Author Topic: Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard  (Read 10523 times)

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
Re: Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2022, 09:57:27 PM »
How Phil Spencer and Activision Blizzard are the Thomas Jefferson and Louisiana Purchase of Gaming

My latest on Substack

Would that make Sarah Bond Lewis and Clark?

Svejk

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2022, 10:35:21 PM »
All of this is leading to Yum! Brands buying up them all.

And then everything is TACO BELL.

(Image removed from quote.)

PS5 is locked in at this point in marketshare mindset.
The Bethesda sale damage and this damage won't even start for a few years. Starfield being the first major game Playstation loses.

But it will definitely effect PS6 generation when MS is known as the box with CoD and Oblivion/Fallout.

I think the question is whether or not these games won't be on other platforms.  We still get Minecraft on everything despite Microsoft owning it.
I have a hard time believing that MS will leave such a game; like Starfield, to be PC and MS only.  With such a massive install base for PS5 already, it seems like the only thing to do is release it there later, like Sony has done with their first party stuff of late on PC.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 10:40:39 PM by Svejk »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2022, 10:58:56 PM »
How Phil Spencer and Activision Blizzard are the Thomas Jefferson and Louisiana Purchase of Gaming

My latest on Substack

That analogy would have been apt if MS had bought Ubisoft, not Actizzard :bolo

Rahxephon91

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2022, 11:27:46 PM »
I mean how long at this point does it become that first-party just means on the system exclusively for a year?

Maybe crazy, but with how media is going I'm not sure.

Kestastrophe

• "Hero" isn't the right word, but its the first word that comes to mind
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2022, 11:31:26 PM »
Pretty awesome as a consumer if it continues to trend
jon

Svejk

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2022, 11:40:53 PM »
I mean how long at this point does it become that first-party just means on the system exclusively for a year?

Maybe crazy, but with how media is going I'm not sure.
That's totally fine with me.. Other than Nintendo, I see that being the reasonable approach from all platforms and storefronts/launchers. 

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2022, 11:50:02 PM »
on a purely pragmatic level, it's kinda fuckin dumb as shit we're mining all these rare minerals and dealing with supply chain chip issues then buying multiple pieces of hardware that are almost like for like. if m$ buy everything out to the point sony is unable to continue as a primary platform owner and hardware consolidates around m$ and nintendo... c'est la vie.
◕‿◕

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2022, 11:58:43 PM »
I think having chips in anything and everything now might be a much bigger problem than having 3 console manufacturers instead of 2, but I'm not an expert.

Bebpo

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2022, 12:41:24 AM »
You know, rather than SE, if Sony wanted to buy someone they should buy From Software. Make that Bloodborne 2 happen.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2022, 02:58:03 AM »
https://twitter.com/gregisenberg/status/1483432456548196358
https://twitter.com/DavidNage/status/1483441414675615753

Wow, if anything can concisely encapsulate the entitlement of gamers, it's this.
Next up, they'll want to get paid for going to Disneyland, and commenting that the Matterhorn could maybe go a little faster.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2022, 03:51:13 AM »
Gamers only want the upside of being a shareholder/investor and want to do none of the hard work like buying stock in a publically traded company instead of Amiibo
🤴

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2022, 10:01:54 AM »
Come on guys, when has a multi billion dollar acquisition not been in your favor

tbh I'd argue that the Namco Bandai merger was good for English-speaking Tales fans. More resources for translation.
^_^

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2022, 11:13:56 AM »
I called Call of Duty "Call of Doody" on The Bore, where's my $70 Billion?
©@©™

Pissy F Benny

• Is down with the sickness
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2022, 11:18:44 AM »

same :fbm
(ice)

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2022, 11:31:26 AM »
You know, rather than SE, if Sony wanted to buy someone they should buy From Software. Make that Bloodborne 2 happen.
I don't get why this keeps coming up.  :thinking

From Software is doing great, getting fully bought would bring nothing to the table (not for them, nor for the consumers).
Furthermore, they are (likely) perfectly willing to work on Bloodborne 2, as soon as Sony makes that phone call.
Also FS is Kadokawa's, so they'd have to go through them (Sony does own some shares, but it's probably not as cheap as if FS was just a free company).

Rahxephon91

« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2022, 11:43:53 AM »
Make an NFT out of it.

Tuckers Law

« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2022, 01:05:53 PM »
No. Until Sony stop being fucking trash with how they handle their legacy system games, I’d rather From stay third party and focus on bringing their releases to both PC and consoles.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2022, 01:09:54 PM »
I’d rather From keep doing what they want then be at the whims of Sony. I doubt Sony would find say a new Armored Core. They also clearly have had a chance to fund a BloodBorne 2, but haven’t why?

Svejk

« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2022, 01:20:20 PM »
I’d rather From keep doing what they want then be at the whims of Sony. I doubt Sony would find say a new Armored Core. They also clearly have had a chance to fund a BloodBorne 2, but haven’t why?
Who says they haven't?  I think they haven't peeped about it yet because they didn't want to take away any thunder of DeS remake (and now Elden Ring).  Then they'll update BB on PS5 later this year with a tease of BB2.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2022, 01:39:56 PM »
i wonder how much MS spent making sure certain facts about activision/blizzard came to light to set the scene for them to swoop in like knights (they/them) in shining armour and save dozens of beloved titles from festering in moral putrification.

MS know the value of a good ESG rating when it comes to keeping anti-trust quiet.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2022, 01:53:53 PM »
No. Until Sony stop being fucking trash with how they handle their legacy system games, I’d rather From stay third party and focus on bringing their releases to both PC and consoles.
Every developer is, for the consumer, better off as a third party, since exclusives are bad.
The exception to this, is when a studio is in bad waters, and would risk closing (or turning into trash) otherwise.
This is definitely not the case with From Software, which is doing more than fine.

The reason why i don't mind MS's acquisitions too much (so far), is that they seem to want to move into a direction of spreading their games to more platforms, not tied to the box so much (but to the service, instead) which is not ideal but still better than having to buy a single box.
On top of having bought some studios that were exactly doing amazing, though this depends on who we're talking about.
Arkane went from flop to flop their whole existence basically, so for them it's probably a life saver, Acti-Blizz could also see a quality improvement from this, for others not so much.

I also like not paying 80€ for an arcade game or a cosmetic remake.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #83 on: January 19, 2022, 02:57:49 PM »
It is glorious watching Sony fanboys trying to cope with this news. Fucking glorious.
Spud

naff

« Reply #84 on: January 19, 2022, 03:27:25 PM »
I think having chips in anything and everything now might be a much bigger problem than having 3 console manufacturers instead of 2, but I'm not an expert.

you right... just making excuses for my monopolistic fantasies
◕‿◕

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2022, 06:58:18 PM »
i wonder how much MS spent making sure certain facts about activision/blizzard came to light to set the scene for them to swoop in like knights (they/them) in shining armour and save dozens of beloved titles from festering in moral putrification.

MS know the value of a good ESG rating when it comes to keeping anti-trust quiet.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say - zero dollars.

naff

« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2022, 08:30:08 PM »
just want d2 resurrected to hurry up and get on gamepass
◕‿◕

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2022, 10:14:57 AM »
:crowdlaff
Wow, if anything can concisely encapsulate the entitlement of gamers, it's this.
Next up, they'll want to get paid for going to Disneyland, and commenting that the Matterhorn could maybe go a little faster.
https://twitter.com/Vessinvests/status/1483512610402283530

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #88 on: January 20, 2022, 11:06:21 AM »
No one builds communities or guilds around grocery stores.

No one dedicates thousands of hours of their lives to a grocery store.

Excuse me?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #89 on: January 20, 2022, 12:50:39 PM »

Until Disney opens a grocery store. :soyjak
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #90 on: January 20, 2022, 03:26:47 PM »

Excuse me?

I think you mean

Shit has memberships and everything.

Tasty

« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2022, 03:35:01 PM »

Also if you're dedicating your life, and thousands of hours of said life, to a videogame or community, you have seriously misplaced priorities and you probably need a lot more perspective on what's important. (Not knocking 1000+ hour game logs, but you shouldn't be giving a game more importance than its worth.)

Unless that community's The Bore, of course. Then it's A-OK.

None of this would be a thing if gamers were fine with gaming just being a hobby, but no, it has to be this important transformative thing that will save all of society from itself... somehow.

Beezy

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2022, 06:01:09 PM »
“I was looking at the IP list, I mean, let’s go!” Spencer said. “ ‘King’s Quest,’ ‘Guitar Hero,’ … I should know this but I think they got ‘HeXen.’ ”

Let's fucking go :rejoice
🤴

Bebpo

« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2022, 06:15:00 PM »
Blackthorne revival time?

Bebpo

« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2022, 06:17:16 PM »
https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/1484273335139651585

Have no idea  :doge

If I had guess a reaaaaally loose guess on the future of MS, they'll keep CoD on Playstation and rake in the sales $$$ and keep away from antitrust issues, but all CoD DLC will be Xbox exclusive.

And more importantly all Activision/Blizzard/Bethesda franchises outside CoD will be Xbox exclusive.

CoD may just be the one franchise too large of a sales giant to cut off from Playstation exclusively. But there's no doubt the Xbox versions will be the best each year.

benjipwns

« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2022, 06:19:13 PM »
There would be no anti-trust issue if Microsoft were to make Call of Duty Xbox exclusive.

Beezy

« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2022, 06:24:39 PM »
If COD won't be exclusive, then the DLC won't be either

Tuckers Law

« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2022, 06:27:15 PM »
https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/1484273335139651585

Kind of feels like the corporate equivalent of Microsoft son’ing Sony.

“Don’t you worry kid, you’ll still get your call of doodies.”

Bebpo

« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2022, 06:29:50 PM »
There would be no anti-trust issue if Microsoft were to make Call of Duty Xbox exclusive.

I don't know. The issue is that CoD and GTA basically are the highest selling software in America in the game industry. If one company bought the exclusive rights to it I could see there being some issues potentially in terms of monopolizing an industry. Same thing is someone bought GTA and made it exclusive.

I mean if there were no concerns about CoD being exclusive triggering problems, why would MS even do it beyond the next couple of years they have contracts in place with Sony already? They don't need the money. I don't believe MS is just "nice guy MS" and gonna release on Playstation for the heck of it. I think if they do release CoD on Playstation for the next decade each year it will be because they are concerned about trouble if they don't.

Bebpo

« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2022, 06:33:14 PM »
That being said I do think Phil Spencer is a lot like Shuhei Yoshida and Masahiro Sakurai where they don't really care about the console war bullshit and are friends with everyone in the industry regardless of which company they are at and generally not a dick. But still Spencer's day job is to do what's best for Xbox and MS and that means fucking over Sony sometimes.

Tasty

« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2022, 07:00:18 PM »

Another reason why I wish Tim Sweeney had won.

benjipwns

« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2022, 07:02:31 PM »
I don't know. The issue is that CoD and GTA basically are the highest selling software in America in the game industry. If one company bought the exclusive rights to it I could see there being some issues potentially in terms of monopolizing an industry. Same thing is someone bought GTA and made it exclusive.

I mean if there were no concerns about CoD being exclusive triggering problems, why would MS even do it beyond the next couple of years they have contracts in place with Sony already? They don't need the money. I don't believe MS is just "nice guy MS" and gonna release on Playstation for the heck of it. I think if they do release CoD on Playstation for the next decade each year it will be because they are concerned about trouble if they don't.
No, none of these are anti-trust issues. Microsoft isn't anywhere close to being a monopoly not even if they owned Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto and Mario.

They'll release Call of Duty on PlayStation as long as 40% or more of the console market is on PlayStation because they make too much money that way not to. Going straight to zero sales from the PlayStation segment of the market doesn't make any sense until they're sure that they'll pick up enough new additional sales on Xbox from people buying the platform.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 01:18:08 PM by benjipwns »

Tasty

« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2022, 07:44:51 PM »
They'll release Call of Duty on PlayStation as long as 40% or more of the console market is on PlayStation because they make too much money that way not to.

Elder Scrolls 6 says hi.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2022, 07:48:09 PM »
I think this move is more to strengthen their streaming service and game pass. Perhaps even though call of duty would stay on PlayStation, it would only be available for streaming on XCloud and only available in a subscription service with game pass.

If COD won't be exclusive, then the DLC won't be either

Don't they already do exclusive DLC with Call of Duty?
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2022, 07:48:56 PM »
They'll release Call of Duty on PlayStation as long as 40% or more of the console market is on PlayStation because they make too much money that way not to.

Elder Scrolls 6 says hi.

Are those games anywhere near as popular as Call of duty though?
ど助平

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2022, 07:51:33 PM »
From what I understand the thinking at MS is that COD Warzone can be their multiplatform FPS GaaS and future installments partially, timed or fully exclusive to Xbox/GamePass/PC. At some point Microsoft will try to put GamePass on Playstation.
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2022, 07:54:05 PM »
At some point Microsoft will try to put GamePass on Playstation.

:huh
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2022, 07:54:24 PM »
Phil Spencer, September 2020:

To take away a core franchise at this stage in their reparative game would be impactful in a negative way that contradicts everything Microsoft has built in the last two years. It's because of that focused effort and streamlined marketing strategy that I think that if we see a The Elders Scrolls 6 excluvity at all, it could very well be a timed-agreement only. And that's if it happens at all.

Phil Spencer, 14 months later:

It’s not about punishing any other platform, like I fundamentally believe all of the platforms can continue to grow. But in order to be on Xbox, I want us to be able to bring the full complete package of what we have. And that would be true when I think about Elder Scrolls VI. That would be true when I think about any of our franchises.

Microsoft is an absolute snake no matter what division you have the misfortune of dealing with. Shit's gonna be worse for everyone but total Xbots. :idont

Tasty

« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2022, 07:55:46 PM »

Elder Scrolls 6 says hi.

Are those games anywhere near as popular as Call of duty though?

That's a short list of games, if that's the criteria you need.

We have recent history to inform us what Microsoft wants to do here. Whether next year or in 5 years, total exclusivity is the obvious endgame. Gaming is once again copying Hollywood, this time with corporate consolidation and eyes on content farms.

Tasty

« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2022, 08:05:26 PM »
Also Skyrim sold 30 mil, which only places it behind MW3 and BLOPS1. Yeah, I'm gonna say The Elder Scrolls Series is kind of a big deal.

And Microsoft DGAF.

benjipwns

« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2022, 08:13:09 PM »
Microsoft is an absolute snake no matter what division you have the misfortune of dealing with. Shit's gonna be worse for everyone but total Xbots. :idont
https://twitter.com/dan0play/status/1483449480804454400

Bebpo

« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2022, 08:26:10 PM »
Ironically until this fiasco I had no idea Call of Duty Warzone was a F2P game. Like others have said it sort of makes CoD yearly releases irrelevant if they have a F2P with the largest CoD player base and they keep updating it.

Tasty

« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2022, 09:06:43 PM »
https://twitter.com/dan0play/status/1483449480804454400

Never heard anything good about Teams.

In fact I often heard the opposite, back when I was in tech.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2022, 09:14:28 PM »

Excuse me?

I think you mean

But do they have branded shoes?  :doge

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John

Tasty

« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2022, 12:07:12 AM »

Excuse me?

I think you mean

But do they have branded shoes?  :doge

Probably. I've seen Rocco from Mega64 wear a Walmart hat.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2022, 03:35:29 AM »
Microsoft don't need to make any games exclusive, they just need to make the Xbox the lead platform and make the DLC come out first on their platform. If they do that, a large part of the crowd moves across automatically. We saw this with the 360.
Spud

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2022, 04:15:30 AM »
Microsoft don't need to make any games exclusive, they just need to make the Xbox the lead platform and make the DLC come out first on their platform. If they do that, a large part of the crowd moves across automatically. We saw this with the 360.

The 360 was not only the game for the crowd bc of the DLC. It was the defacto COD console already
What