Author Topic: It's that time again, time to rewatch The Sopranos for the 50th time  (Read 6558 times)

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
lol any show with over 6 episodes per series in this era of content tends to feel long in the tooth and padded to fuck in the middle (looking at you netflix) :trumps
(ice)

Himu

This show is incredible.
IYKYK

Himu

After watching a lot of The Soprano's I have an Italian new York accent because my autism is capable of copying accents of people I find interesting. I'm from Houston and people think I'm from New York because I got my accent from listening to New York hip hop. Now I'm going to get more questions lmao
IYKYK

Himu

Yoo tawkin ta me?
IYKYK

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
How do you say 'whore'

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
ya hear that? I said, you remember your first blowjob? then I said how long did it take for the guy to cum heh heh
◕‿◕

Himu

IYKYK

Himu

Show does a great job making you sympathize for Tony and then having the realization that he's a massive piece of shit fall on you like a ton of bricks.

edit: and then thirty minutes later it makes you sympathize with him again. Jesus Christ this show is a rollercoaster of emotion.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 08:14:26 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
rooting for people on the show tho? to me it's like watching american psycho or something; a character study of a group of god-awful people living out their day-to-day lives.
pcp

Himu

I don't think most people get the ton of bricks feeling though. In the same way people don't get that feeling from Breaking Bad and instead identity with Walt and want him to win.

Tony is a piece of shit and constantly does terrible shit, however so does almost literally everyone else on the show and especially in his world, people are often even worse.

Yeah I was never one of those people with Walt. Sopranos does the formula way better. The therapy sessions go a great length to humanize Tony and make you fall in love with him. And then you see what he's really capable of and you're like,"oh." It's wonderful juxtaposition that Breaking Bad could only dream of.

BB is a slow burn. Soprano's says "this man is unholy" by the end of the first season.
IYKYK

Himu

S1 review:

Fantastic character study show. Can't wait to see where it goes next. I'm fascinated in where all the characters end up.

Best episode: Isabella
Worst episode: A Hit is a Hit
IYKYK

El Babua

The show is one of the best to rewatch.

Also, fucking hilarious too. The Sopranos is a really good dark comedy. In fact, IIRC it was originally pitched as one to the major networks before going to HBO.

Himu

I loved the final scene of s1. It truly felt like all of those people were stuck in limbo together. Even when they want to get away from each other, they can't. Utterly tragic. And the kids are roped in as well!
IYKYK

Himu

Season 2 so far is meh.  Introduces too many characters.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 01:40:54 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

Christopher is turning into the most fascinating character. What the fuck.
IYKYK

Himu

Fuck Tony

Re: ruining Meadow's concert

Fuck his sister too. Hope she gets whacked.
IYKYK

Himu

She needs ta die
IYKYK

Himu

Holy fuck. Just when I think s2 is inferior in every way to s1 and outright sucks they pull me back in!
IYKYK

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
sopranos has no bad seasons
pcp

Himu

It was hard to see where the season was going.felt all over the place.
IYKYK

Himu

Season 2 review:

Meh. A big theme in the season is that life is pointless. This is an accurate theme to describe this season: pointless. It reiterates too many storylines from season 1. Pussy being traitor, Christopher's existentialism and sense of place, Lucia being a bitch, Junior and Tony fighting for power. Big things happen like Christopher getting shot ultimately becomes nothing. Dude has a chance to actually reflect and literally disappears for half the season after. Dog shit writing. Things happen to the characters and nothing indicates a change or attempt to change. And while you can say "eh they're shitty people" this makes the show have zero conflict. So far in both seasons there's someone trying to usurp Tony's power. The whole Richie thing wasn't that interesting. Compare with the Wire and each characters conflict. Many, by the end of season 2, question why they're in this from Dee all the way down to the guys on the docks and even the cops. A major problem with Soprano's is that it has a main character. Thus, we know nothing major will happen to him. He's basically bullet proof by the plot so storylines like Richie feel pointless. Most every episode in this season besides a few felt like filler. Of the storylines only the FBI, Carmela, the therapist and a few others have any sense of weight and meaning. Carmela is the most developed character by far and at this point the most captivating. Interesting characters like AJ and Meadow and their relationship with Tony are barely capitalized on and they rarely show up in the show despite being called The Soprano's.

Mediocre sophomore season. I rate it a C.

Best episode: Funhouse
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:02:13 PM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
I won’t spoil anything, but don’t expect the following seasons to be as tightly plotted as that first one. Once Chase got the confidence that the show was going to stick he really starts fucking around with audience expectations and television’s norms in regards to storytelling.

I have more opinions on the topic, but I don’t want to influence your mindset.

Himu

I started season 3 and more bullshit.

Watching this now just makes me want to rewatch The Wire instead.
IYKYK

Tasty

:dunno I thought s2 was pretty good and didn't notice much dropoff. I have a minor disappointment with one character's storyline but for me personally it's hard to know if (as TA said) that's Chase subverting expectations or a legit criticism, still deciding.

Season 3 starts a bit slow but ramps up and I really loved it. Some amazing one-offs IMO.

Tasty

Midway through s5 and I've come back around after mid-s4 kinda lost me a little.

Every episode is basically a movie. If I really squinted during the first three seasons I could see a sub-Hollywood budget, but that line has disappeared in the last two seasons. I'm not an expert in camera lenses (yet) but I feel like they're the biggest (only?) giveaway of the series' "TV-ness." And even then, as soon as s4 started I noticed a big step up there -- the "look" of the series shifted slightly, got a bit more contrasty with some nicer bokeh on closeups. Smoother and longer camera movements too.

Anyways couldn't help but gush about the production as I've been making various mental notes until now. :P

Tasty

My only thing is I hate when a character becomes really likeable because I feel like no one on this show is gonna have a happy ending (maybe the kids?), but that's also great because it creates this constant tension about characters you care about. Uggh I hate it lol.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
pcp

Tasty

Would watch an edit where every gun is replaced with pew pew scifi shooters.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
If I had to rank Sopranos seasons

3 = 5 > 4 > 6 > 2 > 1

1 being like an 8/10, and 3/5 being pretty much perfect.
OH!

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Tasty

(Image removed from quote.)

Believe in the Heart of the Cards Tony !

"Dat fuckin' shit nevah works! It's always fuckin' Kuriboh and shit! Fuck it!"

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
If I had to rank Sopranos seasons

3 = 5 > 4 > 6 > 2 > 1

1 being like an 8/10, and 3/5 being pretty much perfect.

I dont hate 3 at all, but it's easily the lowest on my ranking. Surprised you rate it that highly. It does get very good towards the end though, mostly the many first episodes I am not a fan of.

Tasty

Last few episodes of s5 :o

Himu

Re: It's that time again, time to rewatch The Sopranos for the 50th time
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2020, 11:26:16 PM »
Season 3 is great and much better than the waste of a season in 2. Things actually happen!
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2020, 10:05:24 PM »
Season 3 owned and fuck Ralphie
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2020, 10:53:01 AM »
Season 4 is great too.

Seems season 2 is the only stinker around here.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2020, 03:09:33 PM »
Season 4 :bow

This isn't even the best ep of the season and yet it's such good tv.

https://tv.avclub.com/the-sopranos-watching-too-much-television-1798168230
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2020, 08:19:50 PM »
season 4 lights a fire on every single characters ass and turns it up bit by bit every episode.

Masterful shit.

IYKYK

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #98 on: January 04, 2021, 01:54:34 PM »
Rewatching the sopranos  :nope
Watching the Turkish adaptation of the sopranos  :ohyeah

https://mobile.twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/1345527755996233728

Tasty

« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2021, 01:55:17 PM »
:lol

Himu

« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2021, 12:55:18 PM »
Finished the series and what a show. Might be the only show I think is on par with The Wire. Whereas the Wire tackles social ills and systems, The Sopranos is analysis of the human soul and spirit. A+ shit. Whoever says the show hasn't aged well is a dumb dumb. What's incredible is how the show gets better through the seasons. At first I thought it a good show, but I truly think season 5 is when all the plots start to unravel as the true depth of the series reveals itself. What a show. I was utterly addicted through the end. I think it might have more lasting power than The Wire even, at least in the form of rewatchability. I can't wait to watch it for the second or even third time. GOAT tier shit.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2021, 01:13:43 PM »
Maybe I should watch The Wire now :lawd

Himu

« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2021, 04:45:20 PM »
i wasn't referring to you but others i've seen say it's overrated/outdated;etc and i think they're nuts
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2021, 05:59:45 PM »
People like that tend to focus more on tropes than craft. "I recognize tropes there I R smart!" When really it's being able to discern the quality and work that goes into an audiovisual production that is the mark of a true tastemaker, IMO.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2021, 06:29:08 PM »
Since when are tropes a measurement for quality anyway
What

Tasty