Author Topic: What did you finish in 2022?  (Read 5382 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: What did you finish in 2022?
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2022, 11:18:08 AM »
- AI: The Somnium Files: Nirvana Initiative (Xbox)
- Immortality (Xbox)
- Trails in the Sky SC (Steam)
- Trails in the Sky the 3rd (Steam)
©@©™

Rahxephon91

« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2022, 12:27:10 AM »
Resident Evil VIII: Winter's Expansion.

Main Game: I was a little cold on REVIII. It was a fine action RE and RE comfort food in terms of level design and structure. I enjoyed it enough, but it felt kind of boring. Like all of the real imagination was in the first part. When they announced a TPS I was excited. It could be like a whole new game and in the style of game, I prefer for the series.

So what I got was a decent TPS. Nothing amazing, plays about as well as those Revelation games, maybe a bit smoother as you can easily use hip fire. Which in away really makes this a bit more actiony. Like it doesn't feel as weighty or purposely tense as 4 or REMAkE2.

But it works well enough and the game really is RE Comfort food. If you really hate the first perspective, it's good enough.

Shadow of Rose: Well in the tradition of RE DLC this tries to paired down mini-campaign, with a little more horror aspect. It mostly works if you see it as a little bonus. It does feature a very clever and scary part that I think rivals Villiage's own horror moment. Better if only because it's well used in a gameplay framing.

Outside of that it's just more REVIII. A mini 8 really. The story even touches on the same stuff complete with unsubtle ghost dad energy. It's disappointing because of how much it really is a simply more VIII. To the point that it really does nothing to advance any RE plotline, but instead put a bow on VIII.

Hamarr

« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2022, 08:38:34 PM »
Dead Space 2 and 3. I got a couple of false starts on 2 years ago. I didn't like the change from something like a System Shock clone to more of an action game, but it was much better this time around. 3 wasn't as bad as I had heard but it gets tedious really quickly.

Far Cry 6. Meh. I enjoyed the setting more than 5, but the story and characters were worse. The main villain was really wasted in this game. I might go back to it if the season pass goes on a deep discount. I uninstalled it rather than try the endgame content.

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands. This might be my favorite campaign of the Borderlands series, but I had no interest in the end game. I started a new character instead.

Forza Horizon 5 (reached Hall of Fame)
Prey
The Gunk
Omno

Rahxephon91

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2022, 12:24:13 AM »
The Callisto Protocol.

I enjoyed this game, I guess the general reaction has been mixed. Maybe that can be blamed on people expecting Dead Space again. I'm not sure. The game isn't perfect. Most of the complaints you've heard are correct. The melee is janky, it's linear, and the story is simple. The positives are also true in that the game is amazing looking. One of the first games for me to really feel next-gen. It looks like those Unreal tech engines come to life.

I guess I simply have low standards as I liked it and didn't find the flaws people have expressed.

The game is linear and it has no map. No puzzles. The structure is straightforward, but I'm an FFXIII fan so I guess that doesn't bother me. I don't mind linearity and I think it mostly works here. If anything because yes there is no map. While it does lead to some annoying instances where you want to know where the store is to offload things, in general, I think this confusion adds some tension. There are enough little pathways off of the main path to constantly make you feel like you are exploring and that the environment is well-realized. In a way it adds to the tension and mystery as you may not be quite sure you are going the correct way. That's kind of a nice horror feeling and since it is linear it doesn't feel making or like backtracking.

The combat is melee focused for most of the game, but honestly, I don't feel like the game is always throwing tons of enemies at you. Most of the first half is one-on-one and in a way, I feel like what they were going for is head-on tension feeling in the combat. You have to face your fear is perhaps the theme of the game and well that translates to the gameplay. When an enemy comes your way you had to meet it head-on. The melee does feel visceral and it does lend itself to the catharsis of finally waking a monster to death.  As the game goes on it does become more shooter focused. It does throw more enemies at you, but in one of those game segments if you are being swamped by enemies it's because you have failed the game's simple stealth.  Even then it's not like the game doesn't give you enough tools. The telekinesis is always viable and the game really does make you use all your tools.

In a way, I feel like this is an over-the-shoulder game that was not trying to be a clone of RE4 and do its own thing. I don't think it all comes together that greatly. I think if they did make another one simply putting more emphasis on shooting combat, and some crowd control, all while maintaining the dodge system would probably make more people happy. But I don't think it was needed for me. I felt like this is a game that really tried to make its progression and survival horror more natural and in a way more "hardcore". What I mean is I often feel like in say RE4 it's kind of a trick the game pulls over me to make me feel like I really do not have enough ammo. In the end, I usually do. Callisto also seems to have randomized drops of stuff, but often I did feel like I was short on ammo and melee is what I had to do. Of course, as it went on I felt more confident and my weapons were more powerful, but even up the end ammo and inventory were a concern. I legit feel like the developers were trying to make a real survival horror game and not simply an action game pretending to be one.

The story though is as typical as survival horror games go. So much so that you could fill in the blanks yourself. Nothing really exciting happens, but it's all presented well even though it is all pretty mundane.

But in the end, I really enjoyed this game and I really hope they get to make more.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2022, 07:21:01 PM »
Pokemon Scarlet.

I enjoyed the game. I've seen fans say this is the best Pokemon game in years. I'm not as well-versed in the series, so I can't speak to that. I can say it's for sure better than Sword. Which seemed to lose all energy in the 2nd half of the game. Summed up by the fact that one of the last towns is actually just the gym and a corridor. 

So I do think it's a huge improvement and while yes plenty has been said about how ugly the game is, the scale of the open world is pretty cool. In a way, it reminds me of the old days of World of Warcraft. Where traveling to Ironforge for the first time felt like an actual journey. Checking the map to plan your path as you venture forth through a world that feels realized. In Scarlet, there was a town I wanted to get to from the 2nd Gym/town and I mapped out that I would have to go through this mountain region and then cut down south to the main port city in order to cross over to a road that would take me back up north. It felt like an adventure in the way Pokemon should. It just sucks that it looks the way it does. It's great when your trecking around and realize that big looking mountain in front of you is scalable, but that sense of world and adventure is impacted when that mountain looks as low rez and terribly textured as it is. Not looking like a mountain, but instead a clump of brown something.

But it does feel like an open world in the purest sense. Yes, there is a clear order to things, but you really could if you wanted to tackle the game any way you want. I was trying to climb the terrain in the Snow region of the game to get to one of the last two gyms. Only to realize I landed at the one I was not aiming for, the one that seemed to be the toughest gym. I simply decided to go for it and I won. The game does feel really open.

The only thing I'd ask for is for regions, routes, and towns to have more interesting things going on. Here it's mostly open non-descript terrain in between the honestly cool-looking towns. While cool, still doesn't have that many unique exciting things going on.  Making the world more interesting should be what they focus on, while improving the technical aspects.

While yes the game looks ugly for the most part it's not without any attractive aspects. Named characters like the gym leaders and other story-relevant characters all have stylish designs. They are colorful and exhibit just a lot of energy. They also are very well animated and thats used very well to have their personalities come across. While the cities may murder your eyes with jaggies, on a base level they are all pleasant looking.

As for the gameplay. It's Pokemon. It is fine. The fundamentals are solid, if anything the menus and whatnot just need to be faster and more responsive. Pokemon just has a very slow-feeling battle system. The Pokemon go-ish auto-battle is cool and makes grinding and material collecting easy. So it does feel like a worthwhile addition. The Terastal mechanic I think does spice up the battle. More then a simple power-up, since it changes the Pokemon's type it does really keep you on your toes in regards to just powering through an enemy trainer's type make-up. I would actually say this game had a decent challenge.

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2022, 05:50:57 PM »
Since I’m unlikely to complete any other games this year, here is my list.

Xbox completions 2022

Mortal Shell
The Walking Dead: Season Two
Guardians of the Galaxy
Elden Ring
Hades
Citadel: Forged with Fire
Fallout 76
Generation Zero
Cyberpunk 2077
The Ascent
Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising
Echo Generation
Far Cry 5
Monster Sanctuary
Dodgeball Academia
Raji: An Ancient Epic
Weird West
Undertale
Civilization Revolution
Boyfriend Dungeon
Outriders
Nexomon
Wolfenstein: Youngblood
Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling
Going Under
Assassins Creed Odyssey

Rahxephon91

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2022, 02:40:27 PM »
Gungrave Gore:

It's Gungrave and in a way its the best version of that. These are survivability games where they just throw tons of enemies at you and you do your best to live. It's like an arcadey brawler, but with guns. It is fun and the game through enough combinations of its enemy types to keep you active.

But the problem is this game just goes on too long and anytime it attempts platforming its miserable.

Tasty

« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2022, 07:21:59 PM »
Literally didn't finish a single game but maybe this would be a good place to post our end-of-year wrap-ups? I know Nintendo sends them out and I think Sony does too.

None of these should surprise anyone who knows me lol.

• 1300+ hours on Animal Crossing: New Horizons (still need that last painting damnit... will finish off the achievements in 1-2 years when my recurrent AC bug bites me again)
  • OMORI is either my favorite game ever, or close to it (I own both digital and physical copies for Switch)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel is everything I ever wanted in a YGO game (F2P + totally cross-platform + up-to-date OCG/TCG list)

• I am a massive The House of the Dead fan as everyone knows, and the Remake is pretty good but I need to get a Joy-Con gun attachment before I can really dive into it

• 90% of my SNES Online time is Super Mario World, I get drunk and zone out still getting a kick from pulling off all the moves I did as a kid (even with the HD + Bluetooth lag, and this is the only game outside Guitar Hero I actually notice it, my muscle memory just has SMW on actual hardware with a CRT baked in)
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is another drunk favorite, I've had fun battling randos with voice chat going (the only game I've really ventured out and done that with) -- my online Battle Mode score currently sits at 6762 :D

• 45% Simulation is Animal Crossing, obviously
  • 15% "Board Game" is YGO Master Duel, I would imagine
  • NEO: The World Ends With You makes up all my RPG time (10%)
  • Tetris Effect counts for the 8% Puzzle score
  • 7% for "Adventure" is probably the random demos I'd try for 10-15 mins

Coax

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2022, 12:09:41 AM »
Disco Elysium I think is the only game? Enjoyed the dialog system and characters (particularly the non-Final Cut voices). The way one can level up the skills for meandering thoughts about the environment and vibe of the city that spring up sometimes entirely for world flavor was nice.

But gawwwd the traversal is terrible. Feels like 90% of the game is spent walking around, which is sluggish (maybe this changes if you take certain drugs, idk) and the invisible navigation boundaries don't allow fluid pathing around obstacles so the character will jarringly move only along specific preset paths. There's a sprint button as some concession.

About 80% through the game I found a mod to speed up movement and add a couple fast travel points which made a huge difference. From what I can the Final Cut version added fast travel but I wanted to play with the original voices so eh.

Edit: forgot about Elden Ring.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2022, 12:57:09 AM by Coax »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2022, 03:18:13 PM »
SaGa Frontier: Remastered (Switch/PS1) - all stories, including all of Fuse's cases, cleared
Bobl (NES) - a homebrew physics-platformer-metroidvania where you play as a bubble: https://morphcatgames.itch.io/bobl?download
Rambo (NES)

Mega Man X2
Treasure Hunter G (replay)
Donkey Kong Country 3 (103%)
Titanfall 2 (all collectibles, normal mode)

Mickey Mousecapade (NES)
Mega Man: The Wily Wars (Genesis) - including the bonus Wily Tower
Mega Man 5 (NES)
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (Game Boy)
Tail Gator (Game Boy)
Koudelka (all endings)
Granstream Saga (both endings)
Tomba 2 (100% quest completion)
Dragon Valor (all 3 routes)
Mega Man X4 (X and Zero playthroughs)
Mega Man X5 (X and Zero playthroughs)
Legend of Mana (100% quest completion)
Tail Concerto
Crash Bandicoot 1 (all secret levels unlocked and beaten)
Crash Bandicoot 2 (all secret levels unlocked and beaten)
Crash Bandicoot 3 (all secret levels unlocked and beaten)
Paper Mario
Pokemon Snap (all Pokemon 'snapped')
Smash Bros (beat single player with all characters and unlocked everything)
Yoshi's Story (all levels unlocked and beaten)
Mario 64 (120 stars)

Live A Live (all endings, all optional content)
SMT Nocturne HD (True Demon ending)

Goof Troop (SNES - replay)
Xenoblade 3 (including all quests)
Mega Man 7 (SNES)
Mega Man 4 (NES)
Golgo 13 (NES)
Little Nemo: The Dream Master (NES)
TMNT: Shredder's Revenge (all collectibles, all challenges except the 'don't get hit once' ones, both story and arcade)

Mega Man 6 (NES)
Trails of Zero
Stray
Star Ocean: The Divine Force (beat Ethereal Queen and became Es'sowa Master)

Also "beat" Vampire Survivors but have some more content to unlock
^_^

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2022, 01:19:03 AM »
I didn't play videogames this year, it felt good.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #71 on: December 23, 2022, 04:30:19 AM »
1. Call of Duty 3 (replay)
2. Far Cry 6
3. Gorogoa
4. Gears of War 5: Hivebusters
5. Mothered
6. Shadow of Memory
7. Sonic Generations (replay)
8. Ender Lilies: Quietus of the Knights
9. Blaster Master Zero
10. Detention
11. It Takes Two
12. Blasphemous
13. Halo Infinite
14. Monument Valley 2
15. Siren: Blood Curse (replay)
16. Crackdown (replay)
17. Demon's Souls Remaster
18. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (replay)
19. The Looker
20. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
21. AI: The Somnium Files: The Nirvana Initiative
22. Call of Duty WWII
23. Cyberpunk 2077
24. Silent Hill Origins (replay)
25. Beacon Pines
26. Homefront: The Revolution
27. Silent Hill (replay)
28. Silent Hill 2 (replay)
29. Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity
30. Silent Hill 3 (replay)
31. Resident Evil Village: Shadow of Rose
32. Dead Space 2 (replay)
33. Dead Space (replay)
34. God of War Ragnarok

Might cram in another game or two.

Edit:
35. Banjo-Kazooie (replay)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 02:22:41 PM by HardcoreRetro »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2022, 02:48:42 PM »
Don't think I can cram anything else in before the new year, so:

Xbox One:

AI: The Somnium Files
Lost Judgment
Rainbow Six Extraction
Dark Souls 3
Record of Lodoss War Deedlit sdkfljdk shit name
Telling Lies
Narita Boy
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins
Code Vein
Outlast 2
Devil May Cry HD Collection (DMC1+DMC2+DMC3)
The Wild At Heart
Scarlet Nexus
Tiny Tina's Wonderlands
Tales of Arise
Myst
Twelve Minutes
Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion
AI: The Somnium Files: Nirvana Initiative
Raji
Dodgeball Academia
Omno
Psychonauts 2
Psychonauts (Xbox)
Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series
The Quarry
Escape Dead Island (Xbox 360)
Last Stop
TMNT: Shredder's Revenge
Devil May Cry 5
Cuphead DLC
Escape Academy
Lost Words: Beyond the Page
The Artful Escape
Mighty Goose
Flynn: Son of Crimson
Soul Hackers 2
Metal: Hellsinger
The Procession to Cavalry
Visage
Pac Man World Re-PAC
Beacon Pines
Deathloop
The Forgotten City
Resident Evil Village - Shadows of Rose DLC
SIGNALIS
A Plague Tale: Requiem
Elden Ring
The Chant
Firewatch
Sonic Frontiers
Gorogoa
Final Fantasy 7 Crisis Core Reunion

Switch:

Shin Megami Tensei 5
Xenoblade Chronicles 3
Kirby and the Forgotten Land

PS4:

Okage Shadow King (PS2)
Wild ARMs (PS1)
Syphon Filter (PS1)
Ape Escape (PS1)
IQ Intelligent Qube (PS1)
Hot Shots Golf (PS1)
MediEvil (Remake)
Horizon Forbidden West
Trails of Cold Steel 3

PS5:

FF7 Remake Intermission DLC
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Returnal
Astro's Playroom
Red Faction (PS2)
SyphonFilter 2 (PS1)
Stray
Demon's Souls
God of War Ragnarok

PS2:

Silent Hill 3
Obscure: The Aftermath

PS1:

Silent Hill

Xbox:

Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 4
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy

Vita:

The Michael Jackson Experience HD

Gamecube:

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Viewtiful Joe
007 Agent Under Fire
007 Nightfire
fat

archnemesis

« Reply #73 on: December 28, 2022, 03:35:42 PM »
Jan 1 - Loop Hero (PC)
Jan 6 - Lego City Undercover (PS4)
Feb 4 - Picross S7 (NSW)
Feb 19 - Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS5)
Feb 25 - Smallworld (iOS)
Mar 1 - Lego Harry Potter: Years 5–7 (PS3)
Mar 8 - D&D Lords of Waterdeep (iOS)
Apr 1 - Pokémon Legends: Arceus (NSW)
May 30 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NSW)
Jun 9 - Triangle Strategy (NSW)
Jun 11 - Kirby and the Forgotten Land (NSW)
Jul 6 - Crying Suns (iOS)
Jul 16 - Rebel Inc. (iOS)
Jul 23 - Spirit of the North (PS5)
Jul 29 - Stray (PS5)
Aug 23 - Hollow Knight (PS5)
Aug 28 - Automatoys (iOS)
Sep 24 - Gris (NSW)
Nov 3 - Picross S8 (NSW)
Dec 11 - Phantasy Star IV (NSW)
Dec 16 - Tunic (PS5)
Dec 29 - Atari 50: the Anniversary Celebration (PS5)

I didn't get much quality gaming time this year. Many of these I played with my children.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 01:52:12 PM by archnemesis »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2022, 10:09:56 PM »
I forgot I played through Crossfire X as well this year.

Probably a reason for that.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2023, 03:19:59 AM »

:rejoice Whew, after 3 months and nearly 400 hours I've finally (mostly) caught up on Trails. :rejoice Can't wait to play Zero and the other 3 Trails games that are coming out in 2023! :rejoice

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, lol why do they hate Kevin? He barely even get a mention in the entire Cold Steel Quadrilogy. And also Olivert got straight married??? Look at how they've massacred my boys. :cry  :cry
[close]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2023, 03:24:19 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2023, 03:33:30 AM »
Joe, in the first pressing of the next arc Kuro, there is a group picture of all the Grail Knights and they forgot to include Kevin.
They later patched it and put him in the picture  :lol
For whatever reason they keep forgetting he exists. Everyone in the Kiseki community thinks it's weird.

Bebpo

« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2023, 03:38:13 AM »
Well, this year was pretty shit for me, but being stuck at home for a lot of it I got a lot of movies/tv done (107), books done (31), but just a mid year for games. Usually try to get at least a game a week for 52. Ended at 47 thanks to blasting through a bunch of short games this last week. Will figure out my top10 list tomorrow.

Monolith After the End 3/4
Spookware Ep1 3/4
Windjammers 2 2.5/4
Nobody Saves the World 2.5/4
Guardians of the Galaxy 3.5/4
Destiny 2 - Forsaken 3/4
Horizon: Zero Dawn 3.5/4
Horizon: The Frozen Wilds 3/4
Horizon 2: Forbidden West 3/4
Stranger in Paradise: FF Origin 3.5/4
GT7 4/4
Elden Ring 3.5/4
Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye 2.5/4
Seventh Lair 3/4
Milk Inside a Bag of Milk Inside a Bag 2/4
Opus: Echo of Starsong 2.5/4
Her Story 2.5/4
Xenoblade 3  3/4
Immortality 2.5/4
Return to Monkey Island 3.5/4
The Secret of Monkey Island replay w/Talkie Edition 3.5/4
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge 3/4
Kuro no Kiseki II 3/4
RE8 Expansion: Shadows of Rose 2.5/4
Xenoblade 3 DLC2 2.5/4
Hitman 3: Ambrose Island DLC 3/4
Milk Outside a Bag of Milk Outside a Bag 1.5/4
Curse of Monkey Island replay 3/4
When the Past was Around 3/4
Signalis 3.5/4
Unmetal 3/4
Bayonetta 3 3/4
Bad End Theater 2.5/4
Dungeons of Dreadrock 2/4
God of War: Ragnarok 3.5/4
Warhammer: Vermintide 2 3/4
Zachtronics Solitaire Collection 3.5/4
Resistance 3 3/4
What Remains of Edith Finch 3.5/4
Pentiment 3/4
Super Robot Wars 30 3/4
Abzu 3.5/4
Mini Ghost 2.5/4
Stray 2.5/4
Long Live the Queen 3/4
Murder House 2.5/4
Northern Journey 3.5/4

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2023, 04:08:35 AM »
My final list:

- Gorogoa (XSX)
- Elden Ring (XSX) 🏆
- Tiny Tina's Wonderland (XSX) 🏆
- Life is Strange: True Colors (XSX) 🏆
- Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion (XSX) 🏆
- A Memoir Blue (XSX) 🏆
- Demon's Souls (PS5)
- Dark Souls: Remastered (XSX)
- Bloodborne (PS5)
- The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan (XSX)
- The Dark Pictures: Little Hope (XSX)
- The Dark Pictures: House of Ash (XSX)
- The Quarry (XSX)
- AI: The Somnium Files: Nirvana Initiative (XSX)
- Immortality (XSX)
- Crayon Shin-chan Summer Vacation (Steam)
- Trails in the Sky SC (Steam)
- Trails in the Sky the 3rd (Steam)
- Trails of Cold Steel (Steam)
- Trails of Cold Steel II (Steam)
- Trails of Cold Steel III (Steam)
- Trails of Cold Steel IV (Steam)
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2023, 06:57:49 AM »
From what I can remember

- A Plague Tale: Innocence
- HALO Infinite
- Metroid Dread
- Fire Emblem Warriors
- Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster
- Final Fantasy II Pixel Remaster
- Ace Combat 7
- Resident Evil 2 - Ray tracing patch
- Resident Evil 3 - Ray tracing patch
- Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge
- Live A Live
- Xenoblade Chronicles 3

I was hoping to finish Elden Ring in 2022 but I got nowhere close.
Got stuck somewhere in Tunic too.
🤴

Beezy

« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2023, 02:40:02 PM »
The Gunk
Touhou Luna Nights
Scarlet Nexus
TMNT: Shredder's Revenge
Guardians of the Galaxy
Dodgeball Academia
Metal: Hellsinger
Taiko no Tatsujin: The Drum Master

Didn't realize until now that I haven't finished any of the "big" games. I started a lot of that I didn't finish in 2022.