the lower deck behind some bars.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2019, 03:28:57 AM »
Posted in Sekiro thread but not sure if others who post in this thread read that one. Sekiro spoilers obviously. Do Soulsborne games have this type of side questing?

Subtle, world building shit. Like for instance, a lady tells you about fruit: one dry, one wet. And you're not sure what she's talking about. But you're interested. You go down and encounter a snake, you have to survive encounters and then you're face to face with the beast. Then you have to solve a puzzle to get past it. You go in the house it's guarding and turns out it's guarding a heart. I defeated another snake before, and it dropped a dry heart. This one was sopping wet with blood.

Then there's this.

Does Soulsborne have organic side questing/world building like this? I do recall in Dks1, there was a fat knight with a cute outfit guarding a place and there was a quest with a cursed person on the lower deck behind some bars.
If you've played Demon's Souls, they're all pretty much like that, yeah.
Most of the story telling come from item descriptions and some sparse npc dialogue (much like Sekiro), there's just much less of that dialogue dump Sekiro has with Kuro/Emma, every other big boss fight, and less cutscenes.

Himu

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2019, 03:30:41 AM »
1) Everything was Castles. Castle here (Cath.), Castle there (C-hurst.), Castle everywhere (N-Mensis).
2) Very limited set of weapons. Truth be told I only used the Axe from zero to Platinum (+DLC) but still.
3) Undercooked random labyrinths (Pthumerian). They could have been much better.
4) Non-existent armor or better yet: every armor set feels the same. It's a game about not being hit after all so armor doesn't matter.

None of these things bother me.

You only have one sword in Sekiro and yet there's still plenty of options. Not sure about the random labyrinth, but again, Sekiro doesn't have armor either.

I'm all about these things:

But the atmosphere, enemy design, boss design, LORE is only second to Demon's Souls.

And damn I forgot how AWESOME Demon's Souls intro was.

And those character designs. Hnnng.

I need to replay that some time.

Then there's this.

If you've played Demon's Souls, they're all pretty much like that, yeah.
Most of the story telling come from item descriptions and some sparse npc dialogue (much like Sekiro), there's just much less of that dialogue dump Sekiro has with Kuro/Emma, every other big boss fight, and less cutscenes.

Yeah this is why I loved Demon's. I love how they express their world/lore.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:34:52 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

shosta

« Reply #59 on: April 26, 2019, 03:41:10 AM »
I feel like you'd enjoy DS1 even more than Demon Souls. It perfects everything you're talking about.
每天生气