Author Topic: Remember Alpha Protocol? It's back! In GOG form.  (Read 137 times)

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey

Bebpo

Re: Remember Alpha Protocol? It's back! In GOG form.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2024, 06:37:47 PM »
Still best Obsidian game.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 08:54:18 PM »
Still have my x360 copy.

Still haven't opened it. :-/

Himu

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 02:08:54 AM »
I’ve always wanted to play it.
IYKYK

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 10:55:16 AM »
Its an AMAZING RPG, and a super shitty and broken Third Person cover shooter, so set expectations accordingly. But it handles 'player choice' pretty much better than anything I've ever played.
Its all shades of grey morality, and its tracking all kinds of shit you as a player are doing all the time and tweaking things accordingly.
And when I say all kinds of shades of grey, your tutorial mission is basically kill Osama Bin Laden, but you can choose to flip him into an asset by letting him get away at the end instead of bringing him in for justice (or administering your own frontier style there and then)

It also makes conversations and interactions mechanically interesting in a way more than ++ your paragon points to unlock a dialogue option, or play the right conversation wheel options to bang a companion (although you totally do get to bang some companions if you want). The game basically doesn't tell you shit in terms of UI prompts or whatever, but if you do your homework, find the right dossiers and make the rgiht connections, you figure out as a player how to push different NPCs buttons and manipulate them accordingly (or you can just blunder through with no fucking idea whats going on, lol)
You get perks for making people like you, but you also get perks for pissing people off.

eg (and I'm going from memory from when I first played it, so the details might be off) the Q-a-like in the tutorial level, I got some info about and it turns out he got the job because his dad is a big deal and pulled some strings to land him a nepobaby gig, so every time I talked to him I picked all the douche options, so I got a perk to something or other so I could rub it in his face that I was better than him and he only got the job because of his dad.
My mate who also played it at the same time never found that intel, so was super buddy-buddy with him and got a different perk where he could do something or other better because they're best buds and he was shipping him the good stuff. His first safe house also had a poster I never had where they'd photoshopped him and your PCs face over some fake cop buddy movie to celebrate their bromance :lol