Author Topic: DOJ |OT| SUMMIT NOW SUMMIT NOW  (Read 898284 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Re: DOJ |OT| SUMMIT NOW SUMMIT NOW
« Reply #5640 on: December 10, 2019, 11:20:56 PM »
I don't know exactly how it works but I did speculate a few weeks ago that they watch all these idiots "debunking" alt-right/gamergate/Trump/etc. for half an hour or an hour (which it reads as "you really liked that video you watched all of it you stupid idiot") that they constantly post in threads and the algorithm thinks they want content tagged by the system with that subject, but the system probably doesn't tag it pro or con or whatever.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #5641 on: December 10, 2019, 11:34:52 PM »
I don't know exactly how it works but I did speculate a few weeks ago that they watch all these idiots "debunking" alt-right/gamergate/Trump/etc. for half an hour or an hour (which it reads as "you really liked that video you watched all of it you stupid idiot") that they constantly post in threads and the algorithm thinks they want content tagged by the system with that subject, but the system probably doesn't tag it pro or con or whatever.

stop doxxing youtube algorithms

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
« Reply #5642 on: December 10, 2019, 11:38:22 PM »
That's exactly what it is. You can setup an AdSense account right now to make your videos recommended and targeted.

Trump/Alt-Right/Anti-Vax/Flat Earth "debunk" videos or takes will share the same search tags as a given video pro/con.

When you watch H-Bomberguy put on blueface and explain to you why "feminism isn't bad" (esp. with tags like "feminism" "bad" "debunk" "trump" "alt-right") for hours, you're also going to get videos (paid for or not) that will be targeted with the same search terms. It's not exactly as involved as Facebook tracking your potential political affiliation.

Edit: Top of Page Eimi :nsfw
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Bangs  :exxy

benjipwns

« Reply #5643 on: December 10, 2019, 11:40:02 PM »
YouTube should make you click on a thing before watching any video confirming that you are not easily swayed and will take any claims in a video skeptically.

And then it should FACT CHECK the video as it plays by someone who works for TRENDOLIZER or Snopes or FactCheck.org or The Washington Post.

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5645 on: December 10, 2019, 11:45:13 PM »
somewhere on page freedom
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #5646 on: December 10, 2019, 11:52:52 PM »
please do not post alt-right gateway fee-males

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5647 on: December 11, 2019, 12:00:12 AM »

Spoiler or soiler? :gopnik

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5648 on: December 11, 2019, 12:13:50 AM »
important tweets

benjipwns

« Reply #5649 on: December 11, 2019, 12:14:26 AM »
Let's pretend I'm going to grant them mathematicians and doctors... does John Steed know anything at all about the requirements to become a pilot or teacher?

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5651 on: December 11, 2019, 12:16:41 AM »
Let's pretend I'm going to grant them mathematicians and doctors... does John Steed know anything at all about the requirements to become a pilot or teacher?
stop showing your ass

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #5652 on: December 11, 2019, 12:18:57 AM »
My best friend who was born with Muscular Dystrophy died 7 hours ago, but it's nice to know his completely preventable death was all part of god's plan or some shit.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5654 on: December 11, 2019, 12:45:21 AM »
Hitler was probably autistic because NTs don’t have the drive to be doctors, pilots, or dictators.
©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #5655 on: December 11, 2019, 12:45:46 AM »
Yeah, it was God who stopped the Nazi's. I'm not sure why my grandpa kept trying to steal some of the credit.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5656 on: December 11, 2019, 12:48:02 AM »
Joe Rogan must be autistic too. There’s got to be some way to stop them!
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #5657 on: December 11, 2019, 12:55:03 AM »
User banned (1 week): Mod-whining, misrepresenting moderation (the cited member was banned for harassing another member, not for criticizing TLJ), derailing and hostility over a series of posts + history of infractions for hostility and mod-whining

Wow @ Elegant Weapon catching a ONE MONTH BAN in that thread for complaining about this and the representation of black people in the Star Wars franchise. Any mods care to explain this?

benjipwns

« Reply #5658 on: December 11, 2019, 12:57:34 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-doesnt-netflix-have-a-free-tier.158465/
It seems like a no-brainer to me. It wouldn't have been feasible in the past but they have so much original content now that I don't understand why they don't have a free tier of service that give you access to the first season of two of all of their shows and maybe some of their movies. People could watch the first season or two of Bojack Horseman, Stranger Things, Big Mouth, etc. but have to sign up for a paid subscription once they exhausted the free content. It also seems like a great way to easily draw attention to older content. If they rotated a handful of movie in and out of the service every month or so a ton of news sites would write articles about it. For example if they made Okja available on the free tier of service a ton of sites would publish articles announcing it, and I'm sure it would be seen by a ton of people who already sub but who never got around to watching it, or realize they wouldn't mind seeing it again, or whatever.

Maybe it's just not worth it because growth has slowed to the point that they assume most people who want to sub already have and retaining current subscribers is far more important than attracting new ones. Maybe it wouldn't be worth the expense if the free service was too popular and didn't end up paying for itself with new subscribers. The former seems a lot more believable to me.

I'm not exactly a business person, maybe there's some obvious thing I'm overlooking.
I didn't say anything about ads. My idea is that there would be a limited selection of Netflix Original content available for free with zero ads.

Maybe at any give time there's the first season of a few shows, a movie or two, and a couple documentary, something like that. They would rotate every month or quarter or so. Netflix would make zero money on people using the free service, but would limit the time they can use the service by only offering a small selection of content. They could also impose a time limit per account, say a couple hour per week. As I outlined earlier, they would hopefully get people to sign up to continue viewing the shows they started, or who wanted more content similar to the movies on offer.

The issue with the free trial is you can only use it once. Let's say I used it two years ago and was unimpressed with the service, or exhausted the content I was interested in. If I want to check Netflix out again I could potentially get another free trial by creating a new account, which may be a hassle, or I can pay for an account. A free version of the service gives people like that a reason to regularly open the app, keep an eye on news regarding the service, etc.
Maybe. But I doubt many people would take advantage of it, and it would be an easy way to getting news outlets to do advertising for them, and be a nice way of occasionally shining a spotlight on their less popular original content. I could easily see news sites publishing articles about the free tier's rotating content and a bunch of people who already sub reading and realizing "Woah, I didn't know Netflix made a Trailer Park Boys movie." or "Wow, I had no idea that comic had a special, I'll check that out."

From what I understand they're the clear winner among streaming services now, but they're going to lose Friends and the Office, the other services will continue to produce new content, play with pricing, etc. Couldn't hurt to generate some good will and try to get some eyes on their lesser-known properties.
:hmm

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5659 on: December 11, 2019, 01:05:36 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-female-predator-in-hunting-grounds-sucks-and-is-significantly-worse-than-how-female-predators-are-in-novels.158361/
Quote from: Mr. Poolman, post: 27242775, member: 12987
Of course they would try to make a sexy Predator girl... of course.... smh

"Sexy"

:quark
ど助平

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night
« Reply #5660 on: December 11, 2019, 01:06:44 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-doesnt-netflix-have-a-free-tier.158465/
It seems like a no-brainer to me. It wouldn't have been feasible in the past but they have so much original content now that I don't understand why they don't have a free tier of service that give you access to the first season of two of all of their shows and maybe some of their movies. People could watch the first season or two of Bojack Horseman, Stranger Things, Big Mouth, etc. but have to sign up for a paid subscription once they exhausted the free content. It also seems like a great way to easily draw attention to older content. If they rotated a handful of movie in and out of the service every month or so a ton of news sites would write articles about it. For example if they made Okja available on the free tier of service a ton of sites would publish articles announcing it, and I'm sure it would be seen by a ton of people who already sub but who never got around to watching it, or realize they wouldn't mind seeing it again, or whatever.

Maybe it's just not worth it because growth has slowed to the point that they assume most people who want to sub already have and retaining current subscribers is far more important than attracting new ones. Maybe it wouldn't be worth the expense if the free service was too popular and didn't end up paying for itself with new subscribers. The former seems a lot more believable to me.

I'm not exactly a business person, maybe there's some obvious thing I'm overlooking.
I didn't say anything about ads. My idea is that there would be a limited selection of Netflix Original content available for free with zero ads.

Maybe at any give time there's the first season of a few shows, a movie or two, and a couple documentary, something like that. They would rotate every month or quarter or so. Netflix would make zero money on people using the free service, but would limit the time they can use the service by only offering a small selection of content. They could also impose a time limit per account, say a couple hour per week. As I outlined earlier, they would hopefully get people to sign up to continue viewing the shows they started, or who wanted more content similar to the movies on offer.

The issue with the free trial is you can only use it once. Let's say I used it two years ago and was unimpressed with the service, or exhausted the content I was interested in. If I want to check Netflix out again I could potentially get another free trial by creating a new account, which may be a hassle, or I can pay for an account. A free version of the service gives people like that a reason to regularly open the app, keep an eye on news regarding the service, etc.
Maybe. But I doubt many people would take advantage of it, and it would be an easy way to getting news outlets to do advertising for them, and be a nice way of occasionally shining a spotlight on their less popular original content. I could easily see news sites publishing articles about the free tier's rotating content and a bunch of people who already sub reading and realizing "Woah, I didn't know Netflix made a Trailer Park Boys movie." or "Wow, I had no idea that comic had a special, I'll check that out."

From what I understand they're the clear winner among streaming services now, but they're going to lose Friends and the Office, the other services will continue to produce new content, play with pricing, etc. Couldn't hurt to generate some good will and try to get some eyes on their lesser-known properties.
:hmm

"Why won't netflix be like youtube?"

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5661 on: December 11, 2019, 01:19:37 AM »
User banned (1 week): Mod-whining, misrepresenting moderation (the cited member was banned for harassing another member, not for criticizing TLJ), derailing and hostility over a series of posts + history of infractions for hostility and mod-whining

Wow @ Elegant Weapon catching a ONE MONTH BAN in that thread for complaining about this and the representation of black people in the Star Wars franchise. Any mods care to explain this?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5662 on: December 11, 2019, 02:37:27 AM »
I still don't understand how they think the algorithm is an alt-right machine, I never get anything even approaching something like that or political content at all except for when I've watched it recently and it's recommending the same channel again.

So you sometimes watch something approaching recently ?  :thinking
ὕβρις

PogiJones

« Reply #5663 on: December 11, 2019, 02:49:58 AM »
I really didn’t know how horrible they were until I started reading and listening to what autistic people on Twitter were saying.

Newsfeed

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #5664 on: December 11, 2019, 04:22:24 AM »

Elegant Weapon was arguing with Crossing Eden. 

Explained.   :trumps

I hope Elegant Weapon reflects on this and now knows he's a . . .  (checks notes) . . . "coon," when pitted against Crossing Eden. 
sigh

clothedmacuser

• Defender of Centrist Scum
« Reply #5665 on: December 11, 2019, 04:51:37 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/deadline-michael-jackson%E2%80%99s-life-getting-movie-treatment.154720/post-26735943

I’m in no way defending pedophilia but I don’t believe that MJ was one and thehard evidence against him is nonexistent. I feel he was just a troubled man that felt more comfortable with kids because he was basically a kid at heart. He never really got to fully realize his childhood either

User Banned (3 Months): Dismissing Allegations of Sexual Exploitation of Minors over Multiple Posts and Inflammatory Thread Deraillment

Is it official ERA policy that MJ was a pedo and you can't disagree?
sigh

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #5666 on: December 11, 2019, 04:57:21 AM »
They should have let him argue his position so he could see how wrong he was. I don't see what a ban (and not even a perm, lol) accomplishes

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #5667 on: December 11, 2019, 05:26:20 AM »
mods really upping those ban lengths huh? I guess the summit was longer timeouts for the naughty boys, girls and folx.

When will the paedophile defenders get their summit? 

Coffee Dog

« Reply #5668 on: December 11, 2019, 05:45:22 AM »
Love that dismissing child rape is an equivalent crime to enjoying Tropic Thunder

daemon

« Reply #5669 on: December 11, 2019, 05:56:35 AM »
I wonder how many of these obviously sane individuals that think it's better to maybe make a genetic issue spread like wildfire, condemning many generations to a range of social and functional disabilities, would be like: you know doc, don't take my tumor out, my body made it so it should never be removed from the equation. It will make me who I am until it kills me in 3 years. I'd personally extend this sort of thing to cancer stuff too, as we can see genetics does play a part. Of course make it purely informational so you KNOW that you'd be having a kid with over 50% risk of autism, or Alzheimer... or schizophrenia.

BisMarckie

« Reply #5670 on: December 11, 2019, 06:06:36 AM »
GOOGLE MURRAY BOOKCHIN JORDANN‘S POSTS ON NEOGAF DOT COM

:brain

I can't stand this! Again and again I'm insulted! Can you make an arguement without going into condescension! What the fuck did I do to you for you to go "Yes, this person deserves to be shat on! This person who has lost so much in the last month and has sucidal thoughts need to be pushed more!" What kind of joy are you getting out of treating me so shittily!?!

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5671 on: December 11, 2019, 06:23:34 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/deadline-michael-jackson%E2%80%99s-life-getting-movie-treatment.154720/post-26735943

I’m in no way defending pedophilia but I don’t believe that MJ was one and thehard evidence against him is nonexistent. I feel he was just a troubled man that felt more comfortable with kids because he was basically a kid at heart. He never really got to fully realize his childhood either

User Banned (3 Months): Dismissing Allegations of Sexual Exploitation of Minors over Multiple Posts and Inflammatory Thread Deraillment

Is it official ERA policy that MJ was a pedo and you can't disagree?

As close to official as it gets since the threads revolving around the documentary that aired recently.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 06:39:53 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

daemon

« Reply #5672 on: December 11, 2019, 06:31:12 AM »
A pedophile forum can't be seen disregarding arguments against a pedophile. It's common knowledge. Now if anyone defends era I will make a prison cell in my mind for them and tag them as pedophile sympathizers. Unnnlimited powerrrrrrr (disclaimer: not real power)

Coax

« Reply #5673 on: December 11, 2019, 06:51:17 AM »
Was reminded during a local search of the popularity of those amusing, self-deprecating 'this is NeoGAF' GIFs years ago. I wonder how they'd fly on RE.

benjipwns

« Reply #5675 on: December 11, 2019, 07:20:18 AM »
Was reminded during a local search of the popularity of those amusing, self-deprecating 'this is NeoGAF' GIFs years ago. I wonder how they'd fly on RE.

(Image removed from quote.)
That one of the guy standing up from a desk I see get posted all the time, it just has the ResetERA.com logo swapped in at the end.

benjipwns

« Reply #5676 on: December 11, 2019, 07:24:37 AM »
Oh, so this shit is a widespread opinion? I thought it was just some Era bullshit.
They get everything from Twitter.

BisMarckie

« Reply #5677 on: December 11, 2019, 07:26:28 AM »
Widespread is also stretching it. It is just a very very vocal minority throwing fits about this.

IIRC twitter said that 5% of the users are responsible for 80% or so of the total tweets.

Ghoul

• Cremation will be my last chance to have a smoking hot body. We have already made the arrangements.
« Reply #5678 on: December 11, 2019, 07:27:03 AM »
They already cured Autism, micro drinking bleach.

BisMarckie

« Reply #5679 on: December 11, 2019, 07:29:49 AM »
FACT CHECK: This guy Snowy Month Time in the replies has over 38,000 tweets and 347 followers   :doge
Torako 32,500 tweets, 404 followers.
Festive Johnny 26,000 tweets 184 followers

Ghoul

« Reply #5680 on: December 11, 2019, 07:34:02 AM »
FACT CHECK: This guy Snowy Month Time in the replies has over 38,000 tweets and 347 followers   :doge
Torako 32,500 tweets, 404 followers.
Festive Johnny 26,000 tweets 184 followers

Banned for tweet count shaming.

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #5682 on: December 11, 2019, 08:07:31 AM »

ban explanations in ban explanations

we in this now

Rman

« Reply #5683 on: December 11, 2019, 08:08:51 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/time%E2%80%99s-person-of-the-year-is-greta-thunberg.158542/

I love this quote:

"Hell yes. And grown adults will freak out about it."

Isn't most of ERA in their 30s and 40s lol. Guys posting about 90s nostalgia aren't in their 20s.  You guys are the grown adults!

What the heck?! People in their 20s and younger are on IG, Twitch, Discords, not forums.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #5684 on: December 11, 2019, 08:19:00 AM »
https://twitter.com/ReeraTakes/status/1204732195388248065

How can't they see that they're the other side of the horseshoe?

Rman

« Reply #5685 on: December 11, 2019, 08:19:30 AM »
BTW, isn't it really fucking funny how criticizing a fucking star wars movie is a bannable offense. Like to be really real I can understand how moderating discussions such as the Israel/Palestine conflict, the holocaust, 9/11, Cops shooting unarmed black men, etc. can be tough to parse through as a moderator due to emotions involved in them with the added difficulty of each of these subjects being rife with often believed conspiracy theories and such. But when ResetEra's equivalent of that is most games and moves you know you have a fucked up user base.

ERA has attached itself to the new trilogy much like Old GAF did with the mediocre Ghostbusters 2016.  You can't criticize certain aspects of it without being seen as a suspect. See the Angry Video Game Nerd, who still to this day, is seen as an alt-right enabler because he didn't have an interest in watching a garbage reboot.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #5686 on: December 11, 2019, 08:28:57 AM »

this is not a very flattering angle for this woman's face

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #5687 on: December 11, 2019, 08:30:56 AM »
Oh, so this shit is a widespread opinion? I thought it was just some Era bullshit.
resetti is just a more reactionary twitter, but neither is representative of real people

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #5688 on: December 11, 2019, 08:31:37 AM »
Normal people: That Ghostbusters 2016 reboot was pretty bad. It was poorly directed, the script was a mess and it wasted some seriously good comedic talent.

REEEsetera: You just hate teh womenz U misogynist! 
 :social2 :social :social2 :social :social2 :social
Spud

Coax

« Reply #5689 on: December 11, 2019, 08:55:21 AM »
That one of the guy standing up from a desk I see get posted all the time, it just has the ResetERA.com logo swapped in at the end.

Now you mention it, yeah, have seen that, though it feels out of place imo given how its history made more sense on GAF (I'd be curious if the member whose uncle it was is on RE). GIFs like groups of people throwing fits and the one where the guy burns his own car at a gas station are more the ones I'm thinking of. Not exactly high art but along with other little things collectively added some flavor to the board if they weren't run into the ground.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #5690 on: December 11, 2019, 09:01:08 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #5691 on: December 11, 2019, 09:20:30 AM »
User banned (1 month): sexism over a series of posts

I don't get it, devs work to be inclusive to the point of adding gender to monster aliens that kill people and the best people come up with is "I don't like this design?" I feel like the devs added something didn't have to and no one would have even noticed, but because this model doesn't look like some unfeminine roid monster someone once wrote about it's horrible? I really feel people miss the forest for the trees(they don't like). We are living in an age where female representation in games is getting more and more mainstream but we can't celebrate anything we can only complain when that representation doesn't match what we feel it should look like. Like the representation doesn't count because you don't like boob plates. Sigh. I think the design is cool and I like the fact they made a female murder machine that looks just as capable as the other predators.
Nobody is saying that. What I'm saying is for all the complaints about female characters in games, no one ever says good job or that's creative and inclusive. This is a cool looking character, let's try leading with that.
thank you mods

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #5692 on: December 11, 2019, 09:45:26 AM »

this is not a very flattering angle for this woman's face

Cauliflower Of Love

« Reply #5693 on: December 11, 2019, 09:47:22 AM »
Why would a Predator even bothering covering up an unarmored breast.

Slickness activated.

BisMarckie

« Reply #5694 on: December 11, 2019, 09:50:34 AM »
That this level of misogyny only yields a one month ban is the reason why marginalized groups like female predators are leaving in droves.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #5695 on: December 11, 2019, 09:52:10 AM »
It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it.

-Aung San Suu Kyi

This is my new favourite ironic quote

Rman

« Reply #5696 on: December 11, 2019, 10:07:38 AM »
Widespread is also stretching it. It is just a very very vocal minority throwing fits about this.

IIRC twitter said that 5% of the users are responsible for 80% or so of the total tweets.
This is why woke Twitter still doesn't get why Biden is leading.  I despise Biden, btw.  But old folks love him. And old folks vote reliably.

Cauliflower Of Love

NekoFever

« Reply #5698 on: December 11, 2019, 10:20:14 AM »
I love how the tweet that provoked a multi-page thread about female Predator anatomy and the male gaze was making fun of how that representation was going to trigger the GG types.