Author Topic: The forum is dead/dying and thebore is essentially a discord community now  (Read 8023 times)

ringlow

Thread for some real talk, most everything except for the shit thread is happening in discord now, the community feels pretty splintered from what it what was. This cant be a new or novel observation just wondering how everyone feels about it, you okay with it? happy to keep the discord clear of legacy neojeff bullshit? do some of you feel ostracized not being in the discord? I'm asking cause I barely post here anymore and I cant see myself posting much in the future as the discord fits me better than the forum and it feels like something unsaid thusfar.   

james

• Donate to the JAMES FUND
Re: The forum is dead/dying and thebore is essentially a discord community now
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 03:30:10 AM »
What's discord
:O

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 03:47:45 AM »
I used to read old threads/posts and think how much funnier it used to be. then I realized everything is funnier to me when I go back and read it all again, even if I just go back a month or so.

ringlow

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 03:57:38 AM »
What's discord
I'm not the owner anymore, it's under new management. I didnt make this thread as a discord invite fishing exercise to be clear, the people who run it now handles that process on their own and I'm not here to give them a hard time. I just wanna see where everyone's  :brain is at.   

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 03:59:26 AM »
if you ran it I'd be more likely to join tbh

ringlow

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 04:00:23 AM »
if you ran it I'd be more likely to join tbh
I might have stayed the owner if more people joined then, but I'm not good at recruiting lmao

Coax

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 04:21:43 AM »
Quote from: user profile
Date registered: Nov 2020. Previous Aliases: Momo

:thinking

Any community is improved generally by what any one poster puts into it imo. Others see someone can be assed to post decent content and it's a subtle influence. I've seen this in every community. Even if The Bore keeps up the facade that it's all zero effort shitposting.

It's like an inverse broken window effect.

Discord is useful for general chat and collabs but I already have enough different accounts to switch between :doge

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 04:34:57 AM »
eh, I kinda like both. I prefer when the forum is more active though. discord is fine but very different. I much prefer forums for medium - > large communities. that said, bore discord is p tiny and fairly easy to follow.
◕‿◕

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 04:39:31 AM »
the idea that I'm supposed to play nice if I'm let in is one the most hilarious things to me for multiple reasons  :lol

ringlow

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2021, 04:47:39 AM »
Quote from: user profile
Date registered: Nov 2020. Previous Aliases: Momo
Thanks for doxxing me bork  :maf

For the record, I havent been on the momo account in nearly a year, y'all were talking to a spook (sorry spook, i didnt mean to out you)

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2021, 04:49:52 AM »
eh, I kinda like both. I prefer when the forum is more active though. discord is fine but very different. I much prefer forums for medium - > large communities. that said, bore discord is p tiny and fairly easy to follow.
Yeaah they're the same people but not entirely the same vibes? It's cool that both are a thing imo.
Hi

ringlow

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2021, 04:53:47 AM »
Perhaps i should be the change I want to see and invite some more forum types here? I've been on forums since 2007 and this is the first time really i havent been posting much.

Bebpo

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2021, 05:01:31 AM »
Discord reminds me too much of Mirc days and I didn't like those days, so forums are more my jam. I was glad when the internet left group chat.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 05:09:57 AM »
Glad its dying honestly. Not to be rude or fling any shit at anybody but I haven't liked the direction in years and I honestly debated asking for my posts to be deleted a few times just so my user name wouldn't be associated with the content anymore. (I decided not to mainly just to be polite and not to wreck a lot of archived threads)

Do as you choose. My posting days are over here so this is a good opportunity to say goodbye to some of the posters I enjoyed over the years like chrono, toxic adam, etc. The people who I liked know who they are. Live long and prosper.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2021, 05:12:31 AM »
so dramatic  :lol

ringlow

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2021, 05:13:39 AM »
Glad its dying honestly. Not to be rude or fling any shit at anybody but I haven't liked the direction in years and I honestly debated asking for my posts to be deleted a few times just so my user name wouldn't be associated with the content anymore. (I decided not to mainly just to be polite and not to wreck a lot of archived threads)

Do as you choose. My posting days are over here so this is a good opportunity to say goodbye to some of the posters I enjoyed over the years like chrono, toxic adam, etc. The people who I liked know who they are. Live long and prosper.
I don't blame you. You're on the discord at least yeah? People have so many name changes there I barely know.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2021, 05:16:16 AM »

I don't blame you. You're on the discord at least yeah? People have so many name changes there I barely know.
(Image removed from quote.)

Nah. Discord ain't for me. I prefer forums. But I'm glad the people who want to have an outlet to continue. That's was always the sad part about Neogaf imploding was that it destroyed a lot of friendships that had been built up over time without any closure. At least in this case, its much easier to get closure when its like a slow rolling trainwreck kind of thing.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 06:43:32 AM »
I'm a fan of the multi-channel experience. I've actually had discussions with this over DM with a number of members on the board and Discord.
Some you might expect, some you might not. Out of those talks I've concluded that the issue is that there's 3 different groups and they've drifted apart.

1. There seems to be a number of members that have broken ties with the anarchist 'everything goes' roots of the bore.
They would rather have a more sanitized or 'clean' message board without the shit, wank dad, conspiracy, politics, meme bandwagon thread etc. for starters.
Most of them weren't active on the board anymore long before the Discord was created and they all blamed a lack of moderation.
(They would for example only tolerate the stonks meme to a certain point but would want the mods to intervene when the shit thread pokes fun at people losing their parents or they would leave)

2. Then you have a number of members who only post in the shit thread and some would even say that the board is not dying but thriving because ResetEra has given them ample content.
(They think it's ok to make fun of ResetEra members who still live at home losing their parents. They don't care what group 1 thinks and ignore the rest of the board including group 3)

3. Finally you have the group that's in between and don't mind the shit thread as long as it isn't too shit. They don't take internet discourse that serious to begin with.
(They think dying parents are a bridge too far but enjoy the meme stonks meme maybe a bit too much to the point that group 1 wants it moderated)

I'm not sure how you can bring these groups together. Some have asked me to create a new Discord where everyone could join without gate keeping to be true to the roots of the bore. But I don't see group 1 joining that Discord so it would just be another split. But I'm willing to try if pepole feel that's a good idea.

As for the board dying, that is only natural without new registrations. I feel like if the registration would open up more lost GAF/ResetEra souls would join us.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 06:48:39 AM by Nintex »
🤴

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 07:10:43 AM »
the idea that I'm supposed to play nice if I'm let in is one the most hilarious things to me for multiple reasons  :lol

I think it’s more sad that some people stuck their necks out to establish a chance for you and you decide to bitch about it here instead. Guess when I’m wrong, I’m wrong. Good luck to you

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 07:11:54 AM »
Group 3  :playa
Margs

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 07:13:02 AM »
I'm a fan of the multi-channel experience. I've actually had discussions with this over DM with a number of members on the board and Discord.
Some you might expect, some you might not. Out of those talks I've concluded that the issue is that there's 3 different groups and they've drifted apart.

1. There seems to be a number of members that have broken ties with the anarchist 'everything goes' roots of the bore.
They would rather have a more sanitized or 'clean' message board without the shit, wank dad, conspiracy, politics, meme bandwagon thread etc. for starters.
Most of them weren't active on the board anymore long before the Discord was created and they all blamed a lack of moderation.
(They would for example only tolerate the stonks meme to a certain point but would want the mods to intervene when the shit thread pokes fun at people losing their parents or they would leave)

2. Then you have a number of members who only post in the shit thread and some would even say that the board is not dying but thriving because ResetEra has given them ample content.
(They think it's ok to make fun of ResetEra members who still live at home losing their parents. They don't care what group 1 thinks and ignore the rest of the board including group 3)

3. Finally you have the group that's in between and don't mind the shit thread as long as it isn't too shit. They don't take internet discourse that serious to begin with.
(They think dying parents are a bridge too far but enjoy the meme stonks meme maybe a bit too much to the point that group 1 wants it moderated)

I'm not sure how you can bring these groups together. Some have asked me to create a new Discord where everyone could join without gate keeping to be true to the roots of the bore. But I don't see group 1 joining that Discord so it would just be another split. But I'm willing to try if pepole feel that's a good idea.

As for the board dying, that is only natural without new registrations. I feel like if the registration would open up more lost GAF/ResetEra souls would join us.
Why would you want to? The modern internet is all about insulation.
Tend to your garden and have it grow up exactly as you want it, Discord is better for that purpose, this is one of the reasons forums are dead in the first place.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 07:14:09 AM »
Who the fuck are u anyway?

Discord is shit fuck off with that crap
What

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 07:38:54 AM »
I think it’s more sad that some people stuck their necks out to establish a chance for you and you decide to bitch about it here instead. Guess when I’m wrong, I’m wrong. Good luck to you

A chance at a fucking discord chat. Come on... Absolutely pathetic. No wonder Filler doesn't want in.

Propagandhim

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2021, 07:43:35 AM »
#freefiller

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2021, 07:45:12 AM »
im in the super secret group 4, here for the likes :drool
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2021, 07:46:25 AM »
I literally asked him not be antisemitic and it was too much, fuck off with that shit, Hardcore Retro

ringlow

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2021, 07:49:12 AM »

A chance at a fucking discord chat. Come on... Absolutely pathetic. No wonder Filler doesn't want in.
A lot of us like filler and understand he wont fit in unless he somewhat neuters himself, I know it's a selfish ask, but I'd rather have 40% concentrate filling than no filling  :juicy

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2021, 08:11:55 AM »
I literally asked him not be antisemitic and it was too much, fuck off with that shit, Hardcore Retro

Yes, let's invite the edgy shitposter. No, you can't do edgy shitpost.

What...

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2021, 08:19:57 AM »
^ doesn’t get it

Imma let you being stupid slide since Mercury is in retrograde

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2021, 08:20:51 AM »
I like both. It does bum me out that several posters have left the board, including Stoney Mason now. I don't blame them. It's weakened the experience on the board, but the board gets what the board deserves. I'm glad I can bump into them outside the board.
except 2l3372bu.  :'( they gone completely.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2021, 08:26:50 AM »
^ doesn’t get it

Imma let you being stupid slide since Mercury is in retrograde

Yes, dangling a discord of all things in front of someone as some reward for behaving well isn't stupid. If you're jewish and he does antisemitic shit half the time, why'd you want him there in the first place. That's stupid.

Tasty

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2021, 09:07:44 AM »
My brain is incompatible with the Discord model. I will probably never be able to adapt from message boards.

But a Tasty-less Discord is probably a feature, not a bug for some people. :trumps

ringlow

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2021, 09:09:13 AM »
My brain is incompatible with the Discord model. I will probably never be able to adapt from message boards.

But a Tasty-less Discord is probably a feature, not a bug for some people. :trumps
Not true, i'm bummed you're not in there regularly :-\

Tasty

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2021, 09:11:25 AM »
:( I really don't get the appeal of Discord, sorry.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2021, 09:13:25 AM »
whats a forum?

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2021, 09:17:23 AM »
Yeah, Tasty, come play with me :(

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2021, 09:21:40 AM »
Isnt discord just IRC with a better frontend

Why is it so popular? People like chat rooms now?
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2021, 09:29:10 AM »
whats a forum?

a miserable pile of broken boomers. but enough posting, have at you!
©@©™

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2021, 09:40:40 AM »
Every time I've joined a chat room it's turned into this weird HS psuedo-drama where people form clicks, ostracize others, abuse power or use it as a way to infect others with their sadness.  Not all the people, but just enough to make it a bad experience. People reliving their high school trauma through a chat room.

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2021, 09:43:13 AM »

Yes. In a nutshell. Just picture the Bore but on chat.
Sometimes I like the quick back and forth. It has its use. Though I'm more into the forum posting style on a whole. I'm more partial to the pace and permanence of a forum. Not that I get FOMO on Discord. That doesn't matter to me. Just a general preference though I dabble with both.

Tasty

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2021, 10:01:31 AM »
Every time I've joined a chat room it's turned into this weird HS psuedo-drama where people form clicks, ostracize others, abuse power or use it as a way to infect others with their sadness.  Not all the people, but just enough to make it a bad experience. People reliving their high school trauma through a chat room.

They can't even get people to join or ask for invites without being dramatic and drawing all attention to themselves    :lol   :lol  :lol

Wasn't too long ago that people were mentioning drama on the discord server.
OH!

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2021, 10:13:49 AM »
Bro it is an internet social group of course there is drama. You are on a forum that came into being because people enjoy internet drama. But the discord is mostly chill. I think people mostly bring it up here because James begs for an invite and lol fuck James

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2021, 10:26:51 AM »
Where's my discord invite?

Tasty

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2021, 10:30:33 AM »
I've always liked both chats and forums.   Have a WhatsApp chat (a few of them w/ different topics) with some guys I've known from forums for literally 15 years.   The chat has been going around a decade now, as the last forum we were on was dying off.

One day soon:

Papa Zuck has joined the chat

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2021, 10:49:29 AM »
As someone who spent way too much time on IRC as a 90s teen, I like discord but at times it becomes super difficult to keep up, difficult to jump into an ongoing convo, what have you (I'm also terrible at this in real life)... but I prefer message boards since with them, I can engage more at my own pace (I usually visit the Bore during work downtime for instance, read a few msgs, maybe post one or two small things, and then get back to work).
^_^

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2021, 10:51:57 AM »
Thought I had the link to discord. Just tried it but it ain't working. Anyone wanna deal me in?
que

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2021, 11:04:11 AM »
Someone want to add me on MSN messenger?

SmokyDave

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2021, 11:24:48 AM »
See, I want to move from Group 2 to Group 3, but every time I pop my head out I see people saying the board is dying because Group 2 exist. I don't really make contributions worth reading, and nothing I care about is discussed at length, so I'm just kinda sat here enjoying the odd shitbin chatter but not really knowing how to dip into the rest of the board. I do feel bad that you guys appear to have 'lost' something, I just have no idea how to help you find it again.

Ah well, you'll all be dead in 75 years anyway. Who cares?

Himu

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2021, 11:25:29 AM »
Shit happens.
IYKYK

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2021, 11:37:42 AM »
See, I want to move from Group 2 to Group 3, but every time I pop my head out I see people saying the board is dying because Group 2 exist. I don't really make contributions worth reading, and nothing I care about is discussed at length, so I'm just kinda sat here enjoying the odd shitbin chatter but not really knowing how to dip into the rest of the board. I do feel bad that you guys appear to have 'lost' something, I just have no idea how to help you find it again.

Ah well, you'll all be dead in 75 years anyway. Who cares?

You’re a pretty cool cat, Dave. I wish you’d post more.

I don’t think the site is dying (at least relative to when I joined). It’s just less Shonda and flunkies which is a net positive in my book.
Margs

Himu

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2021, 11:37:58 AM »
Honestly let the nihilists have the forum. We good.
IYKYK

Rman

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2021, 11:47:02 AM »

Design matters.

gtfo with your bash terminal looking crap lol.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2021, 11:53:24 AM »
I prefer forums as well- easier to follow what's going on.

The real question is, would people come back here or start posting more if certain posters went bye-bye?

I don’t think the site is dying (at least relative to when I joined). It’s just less Shonda and flunkies which is a net positive in my book.

It's quieter than it used to be, but at the same time most of the folks saying how much better Discord is keep on coming back to post or lurk.  :P
ど助平

james

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2021, 11:56:06 AM »

The real question is, would people come back here or start posting more if certain posters went bye-bye?

It's quieter than it used to be, but at the same time most of the folks saying how much better Discord is keep on coming back to post or lurk.  :P

Thered be more activity if you opened registration you coward

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2021, 11:57:27 AM »

Thered be more activity if you opened registration you coward

Not my decision.  You know who to ask.
ど助平

ringlow

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2021, 11:58:07 AM »

i think we'd all be better off just superblocking the arguement threads tbh, like my experience of the bore has been 99% pleasant until i wander off into one of the dumb threads, we're all mostly alike with a couple of differences that are hot button issues, just wish we'd talk about that less and all focus on our communial dislike of rioutus

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2021, 11:59:22 AM »

Cya stoney

Gonna miss unsadly
What

james

« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2021, 11:59:53 AM »
There are three types of people here.

1. Givers. Folks who pour their heart and soul into the forum to create engaging and entertaining content. Also, folks who keep the like economy going with their generous clicking.

2. Takers. Low lifes with no friends in real life who used the rest is us to create a splinter discord where they can rule like little North Korean tyrants because their life is garbage and it's the only power they have.

3. Borks. People who fail to make the connection between closed registration and the lack of new posters.

I know what group I'm in.