Author Topic: Unorthodox gaming opinions  (Read 5215 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Unorthodox gaming opinions
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2019, 09:48:54 AM »
Splitscreen N64 multiplayer [Mario Party, Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, ect.] was more fun than any multiplayer I've played since.
dog

BisMarckie

« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2019, 09:54:32 AM »
Diddy Kong Racing is a bad game. :hmph

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2019, 10:09:54 AM »
That is actually an incorrect opinion.
dog

paprikastaude

« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2019, 10:10:18 AM »
Fixed camera angles are good and make for superior atmosphere if the developers are at least half-talented.

Breath of Fire IV has some of the best writing on PS1 and is totally underrated compared to other hyped up JRPG stories.

Fanboyism is the biggest cancer of videogaming as a hobby and opinions by voluntary single-platform-owners should be entirely ignored.

Saying "nostalgia goggles" is a pathetic and lazy way to dismiss old games in arguments.

Nier 1 has good to occasionally great gameplay as long as you don't do sidequests.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:27:59 AM by Spieler1 »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2019, 01:30:16 PM »
Nintendo has been putting out nothing but tired, derivative trash for the past 20 years.

fuck youuuuuu
makes sense that you're a nintenyearold, explains a lot.

literally no one disputes this
püp

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2019, 01:52:24 PM »
Splitscreen N64 multiplayer [Mario Party, Goldeneye, Diddy Kong Racing, ect.] was more fun than any multiplayer I've played since.

Goldeneye was the only one I gave a shit about.  I remember that getting dropped for Spawn: In The Demon's Hand on the Dreamcast of all games, but Capcom did a good job with it.

For me, the best was the OG Xbox.  Local multiplayer Halo and Halo 2, where we usually had 6-8 players, was such a blast.  Also had a lot of fun with the Spies Vs. Mercs modes in the Splinter Cell games.  Runner-up was the Game Cube because of PSO1+2, although I remember often conking out and awakening hours later to my friends still all playing- they'd just clear the dungeons and move my character to the exit when done.  :lol
ど助平

Chooky

« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2019, 02:21:57 PM »
best multiplayer for me was on pc before the days of xbox live. lots of great games and no universal account systems, drm, whatever. you could load up a game and play all sorts of crazy mods, or troll the shit out of assholes with no repercussions. it was the early days of unregulated internet but in game form. it was glorious.

Svejk

« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2019, 02:48:47 PM »
I remember that getting dropped for Spawn: In The Demon's Hand on the Dreamcast of all games, but Capcom did a good job with it.
I remember playing that quite excessively at Swap at one point.  :lol 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2019, 02:46:01 AM »
Mercenaries was the best game of the PS2/GC/Xbox/DC gen.

Too bad though Mercenaries 2 was a way worse game funded and programmed by the CIA.

It was seriously awesome. It's amazing what they managed to get into the first game. I loved the ability to sneak into an enemy base and surveil using one of their own trucks, only having to keep out an eye for sharp-witted Captain NPCs. I remember blowing up a bridge at one point, and realizing it was going to mess with my ability to traverse the map AND I'd pissed off the Chinese faction, so I reverted to an earlier save, and messed around until I found a way to do it covertly, free from blame, still completing the mission.

Then Mercs 2 comes out and shits the bed. Launches with A-Bugs coming out of its ass, and strapped on co-op gameplay that its networking code is unable to accommodate. Just miserable. I think Sceneman and I had a fair run of it, and I also did some with Sho Nuff. There was a racing mission that broke in co-op if the two players separated too much.  ::)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2019, 03:01:41 AM »
I'm have a feeling a lot or all of the missions break in co-op if you separate too much. One of the friends I played it with, we were driving in the same boat together, he lagged and was rubberbanded back to the spot he was at, left in the water, as I continued racing forward in the boat and it busted because we were too far apart, he was kicked out of the mission. A similar problem occurred when I blew up a building he was standing on, except it didn't blow up in his instance and the game seemed to lose its mind trying to figure out if it was there or not. :lol

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2019, 05:03:09 AM »
I'm have a feeling a lot or all of the missions break in co-op if you separate too much. One of the friends I played it with, we were driving in the same boat together, he lagged and was rubberbanded back to the spot he was at, left in the water, as I continued racing forward in the boat and it busted because we were too far apart, he was kicked out of the mission. A similar problem occurred when I blew up a building he was standing on, except it didn't blow up in his instance and the game seemed to lose its mind trying to figure out if it was there or not. :lol
Yup, that's the kind of thing we experienced. I'm just saying, if you want to run proximity-limited network code, make sure you don't include mission types which encourage or require a lack of proximity.