Author Topic: Vegan Food Thread - Meat.... More like yeet, imo.  (Read 14345 times)

Himu

Re: Vegan Food Thread - Meat.... More like yeet, imo.
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2019, 06:27:47 PM »
is there a good vegan pimento?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2019, 08:17:30 PM »
Thanks Esch.

Although not vegan related but health related, I also decided to give up alcohol entirely. I’m not alcoholic but it’s hard for me to say no to a drink. I guess it’s not true to say I’m not an alcoholic. I’m not but I’m on cusp of it. Hardest thing I’ve ever had to kick besides the internet. I can drop meat, cheese, dairy, never got addicted to cigs, but alcohol...the other week I managed to get by without drinking and I was really proud of myself. Of course last week roommate comes with beer and I forgot all about the new rule. But I managed to stay dry again this week so that’s a victory. I’ve had some temptation now and then this week but I haven’t gone out and bought a Modelo Negra or Blue Moon and that’s a real victory. Not buying alcohol is easy though. The next time someone hands me a beer it’s going to be the real test. It’s going to be hard saying no to a delicious ice cold beer but I’ve made my mind that it’s for the best.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 08:24:05 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2019, 08:46:48 PM »
Haven't gone vegetarian or vegan, but did cut out a large amount of meat (just have 2-3 turkey sausage links at lunch), cheese, and processed foods from my diet.  Replaced eating chicken or beef for dinner with a veggie burger patty or tofu but will sometimes get a meat dish for dinner on weekends.  Among some other diet changes, have already lost 16+ pounds in about four weeks so far.  Feel so much better, too- and don't miss eating meat all the time.

Can't handle Beyond Burgers, though- tastes fantastic, but makes my stomach feel awful afterwards.
ど助平

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2019, 11:28:31 PM »
Quorn is like that for me, though I'm not exactly keen on the taste either.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2019, 03:25:04 AM »
Quorn is fucking disgusting. Created in the UK, that's all you need to know.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2019, 03:54:58 AM »
You guys got any good salads to try out? Think the dressing I use, which is just olive oil and lemonjuice, is considered vegan.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2019, 03:56:48 AM »
I keep forgetting i'm vegan and eating meat : (

Starting this shit is hard

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2019, 04:10:29 AM »
Even without that shitty joke I imagine it's pretty hard, since you gotta check everything for it's ingredients. Loads of stuff uses gelatine derived from pig/beef skin and bones.

Fifstar

« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2019, 06:23:41 AM »
Esch, what are good vegan breakfast options. I've cut out all meats for breakfast for a long time, but I eat plenty of cheese for breakfast. Most vegan options either seem to be a lot of work or rely on products I don't like (cashew based stuff, fake egg).

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Classic european breakfast ;)
[close]

Gulp

Himu

« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2019, 09:48:27 AM »
Esch, what are good vegan breakfast options. I've cut out all meats for breakfast for a long time, but I eat plenty of cheese for breakfast. Most vegan options either seem to be a lot of work or rely on products I don't like (cashew based stuff, fake egg).

Classic european breakfast ;)
[close]

A bagel with avocado. Preferably a delicious guacamole.

Or a piece of fruit.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 10:14:34 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2019, 10:00:40 AM »
Even without that shitty joke I imagine it's pretty hard, since you gotta check everything for it's ingredients. Loads of stuff uses gelatine derived from pig/beef skin and bones.

This is why it’s best to go the whole foods route.

Being vegan is easy if all you do is buy fresh vegetables, breads, legumes, rice, and fruits. Don’t buy anything boxed unless it’s some spice or has only one item in it, like rice or something. Or established brands like Beyond Meat.

This also make sure going vegan is cheap as fuck. Can get a weeks worth of food at my local Mexican grocery store or Aldi for like 20 bucks.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 10:07:24 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2019, 10:16:42 AM »
Yesterday I made a new batch of curry rice.

Sauteed the onions in balsamic, added my curry, tossed that around till it mixed, put in my rice, added some beyond meat hamburger, some black beans, seasoned. :delicious

It tastes so good and is spicy as fuck. Not a single use of oil. Thanks for the tip.
IYKYK

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2019, 12:37:49 PM »
You guys got any good salads to try out? Think the dressing I use, which is just olive oil and lemonjuice, is considered vegan.

No matter what, throw in some pine nuts. It's :lawd, especially with avocado.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2019, 01:46:14 PM »
I'm into winging it with loads of stuff. Instead of lemon juice I just dump leftover brine from pickled jalapeno slices into a salad. Balance it with a bit of salt and sugar.

Tabouleh is pretty good.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2019, 02:44:04 PM »
I baked this weed cake today, first time ever baking something lol

thats vegan

What

Himu

« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2019, 02:50:27 PM »
What's the brown stuff? Caramel?
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2019, 03:12:05 PM »
It was white chocolate but I heated it a little too much (maybe) so it got a little brownish

Should still be good?
What

Himu

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2019, 03:14:57 PM »
It’ll get you toasted, so yes it should be.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2019, 03:19:23 PM »
the best cupcakes I've ever tasted were vegan

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2019, 03:41:07 PM »
Hopefully you didn’t over cook too much, is possible to burn off some thc

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2019, 04:15:00 PM »
tried some vegan stuff like hotdogs, sausages and cookies. all were the worst I've ever had  :yuck

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2019, 04:24:34 PM »
 ::)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2019, 04:25:51 PM »
indian food doe  :lawd

agrajag

« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2019, 04:28:40 PM »
you just gotta keep forcing yourself to eat it until you beat your taste buds into submission like the other vegans, filler

Himu

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2019, 04:34:22 PM »
The idea that vegan meat tastes is years and years out of date by this point.
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2019, 05:12:45 PM »
The last flesh tearer we render irrelevant shall be the one who bought the Beyond Burger. -Stalin, or something

agrajag

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2019, 05:30:42 PM »
tried some vegan stuff like hotdogs, sausages and cookies. all were the worst I've ever had  :yuck

Then you aren't seasoning it right. I've had some vegan tofu "meat" that tasted like chicken and it was a game changer for me.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2019, 05:40:12 PM »
I've never had to season a hotdog, sausage, or a cookie before  :doge

Himu

« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2019, 06:05:56 PM »
Only problem with vegan meat is that it’s really high sodium and often preservatives.

Yeah it’s not meat but that doesn’t make it healthy.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2019, 03:50:08 AM »
Hopefully you didn’t over cook too much, is possible to burn off some thc

I probably didnt do it right because I decarbed the weed and then threw it in with the brownie batter ( which did have chocolate in it )

who knows if I did it right but it didnt get me high  ???

At least the brownies taste pretty nice
What

Kara

« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2019, 03:59:56 AM »
Had the Del Taco Beyond Beef tacos this weekend. (Not the avocado ones.) They taste like their shitty tacos so if that's what you miss, then...

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2019, 08:49:03 AM »
Man i just realized pierogi with cabbage and shrooms are vegan.

:-*

Kara

« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2019, 03:46:40 AM »
https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/1147190649755701248

Doogie Howser puts his hand on the brain bug. "It's afraid," he says. "It's afraid!" he shouts to the crowd.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 03:51:34 AM by Kara »

Himu

IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2019, 01:51:32 PM »
I had Beyond Meat for the first time today (it really is a us thing so far due to supply issues) and wow it shits all over euro vegan burgers.

Can totally drop beef for this.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2019, 06:14:26 PM »
I like tasty bite Indian food pouches  :-[

Himu

« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2019, 09:50:55 PM »
At this rate, if we all truly commit to going vegan and decrease cattle farming as eating meat becomes seen as unethical on top of unhealthy, and with the threat of climate change, we might be able to get to Star Trek veganism by the end of this century. Hopefully.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2019, 12:43:39 AM »
Ok I actually found one supermarket now that stocks Beyond Meat, it just launched 3 days ago.

That said the price is ridiculous, even compared to the organic meat I always buy.

Price per kilo
Regular beef - 9 USD (8-12% fat)
Organic beef - 14 USD (8-12% fat)
Beyond meat - 43 USD

At this price its a total no go  :'(

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2019, 01:04:59 AM »
How is meat subsidized over other agricultural products?

I dont know the specifics of Beyond Meat if its only produced in the US or also in Europe.

But as far as I know meat production is regulated here with caps, and meat doesn't receive more or better subsidies then veg.

Look interesting Esch but European farming is very different I presume.

Kara

« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2019, 01:06:11 AM »
Esch have you ever had the Gardein golden fishless filet? Been craving fish tacos and I've never actually tried that product of theirs.

Kara

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2019, 01:24:29 AM »
My wife likes those.

Top 2 Gardein product and I don't even like fish. Really good if you can whip up some remoulade or some good cashew crema or something to serve with.

What have I been doing with my life.

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2019, 02:04:26 AM »
I read up a little on current subsidies and apparently the meat industry gets a fifth of the entire EU budget (24 billion pounds) support (Guardian article so a pinch of salt hehe)

Meanwhile protein crops receive no subsidies at all.

Thats so stupid.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2019, 09:21:41 AM »
I remember the situation being pretty bad in Germany.

2017: "Alright, shit's bad. We're working on it."

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/wirtschaft/fleischindustrie-ausgebeutet-auf-dem-schlachthof-1.3530747
Thousands of them work in Oldenburger Land and Emsland. They come from Poland, Ukraine, Romania and Bulgaria. They work in slaughterhouses and cut pigs or cattle by piece. Thanks to this army of wage labourers, rich Germany has become a cheap country for slaughterers. According to experts, the working conditions are often miserable. Double shifts of up to 15 hours, excessive rents for mass accommodation, grotesque fees for time recording chips, protective clothing or the use of the break room. The Green member of the Bundestag, Beate Müller-Gemmeke, also criticizes this as "slave-keeping methods".

On Thursday, members of parliament announced completely surprisingly that they would contain the grievances in German slaughterhouses that had been known for some time. Already in the night to Friday Union and SPD wanted to stop the abuse of work contracts by law and take thereby also the large slaughter companies into the obligation. The CDU labour market expert Karl Schiewerling said in Berlin that the employees were often the last in a chain of subcontractors. There were inscrutable conditions, even criminal machinations.

2018: "Uh, nevermind."

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/wirtschaft/fleischindustrie-schlachthof-kontrollen-nehmen-rapide-ab-1.4249896
Actually, a law should contain the problems. In the middle of last year the Bundestag had strengthened the rights of workers in slaughterhouses - for fear of the resistance of the industry in a night and fog action. The industry could no longer invoke subcontractors for violations of labor laws. They were to be held liable themselves. The responsible trade union Nahrung Genuss Gaststätten (NGG) spoke of a milestone. After all, controls would be easier if the working hours had to be recorded.

But now disillusionment is spreading. An answer of the Federal Government to a small inquiry of the Greens, which is present to the South German newspaper, shows: The necessary controls have not increased significantly with the law, but have even decreased rapidly. According to data from the Federal Ministry of Agriculture, the responsible "Financial Control of Undeclared Work" carried out only 233 controls in the meat industry nationwide in 2017. In 2015 there were still 445.

[...]

The government's own statistics make it clear that the controls would be more necessary than ever. A list of fines, fines and imprisonment imposed in the industry as a result of inspections reveals many hits. Between 2015 and 2017, fines doubled to 364,500 euros, and the number of prison sentences imposed in months more than quadrupled - to 356 months.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2019, 10:41:32 AM »
Eric Estrada out here converting folks to meat-less diets with books and alternatives. :obama Truly praxis.

(Love you, Esch. <3)

Mistress 9

« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2019, 04:48:23 PM »
I love Unnatural Vegan! Her arguments are completely based in logic and not emotion which was hard to find when convincing myself to go vegan 4-5 years ago. Her videos were the main reason I stopped eating meat and dairy.

Kara

« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2019, 04:53:12 PM »
I found her because she beefed with Durian Rider. :lol

Mistress 9

« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2019, 04:58:56 PM »
Lmao isn't that Freelee the Banana girls ex?

Edit: yeah it is  :lol

They had/have beef with EVERYONE back in the day.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #109 on: July 12, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »
Obviously the things I said apply to our agricultural policies all around in the developed world, especially in regards to labor conditions, but there are a lot of good reasons to play around with how much meat you're eating even if you don't buy the health research or don't give a fuck about animals. I share this video sometimes because it highlights something that's starting to rear its head (the antibiotic apocalypse)

Damn, she's very thoughtful. Really like her channel. Thanks for linking this.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #110 on: July 12, 2019, 12:01:32 PM »
don't you dare fucking mention durian rider ever again, thxz

:shaking

Himu

« Reply #111 on: July 12, 2019, 12:41:06 PM »
Is semen vegan?

No one can answer that.

Obviously the things I said apply to our agricultural policies all around in the developed world, especially in regards to labor conditions, but there are a lot of good reasons to play around with how much meat you're eating even if you don't buy the health research or don't give a fuck about animals. I share this video sometimes because it highlights something that's starting to rear its head (the antibiotic apocalypse)

Thanks for the link.
IYKYK

Kara

« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2019, 01:41:07 PM »
don't you dare fucking mention durian rider ever again, thxz

:shaking

I agree, we shouldn't make impressionable youth aware of a YouTube vlogger who says it's OK to use SPD pedals (not SPD-SL) in road cycling.

I'm a retro grouch now I don't care about that stuff.
[close]

One of his sarcastic troll videos was very influential on me when I had first given up meat even though I didn't favorite it or anything. Total jerk who probably harms more people than he helps, though.
[close]

Himu

« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2019, 10:14:45 PM »
https://www.tastecooking.com/cooking-age-deadly-romaine/

This is definitely a concern because I fucking love romaine.
IYKYK

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2019, 10:20:18 PM »
I've never trusted lettuce

Himu

« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2019, 11:33:30 PM »
Sure, greens are my main squeeze, but romaine is great for a burger without bread for instance.
IYKYK

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2019, 07:46:24 AM »
I had the veganballs at ikea today, with curry.

Was pretty good

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2019, 07:48:37 AM »

Propagandhim

« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2019, 09:43:40 AM »

Hot and Sour soup