Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| The Unknown Journey Will Continue  (Read 131798 times)

Is the demo still sitting somewhere on the Playstation Store and is Square still acting like it isn't?

Just release the fucking thing and let people try it out.
野球

bluemax

It probably passed testing and cert and is sitting there waiting for release management to pull the trigger. Now it might be that there's a specific date set for it which is tied to a big promotional thing, and let me tell you getting Sony to change anything on PSN once it is in the system/pipeline is... not easy and not quick.
NO

Rahxephon91

THIS GAMES GONNA BE GOOD. YOU GUYS JUST WANA BE CYNICAL FUCKS. NOT ME i'M  GONNA ENOY ffviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

Svejk

It probably passed testing and cert and is sitting there waiting for release management to pull the trigger. Now it might be that there's a specific date set for it which is tied to a big promotional thing, and let me tell you getting Sony to change anything on PSN once it is in the system/pipeline is... not easy and not quick.
They're probably waiting for the next State of Play to have another excuse to show us more footage we've seen for years now only to "stealth drop it" at the end.  "bet y'all didn't see that coming!... you're welcome, you thirsty fooks!"

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
when the demo is about 10% of the full game

:stahp :stahp :stahp
(ice)

Coffee Dog

We're this close to launch and we still haven't really seen anything new, just HD versions of old content, which is pretty damning.

I remember back in '99 when Parasite Eve came out and people were shocked and outraged when it took 5-10 hours to beat (it was initially promoted as the next progression from FF7) but that game seems to be mostly well regarded now in retrospect so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think if square launched a new AAA jrpg that was 10 hours long you'd have people a lot more patient with it than an attempt to take a disconnected narrative chunk of an already complete game and stretch it out to 10 hours.

Coffee Dog

god, just imagine treating this thing like a real actual individual game and not just as a point of comparison against the original

Pay $60 for an RPG where your characters do not have resolved arcs until later games that release years from now  :yuck

MMaRsu

• Administrator
But the $240 version of FF7R in 2030 will be worth it :chuckle

doubt
What

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Just wait for the complete game to hit the bargain bin in 2035 then, I don't see what the issue is :yeshrug

Raist

I was being facetious.

Coffee Dog

I flat out don't think the game will be very good. :yeshrug I don't think that will affect the game's reception, though.

Svejk

Read on Gamespot the demo is suppose to release on launch day. Lolwut.  Surely that's wrong.

Rahxephon91

god, just imagine treating this thing like a real actual individual game and not just as a point of comparison against the original

Pay $60 for an RPG where your characters do not have resolved arcs until later games that release years from now  :yuck
I don't have to imagine. I played and bought Xenosaga and Mass Effect games.

Coffee Dog

I haven't played Xenosaga, but in Mass Effect 1 basically every party member (sorry Kaiden) has a very clear beginning, middle, and end to their character arcs, the problem being that they kept recycling those plots in the sequels (garrus is ethics cop, tali getting over geth baggage) or pulled status quo changes out of their ass because their arcs were done (writing out wrex, ashley, and Liara)

Mass Effect doesn't leave a whole lot hanging. all the named antagonists are dead, shepards crew have had their demons dealt with (with the implication that the aliens are going to go their seperate ways afterward), and the galaxy is largely at peace.

What I'm saying is, if Mass Effect ended 1/3 of the way through its story, with Saren and Sovereign still alive and all the party members midway through their deals (and ending, I dunno, after that dumb planet with the big mind controlling spore monster) rather than being a complete experience on its own, mass effect would fucking suck.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 03:55:25 PM by Coffee Dog »

nachobro

• Live Más
however if it stopped 2/3 of the way through it'd be pretty good

Read on Gamespot the demo is suppose to release on launch day. Lolwut.  Surely that's wrong.

:mindblown
野球

I'm sure the game will be good, I'm just expecting it to be short and I still don't agree with splitting it up.

"But if they didn't split it up then it would come out years from now" cool, I'd rather a full game later than one limb now.

Hmm... I think that's the wrong fan angle to take in terms of justifying why they split it up. Like if I had to guess this isn't about doing us a favor because we are too impatient to wait for the full complete game in as much as I just assume that the scope is just way, way too big for them to greenlight as one product. If you were to offer me even money my bet is that we never reach the end of FF7 in the Remake series. Pulling a number out of my ass here my current assumption is that this series gets shitcanned after Remake Part 3 as just unworkable. And even with that assumption I can only assume this was deemed the path of least resistance that at least gave things a chance.

I'm sure the game will be good, I'm just expecting it to be short and I still don't agree with splitting it up.

"But if they didn't split it up then it would come out years from now" cool, I'd rather a full game later than one limb now.

Hmm... I think that's the wrong fan angle to take in terms of justifying why they split it up. Like if I had to guess this isn't about doing us a favor because we are too impatient to wait for the full complete game in as much as I just assume that the scope is just way, way too big for them to greenlight as one product. If you were to offer me even money my bet is that we never reach the end of FF7 in the Remake series. Pulling a number out of my ass here my current assumption is that this series gets shitcanned after Remake Part 3 as just unworkable. And even with that assumption I can only assume this was deemed the path of least resistance that at least gave things a chance.

I mean, sure. But I could just as easily argue that they chose a direction with the remake that would necessitate splitting it up like this. If it was turn based again (I know it wasn't going to happen) you'd probably have an easier time remaking the complete game with audio files for voice acting and new cut scenes being where most of the trouble would lie.

All I'm saying is it's hard for me to accept "they had to split it up" when they basically made their bed in trying to expand smaller aspects of it and going for a direction that would be too much for one game.

Ultimately you're not going to get an argument from me. Even trying to meet them more than halfway I think it's a bad strategy in that I've stated that I don't think that they'll complete this series unless they really nail down streamlining the development. If Part 1 is any indication of how they're going to have to parcel out the rest of the game then they're fucked in my opinion.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー

I'm a Trails fan, so I'm used to this. I beat Sky shortly after the US PSP launch and the wait for the 2nd game was torture (especially since the first game ended on a huge cliffhanger and for the longest time it wasn't even expected we'd get the 2nd due to the massive script to localize/mediocre sales of the game/the PSP fading in the US). But yeah, the subseries resolve in a tidy manner but considering Kondo (pres of Falcom)'s comments, the main Trails story is 40% done... and there's at least a 2 year lag between jp and eng releases... at this rate I'll be starting the official final chapter right around the time I retire.

Since we had a side discussion on rpg scope that I missed - what's with the demonization of world maps these past few gens? I'd much rather wander a world map than have linear connecting corridors or menu based maps... rpgs (well, games nowadays) don't really leave much to the imagination anymore in the name of "realism"...
^_^

Tuckers Law

It is pretty much the most frustrating and Square-Enix thing ever for there to already exist the perfect remake template to follow (Resident Evil 1), only for them to ignore that method in favor of a much more “ambitious” reimagining.

Like, I’m going to buy and play the 7 remake, but goddamn Square; you people used to kill it with new bangers every half a year or so during the PS1 days.  Try and be more like that, and give me an Einhander sequel!

paprikastaude

REmake style Parasite Eve  :drool

I mean, sure. But I could just as easily argue that they chose a direction with the remake that would necessitate splitting it up like this. If it was turn based again (I know it wasn't going to happen) you'd probably have an easier time remaking the complete game with audio files for voice acting and new cut scenes being where most of the trouble would lie.

All I'm saying is it's hard for me to accept "they had to split it up" when they basically made their bed in trying to expand smaller aspects of it and going for a direction that would be too much for one game.

Ultimately you're not going to get an argument from me. Even trying to meet them more than halfway I think it's a bad strategy in that I've stated that I don't think that they'll complete this series unless they really nail down streamlining the development. If Part 1 is any indication of how they're going to have to parcel out the rest of the game then they're fucked in my opinion.

I think they will finish up the project only cause they have to. I doubt it'll stop selling mid part (even though part 1 will probably sell the most just on being the first part, with whoever isn't a superfan and isn't feeling it dropping off from there) so it makes too much business sense to keep it going even if they're notoriously bad at managing projects.

My skepticism is just I feel like there’s a real danger in diminishing returns as each sequel sees the audience drop off as your potential audience is people who not only bought the last part, but also finished it. Also, we are heading into a new gen here and better hardware results in higher development costs. So I expect part 1 to do well and see champagne bottles being popped open left and right, then a noticeable but not alarming drop with part 2, and then part 3 being a real Come to Jesus moment. Obviously this is all just wild conjecture on my part, but there it is.

Rahxephon91

REmake style Parasite Eve  :drool
I like this idea so much.

bluemax

But did you play .Hack? There were like 7 of those on PS2 weren't there?
NO

Rahxephon91

I got the .GU Collection with all the .GU episodes they released.

Couldn't keep up with the original episodes because they came out when I was a young teen and I did'nt have money to buy them.

Rahxephon91

I wouldn't be beholden to the ps1 game for one.

Coffee Dog

How would you guys split it then? Note the current scope of FF7R :lol

(Image removed from quote.)

3 games at minimum IMO, probably 4 which is insane ($240).

It'll be three games with a lot cut out.

I would restructure the entire plot. I'd make midgar 1/3 of the story and introduce as much there as I could.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
I think it'll be three games

Game 1: Midgar
Game 2: Kalm ->City of the Ancients
Game 3: Icicle Inn -> Northern Crater

Obviously they have to cut a lot from Discs 2 and 3.  I think they end up cutting:

- Fort Condor
- Condensing the huge Materia shit
- Cloud's mind portion
- Vincent stuff

I also think its likely that they won't make this an open world game when game 2 comes around.  Likely fairly linear – if they can do something like FFX, I think they should.
püp

Raist

How would you guys split it then? Note the current scope of FF7R :lol

(Image removed from quote.)

3 games at minimum IMO, probably 4 which is insane ($240).

As I mentioned before, definitely 3 parts, could easily be 4.

End of Disc 1 seems like an obvious end of Remake part 2.

If they don't trim stuff from discs 2+3, then I can see them splitting that stuff in 2 parts too.

Himu

Game is gonna be good, no ifs and buts here.

It will also be hella short and a disgrace next to FF7, FF8, FF9, FF10, FF12, FF13 and FF15 worlds.

13? What world?

It already looks better than that. 13 is trash and a bad rpg.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 12:37:40 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
I’m not saying the character, just some of his story
püp

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Vincent even got his own shitty game. :lol Although maybe they will cut it and then make Final Fantasy VIIr Gaiden: Vincent’s Story.
©@©™

Rahxephon91

I really doubt they will cut anything related to Vincent. If anything he will be better implemented into the game.

Himu

I’m not saying the character, just some of his story

No way as in the original he's optional.
IYKYK

Himu

I'd expect Yuffie stuff to be cut before Vincent's as Vincent's stuff ties into Sephiroth and the character is like top 5 in popularity since the game's release.

Id like to see more Yuffie. She's a good cautionary tale to Barret/Tifa/Cid and the original glosses over her story.
IYKYK

Himu

My hope is if there's a major change that Reeve joins the party and not Cait Sith.

Cait sucks and is the Big The Cat of Final Fantasy.

You're telling me Reeve controlled Cait in Midgar while it was being attached by a weapon? What happens if Reeve has to do something like leave to get groceries? Is Cait on auto mode? You mean to tell me Reeve controlled Cait while in Midgar when they fought Sephiroth in the Northern Crater and as Meteor slapped its balls on the plates face?

Worst FF character of all time.

Retcon Cait Sith and just make it Reeve.
IYKYK

Himu

Cait is so bad that it makes Snow from FFXIII look like Celes Chere.
IYKYK

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
there's no way cait sith gets cut.  he's too weird for them not to include
püp

Himu

HE'S TRASH
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator

:rejoice
dog

Himu

Cloud, Yuffie, and Aerith. The best team. Until Aerith dies. Then I just put in Red.

You've got the super serious Cloud, the super goofy Yuffie, and the half serious half lighthearted Aerith who is a mix of both.

:jeb
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Vincent even got his own shitty game. :lol Although maybe they will cut it and then make Final Fantasy VIIr Gaiden: Vincent’s Story.
Not only is Crisis Core stuff in this first part, but apparently we're getting some of its story too  :lol

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Crisis Core was actually pretty decent for an unneeded portable spinoff, ridiculous stuff aside :idont
[close]

Genesis   :-X :yuck  :-X :yuck  :-X :yuck  :-X :yuck  :-X :yuck
^_^

Raist

Cait Sith has to be the dumbest jRPG character ever.

"So there's this cat perched on a giant moogle robot, and he gives orders to the mooglebot by yelling in a megaphone"

"A'ight, bit weird but I gu-"

"I'm not done. The plot twist is that the cat is actually a remote controlled robot, piloted by Reeves from Midgar, somehow."

"O-ok... So why not have Reeves just remote control the mooglebot direc-"

"DO NOT QUESTION MY GENIUS"

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Yeah, that's why it's cool.
dog

Himu

IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I like that it still has the goofiness that was in the original, instead of making it all super serial like most of the FF7 spinoff stuff.

I completely agree!

:trumps
dog

Himu

I like that it still has the goofiness that was in the original, instead of making it all super serial like most of the FF7 spinoff stuff.

I completely agree!

:trumps

Cait Sith does NOT count.
IYKYK

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Cait Sith or bust
dog

Himu

The only good thing about Cait is his theme.
IYKYK

bluemax

There is zero chance they cut the out of left field character who rides one of the companies mascot characters around. Zero.
NO

Raist

I don't think any major character is getting cut. Not even the NP ones.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Delayed until April to put more Polish on it. :(
©@©™

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Delayed until April to put more Polish on it. :(

Cyberpunk 2077 crossover?
^_^

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
Its a good job this game is gonna be 7 hours long so every one can finish it before cyberpunk comes out a week later :rejoice :rejoice :rejoice
(ice)

Svejk

Soooooo..... demo?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Soooooo..... demo?

the full game is a demo, amirite guys?  gottem! :rodney
©@©™

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
Delayed to add the rest of the game :rejoice
:9

Raist

Expect 2077 to release in April brehs :neogaf

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John

I gotta be honest, this game looks dumber (in an anime kind of way) than i thought.
I wonder if i'll be able to enjoy it, without nostalgia glasses.