Author Topic: Skyrim and modding it  (Read 1639 times)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
Skyrim and modding it
« on: May 20, 2020, 07:44:38 AM »
Ok so I wanted to try my hand at modding Skyrim...its a huge undertaking because fuck me I dont know where to start

There are so many mods and I just want to make my game look better and play better.
I also want to install an ENB but the ENB helper dev site is down for days now and I cant find a reupload of ENBHELPER.DLL and the much needed Particle Patch for skyrim.

Anyone have any good lists I can go through? Right now I'm trying to use Shrouds mods because his game looks cool af

I already have a list of all the mods he's installed but sometimes in the Vortex I get like cyclical rules or whatever and I cant deploy the mods.

Anyone got experience here modding Skyrim to hell and back?
What

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Skyrim and modding it
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 07:45:40 AM »
The best mod:

ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 08:11:47 AM »
Not sure about Vortex, as I jumped on the mod train with Nexus, but I read they're essentially the same.

I would just go on the nexus site, filter the top most downloaded/most endorsed mods and go from there...  I got around 260+ mods going for Skyrim.  200 of them being solely cosmetic stuff..
Off the top my head, some essential ones are,
- UI Overhaul
- Unofficial Patch (I got LE, not SE)
- 2K texture overhaul (there's 4K and 8K even, iirc)
- static mesh overhaul
- Sewers of Skyrim

If you're using female character though and want to bring the smexy on, that's like opening pandora's box...  :whoo
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 08:17:29 AM by Svejk »

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 08:29:45 AM »
Clean faces :smug
(ice)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 11:09:24 AM »
Sex mods. That's about the only thing I know the Elderscroll's Fanbase updates constantly. :doge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 02:41:21 PM »
Sex mods. That's about the only thing I know the Elderscroll's Fanbase updates constantly. :doge

Excuse me, the Sweaty Skin mod is not a sex mod, it's about historical accuracy.
©@©™

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 03:48:38 PM »
I have 175 mods now to sort and install them one for one to make sure nothing breaks lmao 😂
What

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 04:42:13 PM »
I've modded extensively all the recent bethesda games. (Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Fallout 4,skyrim). It's an amazing experience, super addictive, and a ton of fun and you will learn a lot. Use to post some about it in this thread.

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=42946.0

The only suggestion I would give is to start slow rather than expansive. Start with 20 mods or 30 mods or some much more manageable number even up to say 50 mods. The problem with starting with a shitload of mods is that understanding how shit conflicts with each other is insanely daunting when you have that many variables going on. If something breaks it becomes almost impossible to debug and fix when you have a million mods going at once especially when you are new to the process and don't really quite understand it. And just inherently the more mods you add, the more unstable your game will be. There is just no way around that fact despite what anyone else tells you. Learning to mod is a slow tedious experience that you only get better at over time by seeing what works and what doesn't works. It took me at least about 10 times modding skyrim before I was comfortable with actually trying to seriously play that version of the game in anything resembling a serious playthrough because some mods won't break visible stuff until you get further into the game. But it was a hell of a lot of fun (and frustrating) going through that process.

I would also suggest following a guide the first time. There are plenty of those on the internet either on the skyrim modding nexus or on step

https://wiki.step-project.com/Main_Page

You can modify the process however you want, but following doing somebody else's footsteps will be an easier process than just brute forcing it yourself solely.

As far as mods, my absolutely favorite skyrim mod is Legacy of the Dragonborn.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11802

Just a brilliant framework and focus for a certain type of playthrough.

Don't be upset or surprised if you fail the first few times at trying to put together a stable mod list. Just use the experience for the next setup.

I'm probably going to end up doing an oblivion modding playthrough sometime in the upcoming months myself.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 04:50:46 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 04:45:04 PM »
There is also this

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/d2i0xm/wabbajack_lets_you_install_hundreds_of_skyrim/

which I never personally tried myself but I know some people who swear by it.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 07:10:54 PM »
Thanks Stoney I'll have to check all that out.

My first problem is getting an ENB to run at all without it not having my game boot up.

Im not quite sure what im doing wrong but I have an old ass ENB that does work, but doesnt do DOF it seems

If I try a new ENB version and download a ENB setup from Nexus it just crashes my game it never goes to the main menu

:/
What

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 09:59:45 AM »
Well Im just gonna go with that old ass enb because I cant get a new one to work correctly

But I do have some good mods working right now about 60
What

Stoney Mason

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 11:50:37 AM »

My first problem is getting an ENB to run at all without it not having my game boot up.

Im not quite sure what im doing wrong but I have an old ass ENB that does work, but doesnt do DOF it seems

If I try a new ENB version and download a ENB setup from Nexus it just crashes my game it never goes to the main menu

hmm.. weird. Sounds like something oddly specific to your system setup. ENB's are pretty general purpose and generally work across multiple games even. Finding a similar crash issue with google is probably your best bet.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 02:01:58 PM »

hmm.. weird. Sounds like something oddly specific to your system setup. ENB's are pretty general purpose and generally work across multiple games even. Finding a similar crash issue with google is probably your best bet.

Yeah maybe Ill just backup this folder and experiment with some enb stuff.

Right now I have a pretty sweet list of mods and its all working without crashes. I even got the DOF working, but now I cant see anything underwater. I found if I change a dof blur setting in the skyrimprefs.ini I can make it so I can see underwater, but then I dont have any dof -_-
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 02:21:38 PM »
In before MMaRsu has to delete his entire Skyrim folder and do a clean install.

©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2020, 02:36:56 PM »

Yeah maybe Ill just backup this folder and experiment with some enb stuff.

Right now I have a pretty sweet list of mods and its all working without crashes. I even got the DOF working, but now I cant see anything underwater. I found if I change a dof blur setting in the skyrimprefs.ini I can make it so I can see underwater, but then I dont have any dof -_-

Are you using mod organizer btw? That's a great tool and helps so you can easily revert and test individual mods. It's works a slightly bit differently with an enb but with most mods it works really well.

edit: after re-reading your post, I guess you are using something called vortex as your mod manager. I'm not familiar with that program but doing a quick google search seems like it basically serves the same function.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2020, 07:27:58 AM »
Yeah Im using Vortex, I always used it for modding Fallout and it's a good program I think. It's from the Nexus themselves.

Either way, it's time to share some screenshots of how my game looks now.

Running 137 mods right now :D  :whoo :whew

Sometimes it drops like crazy tho, thats annoying. Need a new GFX card. This 1060  3gb aint holding up
What

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2020, 01:12:42 PM »
Nice screens. It definitely is a little mindblowing playing it the first time after putting a shitload of overhauls in.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2020, 04:43:25 PM »
Hmm, maybe I should see what my 1080ti could do with some modz
yar

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2020, 05:58:27 PM »
why do some of the screens look like it is covered in vaseline

Bebpo

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 06:08:23 PM »
I was reading a list of best games/rpgs on steam a few weeks ago and saw someone mention this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/933480/Enderal_Forgotten_Stories/

Basically they took Skyrim and made their own rpg with it and it's free and it's a full length rpg and most people agree it's better than Skyrim. You might want to check it out. I've tagged it so if I ever reinstall Skyrim I'll try this.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 07:23:45 PM »

It's the enb (depth of field) along with the weather mods and probably some of the replacement body models in combination. Mods can create a very specific look and while that particular look may not be to a specific taste, you can change it with a different selection of the afore mentioned mods. Some people like that look.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 07:25:03 PM »
I was reading a list of best games/rpgs on steam a few weeks ago and saw someone mention this:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/933480/Enderal_Forgotten_Stories/

Basically they took Skyrim and made their own rpg with it and it's free and it's a full length rpg and most people agree it's better than Skyrim. You might want to check it out. I've tagged it so if I ever reinstall Skyrim I'll try this.

Enderal is good but I think people play it and skyrim for somewhat different reasons. So better will be subjective in that regard.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 07:27:38 PM »

It's the enb (depth of field) along with the weather mods and probably some of the replacement body models in combination. Mods can create a very specific look and while that particular look may not be to a specific taste, you can change it with a different selection of the afore mentioned mods. Some people like that look.

those people are FREAKS

Some of those screens look good, and then you just got a complete mess next up in line. This is quite possibly one of the ugliest things i've seen in weeks, and i've spent hours looking at my cock

Stoney Mason

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2020, 07:32:04 PM »

those people are FREAKS

Some of those screens look good, and then you just got a complete mess next up in line. This is quite possibly one of the ugliest things i've seen in weeks, and i've spent hours looking at my cock

(Image removed from quote.)

It's just the depth of field. Turn it off and its fine imo.You can toggle that stuff on or off or lessen or strengthen the effect to your personal taste in nearly every enb.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2020, 07:48:48 PM »
The dof of field something is really customizable but I like it if I stand still and focus on an item or when talking to an npc
What

Stoney Mason

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2020, 10:43:02 PM »
Yeah I mean its all personal preference on what somebody wants to feel or enjoy when they playthrough the modded experience.

I must have tried like half a dozen weather mods including most of the big ones with all kind of advanced features. But none of them ever really gave me that feel I really wanted until funny enough I found one on the xbox workshop of skyrim that I brought back to the pc version I also play on.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11578

For me it gives me that supercolor fantasy vibe that was in my head that I wanted to experience but could never articulate in words. I adore it. And its super small and lightweight compared to some of the more popular/powerful weather mods. But other people may think it looks like unrealistic crap. That's what is great about modding. You get exactly the experience YOU want and you end up obsessing about the smallest details to filter that experience. For me the actual modding experience and anticipating of it is almost more fun than actually playing what you end up creating. 

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2020, 06:37:55 AM »
Great post! Sadly I dont have the SE.. But ill check that mod out! Today im gonna fumble around with trying True Shelter mod, that fixes snow and rain coming through objects and roofs :o
What