Author Topic: Worst song of the 80's  (Read 5940 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: Worst song of the 80's
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2019, 10:08:17 PM »
He wrote it in 1983 and it was recorded in 1989.  But if you want to use that official release date, OK.  Put it on the worst of 90s list.
Plus its hook dates back to 1981.

benjipwns

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2019, 10:10:17 PM »
The true cause of Brexit:

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2019, 10:11:16 PM »
He wrote it in 1983 and it was recorded in 1989.  But if you want to use that official release date, OK.  Put it on the worst of 90s list.
Plus its hook dates back to 1981.

People also ask
Which came first under pressure or Ice Ice Baby?
The song is a medley of "Under Pressure", originally recorded in 1981 by Queen and David Bowie, and "Ice Ice Baby", recorded by Vanilla Ice in 1989. This 1989 version of "Ice Ice Baby" originally sampled the bassline from "Under Pressure".

:mindblown
ど助平

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2019, 10:19:40 PM »
I also think Ice Ice Baby should be removed from the running. I think of it as more of an embarrassing cultural episode than I do an objectively bad song. Like, Vanilla Ice is the embarrassment here, and all of his music that isn’t Ice Ice Baby. Have you heard his nu metal album? Bipolar, Iirc. I have my friends, right in the wake of 9/11 too.
serge

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2019, 11:13:55 PM »
Was not was “Walk the Dinosaur”

Don’t let the cool cats singing fool you. It’s the cringiest, most try hard novelty song ever created. Soulless studio session players that did all the coke and lost every ounce of dignity or artistry they might have once had.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2019, 11:34:51 PM »
Was not was “Walk the Dinosaur”

Don’t let the cool cats singing fool you. It’s the cringiest, most try hard novelty song ever created. Soulless studio session players that did all the coke and lost every ounce of dignity or artistry they might have once had.

Maybe not?

According to an interview with co-writer Randy Jacobs, it "was an infectious sing-along with a Flintstonesque video that probably got played on MTV way too much. But even that seemingly good-time anthem had a dark side. [...] The song’s about nuclear Armageddon. It became a dance (anthem) because of the video. They connected it with the girls in the little Pebbles and Bam-Bam outfits. All the sudden it became, like, 'do the mashed potato' or 'the twist.'"

:thinking 
ど助平

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2019, 11:51:36 PM »
not his worst song of the 80s i guess but i cbf going into the trash bin. 80s billy  :yuck

You know this song is bad because it's one of the only Billy Joel songs that hardly gets play out here.

GB's #2 pick is worse than Kokomo. Koko is just bad '80s Beach Boys without Brian at the helm. It's not worse than this:

It was maybe more inescapable but it's not as bad a song.

This is horrible but the appergio playing through the song is very 80's Detroit electro...
^_^

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2019, 12:04:06 AM »
The true cause of Brexit:

lol, the only reason I know these guys:

^_^

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2019, 03:55:45 AM »
Sussudio is a decent 80's song. :hmph

It's an interesting list.  This song is on there too- I thought people loved this shit?  ???

"True", Spandau Ballet (1983)
    "True" was noted as the worst song ever by St. Petersburg Times music columnist Sean Daly[72] and The Guardian journalist Luke Williams;[68] Williams's colleague Michael Hann described the track as "dreadful wine-bar soul".[73] Seattle Post-Intelligencer critic Robert Jamieson called it the worst love song of all time.[74] The track also appeared in the Houston Press' "10 Songs We Never, Ever Want to Hear Again, Ever",[75] while the line "I bought a ticket to the world but now I've come back again" was included in NME's "50 Worst Pop Lyrics of All Time".[76]

I get the impression that some people think “I recognize this song from the 80s” means it’s a bad song. Also music journalists are shit people generally so their disapproval is almost an endorsement by default.
🍆🍆

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2019, 09:47:25 AM »

By a country fucking mile.
©ZH

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2019, 10:09:25 AM »
Madonna singing about spirituality and sucking dick at the same time :lol
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2019, 10:19:09 AM »
Pepsi Remix best remix

I think they pulled the commercial after like a day, Pepsi had no idea what the music video would end up like :lol Dead wrong, must have been some BS rumor someone told me was gospel.  >:(

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2019, 10:27:54 AM »
some things I disagree with ITT  :rage

many of these songs are just catchy BS pop.

I would posit white people trying to cash in on the rising rap trend towards the end of the decade would be the worst thing.

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2019, 12:12:11 PM »

Just for black hair madonna in the music video. Titties popping out of her nighty when shes dancing with that little choir kid :lawd

ToxicAdam

« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2019, 12:18:02 PM »
I'll never hate on Madonna. What she did to stay relevant for more than a decade is unprecedented. She swung big every time and killed it each time. Not one aspect of her talent was elite either.

TVC15

« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2019, 12:36:42 PM »

I ain't even a Madonna fan, but she's a murderer when it comes to singles. She was consistently putting out killers right up until Hung Up or so (that's the last one I found interesting enough to listen to more than once, but that may be ABBA's fault--I think Madonna may have been running dry on singles since Music). I think Express Yourself is her best, but this is number 2 or 3. It's a fun pop song that makes you want to move. Also, the song is a fun cultural piece because it has fun controversy attached to it--makes the whole package, the song, video, controversy, a nice encapsulation of the fun bits of Madonna.

Not a big fan but I did almost buy a copy of her early 90s coffee table book Sex a few months back, but it's pricy and out of print and it appears to be a mess sorting out the differences between all the international versions. The Japanese version I think was cheapest (maybe even sub 100 bucks), but do they edit out/pixelate nudity in books that are meant for adults in Japan? I'm mentioning Sex because there's nude intimate photos of Madonna with fellow bad music nominee Vanilla Ice in it as they were dating at the time.

But I mainly want the book so I can be a small part of the classic SNL sketch that had Phil Hartman as Charlton Heston reading the book-on-tape version of it.
serge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2019, 12:36:50 PM »
some things I disagree with ITT  :rage

many of these songs are just catchy BS pop.

I would posit white people trying to cash in on the rising rap trend towards the end of the decade would be the worst thing.

Did DJ Sven turn into Gerard Butler?  :thinking
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2019, 12:37:20 PM »
kokomo the worst song of the 80s and hey mickey the best? :kobeyuck your list blows

TVC15

« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2019, 12:43:23 PM »
kokomo the worst song of the 80s and hey mickey the best? :kobeyuck your list blows

Am I mistaken or are you implying Kokomo is a better song than Mickey?

Hahaha, awesome Mickey anecdote:

Rock critic Robert Christgau commented on the perceived 'obscene' content of the lyric "So come on and give it to me / Any way you can / Any way you want to do it / I'll take it like a man". Christgau wrote in a review at the time that Basil "was the only woman ever to offer to take it up the ass on Top 40 radio." However, Basil adamantly denies this: "NO! That's ridiculous. People read shit into everything. It's not about anything dirty. You change the name from boy to girl" — i.e., from "Mickey" to "Kitty" — "and they read anything they want into it! When it's a guy singing about a girl, it's a sweet line. But when a girl sings it, it must mean butt-fucking! This is how the wrong foot gets cut off when the doc wheels you into the E.R. Then it's Micky Dolenz and butt-fucking."
serge

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2019, 01:19:00 PM »
they are both shit

Leadbelly

« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2019, 01:35:52 PM »

skullstorm

« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2019, 01:41:20 PM »
I guess I'm young enough (lol) or too uncultured that I haven't heard most songs in this thread but here's my absolutely most hated 80s song:

A local oldies radio station plays that crap all the time and apparently everyone thinks it's a good song. I just get an urge to kill everytime I hear it.

Nuitangg

« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2019, 01:45:19 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2019, 02:13:06 PM »
I love how Bobby is decidedly unhappy in that YT thumbnail/preview pic.
ど助平

ToxicAdam

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2019, 03:05:23 PM »

who the fuck drinks cherry wine?

TVC15

« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2019, 03:47:31 PM »
I guess I'm young enough (lol) or too uncultured that I haven't heard most songs in this thread but here's my absolutely most hated 80s song:

A local oldies radio station plays that crap all the time and apparently everyone thinks it's a good song. I just get an urge to kill everytime I hear it.

I’d give this a pass for being from a musical. Different standards. I can see it working in the context of a musical. The camp of it is a bonus there.
serge

BisMarckie

« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2019, 06:26:06 PM »

There will be a poll to determine the official worst song of the 80‘s. :bolo

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2019, 06:36:24 PM »
don't number your list if you don't want people thinking it's ranked :bolo

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2019, 06:36:55 PM »
by people i mean me :bolo

BisMarckie

« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2019, 06:40:10 PM »
It‘s ranked, I will give people 10 poll options following my completely arbitrary scientific reasoning :bolo

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2019, 08:10:09 PM »

A classic italo track, love it.
^_^

BisMarckie

« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2019, 08:11:38 PM »
The worst part about starting this thread is that I can’t get Kokomo out of my head today.  :existential

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2019, 08:13:23 PM »
Anyway the real answer is Mr Roboto

bdoughty

« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2019, 08:29:25 PM »
Two pages in and this is not listed?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2019, 08:33:29 PM »
Two pages in and this is not listed?

:trash

How the fuck is that the worst? This is what I meant earlier when people think “I remember this song from the 80s so therefore it’s bad”
🍆🍆

BisMarckie

« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2019, 08:35:31 PM »
Party all the time is a fine, fun song. It is no Boogie in your Butt, but what is really?

I don’t think Mr Roboto qualifies either to be among the top 10, it is too long and not that good, but it’s at least unique.

bdoughty

« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2019, 08:54:53 PM »
Party all the time is a fine, fun song.

Rick James - It's enough to drive a man to smoke crack.  Aries spears just nailed Eddie on the skit.

How about Safety Dance? Even the bands name was awful.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 09:00:40 PM by bdoughty »

ToxicAdam

« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2019, 09:03:27 PM »
If you want bad actor music, you need to look to Don Johnson or Bruce Willis. Eddie was way better.

Skip to the middle and listen to this shit.

BisMarckie

« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2019, 09:05:52 PM »
The Safety Dance is a good, fun and completely inoffensive song. :bolo

bdoughty

« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2019, 09:15:43 PM »
The Safety Dance is a good, fun and completely inoffensive song. :bolo

Welp.  :hmph

Nuitangg

« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2019, 09:16:57 PM »
Madonna and now Safety Dance.  What the fuck is going on in this thread.   :shaking

skullstorm

« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2019, 03:52:55 PM »

Just remembered this song, it's so fucking cheesy it's actually endearing. It's pretty bad but also it's so 80s you just have to appreciate it.

BisMarckie

« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2019, 06:45:43 PM »
Can't deny that it has a catchy hook though. As far as 80's ballads go there are a lot of worse and less remarkable ones out there.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2019, 07:17:35 PM »
Similarly if anyone here says Mickey by Toni Basil, I’m gonna have to choke a cool young dude.

Wow I actually dig her stuff beyond Mickey. Also I used to jerk off to the mickey music video. Something about her manic expressions did it for me.
:9

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2019, 01:31:20 AM »
Just came to me. Hands down worst song of the 80s and maybe forever.

LLEE GREENWOOD- PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN

TVC15

« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2019, 03:35:29 AM »
Similarly if anyone here says Mickey by Toni Basil, I’m gonna have to choke a cool young dude.

Wow I actually dig her stuff beyond Mickey. Also I used to jerk off to the mickey music video. Something about her manic expressions did it for me.

Watch the Be Stiff video! It’s so fun.
serge

benjipwns

« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2019, 04:06:14 AM »
from the actors putting out albums for every brilliant masterpiece like

you also got a