Author Topic: Steam Deck | RNDA2, 7" display, Dock, starting at $399 (yes OLED)  (Read 30171 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Steam Deck | RNDA2, 7" display, Dock, starting at $399 (no OLED)
« Reply #360 on: October 25, 2022, 12:34:54 PM »
Patched it to include Shrek 2 also.
©@©™

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #361 on: October 25, 2022, 04:03:12 PM »
Has anyone partitioned and installed Windows on the internal SSD? Have you run into any problems doing so, like updates eating your partition? I've got Windows to Go installed on an external SSD but I feel like a jackass with that thing dangling off the back. Linux a shit.
sup

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #362 on: October 25, 2022, 04:28:33 PM »
Has anyone partitioned and installed Windows on the internal SSD? Have you run into any problems doing so, like updates eating your partition? I've got Windows to Go installed on an external SSD but I feel like a jackass with that thing dangling off the back. Linux a shit.

I would like to, but when it was first rolled out it wasn't a smooth experience driver-wise (audio etc.) and I didn't follow later developments as to whether it improved

it would be great to have in order to skirt around all the little pitfalls that come with linux/proton but I've just been tolerating the many games that do work fine, it's easy to get complacent
Uncle

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #363 on: October 25, 2022, 04:35:28 PM »

I would like to, but when it was first rolled out it wasn't a smooth experience driver-wise (audio etc.) and I didn't follow later developments as to whether it improved

it would be great to have in order to skirt around all the little pitfalls that come with linux/proton but I've just been tolerating the many games that do work fine, it's easy to get complacent

It runs fine off the external SSD, I'd just like to ditch having to connect it all the time
sup

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #364 on: October 25, 2022, 08:29:54 PM »
I might put Windows on an SD card, but I dunno if I really want to bother when CoD multiplayer would be the only reason to go through all that trouble.
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #365 on: October 26, 2022, 10:40:29 AM »
What

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #366 on: October 27, 2022, 10:24:24 AM »
Ordered one and it's being shipped, which is quicker turn around than expected because it says one to two weeks and I ordered it Sunday :leon

Let's see how long it takes to get here from the NETHERLANDS :nintex

Got it :success
(ice)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #367 on: October 28, 2022, 12:48:24 PM »

:leon
ど助平

Kurt Russell

« Reply #368 on: October 31, 2022, 08:28:42 AM »
This is weird because I strongly dislike the Steamdeck UI - it's the worst thing about it IMHO.

woke

Polident Hive

« Reply #369 on: October 31, 2022, 04:45:38 PM »
Has there been a firm consensus on what’s the best model to get? Limited reading, some don’t like the screen treatment of the 512 model.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #370 on: October 31, 2022, 06:06:44 PM »
I split the difference and got the 256gb model.
(ice)

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #371 on: October 31, 2022, 06:16:52 PM »
This is weird because I strongly dislike the Steamdeck UI - it's the worst thing about it IMHO.

It might end up being great in a year or whatever, but I wouldn't install it on anything else rn other than for a fuck around.
(ice)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #372 on: October 31, 2022, 06:33:59 PM »
Has there been a firm consensus on what’s the best model to get? Limited reading, some don’t like the screen treatment of the 512 model.

there isn't a consensus

some people :rollsafe and get the cheapest model and upgrade the NVMe supposedly for cheaper than 256/512 outright

some people go for broke on the most expensive one, I have no idea about the screen treatment, I got the middle one

the main consensus is do not get the cheapest one and try to just live with it, because the deck will fill that 64 gig with shader precaching and you'll have to do some manual work to redirect it over to a microSD or something with symlinks  :dizzy
Uncle

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #373 on: October 31, 2022, 06:34:41 PM »
Got the 256 as well. Solid price and enough space for the type of games you'd want to play on the Deck.
🤴

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #374 on: November 01, 2022, 12:01:20 PM »
I'm happy with the 512
©@©™

thetylerrob

« Reply #375 on: November 01, 2022, 04:08:23 PM »
256 gang. I also have a 500 gb MicroSD that I was previously using for a retropie.
I will probably only replace the m.2 if somebody releases an OLED kit that requires me to open the Deck up.

Polident Hive

« Reply #376 on: November 01, 2022, 05:58:23 PM »
I’ll likely go 256. It’s the principle of spending $120 extra on 200GB. Same hang up I have with Apple stuff. 512 having the screen and different case helps alleviate it, somewhat. Realistically it’s a device I’ll use around the house. The screen and case aren’t important.

Yeah. This’ll end up replacing my Pi4 as an emulator setup. Gonna get a dock with it.

What’s great about having this one standardized device is how emulators and other software are adjusted for it. GPD Win and other handhelds, always a lot of configuration for the user. Steam Deck has the community already figuring it all out.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #377 on: November 01, 2022, 06:12:14 PM »
Its pretty great for emulation up to PS2 and GC, it can do more advanced stuff but I've not fucked with any of that yet and its in gonna be a bit more hit and miss.
(ice)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #378 on: November 01, 2022, 06:37:25 PM »
my main problem with the Deck is with the 256 + 1 TB card I completely filled it with backlog + classics I need on hand + emulation and I'm unwilling to delete anything

GTAV is the biggest offender, I could probably cut that, but I want to do another main story playthrough on here and also I don't want to have to download that monster again
Uncle

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #379 on: November 01, 2022, 10:03:25 PM »
I'm glad I went with the 512 GB model for that extra storage.  Maybe one day I'll swap out a larger SSD, but this works for now.  I usually download games to the internal SSD and then copy them over to my 1 TB micro SD card.  Downloads seem to be much faster that way. I keep larger games or games I want to load as fast as possible (like fighting games) on the SSD and move everything else over to the card.

Still haven't messed with emulation on it.  :-[
ど助平

Polident Hive

« Reply #380 on: November 01, 2022, 10:15:30 PM »
Yesterday I was managing files on my oldish gaming laptop, noting what’d be good for the steam deck, and yeah. Xcom2 and Mad Max are 30 to 40GB. Hitman, as a package of all three, is over 100GB. Some games get up there.

With emulators, if it’s simple enough to manage files, I’ll keep an external hard drive plugged into the dock with all the CD and DVD systems. Worst case I’m on a flight hankering to play Radiata Stories and I don’t have access.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #381 on: November 01, 2022, 10:34:18 PM »
Yesterday I was managing files on my oldish gaming laptop, noting what’d be good for the steam deck, and yeah. Xcom2 and Mad Max are 30 to 40GB. Hitman, as a package of all three, is over 100GB. Some games get up there.

With emulators, if it’s simple enough to manage files, I’ll keep an external hard drive plugged into the dock with all the CD and DVD systems. Worst case I’m on a flight hankering to play Radiata Stories and I don’t have access.

Playing games off a micro SD card works really, really well, so just get a large enough one and you won't have too much to worry about, storage-wise.
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #382 on: November 02, 2022, 05:29:47 PM »
What

Bebpo

« Reply #383 on: November 02, 2022, 06:31:30 PM »
Btw, so if you're just playing on your home network and you're playing a game that doesn't support cloud saves, if it's not twitching timing intensive, this works pretty good with remote play.

Did that last night for a point n' click game I was playing where my desktop save was a few hours in and it didn't have cloud saves.

*NOTE* you need to go into settings on your computer for remote play and under advanced check the "play audio on host" or else your deck gets...no audio in remote play!

Like people come up with crazy solutions of basically syncing cloud save directories on both machines for making their own cloud save solutions and that's fine and all but it's a bit of work when you just want to play a game on the bed for a few nights that you've been playing on your desktop/laptop.

Thankfully most modern games support cloud save so this doesn't come up that much. But some developers/publishers still suck at this (like 50% of Square Enix releases). The fact Valve hasn't made a 100% forced solution of cloud saves and is still leaving it up to developers is pretty dumb.

One of these weekends I definitely want to try to setup some emulators on this thing and give it a run.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #384 on: November 02, 2022, 06:44:53 PM »
The fact Valve hasn't made a 100% forced solution of cloud saves and is still leaving it up to developers is pretty dumb.

I do understand it, because developers be crazy and I guess they should be free to develop the game the way they want

steam sells actual programs too with standard windows save dialogs etc. which would have no real use case for cloud saves (except program settings...) so they have to allow an avenue for no saves

some games, your progress is all tied to an online account and they don't want anything local that can be edited

with the sheer number of games being released on steam daily, it would actually take a lot of scrutiny by some poor employee to say "listen Johnny you're not Vegas Movie Studio and you're not an MMO nor an old NES game so you're gonna have to put in cloud saves"
Uncle

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #385 on: November 03, 2022, 11:38:36 AM »
Top 10 Steam Deck Games of October

By Average Daily User Count:
Vampire Survivors
Persona 5 Royal
UNCHARTED: Legacy of Thieves Collection
Gotham Knights
Potionomics
Coral Island
Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord
Victoria 3
TRIANGLE STRATEGY
SIGNALIS

By Total Hours Played:
Vampire Survivors
ELDEN RING
Cyberpunk 2077
Stardew Valley
No Man's Sky
Fallout 4
Hades
Persona 5 Royal
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
Grand Theft Auto V
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #386 on: November 03, 2022, 04:53:34 PM »
Pretty crazy that we used to wonder if our PC's could handle Cyberpunk 2077 and now it runs on a handheld  :whew
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #387 on: November 04, 2022, 12:24:43 AM »

:leon

NOSTALGIA :rejoice

3U is great but would I be a weirdo if I just went vanilla Tri? Lol.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #388 on: November 09, 2022, 11:29:19 PM »
ど助平

Polident Hive

« Reply #389 on: November 10, 2022, 03:23:14 PM »
My building sends photos of packages we get. Saw the Valve box. I only ordered this two days ago. Not complaining.

Bebpo

« Reply #390 on: November 10, 2022, 04:17:50 PM »
My building sends photos of packages we get. Saw the Valve box. I only ordered this two days ago. Not complaining.

Welcome to the team.

Polident Hive

« Reply #391 on: November 11, 2022, 07:30:47 PM »
Have to set aside time to really mess with it, but just holding it. This thing is shockingly light. Not grabbing a kitchen scale to see what it is versus Switch and GPD Win. Probably heavier in grams. The ergonomics and comfortable have it feeling lighter in the hands.

Polident Hive

« Reply #392 on: November 12, 2022, 07:58:27 PM »
Yeah. This thing is badass. Any headaches are outside intended use cases, trying to understand Linux desktop mode to run Windows mods/fan patches. In it, it’s amazing to load up some obscure old unsupported PC game, and it just works, with community control schemes ready to go.

Using the Wii U stand for this. Finally justifying that purchase after nine years.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #393 on: November 13, 2022, 01:06:13 PM »
also it's incredibly easy to customize your own control schemes, add functionality for the back buttons or trackpads, including overlay radial menus with icons and everything
Uncle

Polident Hive

« Reply #394 on: November 13, 2022, 03:11:21 PM »
Yeah. It’s much the same system as the Steam controller back in the day. That… had its fans. Whatever interesting ideas they were playing with were refined for the Deck. That the dpad and all the standard inputs feel good here, I’d be interested in a new Steam controller for docked play.

Bebpo

« Reply #395 on: November 13, 2022, 05:01:51 PM »
Yeah, now that I'm starting to play Steam Deck a bit more, I'm very happy with the machine and all the features. Gonna be a useful device for years.

I hope they do a refresh apple style every 3-5 years with a power bump for newer games. I probably wouldn't upgrade since the majority of what I'm going to be using Steam Deck for in the next ten years are 2d indie games that run on a toaster, but would be nice to have more powerful ones every few years if you wanna play 3d stuff.

Polident Hive

« Reply #396 on: November 14, 2022, 10:29:13 AM »
I can see a spec bump if they went with a higher resolution screen model. For the games I’m playing on this, 800p is perfectly fine.

What’s fun if a little sad is discovering all the games I own. At about a thousand games in the library, I wasn’t aware I owned the Dead Rising series. I own Ryse, that Xbox one game. The westernized Ace Combat. The third person Front Mission mech shooter. Lost Planet 3 ?? Somehow six different Dirt games. That’s just Steam. Epic Games Store works on this and I have over a hundred free games there. Haven’t looked into GOG or uplay and others.

Polident Hive

« Reply #397 on: November 16, 2022, 10:50:50 PM »
Emulation is great on this thing with headroom beyond what I’d need. Past PS2 and GameCube, I don’t really care. It’s doing those at 3x resolution. Everything below can use accuracy focused emulators with loads of enhancements. Overclocking PS1 CPU 500x for frame rate, perspective correction to fix texture wobble, and high enough resolution bumps that it’s unnoticeable.

Think I’ll pick up a second as card and dual boot Batocera for emulation. It’s cleaner and I’m used to it on my Pi4.

Finally gonna get around to playing the Bulk Slash translation.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #398 on: November 17, 2022, 08:24:24 AM »
Past PS2 and GameCube, I don’t really care.

I got a bunch of cube exclusive games and then I was like oh boy let me grab some of those great PS2 games also

wait GTA3 and VC are on steam and better

wait kingdom hearts is on PC and better

wait final fantasy X is on PC and better

so is katamari, okami, resident evil...

MGS2 is what you'd grab, I guess?  Shadow of the Colossus?

once you get into PS2 gen, nearly everything good was ported, so you don't need to emulate it
Uncle

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #399 on: November 17, 2022, 11:07:28 AM »
theres loads of hot shit that hasn't been ported, what are you talking about bruv?

anything with any form of licensing for starters.
(ice)

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #400 on: November 17, 2022, 01:40:06 PM »
you're right I need to emulate darkened skye that skittles licensed game
Uncle

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #401 on: November 17, 2022, 02:06:00 PM »
Darkened Skye was actually released on the PC too. Download it from an Abandonware site and see if you can get it to install/play on a Steam Deck for science! :lol
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #402 on: November 17, 2022, 03:40:48 PM »
theres loads of hot shit that hasn't been ported, what are you talking about bruv?

anything with any form of licensing for starters.
Yeah it sucks that you can't play any of the old Need for Speeds or Eurocom James Bond games because of these licensing issues. :fbm
🤴

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #403 on: November 17, 2022, 05:44:44 PM »
playing the classic ps2 pro evolution soccer games :rejoice
(ice)

Polident Hive

« Reply #404 on: November 17, 2022, 08:38:28 PM »
Saddened to report the Steam Deck doesn’t have the raw power to emulate Atari Jaguar. Club Drive too strong.

thetylerrob

« Reply #405 on: November 17, 2022, 09:45:14 PM »
Been playing the Maximo games, those never got ported  :steiner :sistine

Polident Hive

« Reply #406 on: November 18, 2022, 01:42:41 PM »
Maximo and Gungrave were the only playable PS2 games on my old GPD Win. On the Deck, only Urban Chaos (Rocksteady’s pre Batman shooter) is choppy, of what I tested.

Think the hang ups for Xbox (xemu) and above are software compatibility. Not power. JSRF and Obi Wan both play great, but some visual glitches and can crash. Gunvalkyrie is too choppy.

With PS3, 3D Dot Game Heroes seemed perfect, but crashed. Not too interested in trying others.

Wii U, what is there that isn’t on Switch or elsewhere? Devil’s Third?

Switch, I do and don’t understand the appeal of emulating it. Mario 3D’s Bowser mode is 30 fps in handheld mode and 60 fps docked. Yuzu lets you toggle modes. Deck ran the docked 60 fps mode just fine. That’s a use case. But I’d rather just play it on the Switch. The convenience is already there versus dragging out an Xbox or PS3.

Nokia ngage. Perfect. Ashen at 176x208. Number pad mapped to the right analog.

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #407 on: November 22, 2022, 09:18:45 PM »
Uncle

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #408 on: November 23, 2022, 04:18:38 PM »
A mistake anyone could have made.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #409 on: November 29, 2022, 08:54:31 PM »
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #410 on: December 01, 2022, 09:07:03 AM »
Steam is giving away free Steam Decks during the Game Awards

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/thegameawardssteamdeckdrop2022

Make sure to register and watch TGA from within Steam
What

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #411 on: December 02, 2022, 05:25:23 AM »
To enter you must be in the US, Canada, UK, or EU

:rage

itm

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #412 on: December 02, 2022, 08:31:46 AM »
To enter you must be in the US, Canada, UK, or EU

Where are you?
What

Svejk

« Reply #413 on: December 05, 2022, 12:53:58 PM »
"You need to have made a purchase on Steam between November 14, 2021 and November 14, 2022"

What kind of bullshit requirement is that?!? 
Guess I won't be eligible.  Last thing I bought was on Oct. 2021.

What if I was waiting for a Steamdeck before purchasing anything further, you nutcups?!   :steiner
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 01:11:54 PM by Svejk »

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #414 on: December 05, 2022, 08:28:17 PM »
itm

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #415 on: December 15, 2022, 06:10:16 PM »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1603410814244859904

interesting but expected given the current state of the gaming market.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #416 on: December 16, 2022, 10:50:09 PM »
Steam Deck Lite plz :rejoice :gaben

=

=                                ?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #417 on: December 20, 2022, 03:15:11 PM »
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #418 on: December 20, 2022, 03:45:14 PM »

I played the first demo, that was an absolute blast.
🤴

Polident Hive

« Reply #419 on: December 20, 2022, 06:07:27 PM »
Steam Deck is the first time I’m truly playing with PS2 emulation. There’s a lot of community work that’s actually a little annoying to get going, has to be done game to game, but essentially remasters the games. The mix of 60 FPS, widescreen, and deinterlacing. They’re GameShark type codes put into a pnatch file.

There’s probably some way to use the right touch pad to mimic the handful of games with pressure sensitive face buttons of the PS2. Mapping it to square in MGS2. Aside from Kojima, nobody really used that gimmick.