Author Topic: Heavy Metal  (Read 50479 times)

Himu

Re: Popular musicians that just don’t get
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2019, 06:04:32 PM »
eh, honestly I've been so depressed about the current state of Metal, I mostly listen to backlog stuff. Thankfully it's such an abundant genre that there are still bands from the late 90's and early 2000's that I can still discover. I have so been revisiting some artists I used to rock back in the day, but stopped for whatever reason and catching up on their newer stuff I haven't heard. Theory In Practice and Pestilence are two examples.

I went through a big Finnish melo-death phase in the past year, I saw Wolfheart (they opened for Swallow the Sun) a couple of months ago in an embarrassingly tiny venue. They were great.

Lately I've been super into Coroner, a band I've always been aware of but have not given a chance until latrly once my tastes matured to their current state. Really great thrash riffing, reminiscent of RIP era Dave Mustaine, and fantastic lead playing which is rare for old school thrash bands.

This Krypts band is pretty good stuff!

I asked Danti this a while back. I don’t know where to start with metal. I find electronic less intimidating. Probably because I grew into that genre.

I know the Metallica’s, the Megadeth’s, the Black Sabbath’s and that’s about it.

I’ve been wanting to get into the genre but I don’t know where to start.
IYKYK

Propagandhim

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2019, 06:13:42 PM »
Queen and Radiohead are my top 2

I can appreciate that Freddy Mercury is a master class singer, but Queen songs are the most obnoxious shit on the planet.   

Die.

We had an analogous thread regarding popular films and I got reamed out for thinking Mel Brooks movies aren't funny.  Go watch Space Balls again and tell me if it doesn't sound like an Open Mic in Borough Park with a giant dad muttering off from his dollar store jokebook. TRASH.

Himu

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2019, 06:15:49 PM »
Blazing Saddles is an American classic
IYKYK

Propagandhim

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2019, 06:17:01 PM »
Blazing Saddles is an American classic

That's the only one I haven't seen

GENIUS

Himu

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2019, 06:23:13 PM »
Watch Blazing Saddles. It’s an incredible satire on race relations in America.

Most comedy movies aren’t funny. The ones that are? Truly rare.

I prefer 1930’s comedies to most famous modern comedy like Caddyshack.

Tv comedy also has a better track record. I don’t know what it is about comedy and movies. Harder to pull off.

IYKYK

Propagandhim

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2019, 06:24:16 PM »
That's a good point, but movies like Space Balls and The Producers (And Robin Hood to a lesser extent) are so schlocky and dense with "ya get it?" nudges that it completely ruins the entertainment beyond the comedy aspect.  I will check out Blazing Saddles and report in.

nudemacusers

« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2019, 06:54:19 PM »
Imagine dragons. Awful.
deftones and nine inch nails is two bands, that i absolutely just don't understand, that people i share music taste with usually love as well
Deftones is the linkin park of the 90s.

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

agrajag

« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2019, 07:23:59 PM »
eh, honestly I've been so depressed about the current state of Metal, I mostly listen to backlog stuff. Thankfully it's such an abundant genre that there are still bands from the late 90's and early 2000's that I can still discover. I have so been revisiting some artists I used to rock back in the day, but stopped for whatever reason and catching up on their newer stuff I haven't heard. Theory In Practice and Pestilence are two examples.

I went through a big Finnish melo-death phase in the past year, I saw Wolfheart (they opened for Swallow the Sun) a couple of months ago in an embarrassingly tiny venue. They were great.

Lately I've been super into Coroner, a band I've always been aware of but have not given a chance until latrly once my tastes matured to their current state. Really great thrash riffing, reminiscent of RIP era Dave Mustaine, and fantastic lead playing which is rare for old school thrash bands.

I'm mostly the same but juggle genres. I probably listen to three or four new albums a year of whatever genre (I've heard good shit I've only heard once, but I'm not 19 anymore where I could listen to new and old shit all the time and keep discovering shit).

As far as older bands I've gotten into it's been Morbid Angel about a year ago as I found it to be pretty good for working out, and outside of that delving into the deeper discographies of bands I already like as my High On Fire example shows. I'll look into Coroner as I admit I've never listened to them, RIP era Dave Mustaine makes me want to listen to them now.

As for the state of Metal I'm not sure if hate or love it tbh. As there's clearly less of it visible compared to even just 7 years ago but there's some insanely good shit if you dig real deep. The problem is not that different from what it appeared like to me in 2005ish with the noted exception of less visibility. Too many mediocre bands choosing to be iterative while not having their own identity to make it worth a listen, too many fans sticking to their one niche which makes getting recommendations an annoying process of elimination, and no clear through line past a certain point with just how much is out there now. But I get it as digging is not something I'm all that inclined to do often so in spite of always being in the mood for great new metal, going through several mediocre to bad work to get to it isn't something I'm willing to do too often. But when shit hits it fucking hits. I found a decent channel on youtube for synth and fucking dirty punk if you're into either, if I find a good source for recentish metal I'll be sure to send it your way.

Its probably an old man yells at cloud thing, but nothing appeals to me about modern metal. When I had Sirius radio I used to listen to the metal station just to see what the kids are listening to these days, and it just depressed me as fuck. Everything sounds the same, from the production, to everyone using 8 string guitars. The whole djent craze from a few years ago really took the wind out of my sails, and this is coming from a guy who used to rock Meshuggah since the Chaosphere days. I checked out this bad Code Orange or Orange Theory or whatever, that people were hailing as the saviors of metal... and it was just garbage. No melody, no catchy riffs, annoying vocals. Deathcore sucks. Now there's bands that sound like nu metal fused with deathcore.  :yuck

The only new metal coming out that I like is by old bands that I was already a fan of, and even those are getting old and going downhill. In Flames, which used to be my favorite band at one point is the metal version of The Simpsons to me now: they have more bad albums than good. Arch Enemy, another old favorite is just generic and boring. The last Soilwork album was very good.

As far as getting into Coroner, check out this track:

admittedly, not their most Megadeth-y stuff, but the riffing in this one is god tier.

Back when I was really plugged into the scene, I would get tons of recommendations from word of mouth. Nowadays, I just use streaming platforms and their suggestions usually come pretty handy. Thanks to Pandora I discovered my favorite Finnish band Omnium Gatherum, and a host of other great bands from Finland. 

Morbid Angel, I only find some of their stuff listenable. Domination I used to play a lot back in the day. I have never been into the brutal brutal stuff, but I have always been around it. Used to go to shows live all the time. I've seen Cannibal Corpse, Cryptopsy, Origin, Aborted, Kataklysm multiple times, Nile, etc. when it comes to American style death metal.

I asked Danti this a while back. I don’t know where to start with metal. I find electronic less intimidating. Probably because I grew into that genre.

I know the Metallica’s, the Megadeth’s, the Black Sabbath’s and that’s about it.

I’ve been wanting to get into the genre but I don’t know where to start.

It really depends on what you like. It's such a vast genre that fans of one subgenre won't even fuck with another subgenre, like won't even touch it with a ten foot pole.

Do you like Megadeth and Metallica? Then you might want to check out some other bands that are from the same era and similar style. Slayer, Anthrax, Exodus, SOD, Suicidal Tendecies, Testament, Sepultura, Pantera etc. Another thing to keep in mind, which era Metallica and Megadeth have you heard? Both bands have made their sound very radio-friendly at one point, although both are back to making more or less thrash metal nowadays.

If you like that kind of stuff but looking to get into something a little heavier, more modern, more intense, try The Haunted, At the Gates, The Crown, Darkane, Dead Shape Figure, Children of Bodom, Nevermore. Usually these moder modern thrashy bands incorporate similar guitar playing and song structures but with more intense drumming and vocals.

Into Black Sabbath? I guess check out High on Fire, Baroness. I am really not into stoner metal/rock, it's not my cup of tea and I am not gonna pretend I know a lot about it.

Doom metal is another genre that spawned from Black Sabbath, but often times they have harsh, growling vocals. Candlemass, November's Doom, My Dying Bride, Katatonia, Paradise Lost, Moonspell, Swallow The Sun are some good ones. Type O Negative can be considered a doom/goth crossover, but with a lot more mainstream appeal.

If you like more melodic stuff, or less aggressive stuff, I would recommend checking out the classics. Iron Maiden, Saxon, Savatage, Riot, Helloween. If you up the intensity dial, that will take you into Power Metal.

For a metal neophyte, I am purposely ignoring the satanic-y and really extreme forms of metal (grindcore, black metal, brutal death metal, etc. etc.). Check those out if you so desire. There really are so many subgenres to metal and so much variety I could spend all day talking about it. Feel free to shoot me a DM any time, I a sure I could give some recommendations tailored to any taste.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 07:33:31 PM by agrajag »

Thirty-Ought-Six

« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2019, 07:30:36 PM »
Twelve Chairs is my favorite Mel Brooks movie, and one of my favorite movies of any genre.

Also, young Frank Langella is ridiculously beautiful.

agrajag

« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2019, 07:31:17 PM »
Oh, and if you mix a little bit of thrash, death metal, and classic heavy metal (think Iron Maiden), you get my favorite genre, Melodic Death metal. Some classic albums to check out: Slaughter of the Soul by At The Gates, Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony, and Clayman by In Flames, Chainheart Machine, A Predator's Portrait and Natural Born Chaos by Soilwork, Follow the Reaper by Children of Bodom, Haven and Damage Done by Dark Tranquility. At least those are some of my favorites.

Then there's a whole bunch of other genres to unpack. Power Metal like I previously mentioned, then there is Prog Metal, djent, folk metal, symphonic metal.

Nu metal I don't think I even need to mention, as anyone with even a cursory interest in rock music from the late 90's/early aughts has probably heard a ton.

Then there are genres that kind of sit in a weird space between metal and punk. Hardcore, grindcore and their derivatives. Some of the bands I mentioned may fit that bill. Morbid Angel, which Wrath mentioned started out as a grindcore band and ended up being one of the pioneers of death metal.

Hope that helps Cindi  :-[
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 07:36:28 PM by agrajag »

agrajag

« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2019, 07:47:04 PM »
Coroner knocks. Thanks for that Agra.

And lol dude imagine being me. I have no understanding whatsoever as to why Opeth, Mastodon and Meshuggah are revered in the slightest. But they're undoubtedly beloved bands with seminal work at this point with a far reaching influence. A lot of metal will come from a space I don't particularly care for whether I like it or not. I still find excellent work here and there, sometimes influenced by the very bands I dislike. but it was rough having those guys as the big bands as that isolated me in an already insular enclave that is metal.

I do, however, always go out of my way to check out the big bands as I believe I should be well versed in metal, even though I look less like a metal head and more like some arab dude in a polo shirt the older i get. Pallbearer were the big ones for the minute and I definitely didn't get into that not for lack of effort in seeing when it would click. That said, I come across bands I enjoy on varied spectrum of metal every so often. Funny that you bring up code orange or whatever the fuck, as they've been recommended to me and i keep forgetting to delete them from my ipod :lol

hey, I don't get Mastodon either and believe me I put in effort trying to give them a chance. And I don't love love Meshuggah either, they are hit or miss forme and I usually digest them in small quantities. Opeth I recognize is not for everyone, you either love it or hate it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 07:56:11 PM by agrajag »

Himu

« Reply #71 on: June 19, 2019, 08:00:28 PM »
Thanks guys!

I am familiar with things like Slayer and Anthrax. Emphasis familiar.

I do like melodic metal as seen in for instance, Metallica’s Fade to Black which heavily featured an acoustic. Also, I prefer Megadeth to Metallica. As much as I like Metallica (even Black Album), I’m not big on their thrash drums or thrash drums in general. Somehow I enjoy Megadeth more.

IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #72 on: June 19, 2019, 08:02:07 PM »
you should give Katatonia's recent output a try. Triptykon is a pretty cool doom band. None of this stuff is from beyond 2016 probably though.  :duh

Cindi, saying this is hard for me, as a diehard Metallica fanboy in my formative years. But Dave Mustaine is a much better, craftier songwriter than the Metallica boys, and the musicianship level of Megadeth is miles above. So I could see how you prefer them to Metallica, a lot of their songs are brilliantly written.

I am going to throw a noodle on the wall and see if it sticks. Check out Evergray. Their albums The Dark Discovery; Solitude, Dominance, Tragedy, In Search of Truth, Recreation Day, and The Inner Circle. They are melodic and accessible enough, but with a good dose of heaviness and no fast tempos. Some prog elements as well, but not too wanky. See if you like it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 08:06:17 PM by agrajag »

Himu

« Reply #73 on: June 19, 2019, 08:03:22 PM »
I’m considering hitting up Wikipedia and just reading the entry on heavy metal and listening to the music in sequence. Whenever I got into genres a long time ago I liked learning the history and all the paths and breaks and forks and learning about how they started. Helps you appreciate a genre and how it grew more. I did that with electronic and it’s partly why I prefer disco and house, because those were the original pioneering genres.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #74 on: June 19, 2019, 08:04:03 PM »
Megadeth are more punk than Metallica, and slightly jazzy in ways (IIRC Chris Poland was originally a Jazz guitarist so there's some influence there in the early albums). And from what I know of your tastes not surprised that it worked for you.

Cindi, I recommend this band called Cutie earlier in the trhead. they aren't metal, they're punk, I'm sure you'll take a liking to them.

I do love punk.
IYKYK

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2019, 08:04:14 PM »
when this thread turns into the first step along cindi’s journey towards her nsbm phase :leon

agrajag

« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2019, 08:07:42 PM »
Cindi, check out the documentary Metal: A Headbanger's Journey. It's corny and nerdy, but it will take you on a good exploration of the genre. There was also a TV show based on it, but I forget the name. There's also this funny youtube guy who does videos on different metal genres, I'll link it when I can.

agrajag

« Reply #77 on: June 19, 2019, 08:11:24 PM »
Megadeth are more punk than Metallica, and slightly jazzy in ways (IIRC Chris Poland was originally a Jazz guitarist so there's some influence there in the early albums). And from what I know of your tastes not surprised that it worked for you.

Cindi, I recommended this band called Cutie earlier in the thread. they aren't metal, they're punk, I'm sure you'll take a liking to them.

Calling Poland a jazz guitarist is generous, he is a fusion player indeed though. Sorry, music snob. Dave kicked him out of the band for being a heroin addict I think. Imagine, being so fucked up that Dave Mustaine, of all people, kicks you out of the band for drug use. I vastly prefer Marty Friedman's lead playing.

Himu

« Reply #78 on: June 19, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
What are samples of progressive metal?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #79 on: June 19, 2019, 08:14:16 PM »
when this thread turns into the first step along cindi’s journey towards her nsbm phase :leon

:lol fuck you
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #80 on: June 19, 2019, 08:14:18 PM »
Twelve Chairs is my favorite Mel Brooks movie, and one of my favorite movies of any genre.

(Image removed from quote.)

Despite being a massive Ilf and Petrov stan I've never actually seen this. :shaq2

agrajag

« Reply #81 on: June 19, 2019, 08:16:12 PM »
yeah lol just going off info I heard like a thousand years ago.

But yeah Friedman was much better, too bad he was taken in by a worse addiction than heroin: weeaboism.

Marty actually started playing metal again, his last album is pretty heavy.

I remember reading an article on blabbermouth.net years ago where Marty said he had to quit Megadeth because his "guru told him that metal had bad energy" and spit out my soda.

agrajag

« Reply #82 on: June 19, 2019, 08:17:01 PM »
What are samples of progressive metal?

this is such a long topic and I gotta run. Maybe Wrath can tackle this one.

agrajag

« Reply #83 on: June 19, 2019, 08:17:47 PM »

Despite being a massive Ilf and Petrov stan I've never actually seen this. :shaq2

The Soviet Twelve Chairs is the only one you need to see. Not the Mironov one, the other one.

Himu

« Reply #84 on: June 19, 2019, 08:22:30 PM »
tbh just post a song of progressive metal. I wonder if it's like progressive rock.

I just wanna rock but apparently metal isn't rock so I'm not going in with the same expectations.
IYKYK

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2019, 08:26:46 PM »

The Soviet Twelve Chairs is the only one you need to see. Not the Mironov one, the other one.

Thanks, not in a rush cuz Kisa kind of sucks as a character.

Which of the Golden Calf adaptations is the good one?

agrajag

« Reply #86 on: June 19, 2019, 08:47:50 PM »
tbh just post a song of progressive metal. I wonder if it's like progressive rock.

I just wanna rock but apparently metal isn't rock so I'm not going in with the same expectations.

here it even has a David Coverdale knockoff

Himu

« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2019, 08:48:29 PM »
Tried to get into metal since Brutal Legend.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2019, 08:49:24 PM »

Thanks, not in a rush cuz Kisa kind of sucks as a character.

Which of the Golden Calf adaptations is the good one?

idk I don't think they made a sequel to the good Twelve Chairs one

Himu

« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2019, 08:50:21 PM »

here it even has a David Coverdale knockoff

I like!

Cindi, I recommend this band called Cutie earlier in the trhead. they aren't metal, they're punk, I'm sure you'll take a liking to them.

I do love punk.

Maybe check out some crossover like Suicidal Tendencies.

EDIT: Unknowingly posted a weak remake so here's the better original instead.

I also like!

Really like the drums in the Ark song. Also the guitar work. Metalheads are such guitar aficionados and must be great at finger banging.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #90 on: June 19, 2019, 09:01:13 PM »
I didn't know Led zep was considered a metal pioneer. I just never considered them metal. I felt Jimi's stuff had more metal pangs to it than Zep. I'm honestly surprised because when I think of Led Zep I think blues and folk rock. Psychodelic rock feels far more of a metal influence. In fact, a lot of metal heads I know hate shit like Led Zep. I'm so fucking confused.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 09:20:17 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #91 on: June 19, 2019, 11:46:53 PM »
Hey Cindi. Yes, Ark is great and I picked that song because it is a great example of good prog metal. There is a lot of bad prog too. They really have it all. Great riffs, great musicianship (most of the band that recorded thia album was the touring band for Yngwie Malmsteen that quit on him because he is an asshole), great singing, and it's musically eclectic. The guitar player is more known for this work on Conception, which is another great prog/heavy metal band.

Himu

« Reply #92 on: June 20, 2019, 12:14:55 AM »
Started Heavy Metal: A Headbanger's Journey.

First words.

"Heavy metal rules. That punk shit sucks. It doesn't belong in this world! It belongs on fucking Mars, man!"

:maf
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #93 on: June 20, 2019, 12:18:02 AM »

First words.

"Heavy metal rules. That punk shit sucks. It doesn't belong in this world! It belongs on fucking Mars, man!"

that guy is a cringey nerd, but he does know his metal shit

Himu

« Reply #94 on: June 20, 2019, 12:18:49 AM »

First words.

Who is he?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #95 on: June 20, 2019, 12:21:14 AM »
Oh, I wasn't talking about the narrator. There's an interview with some kid in on the news or something in line for a concert.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2019, 12:23:23 AM »

First words.

Who is he?

not sure, I think he wrote his doctorate dissertation on metal  :dead

he runs a youtube network called Banger. Like I said, he also produced a VH1 tv show based on the documentary, a little more fleshed out as each episode focused on a different subgenre.

His demeanor is very typical of some metal nerds I have encountered.

agrajag

« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2019, 12:24:01 AM »
Oh my bad, I haven't seen it in a while. Probably some random kid.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2019, 12:26:34 AM »
'heavy metal rules'
Hi

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2019, 12:35:35 AM »
'heavy metal rules'

well, that was quite the trip down memorylane

luke vibert can kiss my indie-punk brownboy-ass

agrajag

« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2019, 02:01:28 AM »
Cindi, here is another prog metal song that "rocks." Some guitar player as the Ark song you liked.

now this is from their most "mainstream" album, but I'm trying to ease you into it. 8)

Himu

« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2019, 02:29:02 AM »
A big thing that always has been a wall for me with metal is black and death metal.

I hate the demonic growl shit and watching that doc didn't change that for me.

:brazilcry

IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2019, 02:38:35 AM »
Like I loved stuff like Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, Twisted Sister;etc just fine but then there’s this satanist undercurrent that legitimately scared/scares me that it just turns me off of exploring the genre. I feel then same way after that doc. Hate black and death metal! :brazilcry
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2019, 02:44:44 AM »
Heh both death growls and the demonic stuff is very much an acquired taste. And if you're just getting into metal in the middle of your adult hood, it's even harder to get used to. The majority of the satanic stuff is theatrics. Slayer, for example, always used the Satanic angle, but their vocalist Tom Araya is a church-going Catholic. Some of those Norwegian black metal bands though are legit crazy. As a rule of thumb, I would say there is a much higher chance of black metal bands believing in their crazy nonsense, and death metal bands just using it for shock value.

Himu

« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2019, 02:45:44 AM »
I like Slayer from my exposure of them thanks to Vice City. But they’re not the hardcore Satan crap I’m talking about. Or are they? :brazilcry
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2019, 02:46:01 AM »
There is also a ton of death metal that has nothing to do with satanism at all, and even black metal. There are Christian black metal bands!

agrajag

« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2019, 02:47:05 AM »
I like Slayer. But they’re not the hardcore Satan crap I’m talking about.

Sure, they were only the precursor that inspired a lot of that stuff.

Himu

« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2019, 02:48:29 AM »
There is also a ton of death metal that has nothing to do with satanism at all, and even black metal. There are Christian black metal bands!

Thank God

*does sign of the cross*
IYKYK

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2019, 02:51:55 AM »
you get used to treating harsh vocals like they’re just another instrument

agrajag

« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2019, 02:51:57 AM »
maybe check out some melodic death metal? I mean, the vocals will still be a deal breaker for you, but literally none of the bands I listen to base their lyrical content on the satanist shit

agrajag

« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2019, 02:52:58 AM »
Oh Cindi metal subgenres are such a fucking rabbit hole. There even is such a thing as shoegaze black metal.

Himu

« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2019, 02:57:31 AM »
Oh Cindi metal subgenres are such a fucking rabbit hole. There even is such a thing as shoegaze black metal.

Lmao WHAT

Metal dudes out here like MBV?! :lol
IYKYK

agrajag

Himu

« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2019, 03:00:33 AM »
No fucking way :dead
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2019, 03:03:37 AM »
This is dope

:ohhh
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2019, 03:05:40 AM »
I might have to get into metal after all. It’s got the guitar riffs that I crave that re all too seldom in today’s music and modern rock rarely satisfies when it comes to instrumentation.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2019, 03:31:10 AM »
I got into dance music in the mid 90s

Thoughts on Goa Trance?

Himu

Re: This somehow turned into a Heavy Metal thread :idont
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2019, 03:50:35 AM »
Finding heavy metal easier to get into than I thought it’d be partly because a lot of acts I consider hard rock are apparently metal. So it’s been easier to categorize and familiarize myself with metal’s overall “story”. I’m more familiar with it than I previously thought. I thought it’d take a week of music listening to get to the branching paths but I’m familiar with all of the main key players that I’m able to immediately rush into British Metal New Wave which I’m sort of familiar with in gulps. Looks like the real metal ride starts tomorrow while working and listening to jams.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2019, 04:10:07 AM »
responding to comedy films digression
That's the only one I haven't seen

GENIUS
Spaceballs is fucking awful, yes. But Young Frankenstein and Blazing Saddles are masterpieces.

I will say I generally don't find most comedies to be funny, but I do find them entertaining so still worth a watch. I never really thought Ghostbusters, Animal House and Caddyshack were all that funny save a few jokes but I still ended up really liking to loving said movies because they were entertaining regardless. It's the same with horror movies, I don't find any or most particularly scary but I enjoy the vibe and atmosphere they go for.

Basically, I'm a robot.
That's a good point, but movies like Space Balls and The Producers (And Robin Hood to a lesser extent) are so schlocky and dense with "ya get it?" nudges that it completely ruins the entertainment beyond the comedy aspect.  I will check out Blazing Saddles and report in.
Comedy ages differently more than anything else. Go back and watch Duck Soup, there's entire scenes where the gag is "Harpo monologues something goofy" or "Harpo goes one way, something happens, he turns around and sends a brother to danger instead." Blazing Saddles, Airplane, etc. were targeting their moments, like almost all comedy.

Look at something like Seinfeld, if you strip away the characters, which is what made it timeless, all the rest of the comedy falls pretty flat just a few decades later. (Look at all the GAF threads that happened regularly with "I don't get Seinfeld" or the tired pointing out how cell phones make the plots fall apart)

It can be very very very hard to go back and watch these because you simply can't suspend disbelief for them. You can suspend disbelief for a thriller, or a horror movie or a sci-fi movie and get over the special effects. You can do it for a film noir and get past the hacky dialogue. You can "get" the analogies of something like Star Trek and appreciate it for what it meant. Comedy operates on different levels.

Some Like It Hot was for a long time considered the greatest comedic film of all time. It's based around a single gag. That you've probably seen a hundred times already everywhere else. You've probably even seen better versions of it.

It's like being a kid and somebody tells you a simple joke and it's hilarious. Then thirty years later nobody could tell you that joke for the first time and you find it hilarious. You've heard and seen too much comedy alone inbetween.

Robin Hood: Men in Tights is a good example. It has a shitload of jokes that are referencing things of the time it was made. When Robin says "I speak with an English accent" it's a shot at Kevin Costner in Prince of Thieves who refused to even attempt one. When they decide to "fox" them, it not only plays the 20th Century Fox score, but it's a reference to a fax, which only people in government know what that is today.

The best jokes that last from Mel Brooks' period of parody films are ones that aren't specific to the film. To use SpaceBalls, there's where they "comb" the desert. With literal combs. In SpaceBalls they rewatch the film to figure out the plot, in Men in Tights they pull out the scripts from under their seats, same gag with the fourth wall. Blazing Saddles' "the sheriff's near" is a bit more specific to the film but could be extracted into another film like those other jokes.

Plus when you're dealing with many comedy films that were popular in their time, Animal House and Ghostbusters especially are two, they've been referenced a hundred times directly. ROBOOOTTTTT HOUSE! in Futurama for example.

The funny thing about Airplane! is that it survives while the films that inspired it didn't, to where Airplane's disaster premise stands within itself it doesn't need the connection to the films that were popular. Their next film Top Secret! almost achieves the same thing. Both are arguably more successful than Brooks' films of the same era in terms of not leaning so hard into what they're parodying. You can enjoy the complete absurdity of Val Kilmer's musical superstar (and the hilarious skeet surfing obsessed songs) without getting it being a reference to Elvis' WWII movies.
[close]

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Re: This somehow turned into a Heavy Metal thread :idont
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2019, 04:21:17 AM »
Seth Rogen's Neighbors, by comparison, is timeless, and will probably be recognized in 100 years as the greatest comedy ever made. I've seen it five times and made my last girlfriend watch it three of those times.
每天生气