Author Topic: The Economy |OT| Guess I'll Just Die?  (Read 29084 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Re: The Economy |OT| Guess I'll Just Die?
« Reply #360 on: August 21, 2020, 11:01:37 AM »
https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1296425183440445440

Wow, crazy that cutting UI benefits didn't stop people from being unemployed.

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
« Reply #361 on: August 21, 2020, 01:24:31 PM »
Democrats to the poors: Suck my nuts

New York

Residents of the Empire State will not be eligible to receive the extended unemployment benefits as Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) confirmed he will not apply for the aid.

“You cannot get water out of a stone, that is a fact and we have a $14 billion deficit, and we can’t pay for it,” Cuomo said in an interview with WHEC-TV on Wednesday.

He also expressed his disdain for FEMA, stating that “I'd rather do business with the old time bookie on the street corner than do business with FEMA”.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/advisor/2020/08/20/these-are-the-states-that-declined-trumps-extended-unemployment-benefits/#2a0c77441976
:O

Oblivion

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #364 on: August 25, 2020, 09:45:29 AM »
Some new numbers from the Netherlands

- 1 in 5 households has trouble paying their bills
- In Amsterdam, Utrecht and The Hague 1 in 3 households have trouble paying their bills
- Another wave of problems is expected when certain COVID-19 relief policies end (September)

https://www.rtlnieuws.nl/nieuws/nederland/artikel/5179229/schulden-nederlanders-coronacrisis-huishoudens-geldfit
🤴

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #365 on: August 26, 2020, 04:37:45 PM »

Watched it a bit at random but it's an hilarious, compact sneak peek at modern stock exchanges and how they're rigged, in a way.

Perfect information :derp

Edit : I mean it's not news that computers factor heavily in stock trading, it's the case since the late eighties at least... But it's insane how razor thin the margins are. And fairly telling that an actual trader was pretty oblivious to all of it for a long time in his career before diving into it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 05:10:00 PM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #366 on: August 26, 2020, 07:49:23 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #367 on: August 26, 2020, 07:56:28 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
This is it, this is the entire Republican platform perfectly captured in one image.
🤴

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #368 on: August 26, 2020, 08:55:33 PM »
but he is flying away from the moon
rub

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #369 on: August 26, 2020, 08:59:27 PM »
they never said which moon either  ;)

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #370 on: August 28, 2020, 10:12:08 PM »
...complete with the debt death star lurking waiting to blow us all up
Hi

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #371 on: August 30, 2020, 10:07:07 AM »
https://twitter.com/ElizaForsythe/status/1299370382701596673

:bow Michael Bennet :bow2

spoiler (click to show/hide)
This also explains why the GOP's so dead set against renewing it.
[close]

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #372 on: September 04, 2020, 11:30:25 AM »
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/education/2020/09/03/covid-back-school-layoffs-teaching-jobs/5638287002/

But even if more recruits start entering teacher preparation programs, they could end up with nowhere to go by next spring.

The country’s deepest economic downturn since the Great Depression has yet to hit most school districts, according to data compiled by the Edunomics Lab at Georgetown University. Fewer than a third of the 302 districts Edunomics researchers tracked had issued pink slips as of mid-August, and the ones that had gone out were often for nonteaching positions.

But Marguerite Roza, director of the Edunomics Lab, said teacher layoffs may dominate headlines over the next several months as districts spend down their cash reserves and states start axing their budgets.

“I actually think it could be as early as late fall – depending on when we get some clarity on federal money,” Roza said.

During the last recession, between 2008 and 2010, public schools shed more than 120,000 teaching positions, according to school finance expert Michael Griffith of the Learning Policy Institute. It would have been worse if the federal government had not extended nearly $100 billion in aid to schools: An additional 275,000 education jobs could have been lost.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #373 on: September 05, 2020, 08:11:24 AM »
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/04/us/children-living-with-parents-pandemic-pew/index.html

A new report by the Pew Research Center found that a majority of young adults -- 52% -- lived with one or both of their parents in July. Pew's analysis of monthly Census Bureau data notes that this is higher than any previous measurement.
"Before 2020, the highest measured value was in the 1940 census at the end of the Great Depression, when 48% of young adults lived with their parents," says the report, published Friday. "The peak may have been higher during the worst of the Great Depression in the 1930s, but there is no data for that period."
Pew defines young adults as 18- to 29-year-olds. The number of young adults living with parents grew to 26.6 million in July, an increase of 2.6 million from February, Pew said.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

« Reply #374 on: September 25, 2020, 09:16:23 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #375 on: September 27, 2020, 01:23:39 PM »
yes
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #376 on: September 27, 2020, 01:25:53 PM »
Still more readable than a Shonda chart
Margs

Skullfuckers Anonymous

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴