Author Topic: FitnessBore 2020: Workout From Home Edition  (Read 7170 times)

aiii

FitnessBore 2020: Workout From Home Edition
« on: May 12, 2020, 02:32:22 PM »
Let's start this shit fresh. A lot of things have changed since the last Fitness thread and it's gone on long enough. At the time of this OP, my gyms throughout the world have been closed for the better part of 3 months. This, like work, forced people to start finding new ways to workout at home. So what are you fucks doing? If you were smart enough or lucky enough to find some weights and equipment before everything became sold out, you might not have had to change much. But there are plenty of options to stay fit in these times:

First off get your diet in order. This is always the key and it's been very easy to quaransnack, but you gotta tighten that shit up. I myself was having trouble sticking to my diet even before the lockdowns went into effect, so the first month for me was a bit debaucherous in terms of eating, but I slipped back into doing keto and undid the damage, but as meat shortages become a thing, I might have little choice to return to potatoes/beans.

Bodyweight exercises: The basics that you can do anywhere without equipment: Lunges, squats, push ups, pull ups. This is my preferred mode of exercise, with additional weights via backpacks and dip belts. I have a pull up bar but have been doing my routine using the bar of a swing set lounger. You can do a pull up on just about anything that you can get your hands on, from clothes line posts to swing sets to tree branches to ledges to fences and so on.

Band exercises:
This has been popular replacement for weights as plates became impossible to find. You can find a million routines on youtube to simulate and replace or augment bodyweight, presses, even deadlifts.

Cardio: This is a pretty easy one to do even with social distancing. Running, walking, biking, hiking, the general stuff you can do by yourself if you have the room/time. I am lucky to have a pretty big yard so in addition to my normal routine, which includes about 5 miles of walking with loaded carries, I try to do another 4-5 miles of walking around the yard most days if weather permits. I see a lot of people walking in my neighborhood every day

Country Shit: Look, here's the deal, Jack. You gotta make do with what you have. I managed to get a couple of 45 plates just before gyms were closed, but everything else I use is what I already had laying around. Can't get an olympic bar, so I'm using a random pipe with clamps as stoppers and hanging kettlebells on the sides for ground bench presses, deadlifts, and overhead presses. I use some pikes that were used last year to keep tomato plants straight as a shorter bar for weighted carries with the kettlebells. A spare tire for carries. Push a tractor if you have one. I had to cut down a large branch and instead of chopping it up or burning it, I kept it and flip it like a large tire flip and occasionally try to carry it on my shoulders (but it's very awkward, unbalanced, and too long and also slices me up so I don't do it often) like a fucking caveman.

You gotta do what you gotta do. Don't let your gainz go to waste, brehs. Quaranbod doesn't have to mean you got fat. It's important to keep up your routines as much as you can, and modify where you have to. You might even find something new that you wouldn't have tried otherwise that works well for you. Motivation can be tough to keep up, but I make sure to do as much as possible as I can outside and in the sun. I had originally started doing them as soon as I woke up, which was still dark and cold and it was so mentally draining that I changed up my times and it changed a lot for me. I've also replaced all podcasts and music with audiobooks, keeping the books to only listen to during my workouts so I can associate the two and get excited for a workout because it means I'll be finishing or starting a new book. Many gym chains are doing free fitness classes online via facebook or youtube, you can always find yoga and stretches to do. You don't have to let the 'rona ruin your fitness routines.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 01:08:04 AM by Stro »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: FitnessBore 2020: Workout From Home Edition
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 04:23:06 PM »
Ive taken up skating again after 20 years off.

Cant run with me shitty knees but this is alright. (Although I did a mini run to shake the routine up and train other muscles and my knee didn't like that)

My goal is to do the Berlin Skate Marathon.

So far in 2,5 months I went from doing 2-3k to 5k-10k.  (Ok I also upgraded my skates but whatever)

Would be nice to do some other exercises to strengthen rest of the body. One of the things ive been doing is mowing the lawn with a push lawnmower (non electric/gas). That def gets the blood flowing.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 04:44:07 PM by Premium Lager »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 05:55:25 PM »
Been doing lots of pull ups, push ups, kettle ball stuff (only have 25lb tho) since I’ve been home. Also, I have been chopping mad shit with my hatchet. Taking down small trees, limbing trees, etc. What I’m using as a pull up bar is a small tree I felled wedged between two other trees :lol also, lots of just dance 2020 which is damn good if you’re playing extreme songs at making you sweat. Other country shit I’ve been doing includes lifting and moving boulders to make stepping stones across parts of the river and flat jumping on my picnic table. I am determined to come back to work looking healthier than ever so I can say it was the time off

Definitely been trying to eat pretty clean for awhile anyway. Mostly vegetarian with some chicken and tuna, aiming to be higher protein. For snacking I’ve been just eating unsalted almonds lol

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 07:18:12 PM »
If your door frame is like your mom, thick, then you can get one of those ones that don't require being screwed in, unlike your mom.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 07:35:09 PM »
It's literally a repetition? 

Pennywise

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 09:53:36 PM »
Gyms are open here again.

What a time. Those quarantine weeks fucked my stamina. I just want to die in peace.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 02:27:24 PM »
Did 100 dips today. 

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 07:02:48 PM »
been doing that for a while now, some equipment like dumbbells and a pullup bar and you're good to go

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 07:03:31 PM »
Is it really a rep if you only do 1?

:brain

pedantic riotous
pendantous

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 08:42:37 PM »
Pull up or chin up? Discuss

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 08:47:29 PM »
Yeah, I’m doin both rn. I also do the behind the head one, which I here isn’t the safest but I’m trying to get this shit and I don’t have access to much weight

eta: I was doing mostly like real square chin ups because that’s like the best bicep resistance I have available right now

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 08:50:55 PM »
Pulls ups be harder than chinups man, can easily rep chinups with a little weight but pullups fuark are brutal be struggling like a noodle on that shit lmao

If I recall the biomechanics of the exercise however, the muscle groups engaged tend to be very much the same, in that the same muscles are worked out for both grip variants. Pull-ups (pronated) and chin-ups (supinated). The grip and the muscles in an advantageous position makes a large difference. The supinated grip favourably enables biceps contribution whereas pronated places in an unfavourable position. Doing some air curls with the grip variants and you can tell which the biceps flexes hard in easily. This leads to chin-ups feeling easier and offering a compound exercise for the biceps. Whereas pull-ups require more from the other muscles such as the upper back group to execute making it a better back targeter.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 09:00:06 PM »
das a load of volume
I find it hard to do many sets, fatigue sets in fast for a dip in strength

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 09:35:16 PM »
I wish there were paved places to roller blade around here, I do miss that (and the thighs it gave me)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 10:21:57 PM »
Pulls ups be harder than chinups man

I can do pull ups much easier than chin ups, not that I can do that many of each. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2020, 01:00:28 PM »
I can't get the bands I bought to do squats working.  Its like a pain in the ass to get to where they are giving me resistance in my legs instead of my arms or back.  I'm using a 20 pound dumbbell instead which isn't really enough. 

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2020, 06:33:10 PM »
On that train in the woods shit

(please laugh at me)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 06:33:43 PM »
Nice log man. 

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2020, 09:12:39 PM »
Ran further than ever before today.

Still not a long way, but a personal best is still a new record for me. Keeps feeling like, “I can’t believe I’m doing this!”

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 01:17:37 AM »
I wish there were paved places to roller blade around here, I do miss that (and the thighs it gave me)

Get SUV Powerslides :)

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2020, 01:30:45 AM »
Yes suv skates is a dumb name, but they look awesome for very hard workouts.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2020, 07:53:55 PM »
Post log

It’s still not major progress by any real runner measure, but today I ran the entire circuit without stopping, and could have kept running. It’s the first time I stopped running because I chose to and not because I just couldn’t go any further. It feels like a major breakthrough for me.

I’m also down from last week’s (2 weeks ago?) 100.8 kg to 98.2 today.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2020, 07:48:29 AM »
Look at you pushing that big wood while cosplaying as what I assume to be a Naruto character.  damn. 

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2020, 02:48:17 PM »
oiled up and good to go

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2020, 03:23:07 PM »
He says while sliding the coconut oil jar out of frame with his foot. 

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2020, 03:34:13 PM »
It's sweat. It's been in the 90s with tropics level humidity for the past 7 days straight :stahp

We won't judge too hard so don't bother lying

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2020, 03:42:58 PM »
I would obviously use baby oil if I was going to get oiled up :camby

But then you won't smell as good as me. 

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2020, 04:16:23 PM »
I would obviously use baby oil if I was going to get oiled up :camby

Also -- and I just thought of this killer come back, an hour later -- is that because you are a baby.  :hulk

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2020, 09:33:22 PM »
I am still running from time to time, but not managing every day like I was. I’m still running though, and that’s something.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2020, 01:09:53 AM »
Dips don't make your arms/shoulders feel bad, Stro?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2020, 01:20:50 AM »
I started cardio training in March (skating and later running)

I've now hit the same pace for a 5k I had in 2011. Feels good.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2020, 01:12:08 PM »
I wonder if your neighbours appreciate or think you're special :hmm

Bebpo

« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2020, 09:18:23 PM »
I've been working out for a year or so at this point, just dropping off when sick and stuff. Combined with not eating out last 4 months, lost a bit of weight. Down to about 122lbs at 5'5. Last fall was 145lbs.

I had to go to a low acid diet to control my acid reflux/GERD flare up last week and some of the changes kicked off the latest 2lbs or so. I'd been drinking a lot of sports drinks (powerade) when working out, but had to change to coconut water. Also add in a lot of oatmeal w/banana & honey dinners and cut out basically any drink that isn't water or coconut water. I'm adding things back now but still sticking with coconut water.

Finally hit the point where my stomach is flat. Pretty sure it's been 15 years since I've had that. No idea if I'll be able to keep this or better when covid is over and can show off my post-covid bod. I hope so, but for now saving the moment :D

My workout regime for the last year or so is:

Even days:
-30 min heavy cardio workout (Beat Saber on expert+/faster song mode)
-Push ups (at around 55 now)
-Dumbbell sets x 3 each arm (can't go above 25lb because even with wrist guards, it fucks up my wrists because bad wrists)
-Stretches

Odd days:
-30 min heavy cardio workout
-Squats
-Other leg excercises off the internet to help with fixing my posture from sitting all the time through stronger butt)
-Stretches

Usually about 45 mins or so total.
I can't do any mid-section workouts because it triggers my intestinal issues, so can't do sit ups or stomach crunches. Would love to be able to do them and try for a six pack but will live with just trying to keep my stomach flat as much as I can.

Used to jog each morning before Covid but eh, jogging in a mask doesn't work for me and don't feel comfortable jogging around without one in my area. At some point will get back to it.

Also haven't seen the sun for a few weeks outside taking out the trash & getting the mail. At some point the lack of vitamin D/sun might have some detriments, idk

(idk how to take a side profile)

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2020, 09:22:00 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
(idk how to take a side profile)

Is that a shirtless man behind that camera? 

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2020, 02:20:04 PM »
so does anyone know how the fuck water weight works

like if u eat a lot and suddenly decide to lose weight, u lose weight quickly, thats water aint it?

and if ur thin and suddenly decide to eat a lot, ur body retains more water so it seems like u gained a ton but actually didnt?

i tried to google about this kind of information but i couldn't find much

You have about a pound of glycogen in your muscles and two or three pounds of water for that pound of glycogen. If you're sufficiently carb depleted, you lose the pound of glycogen and two to three pounds of water in your muscle. That's why people lose four pounds after the first few days of keto.

Beezy

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2020, 11:26:26 AM »
I bought a 40lb weight vest from amazon earlier for like $55. It was a prime day deal. Not sure what I'll do with it yet, but I'll figure something out. They have higher weights available, but they cost way too much and I'm not as strong as I was since I stopped going to the gym because of COVID.

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2020, 12:18:02 PM »
I've been running since June now, averaging 3-4 miles a day four or five times a week with one or two days of HIIT videos at home. Pretty amazing honestly, I'm so happy to be running again. I wasn't able to run for almost three years after my first heart surgery didn't actually fix my valve. Who knew that all I needed was a mechanical mitral valve and then everything would be fine?

I think I'm going to try my old six mile route this weekend if the weather cooperates. My long term goal is to do another half marathon, which would be my tenth. I've got lots of time to get ready, since there won't be an official half in Seattle for at least another year.
野球

El Babua

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2020, 10:15:25 PM »
Froze my gym membership and have just been doing bodyweight squats, push-ups, and sit-ups at home. Lost a good bit of weight thanks to cutting out a lot of fast food I would have otherwise eaten pre-covid.

Front doesn't look too bad, but my back is undefined af.

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2021, 06:39:17 AM »
Finally did something I have wanted to do all my life - got up at 5:30 to go for a jog.  Now to make it a habit.

edit: 2 days in a row
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 07:35:33 AM by Madrun Badrun »

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2021, 11:47:05 PM »
I finally got back on my bike recently after recurring gout attacks over the past six months. Felt bad, but felt good.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2021, 12:20:31 AM »
Finished setting up my new (to me) bike.

No more struggling up the hills on my hybrid.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2021, 12:21:57 AM »
Finally did something I have wanted to do all my life - got up at 5:30 to go for a jog.  Now to make it a habit.

edit: 2 days in a row
Can't like the same post twice, so quoting for the edit!!
Spud

remy

• my hog is small but it is mighty
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2021, 01:13:17 AM »
I finally got back on my bike recently after recurring gout attacks over the past six months. Felt bad, but felt good.
I started biking ~10km to and from work when the gym closed during covid, can definitely relate. feels like shit the first few times I did it but now it feels awesome. almost prefer it to driving when i'm not fearing for my life.

gym reopens tonight so going back to doing 5/3/1 and trying to get ripped

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2021, 04:09:00 AM »
I started biking ~10km to and from work when the gym closed during covid, can definitely relate. feels like shit the first few times I did it but now it feels awesome. almost prefer it to driving when i'm not fearing for my life.

gym reopens tonight so going back to doing 5/3/1 and trying to get ripped
Thankfully the cycling infrastructure is pretty damn good where I live, so most of my commute is via dedicated cycle ways. Speaking of commuting, that's my next step. Gotta commit to it at least one day a week.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2021, 05:58:34 AM »
Rode to work for the first time in almost a year. Hurt coming home, but the new bike is making the hills much easier. Set a few segment records according to Strava too.

About 3kgs down too. I had hit the heaviest I've ever been over the last six months, so time to get serious.
Spud

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2021, 02:47:13 AM »
I was getting about 12K steps in a day when working in Tokyo. I'd take the stairs wherever I could, and if it was an escalator, I'd use the 'passing lane' to scoot past people and get in more steps. My pedometer said I climbed 23-26 flights of stairs each day. You could bounce a quarter off my ass.

Slightly less exercise when commuting to Kyoto for the six months prior to WFH.

Then WFH due to COVID, and I rarely leave the house.

Yesterday I had to renew my residency Card, and I mademy way across several train stations. I took all the stairs again, and it felt good to move, but holy shit I was out of breath. I actually was dizzy after climing ~6 flights of stairs. The heat and humidity didn't help, either.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2021, 10:28:09 PM »
Took the longer route this morning and absolutely smashed it.

Most of those segments (90%) were gold.

Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2021, 12:17:48 AM »
Finally started using Ring Fit Adventure on the Switch after owning it for 12+ months. Surprisingly solid workout.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2021, 11:07:57 PM »
Went for a longer ride this morning.

Trying to train up for a 100km group ride in October.

Spud

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2021, 11:29:46 PM »
stro is bald  :sabu

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2022, 09:24:29 PM »
Signed up for an 80km bike ride in April and a 100km ride in June.
Spud

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2022, 03:20:17 AM »
Did the 100km charity bike ride today.

Raise $800 for people with multiple sclerosis.

Spud

Himu

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2022, 11:25:32 PM »
Really doing great in my gains! I feel free not going to the gym and just using bodyweight for lifting. I've never felt more athletic in my life.

Add a mostly plant-based diet and I feel really good!

I'm still in the beginner stage. I hope to eventually get to a handstand hopefully within the next six months.  Hopefully. It seems a realistic goal. Then I can try to work on handstand push ups.
IYKYK

Polident Hive

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2022, 05:57:56 PM »
A little jealous of bodyweight and callisthenics focused people. Due to various circumstances, I’ve been trying during a recovery period. It’s cool. Got some rings. But as a main thing, it’s not for me.

Think I’m broken from watching Rocky and Dragon Ball and all these training montages. Need the possibility of serious injury to motivate me.

Although some friends into bodyweight stuff added in weighted vests. Just like Piccolo  :uguu

Himu

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2022, 06:01:40 PM »
A little jealous of bodyweight and callisthenics focused people. Due to various circumstances, I’ve been trying during a recovery period. It’s cool. Got some rings. But as a main thing, it’s not for me.

Think I’m broken from watching Rocky and Dragon Ball and all these training montages. Need the possibility of serious injury to motivate me.

Although some friends into bodyweight stuff added in weighted vests. Just like Piccolo  :uguu

Why does it put you off?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 06:08:39 PM by Himu »
IYKYK