Author Topic: Soulsborne games thread - Demon's Souls PS5  (Read 82743 times)

Bebpo

Re: Soulsborne games thread
« Reply #540 on: December 03, 2019, 02:47:40 AM »
yeah, Sen's is tough and cool.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #541 on: December 03, 2019, 07:07:16 AM »
Sen has nothing on Tower of Latria from Demon's.

BTW I did not found the bonfire nor the elevator in Sen only after killing the boss. Yeah, that was fun running ALL THE FUCKING WAY to the boss at least a couple of times. I had that shit memorized to a tee.
They're not that similar, design wise.
Latria is way cooler in terms of atmosphere, but the level design of Sen is more intricate.

Himu

« Reply #542 on: December 03, 2019, 10:15:35 AM »
Yes, knights and shit :rejoice

Sekiro's enemy variety was very poor. Very weird criticism especially in defense of sekiro. And even more especially when samurai are basically Japanese knights and you fight plenty of them. Lmao
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #543 on: December 03, 2019, 11:35:50 AM »
Sekiro had fucking APES!
2 apes.
Being bosses.
The rest were mere monkeys.

Also like Cindi said, Souls have plenty more creatures than just knights, lol, especially if you're counting bosses.

Himu

« Reply #544 on: December 03, 2019, 12:27:54 PM »
Made it to Anor Londo. HOLY SHIT!!!
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #545 on: December 03, 2019, 02:55:10 PM »

Himu

« Reply #546 on: December 03, 2019, 03:43:22 PM »
I'm surprisingly finding the story in Dark Souls more resonant than BB's. As someone with a lot of struggles and been fighting them bit by bit it really speaks to me how this character just keeps going despite it all. It's really well done speaking to other adventurers who have given up and how I keep trying. The tone is totally different than Demons or Bloodborne and I'm loving it.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #547 on: December 03, 2019, 11:29:16 PM »
Soooo... I'm gonna take a stab here and guess that I should probably just go back to Bloodborne instead of play Shenmue 3... ??
 :thinking

Coax

« Reply #548 on: December 04, 2019, 09:29:01 AM »
Man Sekiro sure had great imaginery................ I miss it already. It was just different barring Nioh.

I probably appreciate Sekiro mostly for its appetizing vignettes even if some aren't as layered as they have the potential to be. Things like the first time ascent to and up the outer side of Ashina Castle were a wonderful experience. In that sense I agree it would be nice to see more games with such an eye for periods like that.

concept art

:lawd
[close]

Svejk

« Reply #549 on: December 04, 2019, 02:17:21 PM »
Even though I got turned off from DS2 (hollowing.. fucking hated it), the title music still reigns supreme in mood setting, imho...  freakin chills every time I hear it. 
spoiler (click to show/hide)

:preach 
And Majula too   :lawd
[close]
[close]

Himu

« Reply #550 on: December 04, 2019, 02:26:18 PM »
You go hollow in DS2?!
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #551 on: December 04, 2019, 02:58:32 PM »
I'm not too familiar what with all hollowing entails (the lore) in the souls games, but in DS2, when you start to hollow out from dying more often, you start to look hollowed; undead like.  Which also drops your HP cap too; up to half...  But that didn't bother me as much as appearance though.   :doge  I want to look beautiful while covered in blood and darkness.  FashionSouls for me.

Himu

« Reply #552 on: December 04, 2019, 03:15:04 PM »
:o

I noticed something similar in DS1.

Hollow means to become truly dead. A hollow is all the monsters you fight in game. They're undead people that have since gone hollow.

I look much different than I did at the beginning of the game. Reminds me of SotC where the Wanderer starts to look sick and dying the more he kills the giants. That video game minimalist storytelling. :bow
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #553 on: December 04, 2019, 03:28:40 PM »
I'm not too familiar what with all hollowing entails (the lore) in the souls games, but in DS2, when you start to hollow out from dying more often, you start to look hollowed; undead like.  Which also drops your HP cap too; up to half...  But that didn't bother me as much as appearance though.   :doge  I want to look beautiful while covered in blood and darkness.  FashionSouls for me.
I modded that out on PC.

Svejk

« Reply #554 on: December 04, 2019, 03:42:42 PM »
I modded that out on PC.
:thinking hmmmm.. didn't even think about that.   I may pick up SOTFS again if it goes on the cheap. 

Himu

« Reply #555 on: December 08, 2019, 11:47:21 PM »
Damn Anor Londo has tricky bits
IYKYK

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #556 on: December 09, 2019, 01:07:24 AM »

Those moments when I feel like I can finally casually get through all the stuff I had a rough time with at the beginning -- and then misstepping and still getting my ass handed to me.

Bebpo

« Reply #557 on: December 09, 2019, 02:30:50 AM »

The part with the archers  :maf

Himu

« Reply #558 on: December 09, 2019, 02:36:16 AM »

The part with the archers  :maf

I'm at a part where you fight these lightning  weapon dragons and there's an archer. Tough scenario.
IYKYK

Thirty-Ought-Six

« Reply #559 on: December 15, 2019, 01:59:10 AM »
I've been playing DS2: SOTFS

It's the weakest of the 3 imo (since it doesn't have the amazing world design of DS1 or the level of boss fights in DS3), but I'm having a ton of fun anyway. I think one of the biggest things that turned people off from it was the game gives no indication at all how important agility is, or even what it is doing, so unless you look up detailed testing players did you can't build a reasonable character.

I like how different the game is. All 3 are quite different, which makes them all worth playing. DS2 is the slowest and most methodical, there are many places where you will be killed almost instantly if you rush in. Bonfire ascetics are a nice feature. Some bosses are up there with the best
Fume Knight and Ivory King
[close]

Magic is probably the best of the series. I never used much magic in the others, but this time spells give you more options. There are the basic damage dealing projectiles, as well as AOE, but there are also defensive spells of various ranges (Focus Souls is a fun one to put up when something is charging at you), spells intended to stun rather than damage (Soul Vortex is great at this), the greatsword spells for wider hits and going through obstacles, etc. This is the first time I've really liked a mage character as much as melee.

Himu

« Reply #560 on: December 16, 2019, 12:42:44 AM »
Anor Londo is hard as shit. Still haven't gotten past the archers on the ledges. (Almost though)
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #561 on: December 16, 2019, 01:00:15 AM »
Holy fuck I did it
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #562 on: December 16, 2019, 02:14:28 AM »
Anor Londo is hard as shit. Still haven't gotten past the archers on the ledges. (Almost though)

Holy fuck I did it

Yeah, this is the spot I was talking about. Probably hardest spot in the DS1 for me!

Himu

« Reply #563 on: December 16, 2019, 03:07:25 AM »
Lmao gotta play this

IYKYK

FatalT

« Reply #564 on: December 16, 2019, 04:37:37 AM »
Lmao gotta play this

IT BROKE NEW GROUUUNNNNDDD

So how about that Code Vein?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #565 on: December 16, 2019, 08:49:46 AM »
Lmao gotta play this

The game is basically copied homework with Sekiro and some more classic Soul elements, yes.
It actually makes you appreciate how good those games are, in comparison, since this is one is so unfun to actually play.

Random example:
It has the stance meter, like Sekiro, but in this one once you break the enemy's, you don't just kill them outright, you just get the opportunity to land a couple of hits to their actual health bar (removing, like, 10% at best) as their stance quickly replenishes, making that mechanic actually an incredible chore.

It's like they played the game, but didn't understand what made it fun and satisfying.  :yeshrug

Svejk

« Reply #566 on: December 16, 2019, 09:18:58 AM »
I like how the Blight town scene pops up and the frame rate drops all of a sudden.  :lol

Himu

« Reply #567 on: December 17, 2019, 12:39:10 PM »
Smough and Ornstein :o
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #568 on: December 19, 2019, 02:18:10 AM »
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #569 on: December 19, 2019, 10:15:54 AM »
Smough and Ornstein :o

Omfg :stahp
If you're having trouble, remember what the Romans used to say: Divide et Impera.  :-*

Himu

« Reply #570 on: December 19, 2019, 12:10:54 PM »
Struggled chipping Ornstein's life so I checked my weapon level and turns out it was only +4. Went to fight em again and got him to half life.  :doge

Today you die, gentlemen.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #571 on: December 20, 2019, 09:47:16 AM »
Ornstein is BS. The attack he has that tracks and he glides is BULLSHIT. He has fast recovery on every single move. Dude will glide across the screen and immediately do a backdash distancing himself from attack space. FUCKING BULLSHIT.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 10:12:19 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #572 on: December 20, 2019, 11:07:01 AM »
Ornstein is BS. The attack he has that tracks and he glides is BULLSHIT. He has fast recovery on every single move. Dude will glide across the screen and immediately do a backdash distancing himself from attack space. FUCKING BULLSHIT.
What weapon are you using for the fight? Something too slow? Kite him away from Smough, use the pillars (even just the stumps work fine) to block his attacks, and roll into his lunges and immediately strike.
That strategy usually works for me.

Himu

« Reply #573 on: December 20, 2019, 11:09:29 AM »
What weapon are you using for the fight? Something too slow? Kite him away from Smough, use the pillars (even just the stumps work fine) to block his attacks, and roll into his lunges and immediately strike.
That strategy usually works for me.

A katana. The range is limited so I cannot punish when he back steps.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #574 on: December 20, 2019, 11:24:52 AM »
I don't remember, does DkS1 have the out-of-a-roll attack? (Pressing R1 while rolling).
There was a Katana who had a good horizontal slash with that move, that should help if you roll into his thrusts (using iframes to survive it).

Himu

« Reply #575 on: December 20, 2019, 11:40:52 AM »
I'd like a lance but I need a dex based lance. I'll also have to level it +5. Hopefully I have something. :(

I do have the silver knight spear so maybe that's a possibility. I feel like I could poke Orny to death with something long, but the katana just handicaps me. I think I might also need Str to wield the silver knight spear.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #576 on: December 20, 2019, 11:49:50 AM »
Already have but iirc I have low str for it. We'll see.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #577 on: December 20, 2019, 12:00:51 PM »
Uchigatana is perfectly fine for them, i did the whole game with it a bunch of times.

Himu

« Reply #578 on: December 23, 2019, 03:25:15 AM »
Bruh, I leveled up my iaito to like +10 and can take out ornstein with a breeze almost not getting hit now. And then the super electric Smough can kill with one hit (butt slam). Crazy.
IYKYK

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #579 on: December 23, 2019, 03:27:33 AM »
I beat them with uchi but it took me an embarrassing amount of tries, then second time around it was ez.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #580 on: December 23, 2019, 08:53:30 AM »
 :nope Iaito

:ohyeah Uchi

Himu

« Reply #581 on: December 23, 2019, 09:24:19 AM »
Uchigatana has shit durability tho
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #582 on: December 23, 2019, 01:46:04 PM »
Almost. Went to bed last night. I'll likely get them today.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #583 on: December 23, 2019, 02:29:13 PM »
Uchigatana has shit durability tho
durability is only really a factor in DkS2 though, except for crystal weapons. as long as you buy the tool box.

Himu

« Reply #584 on: December 23, 2019, 02:47:16 PM »
Still annoying af though. My Uchigatana almost broke in the middle of a boss fight in the depths.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #585 on: December 23, 2019, 02:48:58 PM »
Cindi, this thread is crazy. It's a tough fight that might take 30-60 mins of retries, but not one you should be stuck at for days. Did you watch any youtube vids for strategy tips?

Himu

« Reply #586 on: December 23, 2019, 02:54:27 PM »
I had a +4 weapon most of the time I fought them.

I googled to see what weapon level I should be at because I wasn't doing much damage to them and turns out I should have been +10.

I had been unknowingly gimping myself all of Anor Londo because the game has so many types of weapon enhancement and didn't want to fuck up my weapons permanently, so I decided to not level up my weapons past +5. So when I found out I should have a +10 weapon I leveled it up and instantly had an easier time. That was last night. I almost beat them but then was too tired and went to bed.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #587 on: December 23, 2019, 04:06:13 PM »
Also, tbh, this is the hardest fight in the Souls series (so far) imo. I think it's harder than Kos.

For one, Kos always has the same opener. A charge attack.

With Smough and Ornstein, Ornstein's opening decides both enemies behavior entirely. If he charges to you then you know you'll have a fine time. If he doesn't, sometimes the AI is overly aggressive and Smough will be running towards you the entire fight, making it hard to keep him away even with the pillars.

Then there's the fact that multiple hits can hurt you even if they're not a combo. Smough can hit you then Orny can. Your hit stun is fairly limited. Combine with unpredictable things like movesets, Ornstein's glide where he goes into debris, stops, and then glides again which completely messes up your dodge timing. Or Smough's charge attack which clears a massive amount of space.

It's easily the hardest Souls fight bar none when combining multiple factors.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #588 on: December 23, 2019, 04:36:33 PM »
It's a hard fight but I disagree. Other than having to deal with 2 enemies at once it's fine. Also +10 seems excessive. Isn't the max weapon lvl.+10? They aren't endgame bosses and pretty sure I didn't have max weapon level until the endgame.

Himu

« Reply #589 on: December 23, 2019, 04:40:49 PM »
I don't know. I find them very hard and I'm using katanas and light armor. Maybe you got lucky with the RNG?

Either way, I beat them. :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 04:46:22 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #590 on: December 23, 2019, 04:58:13 PM »
TITTIES :jeb

MY REWARD FOR PERSEVERANCE :rejoice

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 05:15:55 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #591 on: December 23, 2019, 05:41:34 PM »
What element katana? There’s a busted tree that kills every boss in like 5 slashes and is most broken weapon in entire souls series, which is probably why I didn’t struggle on that fight.

It’s

Bleed element

Scaling is broken in DS1
[close]

Himu

« Reply #592 on: December 23, 2019, 06:12:33 PM »
I have no element on my sword.

Though it does create bleed.
IYKYK

Bebpo

« Reply #593 on: December 23, 2019, 09:43:24 PM »
Hmm, maybe all Katanas cause bleed. Don't remember.

Svejk

« Reply #594 on: December 25, 2019, 11:58:50 AM »
Finally finished Death Stranding, so I've jumped back into BB.  Not sure how far I'm in it... Did a part where I died by some sack carrying guy and woke in some prison area??  Forgot the name already.. some Hidden village or something? 

On a side note, really tempted to scoop up Sekiro on sale right now..

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #595 on: December 25, 2019, 12:51:23 PM »
Hmm, maybe all Katanas cause bleed. Don't remember.
Many dex weapons do, i think.

Himu

« Reply #596 on: December 26, 2019, 01:06:48 AM »
This game is such an adventure. Found a coffin and rested in it and was dragged to some sarcophagus. So fucking metal.
IYKYK

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #597 on: December 26, 2019, 10:44:02 AM »
This game is such an adventure. Found a coffin and rested in it and was dragged to some sarcophagus. So fucking metal.

BTW for the next play through,
that's how you can get a game breaking weapon as soon as you land in Firlink shrine.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #598 on: December 26, 2019, 02:03:55 PM »
Pinwheel was really easy. Feels good to have a break after S&O so I'm not complaining.  :doge

Also the dark area in the tomb of the giants after Pinwheel is more scary than Pinwheel.  :doge
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #599 on: December 27, 2019, 11:52:08 PM »
Man, say what you want about the post-Anor Londo content, I really don't mind it. I took out multiple Capra Demons at once and felt like a damn God. This game is a classic and the post-AL stuff is not as bad as people say.

DS1 > BB, hate to say it
IYKYK