Author Topic: Soulsborne games thread - Demon's Souls PS5  (Read 82849 times)

Bebpo

I’d say the dark souls games are more rpg with their builds and loot, I’d say Bloodborne is a bit more narrative focused and action game focused.

But yeah Sekiro is all that even more so Bloodborne basically sits halfway between Dark Souls & Sekiro.

I do agree that I wish Sekiro had the online stuff. Both for the ambient stuff like ghosts and comments and because it’s nice being able to get help. There’s one boss in Bloodborne that I couldn’t beat solo (pretty sure was optional anyhow) but playing coop I was able to beat it and I wish I could do that for some Sekiro bosses.

Also Nier Automata is definitely worth a play even if I feel it’s a little overrated and I like the first Nier game better. Haven’t gotten to God of War yet.

Himu

I tried nier automata demo and thought it sucked
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Hotline Miami is the shit....  Didn't care for the 2nd one much at all.  :-\

It was alright, but the levels werent as tight as the first one.

Himu

What’s the appeal of hotline miami
IYKYK

Bebpo

It plays like a super meat boy/Celeste 10 seconds of perfection runs at a time &  tons of painless deaths, but overhead view and stealth action gameplay. The first one is super great, yeah. Has David Lynch feel. Oh and the soundtrack is awesome.

I tried nier automata demo and thought it sucked

Full game is way better. Some neat bits, story is interesting, but bland small overworld and a lot of repetition. Give the full game a shot at some point, if you aren’t feeling it by the amusement park, bail.

Himu

I liked the first nier’s story wayyy more than its gameplay
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna

The music, the fast paced action and the on the fly decision making.

Collectible masks in the levels changing the way you get through a level.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Nier Automata had some amazing highs, but too many bland, boring moments.
Story was cool, if you can stomach that anime over dramatic philosophy, i don't think it does a lot with the characters though.

TBH it would've worked much better as a straight up linear action game (or even linear action rpg) instead of this faux open world.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
PC-based gamer here: God of War is poop.  :doge
It was poop in the Jaffe incarnation, and is even more poop now.

Oh please, ask me to carry another crystal at snail's pace for 5 miles!

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
I fell down some hole, killer frogs all around, got cursed and died

:doge

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Oh please, ask me to carry another crystal at snail's pace for 5 miles!

It's actually good game design cause they foreshadow it by making you carry the log up a road at the start of the game. /s

paprikastaude

There is a bunch of haters here (Xbox, PC based) but do not mind them.

:goldberg weak

GoW was the first game to make me scream 2-3 times solely because its shitty handholding and exposition wouldn't stop. The unintrusive sidecontent without the hamfisted narrative saved it from being bad.

great singleplayer games this gen: Bloodborne, Doom, Cuphead, Sonic Mania, Bayonetta 2, Resident Evil 7/2, Virtue's Last Reward, Astrobot, Monster Hunter World, Colossus remake, Yakuza 0,...

Himu

Handholding.

*Nam flashbacks*
IYKYK

Himu

This game is so amazing. I can’t stop gushing. Amass 10k blood echo. Far from safety. Do I keep going because I feel a shortcut incoming or do I retreat while I’m still intact? That dungeon crawl decision making. :lawd Luckily my instincts were right and I got a shortcut!

Hunters with machine guns :lawd

Slowly walking on broken ceiling pillars carefully navigating deep multi-tiered labyrinths :lawd

Massive blood splatters on the ground forcing you to question,”who or what did THAT?” :lawd

Unf!!!
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

The music, the fast paced action and the on the fly decision making.

Collectible masks in the levels changing the way you get through a level.

Amazing game.  I didn't like the sequel as much, but it's still very much worth playing.

You should definitely check out Katana Zero- it's like a side-scrolling Hotline Miami with a sword.
ど助平

Himu

This game!!!

The horror in Old Yarnham is so good!! I can’t believe it gets better!
IYKYK

Himu

Almost beat Blood Demon on first try. I had a summon though. I didn’t know the purple thing was a summon because I clicked x too fast to read it. I definitely won’t be summoning in the future.
IYKYK

Himu

Somehow, some way, Sekiro and Bloodborne have converted me to Soulsborne. Ordering Dark Souls Trilogy for PS4 when I can. Steelbox! :lawd

IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Somehow, some way, Sekiro and Bloodborne have converted me to Soulsborne. Ordering Dark Souls Trilogy for PS4 when I can. Steelbox! :lawd

What about Nioh?
ど助平

Himu

Plz no spoil
IYKYK

Himu

Tried Blood Starved Beast again. Second try and got him halfway. Very easy until his attacks inflict poison and he has that fucking combo. Might want to not want to even evade that combo. It uses so much forward space it’s hard to roll out of. Going to see if I can bait it and then punish.
IYKYK

Himu

Damn. This boss is hard as shit.

Father G and Cleric Beast are easy af. Took them out on second or third try and first try respectively. Blood Starved Beast second form is a total bitch.
IYKYK

Himu

Ah. I see. This boss is easy. :ohhh
IYKYK

Himu

Beat him.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 03:54:49 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Fuck grind 5k souls to cure curse

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog

3k from dude at the base of the first bell tower after you beat gargs. those bitch made frogs wouldn't have stood a chance at cursing your ass if you had artorias's sword :trumps  :hitler
◕‿◕

chronovore

• relapsed dev
I'll try Bloodborne once I get back to Tokyo and re-setup my PS4. I started it and played for like 40 minutes, but I was not enjoying the Dark Souls trauma feelings caused by the tissue-paper weight corpses being kicked around the scene when I moved.

Someone mentioned it's kind of mythos-inspired/lovecraftian, so I'm going to give it another go.

Svejk

Beat Vordt of Boreal last night... Baby steps. Getting back what DS2 legs I  established. Made it past the 2nd primal bonfire in it, but dropped it for reasons.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

What about Nioh?

:whatsthedeal
ど助平

Himu

I'll get to it eventually.
IYKYK

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Nioh sucks ass.

Svejk

Keep it up Svejk! DS3 is in my opinion the best Dark Souls game. Most varied, most polished, most confident. Gives you a lot in return.
Definitely have enjoyed it A LOT more than DS2 so far.

Bebpo

DS3 is objectively a lot better than DS2.

Plus it helps that it looks a lot nicer than DS1/2.

Bebpo

I'll try Bloodborne once I get back to Tokyo and re-setup my PS4. I started it and played for like 40 minutes, but I was not enjoying the Dark Souls trauma feelings caused by the tissue-paper weight corpses being kicked around the scene when I moved.

Someone mentioned it's kind of mythos-inspired/lovecraftian, so I'm going to give it another go.

I'm bummed that I don't think Bloodborne is your kinda game from a gameplay experience and you probably wouldn't like it enough to stick with it.
But from a story/atmosphere perspective I think you'd love Bloodborne. It's pretty much the best Lovecraftian game ever.

Maybe watch a video playthrough like a movie and then read the Pale Blood Hunt essay on the story?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JL5acskAT_2t062HILImBkV8eXAwaqOj611mSjK-vZ8/edit
Cindy do not read the above link until you've finished the game. VERY VERY SPOILERISH FROM THE START.

naff

I spent too much time tryna figure out how to get all the crystal lizards in the great hollow. Got stuck in a wall and cursed by da frogs  :lol

only managed to get 3 of those lizard fucks  :ltg

Almost a fun puzzle, but the lizards disappear too fast and seem to be slightly random whether they appear or not between runs?
◕‿◕

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
Ill grab some screens today Borys, I'm in Blighttown now.

naff

split damage sucks even more than i thought in ds1. tested a longsword which gave 200 AR with right hand next to artorias longsword which gave ~220 AR. status shows a blue "this weapon makes u stronger" improvement, but the damage output was between 60 and 90% better with the regular longsword depending on enemies at a lower overall AR than with Artorias's  :doge

the r1 looks exactly the same, same speed etc. still a dece weapon for cruising through the catacombs early and other early areas (pretty average by sens fortress), got a +10 longsword and the uchi now tho. just got to anor londo, need to grab that sunlight blade.
◕‿◕

Cerveza mas fina

• filler

Himu

UN.

SEEN.

VILLAGE.

This game, man.
IYKYK

Bebpo

UN.

SEEN.

VILLAGE.

(Image removed from quote.)

This game, man.

Oh man, you’re past Rom  :o

Himu

Can’t sleep. Who tf is Rom? Died against this dude that looks like death, woke up in another world, game became silent hill 2 psychological horror shit
IYKYK

Bebpo

Ok, nvm you’re not as far as I thought. Yeah, unseen village is cool.

naff

please keep the bb spoilers low key. i'm borrowing it off a friend to play next week, and i've avoided any critical spoilers up 'til now. just played the first few hrs up to father g and a little further on.
◕‿◕

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan

Concern about 5000 souls

:betty

Himu

Yo! SEKIRO!

Yokatta da neeee

BLOODBORNE GAME OF THE GENERATION!!! :rejoice
IYKYK

Himu

Concern about 5000 souls

Cashed in 40k souls last night in BB.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler

Concern about 5000 souls

Soul shaming

Wow

Mods help

spoiler (click to show/hide)
moss lady wanted 6k in the end
[close]

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
New Londo Ruins guy cures you for less, no? May be wrong.

Anyway started DkS1 as well, and sped through the game (relatively) fast, already rang both bells.
Lol i killed Taurus without plunging, with like, one combo.

Almost dropped the game back 2011, because i couldn't get past him.

Svejk

If I can actually finish DSIII miraculously, I'll definitely jump on BB next. 

Himu

I’ll beat the Vicar tonight. Doesn’t seem too bad in my test run.

Been exploring so much. Finding a woods, a room with an invisible enemy, the unseen village. Shit gone loco. So many choices, so much to do.
IYKYK

Himu

please keep the bb spoilers low key. i'm borrowing it off a friend to play next week, and i've avoided any critical spoilers up 'til now. just played the first few hrs up to father g and a little further on.

what in the fuck. you been in this thread knowing i was going through bb and didn't mention you never played it? God dammit. I'll use spoilers from now on.
IYKYK

Himu

Surprised people complain about Bloodborne’s community. In my experience they’ve been very respectful and even sweet. Very supportive community.
You probably weren't around the "i just played Bloodborne and i can't enjoy any other game" obnoxious parade.
Especially when it came to the "Witcher 3 vs Bloodborne" threads/posts (which incidentally doubled as a Playstation vs Xbox ones, because Witcher was more tied to MS in marketing terms).
FROM fans are generally insufferable, and Bloodborne is their Jesus Christ, the fact that it's also Sony exclusive makes it all the more succulent.

I mean, Bloodborne is so good that I kinda get it. I really don't judge them. I think the game is good enough to warrant that kind of reaction.
IYKYK

naff

what in the fuck. you been in this thread knowing i was going through bb and didn't mention you never played it? God dammit. I'll use spoilers from now on.

:lol

I wasn't that concerned about playing it when y'all first started, two friends who's gaming loves are soulsbornes constantly rave about it as the goat soulsborne, the reason to own ps etc. I've been all  ::) I'll wait til it gets a pc port or i can emulate PS4 in 2025 or something. But when i started playing DS1 after DS3 they were all why are you replaying that when you haven't played Sekiro or BB? ('cause it's the GOAT biaaatch) So they convinced me to borrow it and ps4. Can prob whip through ds1 in the next few days.

Currently juggling full time work and finishing my BSc, why not marathon Soulsbornes and start an mmo for the first time as well? (ffxiv being put on hold unfort) Have a lot of little bits of time to randomly jam games since i'm constantly in front of computers. Particularly enjoying ds1 as a return to a familiar world and i can cruise through on previously hard learnt lessons but still challenged enough it's engaging. Something that was so initially challenging now feeling relatively trivial is quite energising as a break from academic and work tasks.
◕‿◕

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
Surprised people complain about Bloodborne’s community. In my experience they’ve been very respectful and even sweet. Very supportive community.
You probably weren't around the "i just played Bloodborne and i can't enjoy any other game" obnoxious parade.
Especially when it came to the "Witcher 3 vs Bloodborne" threads/posts (which incidentally doubled as a Playstation vs Xbox ones, because Witcher was more tied to MS in marketing terms).
FROM fans are generally insufferable, and Bloodborne is their Jesus Christ, the fact that it's also Sony exclusive makes it all the more succulent.

I mean, Bloodborne is so good that I kinda get it. I really don't judge them. I think the game is good enough to warrant that kind of reaction.
Nah.
It's good, but it's just people being hyperbolic as usual.
Combat in BB isn't even particularly good, it's basically Souls' but sped up a bit and made stamina less restricting/impactful.
The visual design is great tho.

Bebpo

Nah.
It's good, but it's just people being hyperbolic as usual.
Combat in BB isn't even particularly good, it's basically Souls' but sped up a bit and made stamina less restricting/impactful.
The visual design is great tho.

That's basically calling all combat in Souls games outside Sekiro bad and I'd disagree pretty hard on it. It's different and less tight than a good character action game, but there's a lot of variety and really good enemy/boss patterns throughout all the Souls/BB games. In Dark Souls it's cool finding a new weapon and checking out it's like 2-3 moves and learning how to use the range and speed of them on enemies/bosses.

I mean there was a thread on Era about whether Sekiro actually has good combat or not since it's basically just a slash, slash, slash game while hitting block when the enemy attacks or jump/dodge for the red moves and repeat the whole game and would people even want a Sekiro 2 if it's the same thing since it's kind of a one-trick pony combat system. People were saying Nioh has way more deep combat Ninja Gaiden style. My answer to Sekiro is the same answer as Bloodborne/DS, the combat is limited to a few moves, but the way you learn the enemy/boss patterns and work around them with what you have is where the combat depth is and I think it's pretty good from Demon Souls -> Sekiro.

Also Bloodborne has some excellent level design and level design is a big part of why these games are good.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
That's basically calling all combat in Souls games outside Sekiro bad
Calling something "not particularly good" isn't the same as calling it "bad".  ???
I think the combat in BB (and souls) is pretty good, just not outstanding.
Demon's and Dark 1 had the most interesting one, because of the unique mechanics and slow pace they had, despite being somewhat clunky, but then they back pedaled on those more and more.
Doesn't make it bad though.
Taken as a whole, BB is surely a great game, and the best FROM title yet, but even then, i roll my eyes at people saying it "ruined gaming for them" or similar bullshit.

BTW i don't think Sekiro has a "great" combat system either, it's super fun and incredibly satisfying, but feels very shallow after you get the hang of it.
Haven't played Nioh, so i can't comment on that.

naff

Taken as a whole, BB is surely a great game, and the best FROM title yet, but even then, i roll my eyes at people saying it "ruined gaming for them" or similar bullshit.

I found it so eye rolling when the friends i referenced above suddenly felt emboldened to speak on game mechanics and the validity of entire genres (all other rpg's are shit now) 'cause they'd played a couple souls games. Er, try playing some other action rpgs that aren't the witcher 3 or skyrim. But they'll happily zone out in dumb fuck shlooters  ::) I'm over it now but The Witcher 3 vs. Soulsborne debates were the dumbest shit.

◕‿◕

paprikastaude

Re: Soulsborne games thread
« Reply #237 on: May 06, 2019, 07:50:26 PM »
Bloodborne has some of the best level- and exploration design plus atmosphere since like Super Metroid. So, similar to the latter, less-than-excellent combat doesn't even matter.

Himu

« Reply #238 on: May 06, 2019, 08:00:31 PM »
I think the combat is fun as shit. Easy to kill, but easy to be killed. The combat certainly counts as good. Maybe not excellent - after all it’s not fucking Ninja Gaiden or something - but saying it’s not at least good makes little sense to me but whatever. I don’t want to debate what I consider good combat to be.

And yes, Sekiro has great combat. The problem is the encounter design and lack of variety, not the combat. Genichiro is fantastic boss design and shows the full potential of the combat. Just because the game doesn’t fully take advantage of it doesn’t mean the combat isn’t up there. I’d be dead pressed to name a game with better combat this decade. Maybe Bayonetta 2, but I haven’t played it. Either way, it definitely reaches the top of the list. DMCV might be up there, I don’t know. But DMC tends to be a combo fest more than actual encounters.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:07:24 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2019, 08:07:11 PM »
Bloodborne has some of the best level- and exploration design plus atmosphere since like Super Metroid. So, similar to the latter, less-than-excellent combat doesn't even matter.
I agree, the game overall is great, just for other reasons.
(art direction being a big one)

I think the combat is fun as shit. Easy to kill, but easy to be killed. The combat certainly counts as good. Maybe not excellent - after all it’s not fucking Ninja Gaiden or something - but saying it’s not at least good makes little sense to me but whatever. I don’t want to debate what I consider good combat to be.
Thankfully nobody said that.  ;)