Author Topic: Soulsborne games thread (Svjek beat DS3, Cindi beat BB)  (Read 8104 times)

Borys

• CAPTAIN OF XBOX DEATH SQUAD
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:47:54 AM by Borys »

Borys

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:47:59 AM by Borys »

Cindi Mayweather

Hmm.

:ohhh

Using fighting game knowledge here...so...

Bison's psycho crusher has a very horizontal hit box. He takes lots of horizontal space. Same for a hadouken.

In Street Fighter you have a 2d side scroller game that is played x and y axis, horizontal, vertical, and occasionally diagonal. So the counter to psycho crusher is the jump over it, use your own horizontal move such as a hadouken, or if you have a jab fast enough that'll do.

But Bloodborne is a 3d game that has x, y, and z from the third perspective.

So pretending the psycho crusher were in Bloodborne, you definitely wouldn't want to roll back. You'd get hit. There's no jump, and rolling to the side might get tracked by an attack. So dodging forward or to the side would really work well. Hell it'd work fantastic on a hadouken.

Most of the more dangerous attacks in Bloodborne are moves that take up forward space that comes towards you.

And that's how you can control space in Bloodborne by my estimations. It's not clear cut but it seems like a good rule to go by.
Never

Bebpo

I remember I destroyed Ludwig thinking "that is the hardest boss on youtube? what?"

Ludwig is not the hardest boss in the DLC, he's just tough because his moves are hard to read and have big hit radius. He was featured massively on youtube and is a meme because he is AWESOME, not because he's the hardest. Orphan of Kos is tougher imo.

Cindi Mayweather

A lot of attacks in Bloodborne are like this. Hitbox in red, hurtbox in green.

If she were in BB, you'd roll to the left or right, get behind her and punish.

:ohhh

Looking forward to the next boss now.
Never

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
I like how there's a specific hitbox for the tits :rejoice

Borys

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:48:03 AM by Borys »

Cindi Mayweather

No man itís from Skullgirls
Never

Premium Lager

• Surviving G. Shinobi
I feel likw i made a booboo by investing like 11 levels in faith from thw get go, but now I have unlocked Lighting Spear which will hopefully prove BIG for me

Cindi Mayweather

Surprised people complain about Bloodborneís community. In my experience theyíve been very respectful and even sweet. Very supportive community.
Never

naff

• Working on my information gain/understanding process
I feel likw i made a booboo by investing like 11 levels in faith from thw get go, but now I have unlocked Lighting Spear which will hopefully prove BIG for me

did u get artorias's sword?

you could make a run for the divine ember too and imbue something for faith scaling, or go for lightning or just get the sunlight blade.

im SL 26 with most levels put into end (at 20), faith 2nd, then vit and a few in str and dex - 14/14 so i can start wielding uchi, now to get faith to 30 for sunlight blade. something i'd recommend going for asap since you're so heavy on faith. will prob more than double your weapon damage per strike with a high mag adjust talisman
(_,_)

Cindi Mayweather

Just beat Cleric Beast on my first try.
Never

Cindi Mayweather

Game owns

Just put that fighting game hitbox knowledge into action and it worked. :obama

And for those who will complain, yes I know I missed visceral attacks. I didnít realize it was a free visceral until the end. Oh well, you live, you learn.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 11:47:45 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
Never

Premium Lager

• Surviving G. Shinobi

did u get artorias's sword?

you could make a run for the divine ember too and imbue something for faith scaling, or go for lightning or just get the sunlight blade.

im SL 26 with most levels put into end (at 20), faith 2nd, then vit and a few in str and dex - 14/14 so i can start wielding uchi, now to get faith to 30 for sunlight blade. something i'd recommend going for asap since you're so heavy on faith. will prob more than double your weapon damage per strike with a high mag adjust talisman

Nope, sticking to mace I think.

Sl 27 now (6hours lol) with 16 vit, 15 end and 25 faith. Need to put some points into end now. Or should i put the next 5 in faith as well?

naff

you can't really go wrong long term with your stat distribution if you stick with the basics. i think end/vit and phys damage stats are best early game. usually buff faith as i need it for the miracles i get.
(_,_)

Bebpo

Cindi I saw your video on PS4 getting hit by the invisible attack and dying.
I'm so jealous you're playing this for the first time. Out of all the souls games I feel like Bloodborne is the only one I'd like to replay someday. Miyazaki's best game imo and even in 2019 I still stand by that it's the best game on PS4. Have fun with your Insight.

Recommended reading/watching for Bloodborne:
Alan Moore's The Courtyard & Providence
Event Horizon
Grant Morrison's Nameless

Don Rumata

Surprised people complain about Bloodborneís community. In my experience theyíve been very respectful and even sweet. Very supportive community.
You probably weren't around the "i just played Bloodborne and i can't enjoy any other game" obnoxious parade.
Especially when it came to the "Witcher 3 vs Bloodborne" threads/posts (which incidentally doubled as a Playstation vs Xbox ones, because Witcher was more tied to MS in marketing terms).
FROM fans are generally insufferable, and Bloodborne is their Jesus Christ, the fact that it's also Sony exclusive makes it all the more succulent.

Premium Lager

• Surviving G. Shinobi
Once I realized I had to lock on to Capra to be able to block his attacks I was able to beat him. Yay for lightning spear

Bebpo

You probably weren't around the "i just played Bloodborne and i can't enjoy any other game" obnoxious parade.
Especially when it came to the "Witcher 3 vs Bloodborne" threads/posts (which incidentally doubled as a Playstation vs Xbox ones, because Witcher was more tied to MS in marketing terms).
FROM fans are generally insufferable, and Bloodborne is their Jesus Christ, the fact that it's also Sony exclusive makes it all the more succulent.

Well, like I said itís the best game on the system so itís not surprising people hold it in high regard. Same thing happened with RE4 on GC.

Borys

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:37:09 AM by Borys »

Don Rumata

Nah, they moved on to God of War as PS Jesus.
Lol fair enough.

Well, like I said itís the best game on the system so itís not surprising people hold it in high regard. Same thing happened with RE4 on GC.
Best game on the system is debatable, though i agree it's probably the best PS4 exclusive, but RE4 was much more "earth shattering", in terms of design innovation, BB is just a twist on Souls, and if you played souls with a shieldless build, you were already 60% of the way there.
And personally i actually see it as a step back, since it trivializes stamina and encourages R1 spam, two things that set Demon's Souls apart from other action games.

Premium Lager

• Surviving G. Shinobi
BB and Witcher 3 are both in my top 5 from the past decade

1. Witcher 3
2. Bloodborne
3. Last of Us
4. Hotline Miami
5. ???

Also there is a big fucking rat in the sewers in DS
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 07:48:58 AM by Premium Lager »

Borys

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:48:12 AM by Borys »

Svejk

• Ruler of the Large Dark Nipple People
Hotline Miami is the shit....  Didn't care for the 2nd one much at all.  :-\

Cindi Mayweather

I like Bloodborne more than Sekiro.

An entire generation of not feeling single player games and in a month I encounter two that I love. Whew. Big dent on the cynicism armor.
Never

Cindi Mayweather

Seriously. Sekiro isnít an rpg. But Bloodborne is an R.P.G.

I havenít played a single rpg I think is good all generation. Years. Rpgs are my goddamn bread and butter.

The amount of choice and ramifications for being wrong make Bloodborne feel like an old school rpg experience of Japanese rpg lore. Iíve been employing my age old dungeon crawl tactics and systemically deducing the game to its parts. It gives me the same feeling I used to get while playing SMT games and other similar dungeon crawl games. Itís like the game was made specifically for me. Iíve made it to Old Yarnham and itís not hard but itís definitely punishing. It feels like a noticeable step up from Darin souls in that department. The enemies here, even the mooks, arenít here to play.

The online makes it so good. Itís so populous that it feels like a real community helping each other out. It reminds me of Demonís Souls when it first came out. Except this came out four years ago.

Stuff like stats, online, co-op, helping other noobs beat bosses gives it a bigger layer of depth that Sekiro could never achieve.

You guys donít know what it means to me to be able to enjoy an rpg again. One that hasnít sold out or gotten boring.

Real talk, I havenít liked too many single player games this gen besides Cuphead and Sekiro. I have played multiplayer literally all generation.

I feel so wrong having not played BB until now that Iím reconsidering other fan favorites from this gen like God of War or Nier Automata and considering giving them a shot.

This post doesnít even come close to how much Iím feeling this game. Itís everything I loved about niche jrpgs but with a bigger budget.

Might be a game of the generation contender. Weíll see.
Never

Bebpo

Iíd say the dark souls games are more rpg with their builds and loot, Iíd say Bloodborne is a bit more narrative focused and action game focused.

But yeah Sekiro is all that even more so Bloodborne basically sits halfway between Dark Souls & Sekiro.

I do agree that I wish Sekiro had the online stuff. Both for the ambient stuff like ghosts and comments and because itís nice being able to get help. Thereís one boss in Bloodborne that I couldnít beat solo (pretty sure was optional anyhow) but playing coop I was able to beat it and I wish I could do that for some Sekiro bosses.

Also Nier Automata is definitely worth a play even if I feel itís a little overrated and I like the first Nier game better. Havenít gotten to God of War yet.

Cindi Mayweather

I tried nier automata demo and thought it sucked
Never

Premium Lager

• Surviving G. Shinobi
Hotline Miami is the shit....  Didn't care for the 2nd one much at all.  :-\

It was alright, but the levels werent as tight as the first one.

Cindi Mayweather

Whatís the appeal of hotline miami
Never

Bebpo

It plays like a super meat boy/Celeste 10 seconds of perfection runs at a time &  tons of painless deaths, but overhead view and stealth action gameplay. The first one is super great, yeah. Has David Lynch feel. Oh and the soundtrack is awesome.

I tried nier automata demo and thought it sucked

Full game is way better. Some neat bits, story is interesting, but bland small overworld and a lot of repetition. Give the full game a shot at some point, if you arenít feeling it by the amusement park, bail.

Cindi Mayweather

I liked the first nierís story wayyy more than its gameplay
Never

HardcoreRetro

• Ore wa Boss desu

The music, the fast paced action and the on the fly decision making.

Collectible masks in the levels changing the way you get through a level.

Don Rumata

Nier Automata had some amazing highs, but too many bland, boring moments.
Story was cool, if you can stomach that anime over dramatic philosophy, i don't think it does a lot with the characters though.

TBH it would've worked much better as a straight up linear action game (or even linear action rpg) instead of this faux open world.

Borys

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:48:41 AM by Borys »

Don Rumata

PC-based gamer here: God of War is poop.  :doge
It was poop in the Jaffe incarnation, and is even more poop now.

Oh please, ask me to carry another crystal at snail's pace for 5 miles!

Premium Lager

• Surviving G. Shinobi
I fell down some hole, killer frogs all around, got cursed and died

:doge

HardcoreRetro

• Ore wa Boss desu
Oh please, ask me to carry another crystal at snail's pace for 5 miles!

It's actually good game design cause they foreshadow it by making you carry the log up a road at the start of the game. /s

Spieler1

There is a bunch of haters here (Xbox, PC based) but do not mind them.

:goldberg weak

GoW was the first game to make me scream 2-3 times solely because its shitty handholding and exposition wouldn't stop. The unintrusive sidecontent without the hamfisted narrative saved it from being bad.

great singleplayer games this gen: Bloodborne, Doom, Cuphead, Sonic Mania, Bayonetta 2, Resident Evil 7/2, Virtue's Last Reward, Astrobot, Monster Hunter World, Colossus remake, Yakuza 0,...

Cindi Mayweather

Handholding.

*Nam flashbacks*
Never

Cindi Mayweather

This game is so amazing. I canít stop gushing. Amass 10k blood echo. Far from safety. Do I keep going because I feel a shortcut incoming or do I retreat while Iím still intact? That dungeon crawl decision making. :lawd Luckily my instincts were right and I got a shortcut!

Hunters with machine guns :lawd

Slowly walking on broken ceiling pillars carefully navigating deep multi-tiered labyrinths :lawd

Massive blood splatters on the ground forcing you to question,Ēwho or what did THAT?Ē :lawd

Unf!!!
Never

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

The music, the fast paced action and the on the fly decision making.

Collectible masks in the levels changing the way you get through a level.

Amazing game.  I didn't like the sequel as much, but it's still very much worth playing.

You should definitely check out Katana Zero- it's like a side-scrolling Hotline Miami with a sword.
ど助平

Cindi Mayweather

This game!!!

The horror in Old Yarnham is so good!! I canít believe it gets better!
Never

Cindi Mayweather

Almost beat Blood Demon on first try. I had a summon though. I didnít know the purple thing was a summon because I clicked x too fast to read it. I definitely wonít be summoning in the future.
Never

Borys

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:48:53 AM by Borys »

Cindi Mayweather

Somehow, some way, Sekiro and Bloodborne have converted me to Soulsborne. Ordering Dark Souls Trilogy for PS4 when I can. Steelbox! :lawd

Never

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Somehow, some way, Sekiro and Bloodborne have converted me to Soulsborne. Ordering Dark Souls Trilogy for PS4 when I can. Steelbox! :lawd

What about Nioh?
ど助平

Borys

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:48:58 AM by Borys »

Borys

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:49:06 AM by Borys »

Cindi Mayweather

Plz no spoil
Never

Borys

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:50:51 AM by Borys »

Cindi Mayweather

Tried Blood Starved Beast again. Second try and got him halfway. Very easy until his attacks inflict poison and he has that fucking combo. Might want to not want to even evade that combo. It uses so much forward space itís hard to roll out of. Going to see if I can bait it and then punish.
Never

Cindi Mayweather

Damn. This boss is hard as shit.

Father G and Cleric Beast are easy af. Took them out on second or third try and first try respectively. Blood Starved Beast second form is a total bitch.
Never

Cindi Mayweather

Ah. I see. This boss is easy. :ohhh
Never

Cindi Mayweather

Beat him.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 03:54:49 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
Never

Premium Lager

• Surviving G. Shinobi
Fuck grind 5k souls to cure curse

naff

Fuck grind 5k souls to cure curse

3k from dude at the base of the first bell tower after you beat gargs. those bitch made frogs wouldn't have stood a chance at cursing your ass if you had artorias's sword :trumps  :hitler
(_,_)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
I'll try Bloodborne once I get back to Tokyo and re-setup my PS4. I started it and played for like 40 minutes, but I was not enjoying the Dark Souls trauma feelings caused by the tissue-paper weight corpses being kicked around the scene when I moved.

Someone mentioned it's kind of mythos-inspired/lovecraftian, so I'm going to give it another go.

Borys

« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:50:57 AM by Borys »

Svejk

• Ruler of the Large Dark Nipple People
Beat Vordt of Boreal last night... Baby steps. Getting back what DS2 legs I  established. Made it past the 2nd primal bonfire in it, but dropped it for reasons.