Author Topic: The official Grand Theft Auto IV news thread (UK OPM news update)  (Read 11509 times)

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
Re: I'm really hyped for GTAIV's trailer!
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2007, 01:31:17 AM »
 :lol :lol

This thread rules.

jokereatingpopcorn.gif

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2007, 05:51:15 AM »
That trailer sucked.  The next one should be better.  Crackdown raised the bar with its co-op play and acrobatic and strength antics, too....this new GTA is going to need something more than better visuals to keep my interest.
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »
The first trailer to every 3d GTA has been about setting the atmosphere, location, and general vibe of the game, also unveiling the main character. Nothing more.

The NEXT trailer will be showing us all of the gameplay shit.
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2007, 10:37:35 AM »
That'd be interesting if they went all throughout NY state... like to Buffalo/Niagara Falls, the Adirondacks, etc. Wonder what they're gonna make LI like.

Graphics in the stills look fairly muddy, but I'm hoping that's just the results of the video compression, and the game will look cleaner in person. Looking forward to it more after I saw the trailer (I'm a sucker for seeing NYC in games), that's for sure.

I wonder if they're gonna attempt to take on 9/11 in this game...
^_^

Himu

« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2007, 10:48:54 AM »
I'm sure they'll bring it up.
IYKYK

Himu

Re: The official Grand Theft Auto IV news thread
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2007, 11:26:27 AM »
Here's an update on the WTC.

Someone posted this on gtaforums.com

Look in the background. The buildings being constructed.

Look at the real WTC reconstruction project:

I expect R* to do a sort of ode to 9/11 in the game at some point.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2007, 01:10:53 PM »
Ehehehe.

The most notable new features and stuff shall be revealed in the next issue of GI, like I expected. :)

IYKYK

Eduardo24

« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2007, 01:22:08 PM »
:(

I was dissapointed because there was no "Only for Xbox 360".  Microsoft didnīt deliver the moneyhats.  I am sad, I wanted to taste the bitter tears. :(

But anyway, looks very interesting.  Looks better than I actually expected.
DRA

Himu

« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2007, 08:50:24 PM »

Holy SHIT.
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2007, 08:52:55 PM »
fiends

Flannel Boy

• classic millennial sex pickle
  • Icon
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2007, 11:13:03 PM »

Holy SHIT.

indeed. This game is going to be great.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2007, 01:49:37 AM »
GTA features some of the most absolutely stupid "satire" I've ever seen. I can't stand when movies or (in this case) games use "satire" as a crutch; these types typically have rabid fans who usually retort "oh, it's satire though!" It sucks.

America's Top Hooker? Wow, so imaginative. Does Rockstar feel their audience is so stupid and pop culture savvy that they must resort to such low, obvious attempts at this? Whatever happened to letting the viewer think instead of telling him to giggle at juvenile bullshit?

And btw, I just watched Brazil again. That's how you do satire assholes

Himu

« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2007, 02:09:39 AM »
You're a dumbass.

Let's all post awesome gta quotes!

Jan: I'm sorry, it makes me so mad. I mean, what I heard my son Patrick
the 3rd... I heard him using slang words in the house the other day.
Rad and cool and stick it... I mean, I beat him to within an inch of his
life, and he will never make that mistake again. American should be
spoken properly!"
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 02:15:46 AM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2007, 02:17:37 AM »
You're a dumbass.

Let's all post awesome gta quotes!

Jan: I'm sorry, it makes me so mad. I mean, what I heard my son Patrick
the 3rd... I heard him using slang words in the house the other day.
Rad and cool and stick it... I mean, I beat him to within an inch of his
life, and he will never make that mistake again. American should be
spoken properly!"

So amazing! True literature indeed

Himu

« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2007, 02:20:27 AM »
I don't think anyone ever said it was true literature.

I mean, the books you get hyped up for the most part are Harry Potter books. Not really one to judge "true" literature, now are you?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 02:22:00 AM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2007, 03:48:24 AM »

I mean, the books you get hyped up for the most part are Harry Potter books. Not really one to judge "true" literature, now are you?

That was impressive Himu. Most impressive, and I'm serious :lol

But seriously, why is GTA a big deal? It's the only game that GAFers forgive for having bad graphics due to the gameplay. Any other game and it's "oh, that looks like meh!" I BET you a billion dollars that no one would give a shit about Little Big Planet if its graphics were...say Mario Galaxy quality.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2007, 03:50:01 AM »
What did people expect from the new trailer?

I like this serious vibe it gives off despite loving the humor and character that R* gave past GTA trailers. And even then, the bulletin boards and shit prove that it's going to be good ol' GTA.

Look at these comparison shots:

(Image removed from quote.)

And then people complain about the GRAPHICS in this? These graphics are amazing considering the scope (which is a given). I mean fuck. No wonder developers don't say shit about games. You can't please these people at all.

God damn can I get some fuckin GEOMETRY on a next gen system motherfuck
o_0

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #137 on: March 31, 2007, 03:53:11 AM »
It's geometry satire!

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #138 on: March 31, 2007, 04:16:26 AM »
I don't know if pd is dumb or really dumb.  It's a fucking ad.  Why the fuck are you getting on your high-horse about another forum here because of an ad?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2007, 04:19:06 AM »
Is your mind really so simplistic that you can't comprehend meaning and context? It's not about "the ad" asshole.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2007, 04:31:45 AM »
Meaning and context?  What meaning did you see in a 1:03 tech demo teaser of one of the first AAA multiplatform games you worthless, douchewipey, whining, gives-a-lot-of-shit-about-nothing idiot?

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2007, 11:51:31 AM »
Meaning and context?  What meaning did you see in a 1:03 tech demo teaser of one of the first AAA multiplatform games you worthless, douchewipey, whining, gives-a-lot-of-shit-about-nothing idiot?

Once again you fail to see the big picture. I haven't even mentioned GTAIV by name on this page. I'm talking about the series in general, but of course it's not surprising that you would fail to get the fucking point.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2007, 12:00:00 PM »
Okay, so you actually expect to bs me that you were dissapppointed by the satire in the other games in the series when you only mentioned an ad in this teaser?

Himu

« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2007, 01:12:33 PM »
I bet you pd hasn't actually played them
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2007, 01:24:10 PM »
I bet you pd hasn't actually played them

I wouldn't be surprised. He doesn't even have a PS2.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2007, 01:42:56 PM »
The absolute lowest end pc could run them well today.

I highly suggest he goes and plays them before talking about them.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2007, 01:58:10 PM »
Okay, so you actually expect to bs me that you were dissapppointed by the satire in the other games in the series when you only mentioned an ad in this teaser?

What's so hard to understand from this statement:

GTA features some of the most absolutely stupid "satire" I've ever seen. I can't stand when movies or (in this case) games use "satire" as a crutch; these types typically have rabid fans who usually retort "oh, it's satire though!" It sucks.

Are you distinguished mentally-challenged? :lol

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2007, 03:49:32 PM »
NOBODY was talking about the satire.  Give an example of the satire you hate.

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2007, 05:48:50 PM »
It's weird.  I've never liked any of the GTA series (although I appreciate the humor, the soundtracks, and the expansive game worlds), but I've enjoyed several of the GTA "knockoffs."  Just Cause was decent, and I loved Crackdown up until the ending (where the developers essentially give you the finger).  I think I just don't care for the criminal thug life aspect.  This looks nice, but I'm not into punching hookers (except in real life).
sup

Himu

« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2007, 06:25:17 PM »
You don't have to punch hookers.
IYKYK

Eel O'Brian

• Southern Permasexual
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2007, 06:54:41 PM »
yes you do, if you want that child's voice in your head to go away
sup

Candyflip

« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2007, 06:55:51 PM »

That was impressive Himu. Most impressive, and I'm serious :lol

But seriously, why is GTA a big deal? It's the only game that GAFers forgive for having bad graphics due to the gameplay. Any other game and it's "oh, that looks like meh!" I BET you a billion dollars that no one would give a shit about Little Big Planet if its graphics were...say Mario Galaxy quality.
People like the sandbox idea. Not very other many games present the option of you running around the city, stealing cars, and doing whatever. It's entertaining, and up until GTA3, there wasn't anything else like it. Obviously since then companies try to emulate their success in creating knock-off formulas, but they usually suck. Saint's Row was okay. That's it. Crackdown was trash. And lol @ True Crime.

I honestly don't give a shit about graphics. If that were the case, I wouldn't still be playing my SNES. They're a nice plus, but certainly not what makes the game. Besides, the simplicity allows for more depth and larger playing areas.
ffs

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2007, 07:02:15 PM »
I've always liked the GTA games due to the Sandbox nature but theres an underlying style about it (the reason why I can't get into the knockoffs). Its not just brand recognition but Rockstar has that "something" that makes it enjoyable. I think it lies in the characters of the game. You want to progress the story, see new people...the various crime organizations...maybe thats just me since organized crime in general interests me.

Its the reason why I can still enjoy GTAIII despite being a horrible looking game compared to GTA:SA.
:9

Candyflip

« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2007, 07:05:12 PM »
I've always liked the GTA games due to the Sandbox nature but theres an underlying style about it (the reason why I can't get into the knockoffs). Its not just brand recognition but Rockstar has that "something" that makes it enjoyable. I think it lies in the characters of the game. You want to progress the story, see new people...the various crime organizations...maybe thats just me since organized crime in general interests me.

Its the reason why I can still enjoy GTAIII despite being a horrible looking game compared to GTA:SA.
True. San Andreas was big, barren, and boring. Although I did enjoy jumping out of jets 4000 feet in the air and opening my parachute at the last second.
ffs

Himu

« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2007, 07:11:53 PM »
GTA is just fun, problems and all. Yes it has problems but the game is so goddamn fun I gloss over it. Plus, like Blue, I am a WHORE for organized crimes stories (movies or otherwise) so that helps matters a lot more.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2007, 08:24:33 PM »
meow
IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2007, 08:26:45 PM »
link?

Himu

« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2007, 08:30:13 PM »
I deleted it because it seems it's NOT deepthroat, but I'll liknk you to a post where all of his posts are compiled.

Basically, the guy joined gtaforums, and he made short stories. People thought he was a fake. Then the trailer was released and a lot of things that he brought up in his stories appeared in the trailer (NYC skyline w/ logo, Russian, blue car;etc).

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=269166&st=340

Very bottom of the page, a user named hax0rofl compiled all of his posts. It's pretty interesting. We think his stories may be actual GTAIV missions. He definitely works for R*.
IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2007, 08:46:02 PM »
Heard about him on beyond3d, sounded like rockstar put a viral marketer on one of their forums.  I just hope this gta has bigger consequences for your actions.  Not necessarily alternate endings, just more realistic ways of getting away with crimes (I.E. you run over somebody then you can just drive away and ditch the car but if you kill a hooker, you have to saw her up, put her in a gym bag, and bury her in the country).

I think a game that lets you get "%100" complete by offering missions like that and not hold your hand as much as the last games would be a lot better.

I'm playing GTA:SA right now and let me tell you, they really better not put something like fucking horseshoes or snapshots in the next one.

Himu

« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2007, 08:51:11 PM »
I agree on that. That was ridiculous and I never bothered with them. I too want more consequences for my actions.

If I kill enough people, I want bounty hunters on my ass at random times for instance.
IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2007, 09:00:27 PM »
I was going to skip them but I figured I finished every single thing in this game other than those so I may as well.  Good thing about the pc version is that there's mods to tell you where they are on your map.

Error2k4

« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2007, 09:23:05 PM »
I agree on that. That was ridiculous and I never bothered with them. I too want more consequences for my actions.

If I kill enough people, I want bounty hunters on my ass at random times for instance.
play LCS. I err forgot his name, the main dude's mother gets mad for something he did she puts a bounty on his head.

at random times, some mafia squad will go after you. it was pretty funny.
AAA

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2007, 09:52:42 PM »
I also hope GTAIV has more serious consequences for committing a crime. With the past 3 GTAs, it was fun running around doing random acts of violence. But in this game...I want to feel as though I'm working to get away from the cops. That you have to contain yourself in some way and commit a crime only when it benefits you. Also having to plan it out.

I agree with the sentiment that GTAIV has to really change the formula at a base level. Not just a GTAIII with a prettier engine.

Himu

« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2007, 10:43:58 PM »
I want the cops to do more than spawn every block when I'm being tailed. I want them to use tactics. I don't think it's right to have every single cop notice me on sight. I also don't think you should get a wanted level unless you do the act in front of a cop. Enemy gangs shouldn't be able to recognize you with any car you drive. If you drive your gang's car and it's an enemy of another's I want them shooting at me. They shouldn't, however, recognize me on sight.

I want to be able to trick the police. Someone on a gta board passed around this idea. Imagine being chased by the cops and you're in a black car. You bail and they don' thappen to see you bail. A similar car goes driving by and they chase after that one for a while. I'd like to be able to trick these guys ala MGS.

If I see shadows, I want to be able to hide in them until it's cool to come out. If I murder people randomly on the streets a lot, when I get to my safe house sometimes I want to make it feel as if someone ransacked the place with a warrant.

I'm pretty sure they'll go for something different, blue. The potential here is high, and I feel R* will deliver. The trailer in general gives me a completely different vibe than past games and I'm sure thta's what they were going for. The most important improvement they can make is better AI. As much as I love the cop chases in the game, they all play out the same way: cops come out of fucking nowhere, chase ensues, ad infinitum.  I want more realism here to make them more dynamic and open ended in the choices I make.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:48:03 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2007, 12:00:39 AM »
I want more classes.  You can be a theif, a hitman, or a smuggler.  I don't want to do something for a long time only to gain an asset for money that there's nowhere to spend.  I like how you basically start out as a nobody.  It doesn't look like you have criminal connections that are in trouble and want your help.  You can start out small but only have other people in your league trying to kill you.  I think the reason that they only said gta IV is so that you don't know what the story is centered around.  If they start doing a media blitz showing something that puts Oblivion to shame, then this could be my most anticipated multiplatform game this year.

Himu

« Reply #165 on: April 01, 2007, 12:02:54 AM »
I want to be able to choose WHAT gang I work for. If I'm starting a new life in America, I want to be make it feel as if I'm starting anew as this character. THis means, I want to be able to choose his future, not R*.
IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #166 on: April 01, 2007, 12:09:58 AM »
I think they thought up the story and then did the gameplay for SA.

Himu

« Reply #167 on: April 01, 2007, 12:33:43 AM »
I really hope games like Oblivion give them inspiration to make it more open ended. If they take notice of their past history with the series, notably gta2, they can go far. It needs to feel more non linear in terms of story progression.
IYKYK

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #168 on: April 01, 2007, 12:51:38 AM »
I like both your ideas, Himuro and Nintenho. The branching paths one. It would raise replayability when it comes to to the story aspect. Side with a gang and you become enemies of the others (for the entirety of the game). Maybe allow you to branch to another gang but not all. Make it so playing through the game multiple times allows you to see things from all perspectives.

Himu

« Reply #169 on: April 01, 2007, 12:55:07 AM »
I'd like to be able to betray my gang whenever I want, and switch sides. Being set with one gang would be boring.

They did it in GTA2. Been waiting for them to bring that set up back but with an actual storyline.
IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2007, 12:58:47 AM »
It actually feels like they're going with a different formula this gen.

Himu

« Reply #171 on: April 01, 2007, 12:59:01 AM »
It does.
IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2007, 01:44:03 AM »
I guess they figured they got way too many knock-offs of their own game (some that are really good) so they need to start innovating more.

Himu

« Reply #173 on: April 01, 2007, 01:51:41 AM »
I really hope so. :)
IYKYK

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #174 on: April 01, 2007, 01:53:25 AM »
mmm hmmm

Himu

« Reply #175 on: April 01, 2007, 01:56:09 AM »
Anticipation for this is going to go for the roof for me. GTASA single handedly became my most anticipated game ever prior to it's release, beating out FFVIII and MGS2. It exceeded my expectations in so many ways.

I expect to be wow'd playing GTAIV like I was when I first played GTAIII. :)
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2007, 11:28:31 AM »
So what songs do you expect to hear in the new game? I would be shocked if Nas's New York State of Mind didn't show up in the game .... also I think it'd be awesome if Bin Laden by Immortal Technique showed up in the game, but that might be a bit too controversial.
^_^

Himu

« Reply #177 on: April 01, 2007, 02:10:07 PM »
Hell ya. New York State of Mind would be dope on the classic hip hop station.

I expect to hear indie and underground tracks since it's modern, like GTAIII. Most modern music sucks so the really really well known licensed tracks you know like in VC and SA likely won't appear as in those titles. R* has a respect for music, especially Sam Houser who used to be a DJ, so don't expect bullshit like Fallout Boy or fucking 50 cent in the game. Expect GOOD MODERN 2000 MUSIC.

Neat feature: 10 things you don't about GTAIV
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 02:13:35 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #178 on: April 01, 2007, 02:17:39 PM »
Rockstar announced GTAIV for Wii!

Rockstar Games and Take-Two Interactive Software are proud to bring Grand Theft Auto IV to the Nintendo Wii. This version contains features exclusive to the Wii...and I don't only mean certain motion controls.

A character from the past has returned. This is a whole new Grand Theft Auto IV, and it is coming November 20, 2007...right in time for that long Thanksgiving weekend...

Rockstar Games has released a trailer. It is not 720p since the Wii does not support that, though it is in 640x360 downloadable.

View the trailer here!

Google Video (400x326): http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6307295674180257795
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 02:21:28 PM by Himuro »
IYKYK

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
Re: The official Grand Theft Auto IV news thread (GTAIV for Wii announced!)
« Reply #179 on: April 01, 2007, 05:36:08 PM »
 :lol
WDW