Author Topic: Playstation 5  (Read 191413 times)

Bebpo

Re: Playstation 5
« Reply #1800 on: March 02, 2021, 11:08:15 PM »
Anyone try Destruction Allstars yet?  I have it downloaded, but won't be able to try till tomorrow.  Seems there's very little buzz about it, and the little I've read, it's actually an ok game.

I've played some of the single player. It's not as bad as I expected and I wouldn't uninstall it like I do for a lot of these freebies after trying them. I might play it a little more here and there.

It plays pretty well and looks good enough though the arenas need more variety. But I suck too much to play online and playing against cpu is kinda dull so idk. There's a time trial mode where you have to race through checkpoints avoiding stuff trying to kill you and swapping between driving through checkpoints and wallrunning & platforming on foot through checkpoints that's pretty fun.

I think it's fine, but it definitely should've been a F2P or $20 PSN kinda game.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1801 on: March 03, 2021, 02:49:53 AM »
would love to get some insight into that process.

sometimes it's engineers internally pushing back, or just not caring. like the recent improvements in load times made by a "hacker" in GTA Online https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/03/hacker-reduces-gta-online-load-times-by-over-70-percent/, or the other week im contracting with one of the largest web companies around here and i ask a dev why their app pools are running on 32 bit vm's "idk, 64 bit just doesn't work". me: "can i try it?" them "honestly bro, it just doesn't work" i convince them to let me try an update in the perf environment (this has been plaguing them for aaaages) and it took 2 hours investigation and 2 config changes in memory allocation to fix the bug. sometimes devs, engineers, ops teams etc are actually just stupid and/or lazy.

I bet this is a thing where Sony doesn't want to spend money on it and the original team isn't available to do it/doesn't have time. They'd likely have to QA it again, even if they just released the frame rate cap.

Also with the recent layoffs at Japan Studio it's very possible that their liaisons between Sony and From are gone.

Svejk

« Reply #1802 on: March 03, 2021, 07:08:16 AM »
Anyone try Destruction Allstars yet?  I have it downloaded, but won't be able to try till tomorrow.  Seems there's very little buzz about it, and the little I've read, it's actually an ok game.

I've played some of the single player. It's not as bad as I expected and I wouldn't uninstall it like I do for a lot of these freebies after trying them. I might play it a little more here and there.

It plays pretty well and looks good enough though the arenas need more variety. But I suck too much to play online and playing against cpu is kinda dull so idk. There's a time trial mode where you have to race through checkpoints avoiding stuff trying to kill you and swapping between driving through checkpoints and wallrunning & platforming on foot through checkpoints that's pretty fun.

I think it's fine, but it definitely should've been a F2P or $20 PSN kinda game.
I tried it out and it was ayeet...  It looked and played pretty solid, but the one thing that bothered me, was that it's all just arenas...  I feel like they missed the mark with not having large, open area hubs like Twisted Metal or Vigilante 8.  Having broken down, derelict buildings you can drive through (like TM2) with giant falls, but plenty of wall running potential, would've been so much better... but the humdrum arenas got boring pretty quick to me. 

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #1803 on: March 08, 2021, 05:26:54 PM »
yeah, it looks and plays well, like it should be great. but it's not. gave it ~4hrs to grab me in any way, but it lacks any heft and the different game modes all feel the same.

something i felt a lot while playing it was "i'd much rather be playing battle mode in mk8"
◕‿◕

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #1805 on: March 10, 2021, 01:41:33 PM »
Looks like Series X wins this gen :lol
Hi

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #1806 on: March 10, 2021, 02:05:05 PM »
I don't understand the reaction. It's anti-cheat.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1807 on: March 10, 2021, 03:04:55 PM »
Put anti cheat server side instead
What

naff

« Reply #1808 on: March 10, 2021, 03:48:52 PM »
from what i understand identifying exploits server side for large online games is incredibly difficult and expensive. offloading to client machines is the only realistic option for a lot of the kinds of exploits people use

also seems like the negative perf impacts on games are related to poor implementation (checking too often perhaps) vs the solution being inherently bad https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/09/ars-analysis-denuvo-drm-doesnt-slow-down-batman-arkham-knight/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 03:54:42 PM by naff »
◕‿◕

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1809 on: March 25, 2021, 09:07:15 PM »
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1810 on: March 25, 2021, 09:44:00 PM »
I just wish this and Deathloop weren't rogues  :'(

They both look great, but I want a full story campaign with the gameplay and visuals/art in each. But given that rogues are way cheaper to make since it's more about reusing content over and over and lets you get away with fewer assets/content, and given that Hades just sold a billion ass copies, it's probably a lot smarter business decision for these games to be rogues.

Will still give both a try, but single player campaign games I know I'll finish them, rogues are....questionable whether I'll see the thing through. At least on PC there's always trainers/cheats.

Boredfrom

« Reply #1811 on: March 26, 2021, 08:32:42 PM »
I just wish this and Deathloop weren't rogues  :'(

They both look great, but I want a full story campaign with the gameplay and visuals/art in each. But given that rogues are way cheaper to make since it's more about reusing content over and over and lets you get away with fewer assets/content, and given that Hades just sold a billion ass copies, it's probably a lot smarter business decision for these games to be rogues.

Will still give both a try, but single player campaign games I know I'll finish them, rogues are....questionable whether I'll see the thing through. At least on PC there's always trainers/cheats.

Deathloop is not a rogue like. Sounds more like a big Hitman mission whose focus is action than stealth.

Bebpo

« Reply #1812 on: March 26, 2021, 09:43:29 PM »
I thought Deathloop was you keep repeating the loop until you beat it like a roguelike.

Hmmmm, well if it's not then that's good.

Coax

« Reply #1813 on: March 27, 2021, 02:39:01 AM »
I thought Deathloop was you keep repeating the loop until you beat it like a roguelike.

It's kind of a rogue-lite and afaik inspired by their previous work on the Prey DLC Mooncrash. About the only video that has explained it straightforwardly is an official talking head piece  :P

The goal is you replay the same mission multiple times to kill all the targets in one 'day' (I've read this isn't strictly timed at least), otherwise you restart the loop (or if you die first). So the idea is you attempt to manipulate events/find new pathways in each run as you learn behaviors to facilitate being able to kill all the targets in a successful run. By finding certain 'loopholes' obtained items/weapons can be carried across runs.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1814 on: March 27, 2021, 06:50:57 PM »

It's kind of a rogue-lite and afaik inspired by their previous work on the Prey DLC Mooncrash. About the only video that has explained it straightforwardly is an official talking head piece  :P

The goal is you replay the same mission multiple times to kill all the targets in one 'day' (I've read this isn't strictly timed at least), otherwise you restart the loop (or if you die first). So the idea is you attempt to manipulate events/find new pathways in each run as you learn behaviors to facilitate being able to kill all the targets in a successful run. By finding certain 'loopholes' obtained items/weapons can be carried across runs.

Returnal seems to be like this, too, based on that video- you start over and there's different paths/enemies/things going on.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #1815 on: March 29, 2021, 02:30:26 PM »
Ratchet & Clank; the free Play at Home PS4 version, will have a 60fps update coming in April.  Better snag it before it expires on 03/31.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #1816 on: March 29, 2021, 03:14:49 PM »
Awkward times to be a digital PS5 owner
fat

Svejk

« Reply #1817 on: March 29, 2021, 04:25:32 PM »
Awkward times to be a digital PS5 owner
It is awkward Sony giving away free games with no paid subscription necessary.  :yeshrug

Svejk

« Reply #1818 on: April 08, 2021, 05:25:09 PM »
Deathloop has been delayed to September.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1819 on: April 08, 2021, 06:25:17 PM »

The Microsoft Way :teehee

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1820 on: April 08, 2021, 07:43:16 PM »
I wonder if the Mass Effect remake will still make it, I expected some more marketing right now.
Same for that 'Returnal(?)' thing Sony is putting out.

Resident Evil Village is still trucking along it seems and Capcom is actively promoting it.
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #1821 on: April 08, 2021, 09:47:25 PM »
I was gonna say Capcom is fine, they got Rise out without delays.
Then I remembered that Rise is missing the last 10% of the game + post-game to be added in another month or two via free DLC.

So yeah RE8...hope it comes out in a month and is finished!

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #1822 on: April 09, 2021, 12:30:56 AM »
Same for that 'Returnal(?)' thing Sony is putting out.

Went gold a couple weeks ago.

Svejk

« Reply #1823 on: April 09, 2021, 07:45:22 AM »

Oh wow.  I didn't realize that dev was part of "the acquisition".   :doge

I can so very easily see them "delaying" it to a point of breaching the PS5 exclusive thing with whatever loopholes they've created.  :lol

Honestly, I have no interest in the game, so..  :yeshrug

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1824 on: April 09, 2021, 09:03:33 AM »

Oh wow.  I didn't realize that dev was part of "the acquisition".   :doge

Microsoft probably didn't either  :idont

I don't think Arkane will last long as a seperate entity under Microsoft.
🤴

paprikastaude

« Reply #1825 on: April 09, 2021, 10:31:00 AM »
oh no no death ..loop? anyway. Where is Tokyo Ghostwire.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 01:54:58 PM by Spieler1 »

El Babua

« Reply #1826 on: April 09, 2021, 04:06:36 PM »
I think the gamepass model is way better suited for devs like Arkane. Not that I think MS will keep them, judging from history.  :doge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1827 on: April 09, 2021, 04:19:49 PM »
I think the gamepass model is way better suited for devs like Arkane. Not that I think MS will keep them, judging from history.  :doge
I think they will consolidate resources and lump them in with the dudes doing DOOM, Quake and Wolfenstein.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #1829 on: April 14, 2021, 12:48:26 PM »

:whoo  Shit keeps lookin' better and better.. 

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #1830 on: April 14, 2021, 03:52:48 PM »
I cant get over how much I dislike how Returnal looks. Gameplay videos arent doing much for me either. 70 euros for that shit  :lol

naff

« Reply #1831 on: April 14, 2021, 05:45:14 PM »
gameplay looks great, and I think it looks decent in motion. any time it slows down and you get a good look at the detail tho...
◕‿◕

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #1832 on: April 15, 2021, 01:51:43 AM »
Check your mail, I just got an email from Sony saying I could order a PS5 direct from them

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #1833 on: April 15, 2021, 10:12:08 AM »
The new update fixed the issue i had with hdr not working  :mynicca
jon

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1834 on: April 15, 2021, 04:37:59 PM »

Saw something about 1080P 120 FPS now being supported- I thought that was already the case?
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #1835 on: April 15, 2021, 05:41:06 PM »

Saw something about 1080P 120 FPS now being supported- I thought that was already the case?

Has to do with certain monitors I think.

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #1836 on: April 16, 2021, 11:14:26 PM »
Thats correct, as well as some av receivers and soundbars
jon

Svejk

« Reply #1837 on: April 23, 2021, 05:16:57 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #1838 on: April 23, 2021, 06:30:58 PM »
More Returnal stuffz...

https://giant.gfycat.com/OrneryHandsomeBunny.mp4

:neo
It looks good but I feel like it could've been better as a Metroidvania type game like CONTROL instead of a rogue like.

🤴

Svejk

« Reply #1839 on: April 23, 2021, 07:47:35 PM »
More Returnal stuffz...

https://giant.gfycat.com/OrneryHandsomeBunny.mp4

:neo
It looks good but I feel like it could've been better as a Metroidvania type game like CONTROL instead of a rogue like.
I agree. That would've warranted a instant Day 1 purchase for me.  Although I've been reading it's basically "Hades meets Control meets Metroid" which piques my interest still.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #1840 on: April 26, 2021, 12:31:48 PM »
I HAVE MONEY FOR THIS CONSOLE

WHERE DOES IT GO

GIVE ME NOW  :rage

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #1841 on: April 27, 2021, 07:53:12 AM »
I HAVE MONEY FOR THIS CONSOLE

WHERE DOES IT GO

GIVE ME NOW  :rage

What

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #1842 on: April 28, 2021, 10:49:37 AM »
Ah shit

yar

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1843 on: April 28, 2021, 10:56:18 AM »
Gongrats on your Returnal box.
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1844 on: April 28, 2021, 10:57:17 AM »
Gongrats on your Returnal box.

Fuck that, my pc is currently out of commission (still) so this is gonna be my RE Village 4k box
yar

Svejk

« Reply #1845 on: April 28, 2021, 11:19:49 AM »
Dog: "Take this and sell it on ebay?"

Cat: "Take this and sell it on ebay."

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #1846 on: April 28, 2021, 11:37:53 AM »
I am almost positive I will get a gaming PC before I get a PlayStation 5. It’s more flexible, it has more access to a bunch of great games that I have been meaning to play, and it’s only missing the dualsense controller. I think I can live with that.

Svejk

« Reply #1847 on: April 28, 2021, 12:17:05 PM »

I will probably cave this weekend..  ready for some bullet hell..

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #1848 on: April 28, 2021, 12:28:44 PM »
It's not like we're swimming in new releases anyways. I'll probably just wait for Resident Evil Village and get this when it's budget price. (It's fucking 75 euros!?)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #1849 on: April 28, 2021, 01:07:06 PM »
Yeah 80€ is just insanity for a Rogue-Lite.

Bebpo

« Reply #1850 on: April 28, 2021, 01:10:33 PM »
Yeah, it's not going to be worth the price and should've been a $39.99 title. I mean all of their past games were like $15-$20. There should've been a middleground step before they try full price, but Sony is pretty corporate these days and will take any chance they can to sell stuff at a premium.

I'm gonna get it just because I like HouseMarque's games and hopefully it'll be enjoyable, but I'm expecting to get about the same amount of entertainment from it as I did from their $20 games.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1851 on: April 28, 2021, 01:15:35 PM »
That's another thing, I won't fucking pay $70 for a game. RE Village has a $60 version so I'll get that. But fuck paying $70, I will wait because I am petty as shit.
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #1852 on: April 28, 2021, 01:27:59 PM »
If you don't need stuff day 1, everything is $30 within a year these days unless it's a Nintendo game. Then it's still $60 and maybe $40 in three years (if they don't just stop selling it).

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1853 on: April 28, 2021, 01:34:45 PM »
If you don't need stuff day 1, everything is $30 within a year these days unless it's a Nintendo game. Then it's still $60 and maybe $40 in three years (if they don't just stop selling it).

After 6-9 months, Nintendo stuff will go on sale for $10-20 off periodically, I just scoop it up then if I didn't buy it at launch and want to play it at all. I'm actually building up a backlog of switch shit because of that.
yar

Bebpo

« Reply #1854 on: April 28, 2021, 01:37:16 PM »
But yeah, that's why I don't really have an issue with game prices increasing with inflation. A movie ticket used to be $6 and now it's like $18. A meal at fast food used to be $4-5, now it's like $10-12.

Early adapters always get fucked in tech. Just how it is. If you don't have FOMO gaming is cheap these days with all these bundles and sales and game pass.

But I've been paying 6800yen ($70) PS2, 7800yen ($80) PS3 for imports for 20 years, so US games have always felt cheaper by comparison. Fuck, I think FF13 cost like $110 and the game sucked.

Bebpo

« Reply #1855 on: April 28, 2021, 01:38:16 PM »

After 6-9 months, Nintendo stuff will go on sale for $10-20 off periodically, I just scoop it up then if I didn't buy it at launch and want to play it at all. I'm actually building up a backlog of switch shit because of that.

Still waiting on Origami King and Pikmin 3 to hit $40 someday...and Age of Calamity too.

Svejk

« Reply #1856 on: April 28, 2021, 01:39:49 PM »
Backlogs are so damn real nowadays.  :stahp

Still waiting on Origami King and Pikmin 3 to hit $40 someday...and Age of Calamity too.
Still waiting on BOTW; a 4 year old game, to drop below $50.  :hmph

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #1857 on: April 28, 2021, 02:37:27 PM »
I got BotW for $40 around Christmas, you just gotta pay attention and pull the trigger
yar

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1859 on: April 28, 2021, 04:07:59 PM »
PS5 thread redeemed :rejoice
©@©™