Author Topic: it has been nearly ten years since GTAV  (Read 10025 times)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Re: it has been nearly ten years since GTAV
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2020, 02:13:27 PM »
sounds like a concession to me. glad 100% of the thread posters agree that gta4 is ass, rare to come to such a quick and definitive conclusion.

Moar like all Saints Row Stan's wanna shove their noses in each other's asses and fart, giggling like mad because everyone's shit smells the same.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2020, 02:16:14 PM »
Saints Row stans :beli

I made this thread. I am a massive GTA fan.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2020, 02:17:48 PM »
saints 3 was okay, i never played the previous titles. gta4 was just a half step that rdr2 finished as far as a good way to tell a more serious story.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2020, 02:20:49 PM »
GTAIV really is just not that good. Barely anything to do, dull protagonist, awful controls. Saints Row 2 blew it out of the water.

Agreed, but even Saints Row 1 already blew it out of the water, with its free aiming system and fun sidemissions
What

mormapope

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2020, 02:27:06 PM »
GTAIV really is just not that good. Barely anything to do, dull protagonist, awful controls. Saints Row 2 blew it out of the water.

Agreed, but even Saints Row 1 already blew it out of the water, with its free aiming system and fun sidemissions

Saints Row 1 had the GOAT multiplayer mode where each team had to pimp their ride. Everything else was pretty forgettable, it was a stop gap summer game in 2006, a game to take a break from Oblivion, Dead Rising, or CoD2 multiplayer.
OH!

Himu

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2020, 02:27:30 PM »

Yeah Sr1 was already better than GTAIV
IYKYK

mormapope

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2020, 02:40:43 PM »

Yeah Sr1 was already better than GTAIV

As someone that takes world building, attention to detail, and how realized an open world is seriously, this post triggers me on a level I can't express. Saints Row 1 was dated back in 2006, it looked like a Nickelodeon goop town game, it played like okay swamp ass, and it did nothing for pushing open world games forward.

It was a GTA clone that cashed in on there being no GTA games in the horizon. It and Just Cause 1 lived in the same ghetto. Taking a glance at reviews for saints Row 1, most reviewers praise the multiplayer above all else. Pimp my Ride or whatever the fuck it was, was truthfully a saving grace for the game  :lol
OH!

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2020, 02:42:31 PM »
saints row 3 >>>>>>>>>> saints row 4>>>saints row 2.

Himu

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2020, 02:50:44 PM »
SR1 has much better gameplay. I played it before GTAIV came out. After the new car smell wore off with GTAIV I went back to SR1 and I was like "yeah this is so much better than gtaiv"
IYKYK

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2020, 03:26:31 PM »
saints row 3 >>>>>>>>>> saints row 4>>>saints row 2.

I can't downvote this post enough.

:oreilly

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2020, 04:42:37 PM »
sounds like a concession to me. glad 100% of the thread posters agree that gta4 is ass, rare to come to such a quick and definitive conclusion.

I'm not sure what's more disappointing: GTAIV, FFXIII, or MGS4.

Spore :mjcry
dog

BisMarckie

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2020, 04:55:02 PM »

MGS4 by far.

You are back at Shadow Moses with modern HD graphics :gladbron

You‘ll fight hordes of these stupid little robots. :goty

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2020, 04:57:41 PM »

Saints Row 1 had the GOAT multiplayer mode where each team had to pimp their ride. Everything else was pretty forgettable, it was a stop gap summer game in 2006, a game to take a break from Oblivion, Dead Rising, or CoD2 multiplayer.

i cant be bothered finding old gifs but the vehicle destructions, physics, mayhem missions, keith david, pipebombs and the mp mode made it all pretty good imo

Sure gta iv pushed the boundaries but it was also trying to be too realistic and therefore, less fun as an effect.
What

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2020, 06:41:42 PM »

GTAIV was actually a genius game, one day peons will understand.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2020, 06:44:09 PM »
OSCAR-CALIBER WRITING
dog

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2020, 07:03:10 PM »
big american titties :rejoice

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2020, 07:15:22 PM »
Asian DFC  :rejoice

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2020, 07:51:13 PM »
OSCAR-CALIBER WRITING
No i mean the story was pretty shitty, but that's a standard for GTA games.
I'm talking about the game itself.

Himu

« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2020, 07:52:26 PM »
GTAIV's final mission was utter dog feces.
IYKYK

Chooky

« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2020, 10:19:38 PM »
gta4 did have a penis in it

Bebpo

« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2020, 10:56:29 PM »
So is GTAV good?

First GTA I've really liked and I've been playing them since the first.

I always thought Rockstar was overrated with real shitty mission design and gameplay decisions.

Then RDR1 had checkpoints and better game design and was a fantastic game that I hoped GTA would learn from.
Then GTAV was basically RDR1 GTA with further improvements to the gameplay and world design, also fantastic.
Then RDR2 is that too, so fantastic as well.

I had fun driving around in GTA3 and Vice City and San Andreas and fucking around, but I couldn't finish any of them and I gave up in GTA4 in some mission where you had to follow a fucking train with a car. Shitty missions + no checkpoints just made the main story missions a mix of fun and then frustrating pain in the ass shit you keep retrying which was not worth the time. Thankfully Rockstar got A LOT better from RDR1 onwards. But who knows if they'll be a hat trick wonder now that the studio heads have left or if the rest of the employees can keep the quality without them.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2020, 12:07:41 AM »

Add FFXV to the list. Not that I had high hopes, but it's one of the most polished turds I've played.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2020, 08:18:05 AM »

Remember when they told us it'd be scientific so it could be used for teaching purposes in school.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2020, 05:09:04 PM »

Trailer was dope though

Koyaanisqatsi music :drool

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2020, 05:10:02 PM »

Fable

Dragons Age 2

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2020, 06:17:38 PM »
The ultimate irony is, Red Dead Redemption 2 is more of a sequel to GTA IV for than GTA V was. Most of the criticism and praise of IV has been applied to RDR2.

Clunky or slow, unresponsive controls (which I do love, I don't want every single game to feel the same).

Story or narrative driven above all else, everything revolving around the story's themes is reflected in gameplay.

Excellent world building, unbelievable sense of time and place.

An emphasis on more realistic approached to more gamey things.

The main difference is, people were able to empathize and bond with Arthur, love him as a character and person. Niko was a very conflicted, broken, flawed person. Not much about him is lovable.

I do genuinely believe most people don't like Niko, over him being a terribly written character. The emphasis of people saying "he says he wants to change, BUT HE KILLS LIKE A THOUSAND PEOPLE! :lol", that is the ENTIRE fucking point of his character. He is FLAWED and a HYPOCRITE, two human behaviors and traits.

If you watch all the cutscenes, Niko is painted as flawed, and the emptiness of living in Liberty City exasperated that. You're offered a choice of killing a junkie or corrupt cop, both brother's to one of your friends. The main love interest after Michelle is the alcoholic sister of that same friend.

Roman is a loser, Brucie is a loser, Little Jacob is perpetually stoned, Packie is a broken and degenerate criminal.

The entire game is a depressing romp with absolutely no hope,  with likable but fleshed out characters, depicting one of the biggest and most popular cities during W Bush era America.

Most of the criticism leveled at GTA IV about gameplay? I understand that, and on many levels, it's not addictive or fleshed out like PS2 GTAs. But everything about GTAIV is meant to be taken in as a whole. It is not supposed to be a larger than life, power fantasy experience. It's purpose is to be a depressing and cynical journey in a lively and believable world.

GTA V in so many ways felt like a game born from fans bitching and whining about GTA IV. I love GTA V as well, but it feels entirely reactive as a developed game, rather than having a strong creative vision from the start.

I've been a GTA and Rockstar fan since GTA III, I play these fucking games like they're crack. The common criticism thrown at GTAIV is generally lacking in any critical or deep understanding of the game.

Very excited to get to RDR2 whenever I do. I loved IV, particularly driving. Even if you were a skilled driver, a car chase in IV could still be incredibly challenging...and fun. Loved Niko and all his friends too.

San Andreas is the only mainline GTA I've never finished. I don't care for it which has been weird for as long as it's been a thing since it seems to be everyone's favorite GTA.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2020, 07:02:26 PM »
Michael is a fantastic character. I think GTAV story would be better if it was just about him. The old, retired bank robber suffering from a midlife crisis that gets back into the game had so much potential. Then they kind of blew it.

Michael is the only one worth a damn.

I like Trevor, but he's "le reddit legion XD!"/so wacky!!!!! character that you can't take him seriously and he's a complete psychopath to boot to where the "best ending" is pointless.

Whatever his name (the other one) is so pointless. Meant to be the Millennial fill in for GTA5, but does absolutely nothing for the plot.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2020, 08:40:34 AM »
Michael is a fantastic character. I think GTAV story would be better if it was just about him. The old, retired bank robber suffering from a midlife crisis that gets back into the game had so much potential. Then they kind of blew it.

I like Trevor, but he's "le reddit legion XD!"/so wacky!!!!! character that you can't take him seriously and he's a complete psychopath to boot to where the "best ending" is pointless.

Whatever his name (the other one) is so pointless. Meant to be the Millennial fill in for GTA5, but does absolutely nothing for the plot.
They wanted to have the three GTA archetypes in one game, and also needed a character access point in all the SoCal environment types (as far as criminal dramedy goes anyway), so in that sense Franklin played a double role.
But i agree he doesn't fit within the narrative well, Michael and Trevor are linked in multiple ways, and the game would've worked just as well, if not better, by having you use Michael the whole time, with Trevor as a nemesis; but i liked the switch mechanic in itself, it was fun to jump into a new character and see what they were up to.
I wish they had given you more strategic freedom in missions, on how to position and use, the three men team.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2020, 08:48:24 PM »
I'm glad that GTA can stay silly and they can make Red Dead the focus of their clunky life simulator stuff from now on, considering I loved RDR2 to death. Give me all the stupid, restrictive, "realism" bullshit.

Beta GTAIV had cars that ran out of gas :aah

Bebpo

« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2020, 01:36:10 AM »

I actually liked all 3 and how they played off each other. Thought it was well done.

But years later, can i remember a single thing about the storyline in GTAV? Nope, but I can still remember driving around that map and some of the fun gameplay stuff I did.

thisismyusername

« Reply #90 on: March 13, 2020, 04:18:25 AM »

They wanted to have the three GTA archetypes in one game, and also needed a character access point in all the SoCal environment types (as far as criminal dramedy goes anyway), so in that sense Franklin played a double role.
But i agree he doesn't fit within the narrative well, Michael and Trevor are linked in multiple ways, and the game would've worked just as well, if not better, by having you use Michael the whole time, with Trevor as a nemesis; but i liked the switch mechanic in itself, it was fun to jump into a new character and see what they were up to.
I wish they had given you more strategic freedom in missions, on how to position and use, the three men team.

I mean, sure. But Franklin was still pointless.

"Oh, he robs Michael's house one time and... somehow tags along for the ride."

Like if he was CJ redux (complete with following a damn train) it would've been fine. Michael and Trevor would've been one side, Franklin would've been the other/story and it'd have been completely ok. But Franklin alone? In the bigger picture? Did absolutely nothing besides be a Compton/LA stand-in and could've been axed.

Trevor and Michael could've been black or any other color if they needed "diversity" for the cast.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 04:25:27 AM by thisismyusername »

Himu

« Reply #91 on: March 13, 2020, 04:21:16 AM »
At one point in the story Franklin iirc literally disappears. Waste of a character.
IYKYK

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2020, 08:56:27 AM »
Franklin is the only character with a good head on his shoulders

thisismyusername

« Reply #93 on: March 13, 2020, 10:21:10 AM »
That may be but he's still pointless.

Tell me what he adds to Michael and Trevor's story beyond "yo, dudes, that's crazy!" and a younger (and diverse) voice.

Himu

« Reply #94 on: March 13, 2020, 10:22:04 AM »

How?

Kid uses Michael as a mentor to become a "real" criminal lol
IYKYK

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #95 on: March 13, 2020, 11:34:22 AM »

How?

Kid uses Michael as a mentor to become a "real" criminal lol

He’s still the most logical of the three hands down.  Who does Lester give the assassination/stock market missions to?  It’s not Michael or Trevor, cause Lester knows Franklin will get the job done clean and professional.

That may be but he's still pointless.

Tell me what he adds to Michael and Trevor's story beyond "yo, dudes, that's crazy!" and a younger (and diverse) voice.

Without Franklin, Michael dies at the hands of the Chinese gang that Trevor pissed off.

thisismyusername

« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2020, 11:40:55 AM »
Without Franklin, Michael dies at the hands of the Chinese gang that Trevor pissed off.

ONE (1) story point. Ah ah ah.

And really, if Mike died at the end: It'd have been better than Franklin's "yo, I'm not killing either"/"best" ending.

Himu

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2020, 11:44:10 AM »
I need to get GTAV for ps4. I've only played it on ps3. :doge
IYKYK

porkbun

• #1 Pit-Fighter fan
« Reply #98 on: March 13, 2020, 01:25:47 PM »

It's worth it for the first person mode.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: March 13, 2020, 01:32:06 PM »
When I replayed the game on ps4 I mostly played first person except for driving. Very fun, and also way more responsive.
What

thisismyusername

« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2020, 10:18:15 AM »

It's worth it for the first person mode.

It's the only way I played GTA5. #ThankYouMasterRace

Though it makes some shooting segments a little weird.

Himu

IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2020, 04:23:49 PM »
Yeah and the enhanced version coming 2021 means no new gta till at least 2022 2023
What

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2020, 04:27:23 PM »
The difference? Micro transactions...

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2020, 04:33:00 PM »
:shrug i mean it's not like they haven't created a shitload of new content in that time, it's just that it's not in the format we want. sucks but i understand.
pcp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2020, 05:28:10 PM »
I think the difference is the reality of HD game development and that Rockstar aims to be the top of the line in their world presentation.

Rockstar also doesn't seem to be the best managed company.

But it's not like other companies are also putting out plenty of big open world games this gen.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: June 13, 2020, 06:28:55 PM »
I am just getting hard with the thought of Rockstar going superhard on Next Gen with an amazing open world for GTA 6
What

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2020, 07:38:49 PM »
Yes, current generation, AAA development is incredibly costly. If you look at what it cost them to put out GTA V versus any of the PS2-era games, it’s staggering. Having spoken with several former employees, I’m also under the impression that Rockstar focuses on near-constant crunch, driven by fascist management policies.

For most players, next gen will not be as much of a staggering visual leap as PS2 to PS3, or even that to PS4. But it won’t stop R* from throwing themselves at it at full speed.

The larger problem is looking at the difference between the RDR2 model compared to GTA V. GTAO is the beautiful misstep that worked out for everybody. The publisher made money, the players had fun, everything worked great. They overthought how to implement online for RDR two, and put limits across progress, involved multiple progress tracks and currencies, and basically made it overly confusing. Every online game fucks itself in its own ear when it decides to try and adopt the free-to-play model of multiple currencies.

Watch what happens when GTAVI comes out: it will absolutely be a cluster fuck of over optimized opportunities to fleece the player with micro transactions on multiple levels. R*definitely wants to see the same kind of overwhelming revenue stream they had with GTA Online, but they’ve already shown that they do not understand why it worked.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 06:16:20 AM by chronovore »

Himu

« Reply #108 on: June 13, 2020, 11:34:21 PM »
Look. I get why it takes so long. Doesn't mean I have to like it!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2020, 12:27:36 AM »
At this point is GTAVI the most anticipated game of all time?

Nearly 7 years of build up. Unlike games like HL3 or Duke Nukem Forever you know it's going to happen. It's now the biggest entertainment franchise in the world arguably. The release for GTAVI will be massive for what is already a massive series.
IYKYK

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2020, 12:43:58 AM »
Cindi, if you really want to hurt with memories of the past just remember that they did Vice City, all of it, in under a year.

Yes, current generation, AAA development is incredibly costly. If you look at what it cost them to put out GTA V versus any of the PS2-era games, it’s staggering. Having spoken with several former employees, I’m also under the impression that Rockstar focuses on near-constant crunch, driven by fascist management policies.
Yeah, how Rockstar works as a company is pretty important as to the why side of this. The GTA III trilogy was built very differently from how IV and V were. They took Renderware and built on top of that for three games. Now everything goes through San Diego's RAGE, which they've admitted was in an awful state on their side too for many years until about Max Payne 3.

Rockstar now is closer to existing as one large studio versus back then when they had multiple studios focused on multiple things, that's simply been the cost of each game expanding. They really can't let one studio go off and do a Bully now. While also producing a Midnight Club, a GTA game AND a GTA spin-off in the same year. Each of those is now a company-wide effort. RDR takes away from GTA which takes away from RDR and that's just their main two franchises. And that's with their endless crunch. Just look at who is credited on each game, now it's pretty much everyone rather than their individual studios. If an individual studio gets separately credited it's often for something like the PC port.

To compare, Ubisoft is far more outsourced and into other countries than Rockstar last I knew though Rockstar was moving in that direction like everyone. (They opened an India studio not too long ago.) Ubisoft keeps the management in the main studios and the grunt work is farmed out to thousands upon thousands of employees at their foreign studios. Rockstar is way more US/UK-centric still. That's a huge cost added that means they can't put out a game even every other year like Ubisoft does in Ass Creed.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2020, 05:13:11 AM »
New Vegas was also made within a year

Must be such a joy when you have the same engine ready to go and you get to creating content right away.

GTA V was hugely succesfull, but then there was RDR2 to develop which took a long time as well.
The PS4/XBX/PC ports were only logical, launching the normal GTA V on the cusp of a next gen transition it wouldn't make sense for GTA to be stuck on last gen. I'm sure they started pre-production of GTA 6 after the next gen launches, but was put to the side to develop RDR2.

GTA Online has been a major succes, but I don't think that R* really fucks over players to get the best stuff you can only get with microtransactions. Because most money you can earn ingame. I hope that they understand that they need to keep a great campaign, I think they will. The online part should just be GTA Online with a new city/area and heists (?) to do. It's going to be interesting to see if they keep the current model from GTA V, because it earns them millions. I don't think they would go another route with it really. That would just be shooting themselves in the feet.
What

paprikastaude

« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2020, 12:01:55 PM »
Also remember when they had more than 2 franchises?

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2020, 02:36:40 PM »
it's cool guys, all our favorite b- and c- tier franchises live on - as cameos in mobile titles  :foxx
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2020, 08:09:16 PM »
it's cool guys, all our favorite b- and c- tier franchises live on - as cameos in mobile titles  :foxx

:tocry
dog

Himu

« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2020, 02:54:43 PM »

They don't even make small games like Ping pong anymore.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2020, 03:30:50 PM »
At this point is GTAVI the most anticipated game of all time?

Nearly 7 years of build up. Unlike games like HL3 or Duke Nukem Forever you know it's going to happen. It's now the biggest entertainment franchise in the world arguably. The release for GTAVI will be massive for what is already a massive series.

Not really since 5 is still so popular and there hasn't been any whispers of 6 ever coming along so it doesn't feel like most people think or care at all about a 6.

Disagree. RDR2 hype was a preview for GTAVI hype I think. Any time GTAVI is mentioned people pay attention. Btw it hasn't even been ANNOUNCED yet just teased. It truly feels when they announce it will be the most anticipated game of all time.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2020, 04:22:25 PM »
Never but that doesnt mean they arent working on it
What

El Babua

« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2020, 04:50:02 PM »
I think T2 earmarked their marketing budget to be 2-3x more than usual for 2023 in their earnings call. Usually that happens whenever a big Rockstar game is about to realease.

El Babua

« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2020, 04:59:52 PM »
Manhunt 3 comes out this Friday baybay  ;)