Author Topic: Fuck Microsoft  (Read 5251 times)

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
Re: Fuck Microsoft
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2021, 10:09:11 PM »
not saying it's not dumb, but it's not the signal of the end times like these guys would have you think. they are both better representations of the foibles of our society than some bland microsoft speaker gimmick.
◕‿◕

Propagandhim

« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2021, 10:10:22 PM »
I don't know who those dudes are, just saw the tweets randomly.  I just saw it as something perverse if not slightly obnoxious

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2021, 10:28:47 PM »
Not end times, just funny to see something so desperate and transparent.
But corporations desperately trying to be hip isn't new, so it isn't shocking in that sense.
Though they do push it well past the point of parody in that particular case.

Although this constant obsession and fetishization of racial identity, is crossing over from "acknowledgement of disparity", into "creepy cult" shit.
Ideally you'd want to work to erase this type of conditioning, not further embed it into the culture.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2021, 08:20:46 AM »
i was going to upgrade to windows 11 but they require you have a TPM module enabled on your mobo. not sure about spending $30 on some bullshit like that.
Your CPU might have it built-in, you just have to enable it in the UEFI.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2021, 09:13:41 AM »
i was going to upgrade to windows 11 but they require you have a TPM module enabled on your mobo. not sure about spending $30 on some bullshit like that.

i remember when M$ tried to integrate a chip they worked up with the Trusted Computing Group shit back in the day and it was a trojan horse for a chip where they could remotely monitor digital rights for all files on your pc and it completely fell through due to breaking various laws and generally not being met well. haven't heard anything too damning about this new iteration but it makes me feel extremely sus
TPM has already been around for over a decade, this is just the first time that Microsoft has required it for Windows.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2021, 09:42:30 AM »
Yeah i had to activate it from the BIOS manually, but i assume any "recent" CPU has it by default, just turned off?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2021, 09:45:47 AM »
I think ever CPU that is supported by Win 11 has it, but I couldn't find a complete list within a couple searches, so I gave up looking.

benjipwns

« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2021, 11:04:54 AM »
AMDs since 2016 have it and Intel's since Skylake have it.

It has to be TPM2.0, some older AMDs have TPM but it's only 1.2 I believe.

Tasty

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2022, 08:49:27 AM »
You’ll need a Microsoft account to set up future versions of Windows 11 Pro

While most devices do require a sign-in to fully enable app stores, cloud storage, and cross-device sharing and syncing, Windows 11 will soon stand alone as the only major consumer OS that requires account sign-in to enable even basic functionality. Apple's Macs still allow for local account creation during setup, and you can skip signing in when you set up iPhones and iPads (an Internet connection is sometimes required for device activation, though). Android likewise needs an Internet account for activation but doesn't require signing in to get you to the home screen. Even Chrome OS has a guest mode that you can use to enable basic browsing without a user account.

I don't know how this isn't a dealbreaker for everybody.

archnemesis

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2022, 09:30:05 AM »
My guess is that they will withdraw that "feature" when people start complaining about it. I'll stay on Windows 10 for as long as I can.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2022, 10:23:21 PM »
I feel old because I just don’t care. Everything seems to need an account nowadays. What’s another one?

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2022, 12:07:29 AM »
I feel old because I just don’t care. Everything seems to need an account nowadays. What’s another one?

it's another way to track you being imposed upon everyone where it never was before and never should be

in 10 years god emperor Trump Jr. says "this user @mupepe is saying mean things about me online, can we send a crew over to arrest him?"

his tech advisors get back to him, "he was using a vpn even though we made those illegal, but fortunately the data we subpoenaed was digitally signed with his Microsoft account so we can pinpoint the bastard"
Uncle

benjipwns

« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2022, 12:24:06 AM »
IIRC some pre-installed versions of Windows 10 already require you to create a Microsoft account. Like if you bought a Dell or whatever.

Occam

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2022, 01:01:03 AM »
I switched to Ubuntu a few years ago and haven't looked back. Privacy at last, secure, no bloat.
It's not perfect, but it's used widely enough that in case you encounter a problem, there usually is a solution available online.
My system is dual boot, I actually have an installation of Windows alongside Ubuntu in case I absolutely need to use some software that doesn't work under Wine, but I rarely ever need it. The last time I fired up Windows was last summer.

benjipwns

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2022, 03:17:27 AM »
I leave Windows on my desktop simply for gaming/Excel purposes. But since about 2008 or so, I've put Ubuntu on my laptops. I leave the pre-installed Windows with a small amount of drive but except for last summer when I was doing some specific stuff with some Windows only programs I haven't really gone into Windows on my laptops much in the last decade. When it comes to games on an admittingly non-gaming laptop, Steam's ever expanding Linux library or stuff like RetroArch is more than good enough even if some stuff can be wonky and you'll never possibly figure out why.

archnemesis

« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2022, 03:56:38 AM »
Very similar here. I use Ubuntu for work on my laptop and keep a Windows desktop machine for gaming and a handful of applications like Excel and Power BI.

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2022, 08:54:10 AM »

it's another way to track you being imposed upon everyone where it never was before and never should be

in 10 years god emperor Trump Jr. says "this user @mupepe is saying mean things about me online, can we send a crew over to arrest him?"

his tech advisors get back to him, "he was using a vpn even though we made those illegal, but fortunately the data we subpoenaed was digitally signed with his Microsoft account so we can pinpoint the bastard"
Oh I get ya there. I just can’t bring myself to care anymore. I just submit and let my technical and political overlords own my sweet holes.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2022, 11:48:12 AM »
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Tasty

« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2022, 02:19:34 PM »
Arch gonna be synonymous with PC gaming in a few short years thanks to Valve.

That meme will still apply, though.