Author Topic: DOJ |OT| SUMMIT NOW SUMMIT NOW  (Read 898194 times)

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

Lonewulfeus

• Former Unofficial Ambassador to ResetEra
Re: DOJ |OT| SUMMIT NOW SUMMIT NOW
« Reply #7321 on: December 25, 2019, 09:31:00 AM »
Merry Christmas you hateful bitches

GreatSageEqualOfHeaven

• Dumbass Monkey
« Reply #7322 on: December 25, 2019, 10:18:52 AM »
Gul Dukat from B5 level of character growth, not just one character but all of them

:picard

Leadbelly

« Reply #7323 on: December 25, 2019, 10:34:19 AM »
https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status/1209227887125180416

https://twitter.com/BriannaWu/status/1209229091062394880

I've become really cynical about these 'stories' told by people like Brianna Wu. I'm always thinking what's missing. That tends to be at the back of my mind until I actually hear the details.

HaughtyFrank

• Haughty and a little naughty
« Reply #7324 on: December 25, 2019, 10:44:15 AM »
They really hate Gal Gadot

https://www.resetera.com/threads/gal-gadot-to-produce-movie-based-on-borderlife-banned-novel-in-israel-about-israeli-palestinian-romance.161188/

Who cares that it was a single tweet from six years ago or that she stands against Netanyahu

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #7325 on: December 25, 2019, 11:36:13 AM »
Israel’s education ministry banned the book from high school reading lists because of its depiction of a cross-cultural romance. The decision sparked protests and the novel was later allowed in advanced literature classes.
Fucking hell there's some irony.

How is that irony?

pgtl_10

« Reply #7326 on: December 25, 2019, 01:25:56 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-is-it-so-important-to-tell-kids-santa-claus-is-real.161179/page-2

I have no intention in teaching or enforcing lies in my future child's mind. Convincing a child that magic is actually real is a detriment to the early development of critical thinking in developing brain.
It's much healthier to make believe/pretend that Santa is real. Playing that Santa is real, not actually upholding a lie. If at a young age their mind is taught that illogical things are acceptable, that can have negative effect on how the assess other truths from fiction in their future. I don't want my child to walk through life thinking that anything is possible. That is how to get conned, duped and taken advantage of.

What fucking miserable people.

I feel sorry for this guy's kids.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #7327 on: December 25, 2019, 02:17:27 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-ot-respawn-of-the-jedi.152899/page-175#post-27693184

Quote from: Ascenion, post: 27693184, member: 5320
I honestly can’t tell how well this game plays. The performance is such utter shit at times I actually can’t tell if I’m missing timings or if the buttons aren’t registering or if its loading or if it’s going to crash. It’s crashed twice on a late game boss to the point I broke the fucking Xbox by throwing it out of my door. Fucking ugh. That’s $500 now, thanks EA or whoever for not listening to the QA team.

FUCKING UGH
Margs

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #7328 on: December 25, 2019, 02:45:11 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-ot-respawn-of-the-jedi.152899/page-175#post-27693184

Quote from: Ascenion, post: 27693184, member: 5320
I honestly can’t tell how well this game plays. The performance is such utter shit at times I actually can’t tell if I’m missing timings or if the buttons aren’t registering or if its loading or if it’s going to crash. It’s crashed twice on a late game boss to the point I broke the fucking Xbox by throwing it out of my door. Fucking ugh. That’s $500 now, thanks EA or whoever for not listening to the QA team.

FUCKING UGH
How do these people get through life?

Oh right, they excommunicate their families and don't leave their parents' basement.
Spud

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #7329 on: December 25, 2019, 03:01:40 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-is-it-so-important-to-tell-kids-santa-claus-is-real.161179/page-2

I have no intention in teaching or enforcing lies in my future child's mind. Convincing a child that magic is actually real is a detriment to the early development of critical thinking in developing brain.
It's much healthier to make believe/pretend that Santa is real. Playing that Santa is real, not actually upholding a lie. If at a young age their mind is taught that illogical things are acceptable, that can have negative effect on how the assess other truths from fiction in their future. I don't want my child to walk through life thinking that anything is possible. That is how to get conned, duped and taken advantage of.

I mean some people think it's a dumb tradition, you really want to shove down people's throats what they should and shouldn't celebrate? If the kids get presents, cookies, and milk, I guarantee you they don't care about the other shit.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7330 on: December 25, 2019, 03:14:25 PM »
How much time do they spend bitching about The Last Jedi again? 10 minutes in and they're really want to push the false narrative that nothing happened in TLJ.

False narrative. :noooo

https://www.resetera.com/threads/redlettermedia-ot-very-cruel.804/post-27666661

Should we make a HITB TROS thread on etc era?
NO
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
ὕβρις

PogiJones

« Reply #7332 on: December 25, 2019, 03:27:40 PM »

:rage

But for real, I mostly agree with you, although with a less cynical outlook on kids.

The approach I took was not debunking Santa, but also not saying he was real. I let him get his Santa-ness through osmosis with the culture, then when he asked me, I told him Santa is a real role, that Saint Nick was real, and that while he died, Santa carried on and now there are many Santas. Then I asked my son if he wanted to be someone's Santa, and he did, so we dressed him up and he snuck a present into his friend's home (with the parents' permission, of course). He loved it, and I never lied to him. It worked out great.

PogiJones

« Reply #7333 on: December 25, 2019, 03:43:38 PM »
For me it's a matter of trust. I was bugged that my parents had lied to me, and I know a bunch of other people who also felt betrayed. Trust for me is paramount, so I needed to find a way for him to enjoy the magic of youth without actually taking it as a blow to his trust in me (and just a blow to his happiness) when he discovered the truth. So I found a way to make it all work.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #7334 on: December 25, 2019, 03:44:58 PM »
Then I asked my son if he wanted to be someone's Santa, and he did, so we dressed him up and he snuck a present into his friend's home (with the parents' permission, of course). He loved it, and I never lied to him. It worked out great.

Yeah i'd be too lazy for all that. Laziness is my real motivation behind hating Christmas. A picture with a mall Santa is what, $20? Fuck that.

And lol at the "I mean", it's not intentional. May as well start my sentences with "Well...". I guess it's my subconscious way of being self-effacing. They say you're not supposed to start a sentence with "and" either.

:patel

Rahxephon91

« Reply #7335 on: December 25, 2019, 03:45:58 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-isnt-drunk-driving-a-bigger-offense-in-the-us.161205/#post-27692361

No you do a stupid thing, your life needs to be over!

Drunk driving is as harmless as driving after eating several pot brownies, calm the fuck down.
It's not harmless, but people shouldn't have thier lives be destroyed because of a bad mistake.

It's just for such a progressive place, Ree is always short on forgiveness when their strict and rigid high moral standard conflicts with the flawed reality of life. There's only black and white with these people. When the US government has more moral nuance and is forgiving you've fucked up.

And it pisses me off.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #7336 on: December 25, 2019, 03:55:20 PM »
nah, fuck drunk drivers, they unfortunately end up killing people other than themselves too often

Coffee Dog

« Reply #7337 on: December 25, 2019, 04:01:37 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/why-isnt-drunk-driving-a-bigger-offense-in-the-us.161205/#post-27692361

No you do a stupid thing, your life needs to be over!

Drunk driving is as harmless as driving after eating several pot brownies, calm the fuck down.
It's not harmless, but people shouldn't have thier lives be destroyed because of a bad mistake.

It's just for such a progressive place, Ree is always short on forgiveness when their strict and rigid high moral standard conflicts with the flawed reality of life. There's only black and white with these people. When the US government has more moral nuance and is forgiving you've fucked up.

And it pisses me off.
There's nothing inherently progressive about empathy or nuance. They have blind spots just like anybody else, and let their ignorance dictate what rights they feel people should have, just like everybody else.

They're progressive because they are anti-conservative. That's as far as that label is useful.

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #7338 on: December 25, 2019, 04:01:39 PM »
Habitual drunk drivers at some point should have their license suspended permanently. It's not about forgiveness it's about taking weapons away from people on drugs.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #7339 on: December 25, 2019, 04:04:26 PM »
Definitely, driving isn't a right. A multi-ton metal monster with ease of 100+ km/h is quite the weapon.
Then again, I'm also in favour of well developed public transport infrastructure.

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race
« Reply #7340 on: December 25, 2019, 04:18:40 PM »
Alcohols aren't drugs, they're poison.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #7341 on: December 25, 2019, 04:20:29 PM »
User banned (permanent): Long history of downplaying serious concerns

People on this forum need everything their way. They don’t understand that other country’s no matter how wrong have different regulations that companies have to adhere too.

Coffee Dog

« Reply #7342 on: December 25, 2019, 04:26:14 PM »
Should have implied a moral deficiency among the people of singapore and added how disgusted he was before making such a plain observation about the reality of film distribution

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #7343 on: December 25, 2019, 04:40:46 PM »

I mean some people think it's a dumb tradition, you really want to shove down people's throats what they should and shouldn't celebrate? If the kids get presents, cookies, and milk, I guarantee you they don't care about the other shit.

The cookies and milk are for Santa! :bolo

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7344 on: December 25, 2019, 04:55:34 PM »
User banned (permanent): Long history of downplaying serious concerns

People on this forum need everything their way. They don’t understand that other country’s no matter how wrong have different regulations that companies have to adhere too.

"downplaying serious concerns" for a moment that many in the thread admit they didn't even know was there. are those people "downplaying" as well? :lol

PogiJones

« Reply #7345 on: December 25, 2019, 04:56:50 PM »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7346 on: December 25, 2019, 05:04:33 PM »
Not surprised. This is the same company that won't commit to making Elsa lesbian because China.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/the-rise-of-skywalker-disney-cuts-star-wars-same-sex-kiss-in-singapore.161076/post-27679993

:idont

Crumb

• *cough*
« Reply #7347 on: December 25, 2019, 05:04:55 PM »
Go watch Uncut Gems folx.

PogiJones

« Reply #7348 on: December 25, 2019, 05:07:23 PM »
A punishment fitting the crime doesn't mean a punishment equal to if the worst case of your risky behavior had happened.

Speeding kills people. Running red lights kills people. Cutting people off kills people.

Yet I think we would all agree that a prison sentence instead of a speeding ticket is way over the line.

But drunk driving is way more risky than any of the above. It kills tons of people, often by doing the above infractions. So it should carry a heavier penalty than going 10 over on the freeway, even though both actions kill people on a societal level.

I do think texting should be treated just as harshly as a DUI, though. But enforcement is an issue. There are other mitigating factors as well.

It's a nuanced topic that needs to take in both the gravity of the action as well as rehabilitation and costs.

And as always, RE is woefully unequipped to handle anything with nuance.

« Reply #7349 on: December 25, 2019, 05:11:00 PM »
if you cant drive after a few brews you dont deserve a driver license, its not really that hard

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7350 on: December 25, 2019, 05:16:16 PM »
i only drive while high, don't blame me 8)

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7351 on: December 25, 2019, 05:25:54 PM »
i had a friend who once got a dui on a bicycle. you gotta work real hard to get that ticket :lol

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #7352 on: December 25, 2019, 05:28:16 PM »
:rofl

all riotous are bastards

Lonewulfeus

« Reply #7353 on: December 25, 2019, 05:30:33 PM »
A punishment fitting the crime doesn't mean a punishment equal to if the worst case of your risky behavior had happened.

Speeding kills people. Running red lights kills people. Cutting people off kills people.

Yet I think we would all agree that a prison sentence instead of a speeding ticket is way over the line.

But drunk driving is way more risky than any of the above. It kills tons of people, often by doing the above infractions. So it should carry a heavier penalty than going 10 over on the freeway, even though both actions kill people on a societal level.

I do think texting should be treated just as harshly as a DUI, though. But enforcement is an issue. There are other mitigating factors as well.

It's a nuanced topic that needs to take in both the gravity of the action as well as rehabilitation and costs.

And as always, RE is woefully unequipped to handle anything with nuance.

My state just made interlock devices mandatory after a first DUI offense, my state was incredibly punitive until recently backing off on that part since it wasn’t acting as an effective deterant and instead moved to prevent people from even being able to operate the vehicle if they are drunk.  We still have heavy fines and possible jail time but I’m happy they moved to actually prevent the issue instead of just punishing the behavior.

PogiJones

« Reply #7354 on: December 25, 2019, 06:29:07 PM »
Yeah, prevention through deterrence is pretty questionable when a primary feature of alcohol is judgment inhibition. It should still be there to some level, but yeah, I think deterrence mostly only really works for DUIs by proxy, as friends don't want their drunk buddies arrested. Prevention through mechanical impossibility is definitely the way to go where possible.

Hermit

« Reply #7355 on: December 25, 2019, 07:27:50 PM »
My ex got a DUI and the judge she had implemented harsher punishments for first time offenders.

No driving for a year
No alcohol consumption for a year
Had to ask permission to leave the state (???)
Several thousand dollar fine
Over 200 hours of community service
Possible implementation of breathalyzer in car after year of probation
Mandatory therapy/counseling or attend AA   

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #7356 on: December 25, 2019, 08:06:51 PM »
My ex got a DUI and the judge she had implemented harsher punishments for first time offenders.

No driving for a year
Holy shit. Was she completely trolleyed or something? What was her BAC?
Spud

Hermit

« Reply #7357 on: December 25, 2019, 09:41:33 PM »

No driving for a year
Holy shit. Was she completely trolleyed or something? What was her BAC?
No idea. We had already broken up when this happened, so I didn't get every detail.

All I know is, she took a turn too fast, knocked down a light pole and ended up on another car. Ultimately totaled her leased car, which apparently didn't have proper insurance so she owes the dealership like 20 grand.

Switters

« Reply #7358 on: December 25, 2019, 09:57:08 PM »
Like this post if you think Yennefer's boobs are the best TV boobs. Also like this post if you think Alexandra Daddario's boobs were the 2nd (or 1st) best TV boobs in True Detective. Also like this post if boobs.
troll

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>

Boredfrom

« Reply #7360 on: December 25, 2019, 10:21:44 PM »
Johnson gets the Star Wars franchise at a much deeper level than JJ Abrams. There’s a reason why TLJ is rated highly by those in the Lucasfilm Story Group and Abram’s films are not.

:science

Crumb

• *cough*
« Reply #7361 on: December 25, 2019, 10:55:54 PM »
Like this post if you think Yennefer's boobs are the best TV boobs. Also like this post if you think Alexandra Daddario's boobs were the 2nd (or 1st) best TV boobs in True Detective. Also like this post if boobs.
I need a sample to judge.

pgtl_10

« Reply #7362 on: December 25, 2019, 11:07:35 PM »
Why are people so defensive of The Last Jedi? It is clear to me the Last Jedi derailed the series. It's Godzilla 1998 and Superman 64. It made money but the long term effects were bad.

Reminds me of Stargate Universe too.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #7363 on: December 25, 2019, 11:13:53 PM »
Why are people so defensive of The Last Jedi? It is clear to me the Last Jedi derailed the series. It's Godzilla 1998 and Superman 64. It made money but the long term effects were bad.

Because identity politics
Spud

paprikastaude

« Reply #7364 on: December 25, 2019, 11:18:01 PM »
thinking a movie starting off with a "yo mama" joke took anything to a deeper level  :brain

pgtl_10

« Reply #7365 on: December 25, 2019, 11:53:44 PM »

Which identity? Don't the other films have similar representation?

pgtl_10

« Reply #7366 on: December 26, 2019, 12:55:30 AM »

Which identity? Don't the other films have similar representation?

Somehow disney products became the proxy for which the great culture war must take place on era. If you're against TLJ, it's because it's super woke (even though it isn't cause they're desperate for the thing to take off in china)

Yeah, I think it's stupid too.

And yet isn't the girl and guy in nearly every film? I think what really happened was critics loved the film but audiences hated it so critics felt the need to justify their criticisms by making it look like their was something nefarious going on.

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #7367 on: December 26, 2019, 12:57:05 AM »
Go watch Uncut Gems folx.

Fantastic movie.

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #7368 on: December 26, 2019, 02:31:24 AM »

Which identity?

ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!1111!1!1!!!!
Spud

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #7369 on: December 26, 2019, 03:26:34 AM »
And yet isn't the girl and guy in nearly every film? I think what really happened was critics loved the film but audiences hated it so critics felt the need to justify their criticisms by making it look like their was something nefarious going on.

It's not just critics, ever since :gamergate gamergate :gamergate nerd media in general has this meta narrative in the background of schlubby white dudes not willing to let go of the past and other schlubby white dudes pretending to be ultra progressive only to be found out as sexual offenders. Then you play/watch/read/whatever the thing they make hard sociopolitical stances on and you wonder why the fuck either of them are so upset in the first place.

Common denominator of problem. White men.

OnlyRegret

• <<SALVATION!>>
« Reply #7370 on: December 26, 2019, 03:33:27 AM »
Solution

benita

« Reply #7371 on: December 26, 2019, 03:55:25 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ate-burritos-last-night-and-looking-to-make-amends-any-other-stories-of-racist-families.2560876/

So let me be clear, I've got no problem with going to Taco Bell and putting money directly into Mexican pockets but last night at my parents' (we're white) for Christmas dinner, my mom decided she was going to make burritos.

At first, I was shocked that she even managed to buy all of the ingredients as when I was a cashier, I would throw a hard side eye at any white person buying groceries for a clearly ethnic meal which was usually enough for them to say "don't worry about it" and leave the store. But anyway, my mom (she's white) decided to buy all of these things for the express purpose of making a meal from an ethnicity other than our own.

I explained to here that this was clearly cultural appropriation and that I wanted to eat something different. She said I was free to as long as I made it myself which was a trap as she knows I don't have any culinary skills to speak of.

So anyway, I ate the burritos but made it very clear by the expression on my face that I wasn't happy about it. I didn't even eat the baklava she'd bought for dessert.

So now I'm looking for a way to make up for my mom's ignorance (she's white). Was thinking about going to buy a chalupa from Chipotle for an authentic experience or maybe contribute to a Mexican charity or something. I dunno.

So how was your christmas dinner era?

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #7372 on: December 26, 2019, 04:10:22 AM »
How bad were the replies in that thread that it was deleted?

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7373 on: December 26, 2019, 04:14:18 AM »
Burritos  :nope
Boritos  :ohyeah
ὕβρις

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #7374 on: December 26, 2019, 04:15:32 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/white-people-shouldnt-be-allowed-to-own-sombreros.161325/

Do you also say "Fucking white people" in the presence of PoC?

:dobbs
ὕβρις

Bore Expert

« Reply #7375 on: December 26, 2019, 04:47:09 AM »
Nothing pisses me off more than white devils wearing sombreros

Potato

• Senior's Member
« Reply #7376 on: December 26, 2019, 05:55:54 AM »
https://www.resetera.com/threads/white-people-shouldnt-be-allowed-to-own-sombreros.161325/

Do you also say "Fucking white people" in the presence of PoC?

:dobbs
https://www.resetera.com/threads/white-people-shouldnt-be-allowed-to-own-sombreros.161325/post-27706502

Can Mexico Era tell me why this is bad?
Oh, you think it's Mexicans who are worried about this? That's cute...
 :cmonson :foodcourt :lucille
Spud

Tiops

« Reply #7378 on: December 26, 2019, 08:26:48 AM »
(she's white)

Chim Richalds

• Professional Doctor
« Reply #7379 on: December 26, 2019, 09:27:13 AM »