Author Topic: Heavy Metal  (Read 50709 times)

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
Re: Heavy Metal
« Reply #360 on: July 04, 2019, 06:32:00 PM »
first saw converge play a tiny club with modern life is war and william e whitmore. must've been about 14 years ago.

Himu

« Reply #361 on: July 04, 2019, 07:20:11 PM »
Lamb of God  :crazy
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #362 on: July 04, 2019, 10:50:31 PM »
I love metal but not metalheads. With few exceptions (the bore) all of the metalheads I’ve interacted with online have been utter assholes. I’ll be going to metal shows but I’ve decided I won’t bother interacting with anyone.

edit:

Death metal really clicked tonight. I was really mad/frustrated because of life and just decided to pop in Morbid Angel’s Covenant. I was really misanthropic and with song names like World of Shit, Vengeance Is Mine, Blood On My Hands I was able to vent my life issues into the music. I had very, very, VERY violent thoughts, that I cannot possibly repeat here. But after finishing the album I felt much better. I hope that sort of release is normal because otherwise I might be a psychopath? :kobeyuck

Death metal seems good for certain situations. Like when you’re stressed out and want an outlet to vent or when your exercising at the gym.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 12:22:18 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #363 on: July 05, 2019, 12:50:08 AM »
Not listening to the lyrics. It’s impossible to make them out anyways.
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #364 on: July 05, 2019, 03:21:02 AM »
Covenant is my favourite Morbid Angel album. That opening salvo of Rapture and then Pain Divine is unbeatable and then they slow it down a notch to let you catch your breath. The way that album flows is something that elevates it to a whole that is greater than the individual parts.
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #365 on: July 05, 2019, 04:27:09 AM »

Edit:

This is about how far Death moves from their original sound by the final album.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 04:43:20 AM by HardcoreRetro »

Himu

« Reply #366 on: July 05, 2019, 04:15:16 PM »
Can’t believe I listen to satanists now like it ain’t no thing. Or if they’re not satanist they have pagan esque content. I went in scared but truly conquered my fears. :rock
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #367 on: July 05, 2019, 06:14:05 PM »
It's all so OTT and theatrical that is easy to ignore for most people. I mean, most of them are just doing it for the shock value and the ones who are serious are so...earnest, that it really just comes across as pathetic anyway.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #368 on: July 05, 2019, 09:30:09 PM »
Had to leave the show after like one song. It was my first metal show and it was far too loud. I’m positive my hearing will be fucked by this. Apparently via google it’s suggested to wear ear plugs town shows which no one bothered to mention which is disappointing. The show was also free. I’m pretty sure I fucked my hearing free of cost. What a miserable experience.o

Edit: ended up going back. The fuckers hid the earplugs at the window. Mother fuckers. Note: they had us skip the window.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 09:57:42 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #369 on: July 06, 2019, 02:41:58 AM »
I might be a basic ass mcBasic bitch here but I still Iron Maiden is the best band. This is amazes me considering their popularity. Usually what's popular is usually not as good. Not quite shit, but not as good. But their musicianship, song writing just appeal to me more than other bands. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son was incredible. This might be one of the best runs in music I've seen. They ran the entire fucking decade.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 02:54:04 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #370 on: July 06, 2019, 03:31:07 AM »
Metal fans have always rewarded quality over hype. Hyped bands have always had exceedingly short runs. I guess people don't get into metal because it's fashionable.
Spud

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #371 on: July 06, 2019, 04:45:54 AM »

Have a nice song about earth pollution.

An actual Pagan song, sung in Dutch. (loved folk metal when I was younger.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:56:19 AM by HardcoreRetro »

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #372 on: July 06, 2019, 08:39:19 AM »
ghost got pretty big. they're alright in a synth goth pop metal way.

skullstorm

« Reply #373 on: July 06, 2019, 11:33:24 AM »
Had to leave the show after like one song. It was my first metal show and it was far too loud. I’m positive my hearing will be fucked by this. Apparently via google it’s suggested to wear ear plugs town shows which no one bothered to mention which is disappointing. The show was also free. I’m pretty sure I fucked my hearing free of cost. What a miserable experience.o

Edit: ended up going back. The fuckers hid the earplugs at the window. Mother fuckers. Note: they had us skip the window.

I find it incredible you didn't realize metal of all genres would be loud live :lol

But then again I bring earplugs to every single gig I go to, regardless of genre (well maybe not some acoustic folk shit). I don't want that tinnitus, sometimes my ears ring a bit and I'd go nuts if it was nonstop. Shouldn't have been edgy as a teen and go to some gigs without plugs just because I didn't want to look lame  ::)

Himu

« Reply #374 on: July 06, 2019, 12:37:14 PM »
I’ve been to plenty of live shows and none were that loud. It was a small, dinky room and the distinguished mentally-challenged fellows were playing at max. Made me never want to support an amateur band ever again.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #375 on: July 06, 2019, 05:06:31 PM »
Metal fans have always rewarded quality over hype. Hyped bands have always had exceedingly short runs. I guess people don't get into metal because it's fashionable.

I love me some metalhead elitism and chest beating but no, not really. NuMetal was completely trash and I still run into metalheads who love them some System Of A Down, Korn, Disturbed and all that garbage. It's more like with time, good popular acts continue to stick out while the majority of what was popular but very flavor of the month phases out. Nobody listens to MC Hammer or Vanilla Ice unless it's some sort of joke while everybody holds a lot of respect and admiration for Wu-Tang Clan 25 years later, a group that sold considerably less but was still very popular then.

It's not exactly a genre specific thing, or even medium specific thing. Metal's last real mainstream success acts were what? Avenged Sevenfold and Five Finger Death Punch (obligatory :yuck to both)? With Rock as whole on some mainstream downturn for the past 7 or so years I'm not sure who would count as mainstream within metal as far as newer acts go so it's harder to gauge at the moment. But it really isn't as simple as "these certain fans reward quality more than others" cause it's never true whoever you're applying it to.

Lots of metalheads online have suggested the following bands to me:

Slipknot
Korn
Linkin Park
Marilyn Manson
Dragonforce
IYKYK

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #376 on: July 06, 2019, 05:26:38 PM »
 :nope

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #377 on: July 06, 2019, 06:12:06 PM »
Iowa is a good album, still listen to it every once in a while. Rest is a big yikes

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #378 on: July 07, 2019, 09:35:09 AM »

Slipknot
Korn
Linkin Park
Marilyn Manson
Dragonforce

Tell them to kill themselves.

Himu

« Reply #379 on: July 07, 2019, 10:44:56 AM »

Slipknot
Korn
Linkin Park
Marilyn Manson
Dragonforce

Also:

Nightwish
Dream Theater
Some others

I can’t judge too harshly because I liked SoaD when I was like 15 and Linkin Park helped me slowly accept I liked the sound of metal. I really hope they were teens.

Also as a teen I loved this song.

If they’re not teens I won’t judge them.

Teens have the worse taste in music.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 10:49:23 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #380 on: July 07, 2019, 11:08:21 AM »
Converge show as decent. Behemoth was also pretty fun, despite not being very into the music.

The Armed however did probably the best show I've ever went to, which I thought would never be topped from a few Dillinger shows. The pure chaos was amazing, do yourself a favor and go if they ever come around your parts.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #381 on: July 08, 2019, 06:26:46 AM »
For some the Behemoth show was more than just fun

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/07/couple-oral-sex-behemoth-concert/ saw this the other day. what a weird time.

« Reply #382 on: July 08, 2019, 11:37:38 AM »

Slipknot
Korn
Linkin Park
Marilyn Manson
Dragonforce

Also:

Nightwish
Dream Theater
Some others

I can’t judge too harshly because I liked SoaD when I was like 15 and Linkin Park helped me slowly accept I liked the sound of metal. I really hope they were teens.

Also as a teen I loved this song.

If they’re not teens I won’t judge them.

Teens have the worse taste in music.

Hey, nightwish and dream theater are great.  Don't hate on them.  I tend to like prog / power metal with melodic vocals, and a european feel, but there's some canadian/american stuff in here too.  Devin Townsend is especially good if you're into more avante garde kinda stuff.

I'll toss out a few other recommendations:

Darkwater

Nightingale

Riverside

Redemption

Devin Townsend

Pagan's Mind

Circus Maximus

Elvenking

Kamelot

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #383 on: July 08, 2019, 12:59:39 PM »
Townsend stuff is hit or miss for me, but goddamn if this isn't a song to sing along with:
©ZH

Himu

« Reply #384 on: July 08, 2019, 01:25:01 PM »

Hey, nightwish and dream theater are great.  Don't hate on them.  I tend to like prog / power metal with melodic vocals, and a european feel, but there's some canadian/american stuff in here too.  Devin Townsend is especially good if you're into more avante garde kinda stuff.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'll toss out a few other recommendations:

Darkwater

Nightingale

Riverside

Redemption

Devin Townsend

Pagan's Mind

Circus Maximus

Elvenking

Kamelot
[close]

I tried Dream Theater. I thought they were really bad. Nightwish with some female vocalist was the better of the two even if it felt like really basic metal.

Prog seemed the worst subgenre from my listenings.

A lot of prog metal felt WRONG. In a "this isn't metal" sense. Mind, I love prog rock. I would and could defend Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Queen to my death bed. But fucking prog metal barely felt like metal. Of the prog I heard, Opeth showed the most promise. I liked them.

I'll listen to your clips though.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #385 on: July 08, 2019, 01:51:14 PM »
Like I'm listening to the first clip, the Townsen video for Genesis and it's just wankery to me. I can't think of what the song is trying to convey through emotion or if it's trying to convey emotion at all. There's too many pieces jumbled into one song with little to zero sense of progression. In order to progress to the next phase you must EARN it. Think Bohemian Rhapsody.

between the intro (Is this the real life, is this just fantasy?) -> transition piano and bass plays -> "mamaaaa, just killed a man" -> build up -> CRESCENDO with all the rest of the instruments come in -> dim -> second verse starts -> piano and bass come in alone again -> build up -> CRESCENDO

Bohemian Rhapsody washes over you like a wave. They've conveyed the songs feelings and meanings through their instrumentation. Most prog metal I've listened to puts as much into it as possible without classicly thinking about how to progress or earn its music. It feels pretentious and I have no idea what they're trying to express sonically.

For another sample of the the prog rock mentality and arguably better than Bohemian (the only reason I used Bohemian as an example here is because of its popularity).

I'll listen to the rest later and no disrespect but

IYKYK

« Reply #386 on: July 08, 2019, 02:27:07 PM »
Townsend is admittedly and acquired taste, his stuff is all over the place.  Those are the first 2 songs on his latest album, Empath.  He's definitely more of an..... album artist than a single song kinda artist if you get me?  That said, he's not for everyone.

Regarding nightwish,  I particularly love their new singer, floor jansen (formerly of after forever).  I've seen them live twice, for their endless forms and decades tours and would go again.  I definitely see an set of inspirational dots to connect from very....theatrical bands like queen (also a fan ftr) to stuff in the vein of nightwish, and to some extent townsend.

I think my favorite ones in the list of stuff I threw out there are Riverside, Circus Maximus, and Redemption.

Himu

« Reply #387 on: July 09, 2019, 04:51:58 PM »
At this point in deep into thrash and loving it. Used to not like the drums but now I can’t help bang my head like a total animal with my hair whipping back and forth. :rejoice

Also Testament > Anthrax
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #388 on: July 09, 2019, 04:57:31 PM »
Sepultara indeed :lawd
IYKYK

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #389 on: July 09, 2019, 06:01:13 PM »
I do agree. But later Sepultura  :kobeyuck

Himu

« Reply #390 on: July 09, 2019, 07:27:48 PM »

:lol
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 07:37:35 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #391 on: July 09, 2019, 09:10:22 PM »
I'll be honest. I don't blame Metallica for doing what they did with Black Album. Admittedly, I've always liked the album but listening to more thrash (besides Megadeth) I now the subgenres limitations. I said this to Wrath but once you're not mad and young anymore thrash can lose its appeal - a genre for mostly young, angry men. Switching subgenres just makes sense for creative longevity. Now, what happened AFTER Black Album I won't defend but I truly think Tallica gets undeserved ire thrown at them for their self-titled LP.
IYKYK

« Reply #392 on: July 09, 2019, 09:48:59 PM »

Himu

« Reply #393 on: July 09, 2019, 10:56:13 PM »
They lost the creative engine of the band anyway.

Cliff? Dave?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #394 on: July 09, 2019, 11:19:06 PM »
I was making my tea and thought,"maybe he's talking about alcohol." :dead
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #395 on: July 09, 2019, 11:27:05 PM »
https://metalinjection.net/shocking-revelations/dave-mustaine-was-very-pissed-metallica-didnt-call-to-tell-him-cliff-burton-died

tbh when you read stories like this you can't blame dave for being pissed. reportedly, they woke him up, told him he was out of the band without warning or second chances, told him he had an hour to catch a bus (no flight), hauled his ass to bus stop, and fucked off. They had already hired Kirk. I mean, sure Dave has an ego, and I'm glad he made Megadeth in the end, but you Metallica definitely come off as massive assholes in many sides of this story.

I'm glad they've killed the beef but fuck.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #396 on: July 09, 2019, 11:41:17 PM »
Kerry's also an asshole though.

Kirk is indeed a great guy.
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #397 on: July 09, 2019, 11:49:01 PM »

Himu

« Reply #398 on: July 09, 2019, 11:59:13 PM »
FUCK OFF LARS!!!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #399 on: July 10, 2019, 01:33:53 AM »
Exodus and Annihilator fucking rock. I am REALLY loving Annihilator especially.

Real talk this band is incredible.

I’m amazed this is a debut LP. Amazed.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #400 on: July 10, 2019, 01:43:05 AM »
Sweet Jesus what a party.

This band is amazing.

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #401 on: July 10, 2019, 04:14:00 AM »
Went to bed listening to Pancake’s suggestions.

Shit is too good to not leave a thank you while trying to sleep.

But Pagan’s Mind is good shit, pancakes. Progressive power metal, huh? I love power metal so this an interest combo. Riffs are too good. Thanks! :obama
IYKYK

« Reply #402 on: July 10, 2019, 09:38:59 AM »
Went to bed listening to Pancake’s suggestions.

Shit is too good to not leave a thank you while trying to sleep.

But Pagan’s Mind is good shit, pancakes. Progressive power metal, huh? I love power metal so this an interest combo. Riffs are too good. Thanks! :obama

Glad you enjoyed.  The albums I pulled those songs from are all worth a listen.  To double down on pagan's mind, they did a halo spaceboy cover on god's equation that is a lot of fun.  Wasn't sure what you were gonna think of the rest when you bounced off townsend, but there's a variety in there.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #403 on: July 10, 2019, 10:48:59 AM »
I do agree. But later Sepultura  :kobeyuck

Sub later Sepultura for some Soulfly

©ZH

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #404 on: July 10, 2019, 11:01:29 AM »
gojira got some joint, love to sirius

Himu

« Reply #405 on: July 10, 2019, 11:21:20 AM »
I tried Gojira. It was ok. Not my sound but I can give them another try.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #406 on: July 10, 2019, 12:46:24 PM »
I tried Gojira. It was ok. Not my sound but I can give them another try.

Not going to go through the thread to see what you like, because its fucking slow, but what is your "sound" then?

They do aggressive well but that seems to be all they have.

I listened to their whale album and the songs blurred together. :idont They have very limited sound range. They lack when it comes to song writing. There doesn't seem to be anything there with beyond the surface.

Seems like a band you listen to now every now and then, but definitely not heavy on the rotation.

They're ok.

I was told or they were listed as death metal and I tried them. Turns out they're not really death metal? :thinking

As far the sound I like I've been listening to heavy metal in order starting with Sabbath. Currently in the 80's and exploring proto-thrash and thrash. I like traditional (which includes NWOBHM), thrash, speed, power, doom, non fascist/racist black, and some death.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 12:57:29 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #407 on: July 10, 2019, 01:22:06 PM »

This album fucking knocks. It's like a horror film brought to life. Shit slaps me across my face and then kisses me right on the lips. Damn. Metal is a great genre for the concept album and then King Diamond goes and takes that potential and fucks it.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #408 on: July 10, 2019, 04:43:30 PM »
Yeah so almost 10 years ago, The Beatles 2009 remastered albums came out. A lot of us who weren't introduced to the Beatles at a young age like BrandNew, Phoenix Dark and myself listened to them. Before that, I had listened only to the Beatles Number 1's cd and thought most of the music was dog shit pap with shit like Love Me Do and I Want To Hold Your Hand that still makes me purse my lips to this day. So I gave it a shot and fell in love with Revolver, Sgt Pepper's, White Album, and especially Abbey Road. This took me on a journey to explore more rock and I got familiar with all the bigger (and smaller) bands and their heroes (mostly American blues men). Before the Beatles the only rock I listened to was Jimi Hendrix and Muse. I was a complete neophyte and knew jack shit about the genre as a black kid who primarily listened to hip hop/soul/r&b/funk/jazz. You know, "black" genres. So eventually it got to heavy metal and people on this site suggested Metallica and Megadeth.

Metallica's Ride The Lightning was my favorite. I loved Kill Em All but couldn't get into Master of Puppets for some reason. Anyways, that was my proper introduction to metal, with Metallica.

On this heavy metal journey from Sabbath to current I've finally hit Metallica. Ten years later my ears and tastes are far more open and I've revisited all of the first five Metallica records. I'll go over them later but my appreciation and love has increased even more as time has gone on.

So yeah, for like ten years I had a pretty good base for hard rock/"classic" rock and basically was one of those Metallica/Megadeth only listeners for a decade.

I'll end this post with one of my all time favorite live show videos.

Kudos to the guy who suggested Metallica/Megadeth ten years ago.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:47:44 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #409 on: July 11, 2019, 12:53:18 PM »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #410 on: July 11, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »
Not technically metal, but this is one of my all time favorite albums.

Not metal either, but this song always manages to make me laugh.

Himu

« Reply #411 on: July 12, 2019, 04:03:20 PM »
Found a great mix of Justice For All with bass and :obama :gladbron :lawd :bow

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #412 on: July 12, 2019, 09:24:28 PM »
Um. Is it normal to find other genres boring when you get into metal? Been trying to listening to Purple Rain, which I like a lot. Computer Blue is my favorite Prince song and I tried listening to it and it bores me. :( Then I popped in Annihilator and felt a wave adrenaline and banged my head. I hope I can go back to listening to my other faves. I’m not trying to come off as elitist here. It actually makes me sad. What’s weird is I can listen to thinks like funk, classical, flamenco, jazz - genres with lots of texture, and still jam to them. I listened to the original Van Halen cd and said multiple times,”holy shit, I’m bored.” What’s happening?? :brazilcry :stop
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 09:29:33 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #413 on: July 12, 2019, 09:44:02 PM »
Hard rock I’m still fine with. I can still rock Jimi, Heart, Kiki Dee, Led Zep, Queen, Pink Floyd, et al.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #414 on: July 12, 2019, 09:53:33 PM »
I popped in Van Halen and whew. I can still fuck with it. Maybe I just had an off day. But that Prince Origins cd. :holeup
IYKYK

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #415 on: July 14, 2019, 04:31:26 AM »

New single from one of my favourite bands of the last decade - Year of the Goat. If you like 70s-inspired occult rock bands, these guys are completely amazing. They are like a harder version of Ghost, without the baggage.

If this single takes your fancy, then definitely check out the last album The Unspeakable. So many great songs and the band can write a catchy chorus.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #416 on: July 15, 2019, 03:05:01 PM »
IYKYK

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #417 on: July 15, 2019, 08:40:46 PM »
I was listening to this album out of curiosity because I remembered it existed. I remember when this came out!

serge

Himu

« Reply #418 on: July 17, 2019, 11:37:55 PM »

"THIS IS ABOUT SHOOTING BLOOD FROM MY COCK." :dead

I'm on officially on death metal and I'm starting to like it.

:rock

Listened to the German thrash big four and other notable thrash bands. I'm diving time between death and power now. Polar opposites. :aaah

Also doom metal gets boring after a while. Too many rip off Black Sabbath wholesale.
IYKYK

skullstorm

« Reply #419 on: July 18, 2019, 05:44:03 PM »
"THIS IS ABOUT SHOOTING BLOOD FROM MY COCK." :dead

"This next song goes out to all the fucking women out there.. FUUUUUUCCKKED WITH A KNIFFFE"

Anyone else ever listen to the live album so that you only play the first few seconds of the songs where he growls the song's name but skip the actual music? Quite entertaining and often quoted (and imitated, ofc) in my household  :-[