Author Topic: Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard  (Read 10533 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Re: Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2022, 01:14:48 PM »
From what I understand the thinking at MS is that COD Warzone can be their multiplatform FPS GaaS and future installments partially, timed or fully exclusive to Xbox/GamePass/PC. At some point Microsoft will try to put GamePass on Playstation.
The COD teams also expect this is the end of annual COD post 2023 as Warzone will take-over from the 'annual releases'.

Apparently Microsoft wants Toys for Bob and Beenox back on their own projects such as mascot platformers.
In fact there's rumors that Microsoft already had one in development or was starting such a project with one of those studios following the release of COD Cold War.
similar to how Crystal Dynamics is helping them out with Perfect Dark, it just wasn't announced yet.
🤴

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2022, 05:31:28 AM »
If this leads to a just MS as the HD machine future...and all xbox exclusives are on pc anyway.. this ultimately means all you need is a PC and whatever Switch UUU Ninty is pushing at the moment. :rejoice
Hi

Tasty

« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2022, 08:36:35 AM »
:wiiu

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2022, 10:03:24 AM »
Microsoft don't need to make any games exclusive, they just need to make the Xbox the lead platform and make the DLC come out first on their platform. If they do that, a large part of the crowd moves across automatically. We saw this with the 360.

The 360 was not only the game for the crowd bc of the DLC. It was the defacto COD console already

It became the lead CoD box with Modern Warfare and Xbl.  Nobody cared about this series before that. 
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2022, 10:44:59 AM »
People forget Call of Duty 2 was a 360 launch title and did very well.

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2022, 10:58:57 AM »
Imagine playing Modern Warfare or any of that gens Call of Doodys on a PS3 tho :scust
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2022, 06:33:18 PM »
COD was mainly a PC franchise at first.

Call of Duty 2 on the Xbox 360 was the first Call of Duty for consoles that turned heads and did well but still below PC numbers. Partially because Rare made such a mess out of Perfect Dark Zero so Xbox gamers looked elsewhere for their FPS fix.
They pooped out COD3 in 8 months after COD2 was a big hit and to bank in on the PS3 and Wii launches as well. It wasn't very good but COD2 was only a year old and still had a growing player base so it didn't really matter for the popularity of the series.
COD2 still remained Xbox console exclusive though it never got a PS3 port despite being one of the biggest games of that generation until...

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare on Xbox 360 released, just after HALO 3 did. That's when it started to rival the PC player base and COD became the biggest shooter on the block. The right game at the right time.
It also meant that going forward COD would become more and more aimed at consoles. I believe it wasn't until 2015 that Sony struck a marketing deal with Activision for exclusive content and the promotion of Call of Duty on consoles.
One of those things that made people question if Microsoft would even be able to keep the Xbox One and the Xbox brand itself afloat.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2022, 10:17:31 PM »
People forget Call of Duty 2 was a 360 launch title and did very well.

Yes, but CoD didn't get massive until Modern Warfare.  MW was the best selling game of 2007, IIRC.
ど助平

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2022, 05:18:03 AM »

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare on Xbox 360 released, just after HALO 3 did. That's when it started to rival the PC player base and COD became the biggest shooter on the block. The right game at the right time.

The glory days  :rejoice
Having to decide what MP FPS you wanted to play on any evening: COD4, Halo 3, Battlefield 2, CSS, or TF2

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2022, 05:26:12 AM »
Having to decide what MP FPS you wanted to play on any evening: COD4, Halo 3, Battlefield 2, CSS, or TF2

Finding that your friends list was evenly divided among all of them :fbm

There was something to be said about XBL in 2002-04 when everyone was playing Crimson Skies or PGR2 because that's all there was.
itm

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2022, 08:12:55 AM »

Don't forget

- The Darkness
- Bioshock
- Half Life 2: Ep 2 + TF2 + Portal (Orange Box)
- Stalker
- Crysis 3
- Metroid Prime 3
- Medal of Honor Airborne
- Quake Wars
- Unreal Tournament 3
- TimeShift
etc. etc.

The list is literally endless

And even though it includes rare German/Polish, Hezbollah and Russian developed games this does not even include all the unofficial mods for the Source Engine that dropped.
🤴

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2022, 02:18:03 PM »
The gaming industry really went downhill once Hezbollah stopped developing games  :goty
Margs

Beezy

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #133 on: January 25, 2022, 06:14:33 PM »
Microsoft still plans to release Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong Racing and Kameo on Nintendo GameCube. :idont

If they move COD22 to 23 or don't do COD23 and just Warzone then whatever COD comes after COD22 is exclusive to Xbox.
The likely scenario is COD22 in 2022(or delayed to 2023) and Warzone 2 in 2023. I think Warzone is now big enough to be a stand-alone COD release to carry 2023.
🤴

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #134 on: January 25, 2022, 06:27:27 PM »
If they move COD22 to 23 or don't do COD23 and just Warzone then whatever COD comes after COD22 is exclusive to Xbox.
The likely scenario is COD22 in 2022(or delayed to 2023) and Warzone 2 in 2023. I think Warzone is now big enough to be a stand-alone COD release to carry 2023.
I think the likely scenario is that all those games do in fact come out because they've already been in production for some time and the sale to Microsoft will not be finished for another six months at least. Also Warzone 2 is presumably another F2P BR release and thus is not part of the standard development cycle. (IW and a presumed MW2 should be on deck.)

In any case, the report specifies "at least the next three" Call of Duty releases so even if Microsoft were to delay the 2023 targeted game, it (or whatever game replaces it) would likely still be on PlayStation whenever it does come out.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2022, 01:24:51 AM »
microsoft buy konami next and save those wasted IPs

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2022, 10:09:10 AM »
microsoft buy konami next and save those wasted IPs

Konami is the only Japanese dev I hope gets snatched up by one of the big three because of this.
^_^

Tuckers Law

« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2022, 10:18:31 AM »
Which would be the monkeys paw choice though?  I feel like Sony or Microsoft might try modernize and “smooth out” some of the quirks necessary for a lot of Konami’s great series to really work, so my first impulse would want Nintendo to have them.  But then Nintendo is also Nintendo, and it would be great to have something like Metal Gear or Castlevania not in the hands of a company perfectly willing to let the franchises lie in dormancy for decades.  Though I guess Konami does that already…

Svejk

« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2022, 01:24:08 PM »
I'd be quite alright with full fledged remakes of MGS 1-4.  :D (Twins Snakes doesn't count)

And maybe a SOTN remake by Vanillaware.  :P

If they got bought up by anybody though, don't really see any of that happening.  Just a re-selling of ports for the umpteenth time skraight Nintender style.

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2022, 05:03:09 PM »
just had a shudder go down my spine thinking about a western studio remaking any MGS game :kobeyuck

unless it's a demons souls style hot new graphics but still the exact same game (with more modern controls) type thing
(ice)

BisMarckie

« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2022, 05:13:13 PM »
A Sony made MGS where Big Boss tries to fix his relationship with Solid, Solidus and Liquid.
There is going to be a new playable character, who is a strong independent woman: A clone of The Boss.
There will be sad indie rock tunes.

Metal Gear Solid: Goddess of War

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2022, 05:17:15 PM »
I think the likely scenario is that all those games do in fact come out because they've already been in production for some time and the sale to Microsoft will not be finished for another six months at least. Also Warzone 2 is presumably another F2P BR release and thus is not part of the standard development cycle. (IW and a presumed MW2 should be on deck.)

In any case, the report specifies "at least the next three" Call of Duty releases so even if Microsoft were to delay the 2023 targeted game, it (or whatever game replaces it) would likely still be on PlayStation whenever it does come out.
Call me when COD 2022 launches on the Switch Pro  :teehee
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2022, 05:21:56 PM »
just had a shudder go down my spine thinking about a western studio remaking any MGS game :kobeyuck

I feel like Konami already tried this themselves with MG Survive.

BisMarckie

« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2022, 05:26:52 PM »
Survive was an amazing feat. They managed to make the best controlling third person action game actually incredibly boring and dull to play.

Survive probably had a dev budget of 5000 bucks.

Svejk

« Reply #145 on: February 01, 2022, 08:51:52 AM »

benjipwns

Tasty

« Reply #147 on: February 09, 2022, 11:02:57 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #148 on: February 22, 2022, 06:12:19 PM »
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: February 22, 2022, 09:33:30 PM »
:thinking

Wonder if they will release a new Warzone to make up for it.

Edit: Yup.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1496259246001905670
ど助平

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #150 on: February 23, 2022, 07:14:50 AM »
A shocking move

Lmao
What

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2022, 08:22:43 AM »
I wonder how much this is down to MS, if they wasn't selling Kotick would probably chain their staff to their desks until Nov 2023 :trumps

also this smells like the treyarch joint will be CALL OF DUTY GOES OPEN WORLD FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER :win
(ice)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2022, 02:23:42 PM »
MS buys Activision, CoD gets a one year delay.

:pika

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2022, 02:27:07 PM »

Jason Soyer wrecked :pacspit
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: November 25, 2022, 05:21:46 AM »
They really need to fuck off and let this deal go through asap.

I need Microsoft to shake things up at Activision
What

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2022, 04:18:04 AM »
I need Microsoft to run Activision into the ground like they've done to every other studio.

ftfy

who is ted danson?

• ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀✋💎✋🤬
« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2022, 05:28:27 PM »
fuck the feds
we need more shit on gamepass
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2022, 06:12:23 PM »
fuck the feds
we need more shit on gamepass
This is the only reason why I want MS to buy the Husk of Activision :trumps

I don't know what the feds are thinking if this falls through the Activision stock price will plummet, making it a target for a buy-out anyway.
Unless they prefer EA to buy it for 2 cents on the dollar and run COD into the ground within a year, just hand it over to team green.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 06:52:41 PM by Nintex »
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #159 on: January 15, 2023, 10:46:08 PM »
GAMERS RISE UP: https://www.saverilawfirm.com/our-cases/microsoft-acquisition-of-activision-litigation
Plaintiffs
23. The Plaintiffs named below are individual citizens of the cities and states listed.
Each Plaintiff is a consumer of video games, all with the express interest and intent in ensuring
that the industry remains competitive, with the utmost innovation, output, choice, and price
constraints, now and in the future. The potential acquisition of Activision Blizzard by Microsoft
threatens loss and harm to the Plaintiffs, and to the public at large, of the salutary benefits of
substantial competition within the video game industry.

24. Dante DeMartini is a video gamer located in San Francisco, California. Mr.
DeMartini plays video games on the PlayStation console and on his personal computer using
Windows OS. Mr. DeMartini plays or has purchased titles from Activision Blizzard, including
multiple versions of Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Overwatch, Overwatch 2, Starcraft II, Diablo
III, and Hearthstone.

25. Curtis Burns Jr. is a video gamer located in San Francisco, California. Mr. Burns
plays video games on the PlayStation console. Mr. Burns plays or has purchased titles from
Activision Blizzard, including Call of Duty.

26. Nicholas Elden is a video gamer located in Hoboken, New Jersey. Mr. Elden plays
video games on Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo Switch, and on mobile devices. Mr. Elden plays or
has purchased titles from Activision Blizzard, including Call of Duty, Diablo, Tony Hawk, and
others.

27. Jessie Galvan is a video gamer located in San Francisco, California. Mr. Galvan
plays video games on the PlayStation 5 console. Mr. Galvan plays or has purchased titles from
Activision Blizzard, including Call of Duty.

28. Christopher Joseph Giddings-LaFaye is a video gamer located in San Rafael,
California. Mr. Giddings plays video games on his personal computer using Windows OS. Mr.
Giddings plays or has purchased titles from Activision Blizzard, including Call of Duty and
Overwatch.

29. Steve Herrera is a video gamer located in Oakland, California. Mr. Herrera plays
video games on PlayStation consoles and the Nintendo Switch. Mr. Herrera plays or has
purchased titles from Activision Blizzard, including Call of Duty titles, Overwatch, Overwatch 2,
Crash Bandicoot, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

30. Hunter Joseph Jakupko is a video gamer located in Los Angeles, California.
Hunter Joseph Jakupko plays video games on Xbox and PlayStation consoles as well as his
personal computer using Apple OS. Mr. Jakupko plays or has purchased titles from Activision
Blizzard, including Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty: Warzone 2, World of Warcraft,
and Overwatch 2.

31. Daniel Dermot Alfred Loftus is a video gamer located in San Rafael, California.
Mr. Loftus plays video games on PlayStation consoles. Mr. Loftus plays or has purchased titles
from Activision Blizzard, including Call of Duty and Overwatch.

32. Beowulf Edward Owen is a video gamer located in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Mr.
Owen plays video games on his personal computer using the Windows operating system and Xbox
consoles. Mr. Owen plays or has purchased titles from Activision Blizzard including Call of Duty
and Overwatch.

33. Ivan Calvo-Perez is a video gamer located in San Francisco, California. Mr. CalvoPerez plays video games on the PlayStation consoles and on his personal computer using
Windows OS. Mr. Calvo-Perez plays or has purchased titles from Activision Blizzard, including
Call of Duty, Diablo, Starcraft, and Warcraft 3.
PRAYER FOR RELIEF
A. Declaring, finding, adjudging, and decreeing that the agreement to
consolidate Microsoft and Activision Blizzard violates Section 7 of the Clayton Antitrust
Act, 15 U.S.C. § 18.
B. Preliminarily enjoining Defendants from consummating the merger, or, if
necessary, ordering divestiture, during the pendency of this action.
C. Permanently enjoining Defendants from consummating the merger or
requiring divestiture.
D. Declaring the contract between the Defendants to be null and void and
against the public policy of the United States which declares that competition rather than
combination is the rule of trade in the United States;
E. Declaring the reverse termination fee agreement between Defendants to be
null and void and against the public policy of the United States; and
F. Awarding to Plaintiffs their costs of suit, including a reasonable attorney’s fee,
as provided by Section 16 of the Clayton Antitrust Act, 15 U.S.C. § 26.
G. Granting Plaintiffs such other and further relief to which they may be
entitled and which the Court finds to be just and proper.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2023, 01:28:06 PM »
Can I sue them for not bringing Tony Hawk to Steam?
What

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2023, 01:32:00 PM »
I have it on steam :smug
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2023, 04:04:05 AM »
What

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #163 on: January 19, 2023, 11:19:20 AM »
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
What

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2023, 03:13:18 PM »
Its in my steam library on my steam deck, therefore I have it on steam :elon
(ice)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: February 08, 2023, 08:51:05 AM »
Its in my steam library on my steam deck, therefore I have it on steam :elon

No
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2023, 07:50:12 PM »
Looks like they managed to tank Xbox enough

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1631321704029999106
🤴

Beezy

Pissy F Benny

« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2023, 11:47:17 AM »
As long as Phil lets them make (good) Tony Hawk games and doesn't roll every half decent studio into the COD content mine its fine by me :elon
(ice)

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2023, 05:28:34 PM »
Hopefully Tony Hawk comes to Steam
What

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #174 on: March 25, 2023, 07:12:46 PM »
They need to get the backwards compatibility team back together, there's a shitload of Activision published OG/360 games MIA
sup

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #176 on: June 27, 2023, 08:31:12 AM »
https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1673486928191029248

lmao they wanted to outright buy Sony and considered Nintendo a 'mobile' company.

🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: June 27, 2023, 12:52:59 PM »
Stephen Totillo is making all the wrong assumptions  ??? ::)
What

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #178 on: June 29, 2023, 06:27:00 PM »
The FTC is losing the argument on console exclusivity badly. The judge also doesn't buy that the Switch is somehow its own seperate market.

https://twitter.com/FOSSpatents/status/1674544278020947968
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2023, 05:01:13 AM »
If a injuction is granted then lmaoooo that would be so dumb

Ftc was horrible in court. No evidence just conjecture
What