Author Topic: star wars jedi: fallen order  (Read 17700 times)

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
Re: star wars jedi: fallen order
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2019, 09:54:02 AM »
he likes everyone's posts
püp

Coffee Dog

« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2019, 10:12:26 AM »
Metroid would be a much different and much worse experience if literally every optional path led to boring ass cosmetics like this game does. This game makes me put scare quotes around the word """exploration""".

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2019, 03:27:43 PM »
It's five years after Revenge of the Sith/order 66
yar

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2019, 07:44:23 PM »
(…)

Other people seem to like it, but i have a hard time believing that if people weren't so desperate for a success story, when it comes to a Star Wars game, this wouldn't have gotten a harsher judgment.

That’s like saying The Beatles Rock Band would have been judged more harshly if it wasn’t for the Beatles music. sure, it is inherently true: the license game has several things it does less well than the mainline game, but it’s the only way you’re getting the music of The Beatles.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2019, 08:18:08 AM »
I agree with all of that, and if i think about the fun i had with Jedi Outcast & Academy (and even Force Unleashed 1, which at least had euphoria and DMM to play with) i'm kind of flabbergasted this didn't get trashed in reviews.
I'll finish it though, sunken cost and all that.

I'm also particularly annoyed how every star wars story seems to be exactly the fucking same, is this a practical joke? A conspiracy? I guess they wanted to play it extra safe with this one, but God almighty is it uninteresting to see the same fucking plot developments for all these cardboard characters, for the millionth time.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2019, 08:27:15 AM »
I think it’s getting a pass cos ea released a single player story based star war that’s not monetised to fuck (as far as I know).

You’ll appreciate a spoon full of gruel if you’ve been fed shit for the last 5 years.
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2019, 03:30:29 PM »
Finished the game.
Yeah, a 6/10 at most.

This made me revaluate Dad of War, that combat system was a pure diamond by comparison.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2019, 03:34:06 PM »
God of War is a legit 10/10 game. For some unknown reason the well known trolls here try to bring this game down because it's not DMC5 or whatever.

Stay losing, weebs.
I couldn't even finish the demo of DMC5, let alone play the full game. 
Whatever fantasy keeps you sleeping at night, though. :doge

GoW was an alright game, with amazing production values.
The story was lame, the combat was just pretty good, and the pacing was atrocious.

FatalT

« Reply #128 on: December 07, 2019, 01:08:26 AM »
I thought this was a horrible game after first finishing it but I was coming off of a Death Stranding high. I've since played it again (well at least until my Origin Premier runs out this month) and I've enjoyed it but honestly it still does feel like Tomb Raider or Uncharted with a Souls-like combat system to me. Not to say that's a bad combination but it could have definitely been a lot better if there were more powers introduced. I understand Cal is a Padawan and no one is really around to teach him anything new but it still just mostly felt like you were limited to blocking blaster shots and breaking enemies' guards until you could damage them, then repeating the process until they were dead. I'll probably end up giving it another run-through before the subscription ends to appreciate it more but I'm not entirely sure it's worth all the praise it received. It was a fun, enjoyable game but didn't really do much new.

I'd probably give it a 9/10 because it's just a blast to play (even with all that criticism) but I also played it on a decent PC so I didn't experience any bugs or glitches. I was mostly just soured by the last few bits of the game and a few boss fights where the difficulty escalates ten-fold out of nowhere. Outside of those experiences I definitely would like to see a sequel or a series made from this. It's more fun than feeling like an absolute beast like in the Force Unleashed games but I'd still like to have at least SOME of that UULLLTIMATE POOWWAAAHHH. Maybe in a sequel?

EDIT: I don't see a comparison to Devil May Cry with this game at all. Again, to me, it feels more like Uncharted/Tomb Raider with Souls-like combat, Sekiro in particular.

paprikastaude

« Reply #129 on: December 07, 2019, 01:33:56 AM »
GoW is a 10/10 in aggressively handholding you through a pretentious crap story. Game was only saved by sidecontent that left you alone from that shit.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #130 on: December 07, 2019, 01:57:20 AM »
Eh GoW is 8/10. Pretty fun game if limited combat. Goes on a bit too long.

Haven't really had time to play this game though.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2019, 02:10:45 AM »
God of War is a legit 10/10 game. For some unknown reason the well known trolls here try to bring this game down because it's not DMC5 or whatever.

Stay losing, weebs.

:preach

Rahxephon91

« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2019, 05:38:33 AM »
Played a lot of this today. Made it to the point where you are revisiting the Wookie planet. I got to say this is a better Tomb Raider game then the last actual tomb TR game. Level design is excellent and souls like while still feeling very linear/focused. I swear I've spent most of this game just exploring the levels.

But I don't think the combat feels janky. I don't know what it is, but the window for dodging or parrying doesn't feel great. I've played Bloodborne and Souls 3 and there it felt like timed rolls or dodges during the enemies attack animation were perfect. When done well they worked. Here it feels like a roll of the dice. I don't know, it's like I do it clearly when the enemy is attacking and they just follow me anyway. I don't know, doesn't feel as good as a souls game.

I mean everyone's critique about this being every trendy game idea in 2019 or getting by on the ip, is well correct. Which is'nt 100% a bad thing. Sure you get things like Batman AA which are good games on thier own and go beyond simply being a good license. But I mean everyone loved Spider-man and that was simply a really well executed use of the ip and the modern open world and Batman combat template. Honestly, it was a really well polished and AAA production value version of what Acitivison has been doing. I don't think Fallen Order is as good as Spider-man, but it's on that level. It's a decent game that has a bit more going for it then simply being a throw away Star Wars game. They had some ambition and it really shows with the level design. The world of Star Wars really comes to life with the detailed production they've created and I think that goes a long way.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2019, 10:28:21 AM »
I haven't played this yet but I think it's important to understand that a) it started out as a different game/new ip b) they cobbled this together from that game in 1.5-2 years. I think their next game will probably be even better now that they know what works/what ppl enjoyed.

This is a little funny if you're familiar with respawn/infinity-ward history since this basically their whole career. They pitch a game, get told no, put something else together in a shorter time span that ends up exceeding expectations or sets them up for a bigger sequel.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2019, 05:18:52 PM »
Completed it and found all the chests

Even though I ran into some of the jank along the way I must say that overall I really enjoyed this game. Fun exploration, great graphics, wonderful sound and good combat.
Near the end it does become clear that they really had no idea how to tie everything together they had set out to do. So it ends cool but also a bit sudden in the grand scheme of things.
I actually flew around some more to find out that even characters that join late game have lines of dialogue for the earlier planets. Something tells me about 75% of the way in they cut out or rearranged some things.

8.5 Parsecs / Baby Yoda

Would collude with space Russian again

[close]
🤴

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #135 on: December 09, 2019, 07:53:13 PM »
Is it just me, or did they give her massive teeth (yeah, i spelled that right) in the game?

Coffee Dog

« Reply #136 on: December 10, 2019, 12:42:02 PM »
Jedi update: my EA subscription is expiring and I have no desire to play the last couple hours of this. The gameplay is just too lame. It makes me want to finally just beat bloodborne instead of playing this for another moment.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2019, 03:22:11 PM »
At first I thought 'oh this combat is fun!" but really I think I mainly was just taken by the novelty of lightsabre stuff. Now that I'm at the 9th sister I'm like "oh...it actually isn't that great." as the novelty has worn off. Why does a freaking slug take 5x the amount of hits that a storm trooper does? How can a boss that's slowed and turning their back to me block my attack? Why is the push largely so useless unless they're close to a ledge?

Really the game has promise but so many of the decisions make no sense. I'm a badass jedi! Let's spend 70% of the game jumping! Let's make there be like 4-5 enemies per level!  Let's make it so that force powers are mostly used for platforming! Let's make blocking pointless except for boss fights where you'll have to do a lot of it there. Let's introduce swimming! No, we won't put any enemies or underwater platforming or puzzles. Just swim. Isn't that exciting?! It's like swimming! But like without any challenge!
que

Rahxephon91

« Reply #138 on: December 10, 2019, 11:14:48 PM »
Well one of the problems with the game is that combat is a flatline. There's no real leveling and the abilities don't actually add that much tool or utility. So honestly, after the first real planet you've mostly seen the enemy types you're going to fight and after that it's just here's this planet's version of the "small bug enemy" or the "soldier with the mace". So I don't feel you really engage enemies differently and you're not really killing them faster or better so you're kind of seeing what the game has to offer early.

Combined with what I think is I don't know dodgy frame input(in that I really feel dodge timing is off" and the samey combat that comes the fact that you only have two weapons(Ok you're a Jedi so kind of stuck with that, how about Jedi styles) and you have combat that can't carry the game. I mean it's fun, don't get me wrong, but it misses what From games do. Which is a good sense of progression, not only in simple character leveling, but also from learning the enemy tells and tactics. Which is lacking to me in this game.

Svejk

« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2019, 07:50:21 AM »
For all that have completed it, do you all feel that if they made a follow up, that they could pull off a Naughty Dog and improve it the same as Uncharted to Uncharted 2 greatness?

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #140 on: December 11, 2019, 08:19:38 AM »
For all that have completed it, do you all feel that if they made a follow up, that they could pull off a Naughty Dog and improve it the same as Uncharted to Uncharted 2 greatness?
Sure.
The main issue with the game, is the abysmal level of jank, so a lot of polishing could help a great deal.
Also a less bland, by the numbers Star Wars cast/story would help as well.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2019, 12:05:44 PM »
EA will rush to get a sequel for next year and will absolutely not care about whether its janky or not
püp

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2019, 01:50:02 PM »

Yes, if they have enough time. Fixing the jank in the combat is really necessary, like there's a potentially great game underneath. And I agree that if they want side/backtracking and exploration they need to incentivize that with more than just aesthetics. They should take some more risks with equipment and force abilities.
A couple of times when you go backtrack an area (having to return to the ship, after you reach the bottom of an area) they throw a couple of extra encounters at you.
Either expand on that idea, or just give fast travel options.

As it is now, the hike back to the ship is just boring.

kingv

« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2019, 01:58:01 PM »
I got force push last night, and now that I have plugged in a few hours I agree the combat is kind of janky and sort of crap. I notice the bank the most on those little mole rat things. Like you miss what feels like it should hit. The lock on is ass too.

Imo, the mix of acrobatic Jedi and dark souls just doesn’t work quite right. As a result I turned the difficultY down to story mode and am playing it like uncharted. Only thing I would say is that there could be a difficult between story mode and Jedi knight, because they tune down the damage so much in story mode it’s nearly impossible to die.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #144 on: December 11, 2019, 03:33:02 PM »

I don't think it could be great because there isn't a hint of originality in the enemies or the combat. Even if this thing was polished to hell, it'd still be worse than the worst dark souls.

I'm not saying there isn't a strong foundation there, but it would be even more impressive than uncharted 1 -> uncharted 2 if this team released a great souls genre game.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #145 on: December 11, 2019, 04:25:29 PM »

I don't think it could be great because there isn't a hint of originality in the enemies or the combat. Even if this thing was polished to hell, it'd still be worse than the worst dark souls.

I'm not saying there isn't a strong foundation there, but it would be even more impressive than uncharted 1 -> uncharted 2 if this team released a great souls genre game.
For one they could use the Star Wars brand to carve out gameplay elements beyond the bare minimum.

Jedi Knight had lightsaber throwing and clashing, Force Unleashed had DMM and Euphoria for great force interactions... even Control had better "force powers" than this.
This has nothing to it: Basic pull/push and a slow down mechanic that is barely ever useful, it's really poor in terms of creativity.

They have the template (because Sekiro created it for them  :lol) they have the universe (because Lucas and decades of fan fiction created it for them  ::)) they just need to add something of their own.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2019, 12:06:21 AM »
Finished it. It was ok. The level design and production values carry the game if at all.

Combat is whatever. I don't know, it's rather boring after the general "oh shit they copied the Souls trend, but with a lightsaber" novelty wears off. They just never really do anything with it and I still feel it's very janky. But it works enough I guess to the point that I still played through it I guess.

I said before that I feel like this was a better Tomb Raider then the last one as the level design and set pieces are pretty cool. I really did spend a lot of time exploring them and the scale of things like the Destroyer crash site in this game is really excellent. The game does a good job of showing the universe off. But I also liked the map, because just like this years Resident Evil 2, color coding the map to show what you can't get to and can now, but haven't gotten to does make me actually want to go there and figure shit out. Maybe a little brain dead and the game never has amazing "fuck this shortcut leads here" moments like Bloodborne or a Souls game. But still makes everything a breezy experince.

I think the story is ok. It has some cool ideas. I do like how the Jedi here seem you know, more like people....compared to the sterile shit in the prequels. I think the game had good ideas and did'nt cheapen out on character motivation and arcs. It's just the characters themselves don't have exciting personalities. It's all acted well and the writing had good intentions and a sound ground. It's just the spark of charisma is really not there. The rest of the plot is whatever. Cool world building/expanding moments for Star Wars. The best I can say is that it was a solid Star Wars spin-off that did'nt feel embarrassing, outright bad, or too samey. It just did'nt go far enough I guess.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2019, 11:37:01 AM »
Well one of the problems with the game is that combat is a flatline. There's no real leveling and the abilities don't actually add that much tool or utility. So honestly, after the first real planet you've mostly seen the enemy types you're going to fight and after that it's just here's this planet's version of the "small bug enemy" or the "soldier with the mace". So I don't feel you really engage enemies differently and you're not really killing them faster or better so you're kind of seeing what the game has to offer early.

Combined with what I think is I don't know dodgy frame input(in that I really feel dodge timing is off" and the samey combat that comes the fact that you only have two weapons(Ok you're a Jedi so kind of stuck with that, how about Jedi styles) and you have combat that can't carry the game. I mean it's fun, don't get me wrong, but it misses what From games do. Which is a good sense of progression, not only in simple character leveling, but also from learning the enemy tells and tactics. Which is lacking to me in this game.
I think this is exactly it. There's no progression. It's just the same from the moment you get in to the moment you get out.
que

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #148 on: December 17, 2019, 11:42:23 AM »
Game is clicking for me now.  Combat is still eh but I like the exploration, puzzle solving, and all the star wars-y whimsy
püp

« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2020, 03:05:41 PM »
Ended up scoring this for about $30 on Amazon, it had an extra secret $15 off once you got to the checkout screen over the weekend.
野球

Svejk

« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2020, 03:43:47 PM »
*looks at watch.... yeah, it's about time the price starts dropping.  I need that $30 price point too for digital.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2020, 09:13:50 PM »
It's already 15$ on Origin access, no? Or is that PC only? It's rental but you'll never want to replay this, trust me.  :doge

kingv

« Reply #152 on: January 20, 2020, 12:03:01 PM »
Just finished this:
The good:
- the story is better than any of the new Star Wars movies and is actually half decent. Characters have motivation and growth and they actually do things that make logical sense
- fighting storm troopers with force powers is relatively fun
- some of the temple puzzles are sort of Zelda-esque
- the lighting is really nice
The bad:
- same animals on every planet doesn’t really make sense
- the core gameplay is kind of shitty, especially when you are fighting non humanoid enemies. It’s like a jankier sekiro
- the dark souls part of it just doesn’t really work. It wants to be both mass market 3rd party comfort food and hardcore. The combination just doesn’t really work. It’s like “what if uncharted was just really hard?” As a result I just played the whole thing on casual to see the story.
- terrible faces, every character looks derpy and weird.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #153 on: January 20, 2020, 12:39:36 PM »
I should be receiving this from gamefly this week, excited to jump right in
fat

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2020, 07:19:18 PM »
Already experienced a bug where an enemy doesn't spawn

This game is dogshit
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2020, 07:42:08 PM »
Already experienced a bug where an enemy doesn't spawn

This game is dogshit

duh

its ea
What

« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2020, 04:45:17 PM »
I'm slowly playing this, maybe like a couple hours a week. Just got to Kashyyk. It's fun but not mind-blowing or anything.
野球

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2020, 05:26:49 PM »
I finished it over the weekend and thought it was as plain jane as can be. Who the fuck does metroidvania / exploration and have each chest give stupid fucking skins for your lightsaber. What a waste of fucking time
fat