Author Topic: Doxxing Files |OT| Do not use a pandemic to make a platform wars thread  (Read 3163734 times)

samir

Re: Doxxing Files |OT| Do not use a pandemic to make a platform wars thread
« Reply #22740 on: August 01, 2020, 07:54:38 AM »
Also, people that talk about "black twitter", "rose twitter", "straight tiktok" should just kill themselves.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #22741 on: August 01, 2020, 07:59:41 AM »
Yeah, I realized I'm starting to get old with this Tiktok shit.
Also, people that talk about "black twitter", "rose twitter", "straight tiktok" should just kill themselves.
I read these in the Trump voice  :rejoice

Anyway, everyone knows the gamers dominate the internet.
🤴

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #22742 on: August 01, 2020, 08:06:06 AM »
People on here celebrating Trump for banning a social media platform because they think it's stupid and don't get it is the most telling thing. You realize you have just become the "ban anime and video games because they rot children's brains" people from when you were young only that it's not a dumb entertainment product you want banned but a whole social media platform with a lot content critical of the president?

Good job getting played like a fucking fidel.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #22743 on: August 01, 2020, 08:16:07 AM »
big fan of multiple sclorosis viber myself

Tektonic

• OG Cracker
« Reply #22744 on: August 01, 2020, 08:23:50 AM »
wait, we aren't talking about the song of 2009?

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #22745 on: August 01, 2020, 08:43:24 AM »
The RE administration is really good at taking feedback

https://www.resetera.com/threads/thread-tags-official-feedback-thread-ot.259806/

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22746 on: August 01, 2020, 09:05:04 AM »

https://www.resetera.com/threads/thread-tags-official-feedback-thread-ot.259806/

:neogaf
The tag team is working on this 120h per week.
ὕβρις

nudemacusers

« Reply #22747 on: August 01, 2020, 09:20:16 AM »
I'm going to be straight with you all, there has been a frankly ludicrous amount of hostility over what is essentially a minor visual change and huge QoL improvement for many users.

There's been users that have compared this to coronavirus and staff members to Donald Fucking Trump. That is not ok and I will not give such people a platform to continue doing that shit. There has, over the last six months or so, been an unacceptable amount of hostility toward a group of people who are unpaid volunteers and we will have a longer talk about that at some point because that is not healthy for anyone.

We will make adjustments and improvements, but this is here to stay. There is no turning it off. That defeats the entire purpose of it. When we finalize all the changes based on what useful feedback we could find between the outright hostility and insults lobbed by some members, there will be an announcement thread explaining all of the new features.

EDIT: Anyone deciding to continue with said outright hostility is going to receive a hefty ban.
Man the amount of self control it must be taking for b-dubs not to call them a bunch of n-words right now!

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #22748 on: August 01, 2020, 09:54:12 AM »
Tik Tok was only worth it during the primary:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2019/11/19/131894/even-if-they-cant-vote-teens-are-roasting-pete-buttigieg-on-tiktok/

https://twitter.com/kristensoulina/status/1193377123001622528

Thank you, ChiCom spyware Vine, for the teen mocking of the primary.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Only for the Demoncraps to rig it, AGAIN.
[close]

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22749 on: August 01, 2020, 10:13:19 AM »
Tik Tok of the clock is painful, all sane and logical. I wanna tear it off the wall.
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #22750 on: August 01, 2020, 10:37:06 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/if-ubisoft-wants-to-show-a-sign-of-improvement-they-should-put-the-female-eivor-on-the-cover.259884/

Yes I'm sure assault victims would be grateful for such a brave act.

Wrong thread.

That said: 80% of players played Oddy as Alexios, not Kassandra. But Ubisoft's "sexism" for "fighting putting a Female on the cover" is justified.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #22751 on: August 01, 2020, 11:38:57 AM »
wait, we aren't talking about the song of 2009?

Is it really from 2009?

:fbm
:O

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #22752 on: August 01, 2020, 12:01:36 PM »
The reason for the vagueness around staff decisions (no appeals system, no mention of what mod was responsible for a ban, no list of public mod actions, etc) is because when the forum was first founded we were under heavy siege by several websites full of shitheads who dedicate their lives to stalking, harassing, and doxxing members of ERA. Those sites -- The Bore, Kiwifarms, and NeoGAF itself -- are still around, but the understandable fear that the staff have of these sites subverting ERA's rules has spread to a general distrust of the entire community by the staff, including people who should have well earned their trust by now.

Ironically, even mentioning that these sites exist, who they are, or that two-faced members of ERA actively participate in these raids is a bannable offense under the clause of "off-site drama."

That’s because y’all stole that rule from NeoGAF, aka the other place. If you wanna shitpost about other forums, feel free to join us on the Dark Side.  :trumps

BDS posting here :donot

Superstar

« Reply #22753 on: August 01, 2020, 12:02:21 PM »
Anti-China sentiment in US at ‘historic high’, Pew Research survey finds, amid friction over trade, coronavirus and human rights

Calling it now, this will be our new cold war

:wiseau
Lol that thread. What is with the pro-chinese government moderation? Like, why? Who needs to defend China? And why would you want to?

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #22754 on: August 01, 2020, 12:05:56 PM »
So... literally... all she does is mimics him? Where's the funny? :Seinfeld

Planetsmasher spent 10 years at clown university to share the secret of comedy with era is all about 'punching up', and mimicking to a voiceover is the pinnacle of humour, as shown in TikToks and carpool karaoke.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22755 on: August 01, 2020, 12:08:58 PM »
Anti-China sentiment in US at ‘historic high’, Pew Research survey finds, amid friction over trade, coronavirus and human rights

Calling it now, this will be our new cold war

:wiseau
Lol that thread. What is with the pro-chinese government moderation? Like, why? Who needs to defend China? And why would you want to?

I'm on the other side of this, I think it's better to have criticism clearly aimed at the government rather than vague "fuck China" stuff. ERA has a bit of an history of regurgitating Nu Cold Warrior points without much awareness.
ὕβρις

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #22756 on: August 01, 2020, 12:10:59 PM »

It's weird that this is the issue that makes blame space break kayfabe right?

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #22757 on: August 01, 2020, 12:34:55 PM »
AMAB

Boredfrom

« Reply #22758 on: August 01, 2020, 12:49:23 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/if-ubisoft-wants-to-show-a-sign-of-improvement-they-should-put-the-female-eivor-on-the-cover.259884/

Holy shit, no wonder that they think that fictional women getting clothes is changing the world if they think this kind of shit makes a difference.

thisismyusername

« Reply #22759 on: August 01, 2020, 01:01:22 PM »
Again:

https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/a67bl8/23rds_of_players_chose_alexios_over_kassandra/

75% (using 2/3rds liberally) played the male. It's no wonder Ubisoft features the males.

IIRC, even Syndicate (which had a female "forced" on the players) wasn't featured on the box-art.

Edit: Oh no, she's on it:

Can you tell me which of the two women on there is the twin-sister of the one sitting in the center?

It's the one in the hood obviously, but making a joke about being featured nearly off-screen.
[close]

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #22761 on: August 01, 2020, 02:00:54 PM »
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/goddamnit-why-do-very-attractive-females-cover-their-boobs-when-flirting-and-smiling-big.1559125/

:quark

That feeling when women keep covering their cleavage when you get close to them. Happens to all of us, right guys? Right? Guys?

BisMarckie

« Reply #22762 on: August 01, 2020, 02:03:21 PM »
The masks thing is a distraction and instrument of control.

The CDC has been claiming for months that COVID would be under control if everyone wore masks. if masks are so useful why didn't that happen weeks after California's mask mandate went into effect on June 18? California is full of busybody liberals who want the government to tell them what to do. I did't see a single article anywhere that said, "California put mask order into effect 3 weeks ago - why are cases still increasing?". If anyone wrote one please post it!

Check mate lieberals :dobbs

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22763 on: August 01, 2020, 02:47:02 PM »
The masks thing is a distraction and instrument of control.

The CDC has been claiming for months that COVID would be under control if everyone wore masks. if masks are so useful why didn't that happen weeks after California's mask mandate went into effect on June 18? California is full of busybody liberals who want the government to tell them what to do. I did't see a single article anywhere that said, "California put mask order into effect 3 weeks ago - why are cases still increasing?". If anyone wrote one please post it!

Check mate lieberals :dobbs

Can't wait for all future Bill Mitchells out of that assembly line.  :trigger
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22764 on: August 01, 2020, 02:51:30 PM »
At least the "plandemic" or "its a hoax" crowd are firm in their belief that it's all bullshit and they will do what they want.

:killme
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22765 on: August 01, 2020, 02:55:05 PM »
Russia says they might have a vaccine ready by September. Can you imagine how Democrats would respond if Russia gave their vaccine to the United States and helped restore our lives and economy? Democrats would scream, “Election interference!” And the people would be like, “bro, Russia just saved our asses while your crazies burnt down our cities.”

:dobbs

Yeah a vaccine from Russia would probably be more scrutinized than from a Western source because of some bias but that fanfiction is something else.
 :titus
ὕβρις

Yulwei

« Reply #22766 on: August 01, 2020, 03:42:43 PM »
Russia says they might have a vaccine ready by September. Can you imagine how Democrats would respond if Russia gave their vaccine to the United States and helped restore our lives and economy? Democrats would scream, “Election interference!” And the people would be like, “bro, Russia just saved our asses while your crazies burnt down our cities.”

Yeah a vaccine from Russia would probably be more scrutinized than from a Western source because of some bias but that fanfiction is something else.

inject that krokodil straight into my veins baby  :shaq

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22767 on: August 01, 2020, 03:43:28 PM »
What if the Russians get the vaccine first, but they only give it to us if we elect Putin as US President? 😳 👉👈
©@©™

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #22768 on: August 01, 2020, 03:43:32 PM »
What's the age of these neogaf posters? 13?

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #22769 on: August 01, 2020, 04:22:11 PM »

That'd be hilarious

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #22770 on: August 01, 2020, 05:14:14 PM »
People on here celebrating Trump for banning a social media platform because they think it's stupid and don't get it is the most telling thing. You realize you have just become the "ban anime and video games because they rot children's brains" people from when you were young only that it's not a dumb entertainment product you want banned but a whole social media platform with a lot content critical of the president?

Good job getting played like a fucking fidel.

one of the modern blights on the internet is when you search for "such-and-such thing transparent" and all the results show the default photoshop style transparent background but none of them are actually transparent because they want you to pay them for their lovely cutout job
Uncle

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #22771 on: August 01, 2020, 05:31:19 PM »
confession... on a purely aesthetic level (while recognising the misogyny in the design)... i love this. same with 2b. feel free to revoke my feminism card orz

"Help! I like this design but it shows femoral arteries so it must be misogynistic!"

The disgusting design

:exxy
[close]

Maybe character design is about aesthetics and sex appeal can be part of that?

Boredfrom

« Reply #22772 on: August 01, 2020, 05:35:23 PM »
George Martin cancelled:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-disastrous-hugo-awards-2020-ceremony-hosted-by-grrm.259968/#post-41361180

Quote from: Incelsior
Can't finish a book to save his life but has time to wreck the recognition of people who can. 

Wha?

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #22773 on: August 01, 2020, 05:53:12 PM »
He mispronounced some names so he's racist.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #22774 on: August 01, 2020, 05:54:25 PM »

A 71 year old white guy hosting a three hour show making mistakes, did not expect that to happen.

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #22775 on: August 01, 2020, 05:57:09 PM »

He also supposedly spoke at length praising a dude who resetera branded a racist.  I don’t know the context myself but it’s more than just mispronunciations allegedly.

Clockwork5

« Reply #22776 on: August 01, 2020, 06:12:03 PM »
I’m not trying to make fun of this poster, rather I just want to point out the fact that no matter how bad things get you can always go to RE and think “well, at least I’m not that guy.”
I started on Lexapro when I was 13. 29 now and on Prozac. 16 years without an orgasm. Sure, I've never had sex, and there are more important things in life by far, but it doesn't make it much less frustrating. I've tried so many different meds. I even went for TMS therapy, and all that got me was down from 60mg of Prozac to 40mg. I just have to live with it.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/antidepressants-are-orgasm-killers.260079/#post-41357469

My sympathies if you indeed are that guy.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #22777 on: August 01, 2020, 06:24:50 PM »
He was a crusty old white guy, and also a prolific writer. In fact he was so influential they named an award after him. Should the writing community care that some people on twitter expect them to pretend his career was negligible and his influence on the industry was entirely negative?

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #22778 on: August 01, 2020, 06:35:27 PM »
The south named a fuck ton of schools and other public buildings after some crusty old white guys and see how that turned out?  :bolo

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #22779 on: August 01, 2020, 06:36:09 PM »
Were any of them authors worth reading?

Surely there's a line between putting his face on currency and insinuating anyone who speaks his name is a fascist.

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #22780 on: August 01, 2020, 06:41:52 PM »
Nah, I only like authors who can win civil wars :smug

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #22781 on: August 01, 2020, 06:43:13 PM »
Like Mark Millar

Boredfrom

« Reply #22782 on: August 01, 2020, 06:47:27 PM »

He also supposedly spoke at length praising a dude who resetera branded a racist.  I don’t know the context myself but it’s more than just mispronunciations allegedly.

That dude has been dead for decades:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Campbell

What is the benefit of bitching about someone that is dead?

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #22783 on: August 01, 2020, 06:49:39 PM »
What is the benefit of bitching about someone that is dead?

Boredfrom

« Reply #22784 on: August 01, 2020, 06:52:18 PM »
He was a crusty old white guy, and also a prolific writer. In fact he was so influential they named an award after him. Should the writing community care that some people on twitter expect them to pretend his career was negligible and his influence on the industry was entirely negative?

They should start to get mad about this stuff getting traction and the twitter nobodies enabling this bitching, is fucking getting ridiculous.

A lot of good writers were fucking scumbags, you can encourage good behavior in the community without pretending that talented assholes didn’t exist.

Boredfrom

« Reply #22785 on: August 01, 2020, 07:04:38 PM »
From the blog of the failed hack that Era quoted:

Corrections and addenda:

Olivia Waite points out in the comments that while McCaffrey was the first woman to win the Hugo for fiction, the first woman to win any Hugo was Elinor Busby in 1960 for co-editing Best Fanzine, Cry of the Nameless. So seven years.
Multiple people have pointed out that it wasn’t only BIPOC folks who had their names mispronounced, plenty of white folks did, too. As someone whose name is often mispronounced, I can’t believe I didn’t mention that.
While the convention claims to have provided an agnostic platform, at least one attendee had their Zoom background censored for showing support for Black Lives Matter and opposition to the Uighur genocide happening in China.
I am hearing rumors that George R.R. Martin was asked to re-record the mispronounced names and refused. Can anyone corroborate this beyond a comment on File 770 or a tweet?
My deepest apologies to Nibedita Sen for misspelling her name. It has been corrected.
I also managed to deny James Davis Nicoll two of his losses; he has lost four times, not two.

Meanwhile at Era:

Quote from: PaletteSwap
Also, I’m really happy the pronunciation thing is blowing out, because I always find it incredibly grating and it tends to be swept under the rug.

You fucks make up languages, use Norse and Germanic names really easily, correct misspelled Tolkien names, but all of a sudden, a name that’s too ethnic, too urban or whatever doesn’t deserve the same care. FOH.

Oops.

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #22786 on: August 01, 2020, 07:06:14 PM »
Quote from: Incelsior
Can't finish a book to save his life but has time to wreck the recognition of people who can. 

DAMN, that's a SAVAGE DUNK from someone who uhhhhhh complains they don't get the hero recognition they deserve for stacking shelves

Boredfrom

« Reply #22787 on: August 01, 2020, 07:17:15 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/matthewmatosis-the-last-of-us-part-ii-review.260133/

It's like watching the dark knight and saying "hurr why doesn't Batman kill Joker he killed his lover". it's about the morality of the character, his ability to stop himself from being "the monster" at the end.

:doge

One is a super hero film franchise and the other franchise involves sympathizing with characters that are pretty much mass murderers surviving a morally ambiguous post apocalyptic world.

A better comparison would not be Oldboy?

Boredfrom

« Reply #22788 on: August 01, 2020, 07:32:27 PM »
Why even is GRRM hosting this? What is his claim to fame? Some half finished books and an unfinished story for nearly 3 decades? Are there no better SF writers to moderate these awards?

As mentioned upthread, anyone who has read GRRM's blog would not be surprised by this. He is pretty egoistic and loves reminiscing about the writers of his time. This is the man who equated himself to Dickens, Fitzgerald and Tolkien because they had some unfinished works.
I do intend to finish A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, of course… but doubtless Peake, Dickens, Fitzgerald, and Tolkien would have said the same.
FIRE & BLOOD : On The Way | Not a Blog

As for the casual racism and disregard for diversity, again, anyone who has read ASoIaF should not be surprised.

Fandom and the book world's regard for this man continues to baffle me. Time for the new generation of SF/Fantasy writers to come to the forefront. Let GRRM fade into obscurity with his unfinished novels like he deserves.

History revisionists shouldn’t be part of the new generation of Fantasy writers.

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #22789 on: August 01, 2020, 07:44:45 PM »
From the blog of the failed hack that Era quoted:

Multiple people have pointed out that it wasn’t only BIPOC folks who had their names mispronounced, plenty of white folks did, too. As someone whose name is often mispronounced, I can’t believe I didn’t mention that.

Meanwhile in the blog post:

What I haven’t forgotten is this: George R.R. Martin repeatedly mispronounced the names of nominees and, in one case, a publication which was nominated. All the nominees were asked to provide pronunciations for their names in advance. The fact that Martin chose not to use that information is disgusting and racist as fuck, as nearly without exception the names he mispronounced were Black and brown. He mispronounced FIYAH, a publication owned, edited, and written by Black people.

What an outrage driving asshole

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #22790 on: August 01, 2020, 08:12:15 PM »
Why even is GRRM hosting this? What is his claim to fame? Some half finished books and an unfinished story for nearly 3 decades?

:neogaf

are they serious with this shit?

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #22791 on: August 01, 2020, 08:25:36 PM »
weird, whiteys can't pronounce names with different enunciation rules to what they are used to, how unbelievable

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #22792 on: August 01, 2020, 08:28:06 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/anti-china-sentiment-in-us-at-‘historic-high’-pew-research-survey-finds-amid-friction-over-trade-coronavirus-and-human-rights.259404/#post-41263851

User Banned (3 Months): Xenophobia; Prior Severe Ban

Well no shit. China is literally organ harvesting and enslaving Muslims. The country has a batshit nutter in charge who kills people for making Winnie the Pooh jokes, as well as using propaganda and secret police to destroy what freedom of expression remains in the nation. They also lied through their teeth on the COVID crisis and actively endangered lives through misinformation.
And that's before you get into the smorgasbord of human rights atrocities committed prior to the last decade. Put simply, if the west wasn't so dependent on the country's near slave labour, no country would be dealing with them.

That said, this is the fault of the government not it's people for the most part; Chinese immigrants do not deserve the awful attacks they seem to be getting right now.

Resetera mods be like:

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #22793 on: August 01, 2020, 08:29:07 PM »
I found it weird that lebron had a cameo in the little red book but it all makes sense now!

thisismyusername

« Reply #22794 on: August 01, 2020, 08:33:55 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/anti-china-sentiment-in-us-at-‘historic-high’-pew-research-survey-finds-amid-friction-over-trade-coronavirus-and-human-rights.259404/#post-41263851

Well no shit. China is literally organ harvesting and enslaving Muslims. The country has a batshit nutter in charge who kills people for making Winnie the Pooh jokes, as well as using propaganda and secret police to destroy what freedom of expression remains in the nation. They also lied through their teeth on the COVID crisis and actively endangered lives through misinformation.
And that's before you get into the smorgasbord of human rights atrocities committed prior to the last decade. Put simply, if the west wasn't so dependent on the country's near slave labour, no country would be dealing with them.

That said, this is the fault of the government not it's people for the most part; Chinese immigrants do not deserve the awful attacks they seem to be getting right now.

Resetera mods be like:

(Image removed from quote.)

Chapo's replacement reddit clone has a few "people that think China sucks due to privacy concerns/etc. are CHUDS" ChiTankies in it which is pretty hilarious.

Like, China as an entire country doesn't suck: Sure.
China in respect to it's government handling and wrongthink handling and privacy?: Sucks.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #22795 on: August 01, 2020, 09:14:02 PM »

Resetera mods be like:

Chapo's replacement reddit clone has a few "people that think China sucks due to privacy concerns/etc. are CHUDS" ChiTankies in it which is pretty hilarious.

Like, China as an entire country doesn't suck: Sure.
China in respect to it's government handling and wrongthink handling and privacy?: Sucks.

Chicoms  :nope

Chicaps :ohyeah
©@©™

HaughtyFrank

« Reply #22796 on: August 01, 2020, 09:16:45 PM »

Resetera mods be like:

They write posts like this about the US like every day

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #22797 on: August 01, 2020, 10:17:47 PM »

Resetera mods be like:

They write posts like this about the US like every day

Can't be xenophobic against America, when everywhere is America.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #22798 on: August 02, 2020, 05:47:24 AM »
OK, enough clogging up this thread. This thread is here to report bugs, not whine about this. You're clogging it up and making it harder for the tech team to use it as it was intended. It's not here for you all to air every grievance you've ever had.

As I said, we've collecting feedback and working on stuff. So knock it off, this is a minor change that we are working on adjusting.

B-Dubs having a normal one.
ὕβρις

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #22799 on: August 02, 2020, 05:56:02 AM »
Xi ordered them to tag the threads so it is easier to mine their data
🤴