Author Topic: How do I tell the Asian restaurant to make spicy food?  (Read 5253 times)

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: How do I tell the Asian restaurant to make spicy food?
« Reply #60 on: September 20, 2019, 02:38:35 AM »
Thai? Vietnamese? Chinese? Japanese? Korean? They all spice differently
Trying to think of truly spicy jpn / krn I've had and coming up blank
In general SE asians have much spicier food than east asians with china the exception
Which is why I say they spice differently, had one spicy Korean dish ever and Japanese it's just mild and sweet curries

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2019, 02:44:06 AM »
havent had a hand made japanese curry any better than golden curry, I suspect people are just 'hand making' golden curry  :beli

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2019, 02:45:03 AM »
The Indian curry places in Vietnam are top notch, we have a very large Indian population in SA so I'm very used to curries, but those were just next level Indian food. The problem in my town is people make food for whitey, while if you go to Durban they make it so spicy you can blast off right into space if you merely smell it, i mean like why should ordering a bowl of vindaloo be a life threatening experience?  :doge

EDIT: I'm going to a braai (bbq) this weekend and the host sent me a picture of a bag of 100 habeneros, ghost peppers and assorted poisons he's going to turn into a sauce for tomorrow  :-\

Himu

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2019, 02:55:30 AM »
That golden curry stuff.

I was so excited to try it because it’s brown and brown curry?? And then I triednit and it felt like it was gravy more than anything.

It’s okay but...it doesn’t feel like curry. My biggest Japanese food disappointment.
IYKYK

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2019, 03:11:10 AM »
you'd love Cape malay cooking, we put masala in our tea here :lol

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2019, 06:10:20 AM »
Getting bird’s eye chilies to grow

You should send me some of them when you get them to grow. It's the ones indonesian people use to make their devil's sambal. (called Rawit over here)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2019, 09:57:41 AM »
The strength of great Japanese food imo is not powerful spicing but intense care put into ingredient prep, cleanliness, and quality. That's why kaiseki, shojin ryori and sushi are best Japanese food to me, it takes that philosophy of insane attention to detail to a limit.  The more.... casual food isn't as interesting to me, though a lot of it's good too.

Shabu-Shabu is fine, in my opinion.

A lot of Japanese cooking seems to focus on water or using it in their cooking. It depends on how strongly you can "stomach" that, I guess, but I'm fine with it.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #67 on: September 23, 2019, 05:41:49 AM »
I wish I could make you boritos some of the Fiji Indian cuisine I grew up eating. Less gravy, no / less butter, double the masala, no vegetable overcooking. So damn good and fresh. It's all spice and aromatics, none of that creamy heavy restaurant buffet food.

:lawd

No butter ? :oreilly
ὕβρις

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #68 on: September 23, 2019, 03:33:30 PM »

I have a chili plant and have been making my own chili powder.  Shit is waaaaaay hot, so I make a "mild" version cut down with jalapenos.  My kid keeps motioning to have some put on his plate when he's eating, I might just do so to teach him a lesson.

:mynicca

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #69 on: September 23, 2019, 04:14:28 PM »
I wish I could make you boritos some of the Fiji Indian cuisine I grew up eating. Less gravy, no / less butter, double the masala, no vegetable overcooking. So damn good and fresh. It's all spice and aromatics, none of that creamy heavy restaurant buffet food.

:lawd
Yep. Love going to my Fijian Indian mate's parent's house for dinner. Great food.
Spud

Himu

« Reply #70 on: September 23, 2019, 04:33:35 PM »

You should send me some of them when you get them to grow. It's the ones indonesian people use to make their devil's sambal. (called Rawit over here)

sure

let's have a spicy bore club where we send each other spicy shit
IYKYK

BisMarckie

« Reply #71 on: September 23, 2019, 06:57:26 PM »
Waiting for the spicy dick pics :drool

Himu

« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2019, 12:56:02 AM »
Today was the last straw and I decided to stop going to my (formerly) favorite Vietnamese restaurant.

I go there at least once a week or twice a month. It's by far my favorite restaurant and they make the best pho/spring rolls I've ever had. I always tip well. One time for Christmas a few years ago I gave one of my waiters that I was on first name basis with a 20 dollar tip. I even tip when I do take out. A dollar or two to support my favorite place.

Today I ordered curry chicken and asked that there be less coconut milk, and more curry, and make it thai spicy. I get it and half of it is milk, it's not spicy at all. It tastes more like milk than curry. I sit there and wait for someone to come to my table. No one comes for twenty minutes. Back when the place first got started, people checked on your after maybe a few minutes after getting your meal to see how it was. Nope. When I finally got a waiter, he looked at me despite not eating my food and looking dissatisfied, and was about to walk off before I asked for him to come.

I asked them to spice it up and they kind of just gave me a big cup of chilli oil.

I mixed it in and ate it. It was okay. No one came to give me a check.

So I decided to go to the front and pay there that way. Keep in mind, they had plenty of wait staff and the place was only a quarter full.

The past few times I went they would still give me cold treatment despite being a regular. Dude would just hand over my receipt without so much as a thank you for coming. My service was substandard. My orders are gotten wrong all the time. Last time I asked for chicken pho and extra spicy with some flan as a dessert. Dude came over with a meat lover pho with extra flank. No flan. I had to completely redo my order. It's like that every time I go now and despite the fact I keep giving good tips (5 bucks or more for 12 dollar totals) they still don't seem to ever recognize me and give substandard service.

Today when I went to pay, for the first time since I was a teenager, I wrote 0 next to tip. I tip ALL THE TIME even if the service is horrendous because of the fact that black people often don't tip. Today I wrote a small note explaining that they had lost a customer. Keep in mind that this was at 4 pm on a Saturday, when they're usually full. Seems they're losing more customers than me.

Looks like I need to find a new place that sells good pho.
IYKYK

agrajag

« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2019, 01:07:23 AM »
people only endure spicy food to virtue signal

Himu

« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2019, 01:10:20 AM »

You are a coward.  :doge
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2019, 01:15:44 AM »
The past few times I went they would still give me cold treatment despite being a regular. Dude would just hand over my receipt without so much as a thank you for coming. My service was substandard. My orders are gotten wrong all the time. Last time I asked for chicken pho and extra spicy with some flan as a dessert. Dude came over with a meat lover pho with extra flank. No flan. I had to completely redo my order. It's like that every time I go now and despite the fact I keep giving good tips (5 bucks or more for 12 dollar totals) they still don't seem to ever recognize me and give substandard service.

https://youtu.be/eLzKQUHiTto?t=226
linked to get the timestamp correct, should be 3:46

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2019, 01:17:03 AM »

okay, tonguelet

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2019, 01:24:07 AM »
Sounds like management changed. That shit happens.

Had a vegan place I would frequent at least once or twice monthly, like you. Owner sold to a new one to move to another city/state. Owner makes the same food, which is good, but the service is subpar: Owner is a total asshole to customers/etc.

Long-story short: Place closed down within a year of the owner (after a 3 year celebration party where they anounced the change in owners!) sold the place.

Then like the same place is still a vegan place that got took over by new owners that took forever to make shit and lost customers to where they closed down and now it's... back to being an Indian place that the old-old-old owner bought it from. :/

Anyway, that's to say this shit happens all the time in the restaurant biz, hon.

Himu

« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2019, 01:26:54 AM »
I can't articulate how loyal I was to this place man.

https://youtu.be/eLzKQUHiTto?t=226
linked to get the timestamp correct, should be 3:46

:dead
IYKYK

kingv

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2019, 10:45:27 AM »
I bring this helpful diagram to show them how I want it.

:nsfw :nsfw
spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]