Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519553 times)

etiolate

Re: The NBA thread (Game 7. Monday 8:30 Pacers versus Heat )
« Reply #10200 on: June 03, 2013, 08:29:47 PM »
As long as we're bringing the word craven into sports vernacular then I support this.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #10201 on: June 03, 2013, 08:40:54 PM »
Miami off to a slow start as usual.

Bosh and Wade are more active early but not especially effective so far. At least Bosh isn't I mean.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10202 on: June 03, 2013, 08:49:38 PM »
Miami more active on the boards early which is a good sign. Everybody seems to playing at a high energy level at least. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10203 on: June 03, 2013, 08:53:47 PM »
Miami half court D very active. The most active I've seen them in the series early in the game. They normally don't roll out the defense until the 3rd quarter.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10204 on: June 03, 2013, 08:56:04 PM »
Bosh needs to stop shooting. He's already 1 of 8. Hibbert is completely shutting him down.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10205 on: June 03, 2013, 09:03:34 PM »
End of first quarter. 2 point pacer lead. Positive signs on both sides for both teams.

The Heat expended a ton of energy in that quarter to be down by 2. Interesting to see what kind of effect that has, as the game goes on. Bosh is 5 of 29 now on field goal attempts in the last 3 and including this game.

Not sure why Mike Miller is suddenly playing. That seems desperate. Kinda grasping at straws.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:07:06 PM by Stoney Mason »

Smooth Groove

• Both teams played hard, my man
« Reply #10206 on: June 03, 2013, 09:07:50 PM »
I like how the Heat are attacking the paint.

But they aren't getting any calls tonight so they gotta focus better on finishing. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10207 on: June 03, 2013, 09:19:00 PM »
Two long range shots for Bosh in a row. Hopefully that finally will start to pull him out of this Funk.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10208 on: June 03, 2013, 09:29:03 PM »
Miami looking good so far. Extremely active defense to go with more inside drives or kicking to Ray Allen for wide open three's. They are putting pressure offensively on the Pacers in different ways and Pacers aren't covering all the options.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 09:31:04 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10209 on: June 03, 2013, 09:39:02 PM »
Almost half time and Miami with a double digit lead. They played that first half about as well as you could expect at this stage.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #10210 on: June 03, 2013, 09:39:31 PM »
3 fouls on Hibbert should make it much easier for the Heat rest of the way

Smooth Groove

« Reply #10211 on: June 03, 2013, 10:02:06 PM »
Interesting conversation on Daily Dime now about how Hibbert is taking advantage of the verticality rule to dominate defensively,

http://espn.go.com/nba/notebook?page=dailydimelive

Smooth Groove

« Reply #10212 on: June 03, 2013, 10:16:39 PM »
Hate to say it but the Heat do look like they want it more tonight.

Why haven't they rebounded or defended like this the whole series? 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10213 on: June 03, 2013, 10:18:32 PM »
Hate to say it but the Heat do look like they want it more tonight.

Why haven't they rebounded or defended like this the whole series?

That's always the Miami mystery. You watch a team like the Spurs and it feels like the same energy and effort level every night. You watch the heat and sometimes it feels like everybody is going hard and playing with a little bit of healthy desperation and then some nights it looks like they just phone it in and expect to win because of their talent. It makes them a frustrating team to follow. Wade still clearly looks injured but his effort level and aggressiveness is so much greater tonight.

To be fair at least in the regular season, they were more consistent than they have been in the past.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:20:43 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10214 on: June 03, 2013, 10:29:11 PM »
Game over. Hibbert's 5th foul is essentially the dagger. He is the key to everything.

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (NBA Finals begin Thursday)
« Reply #10215 on: June 03, 2013, 11:20:26 PM »
Very good finals. The best true Match-up. Intriguing on so many levels. I give a slight edge to the Spurs based on how they are currently playing and how balanced that team is in all facets plus better coaching but Miami certainly has the talent and the best player to win the series along with home court advantage. Will be fun.

Pacers have nothing to feel bad about. Great effort. They should improve next season.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 11:23:54 PM by Stoney Mason »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #10216 on: June 04, 2013, 01:36:25 AM »
wahhhhhhhhhh

WAHHHHHHHHHHH
püp

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #10217 on: June 04, 2013, 01:43:49 AM »
Three finals in a row for Bron, without Shaq carrying him. C'mon Puddles, taste he happy.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #10218 on: June 04, 2013, 01:46:08 AM »
Ha ha, it's the ultimate lose-lose Finals for Lakers stans!

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10219 on: June 04, 2013, 01:50:47 AM »

Kobe nut sack riders should be rooting for Lebron. A Duncan win probably places him above Kobe historically because of the solidness of Duncan's teams over the period. I kinda think its unlikely Lebron will win 5 titles.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10220 on: June 04, 2013, 01:53:00 AM »
Probably the easiest routes to the finals that any repeating conference champion ever had.

I'm gonna go with the 2002-03 Nets on that one.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10221 on: June 04, 2013, 02:04:15 AM »
I've never been someone who likes the ring argument solely as a testament to greatness. I think the general public though has been taught by the modern media to place almost complete focus on that. Kobe and Duncan play such different positions that its very hard to make any real valid meaningful comparisons between their careers.

etiolate

« Reply #10222 on: June 04, 2013, 02:04:45 AM »

oh man you're right

This Finals just got a lot better.

Kings introduced Mike Malone as HC and dismissed all Cousins trade rumors. Encouraged by both of those things, but still worried about some of the potential GM names I've been hearing.

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #10223 on: June 04, 2013, 04:42:21 AM »
I'd be more worried about them potentially signing Monta Ellis
itm

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #10224 on: June 04, 2013, 08:58:41 AM »
When the Pacers get Grainger back, they will be a scary team next year.
©ZH

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #10225 on: June 04, 2013, 11:54:38 AM »
When the Pacers get Grainger back, they will be a scary team next year.

They won't have him.  Popular belief is that they'll trade him and a few bench warmers around for a shot at Chris Paul.
püp

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #10226 on: June 04, 2013, 11:54:59 AM »
So, scarier.
püp

etiolate

« Reply #10227 on: June 04, 2013, 01:44:07 PM »
I'd be more worried about them potentially signing Monta Ellis

I try not to think about that.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10228 on: June 04, 2013, 05:12:32 PM »
Indiana Pacers Feel Stupid For Believing In Themselves

Jun 4, 2013

MIAMI—Following their 99-76 Game 7 loss in the Eastern Conference Finals, Indiana Pacers players confirmed Tuesday that they felt like complete idiots for believing in themselves and foolishly thinking that they ever had a chance against the Miami Heat. “It’s downright embarrassing that every player on this team was actually convinced we were good enough to beat a team loaded with NBA superstars,” said Pacers small forward Paul George, who apologized for getting pumped up by a speech from Indiana head coach Frank Vogel. “What the hell were we thinking? They have LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, and we have David West and George Hill. Nobody on this team has ever averaged more than 20 points a game. When I think about how confident we were during games, I can’t believe we acted so stupid. Deep down we should have believed with all our heart that we would fail.” At press time, George acknowledged that Indiana fans must have been “fucking delusional” to seriously believe in the Pacers.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/indiana-pacers-feel-stupid-for-believing-in-themse,32683/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=standard-post:headline:default

Miami Heat Unable To Tell If Congratulations Are Sarcastic Or Not

Jun 4, 2013

MIAMI—After eliminating the Indiana Pacers to reach the NBA finals for the third consecutive year, Miami Heat players were reportedly struggling Monday to determine whether those congratulating them on their victory were being sarcastic. “When people tell me this was an inspiring win by a team with real integrity, I want to believe them, but it’s hard to tell sometimes,” said shooting guard Dwyane Wade, who was unsure how to interpret comments such as the Heat’s dominance is “very, very impressive” and “a great thing for the NBA.” “One guy came up to me after the game and said I was his favorite player on his absolute favorite NBA team, and then he claimed our team was ‘built the right way.’ He was sort of smiling, but I don’t know if he was being sincere. He also said we should be ‘real proud of what we accomplished’ and then added a second ‘real proud,’ which makes me think he didn’t actually mean it.” At press time, Heat players reportedly realized that anyone claiming to be happy to see Mario Chalmers back in the finals was definitely being sarcastic

http://www.theonion.com/articles/miami-heat-unable-to-tell-if-congratulations-are-s,32686/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=standard-post:headline:default
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:14:59 PM by Stoney Mason »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #10229 on: June 05, 2013, 12:10:50 PM »
 :mindblown at Marc Stein

1. What does Miami need to accomplish to justify the Big Three hype?

Marc Stein, ESPN.com: Honestly? Unless the Heat shock the world and rebound emphatically from the pounding they took from Indy to blow San Antonio away -- which I don't see happening -- this group can't. Not even if it wins it all. This group no longer has the look of a long-term contender. I expect changes even if the Heat manage to win this series.

Do people forget that for pretty much the last three seasons, Indy AND Boston have taken them to lengthy series'?

This Miami team is the best they've ever been.  Lol at thinking the spurs will mow them down.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10230 on: June 05, 2013, 12:17:33 PM »
Here for fun — Jackson flies from reality
By Buck Harvey

June 5, 2013

MIAMI — Stephen Jackson flew commercial to Miami on Tuesday. He should have been on the Spurs' charter.

He should have been joking with Tim Duncan and listening to Gregg Popovich. He should have been preparing for his second Finals and hoping he would get a few minutes trying to defend LeBron James; the Spurs might have been better for that, too.

Instead, Jackson sat in 3A, on United flight 1158, from Houston to Miami.

Any regrets, he was asked?

“Nope,” he said. “Got my money.”

He smiled broadly, as if to convince himself.

Jackson says he didn't come to Miami to watch the Finals. He said he hasn't watched any of the Spurs' games this spring.

He's here to have fun, and he's been having a lot since the Spurs released him. Jackson has been sharing his luxurious life online, from a trip to Jamaica to the occasional pedicure. The posts have also come about the time the Spurs have been playing games.

So maybe there's something about the juxtaposition, especially for a man whose most powerful trait also happens to be his most destructive one. Pride.

Tuesday brought this out. Then, Jackson talked about Popovich.

A year ago Jackson announced, in so many words, Popovich was the only coach who could handle him. Tuesday he said he refused this season to play Popovich's “mind games.”

That goes against Popovich's reputation as a straight shooter. That also goes against the conversation Popovich had just before the Spurs traded for Jackson in 2012.

Then, Popovich told Jackson what he would have to accept if the Spurs were going to proceed with the trade: No contract extension and no guarantee of playing time.

Jackson happily agreed, and last season he gave the Spurs some life. In the finale, in Game 6 in Oklahoma City, he may have been the Spur most comfortable with the tension.

He began this past season looking slower, and his shooting percentages fell. So did his minutes. He admits now he sparred with Popovich for about half the season. And after Popovich released him just days before the regular season ended, Jackson posted this on Instagram:

“I would never say a player is better than me when I know their (sic) not. Not for no one. #uandiknowwhatsgoingon”

Tuesday he revealed who he was talking about: Danny Green and Manu Ginobili.

Jackson insists Popovich wanted him to admit Green and Ginobili were better. More than likely, Popovich simply told Jackson they were better. That's why they were playing instead of him.

Pride wouldn't let Jackson accept that, and he admitted as much Tuesday. After showing the initial flash of anger when talking about Popovich, he later said Popovich knows him well, and that the release “was best for me so I wouldn't go crazy.”

Or, as Jackson said Tuesday, again smiling, “I wouldn't want me on the team, either.”

Still, Jackson insists he was right to not bend, in part, because he was right the previous time he left the Spurs. Then, after the 2003 championship, Popovich was equally blunt.

Jackson brought up the specifics again Tuesday, how he ended playoff series after playoff series with big shots. But when the season was over, Popovich told Jackson in his exit interview: You haven't earned career money yet.

Jackson's successes outweighed his failures, but by how much? His turnovers were an issue, as was the volatility of uneven Stephen.

“He's a good-hearted guy,” a teammate said then. “And when he was angry, it wasn't because he was demanding the ball or anything like that. But he was so sensitive and emotional that it was difficult to coach, and it was tough for a teammate, too. The countless pouting sessions began to drag on everyone.”

That's why Popovich had a price in mind. He didn't want to be stuck with an expensive problem.

So the Spurs offered about $10 million over three years. When Jackson hesitated, the Spurs moved on.

Jackson had no choice but to accept the only offer out there, from Atlanta for $1 million. In response, Sports Illustrated pictured him wearing a dunce cap.

Jackson loves what followed. He proved himself that season, eventually earning the payday he thought he always should have had. He thinks it can happen again now; he says one team called him on the very day the Spurs released him.

It's possible he's right. But NBA teams bet on young talent all the time. How many will want to risk anything on Jackson now?

Golden State took on Richard Jefferson's longer contract, for example, just to avoid Jackson's baggage. And now Popovich — one of the league's best coaches — has given up on him.

Told on Tuesday he might have been better served to be the good soldier on a Finals team, Jackson shook his head. But he didn't give a clear answer why he disagreed with that. He said, simply, things work out for a reason.

Jackson, as the former Spur said years ago, is still “a good-hearted guy.” He also has friends on the team. He says he's seen Gary Neal, and he's texted Duncan and Kawhi Leonard.

Still, many athletes have a hard time admitting when their skills diminish. Jackson, with his pride, can't even consider it has happened to him.

So he flew to Miami on the same day the Spurs did, denying he would be better off if he were with them.

When he would be.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Here-for-fun-Jackson-flies-from-reality-4577343.php?t=ed0bae410f927fc3fb

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #10231 on: June 05, 2013, 12:27:51 PM »
He's gonna be so broke so soon.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10232 on: June 05, 2013, 11:27:23 PM »
As a general rule I detest twitter but sometimes it makes me laugh my ass off.

Roy HibbertVerified account
‏@Hoya2aPacer
Competing against @KingJames @chrisbosh @DwyaneWade was 1 tough challenge. Yall made me a better player n I thank y'all for that. Good luck

GIFT ‏@Giftaveli 1h
@Hoya2aPacer how u gonna say thanks to niccas on Twitter but head right to the tunnel and not shake they hands after the game? U a cigarillo!

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10233 on: June 05, 2013, 11:33:27 PM »
Likewise, I don't think ‏@Giftaveli would be saying that right to Hibbert's face immediately after a game.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #10234 on: June 06, 2013, 11:02:41 AM »
Is Battier hurt? I didn't see him play any in game 7.
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10235 on: June 06, 2013, 11:48:29 AM »
Is Battier hurt? I didn't see him play any in game 7.

Nah. Just completely ineffective against the Pacers.

I actually predict the Spurs will win this series in 6 or 7. I just think ultimately the Spurs are a bad finals matchup for the Heat after waffling back and forth on the subject. The length and defense of a team like the Pacers give the Heat fits but I think ultimately the offense of the Spurs will give the Heat an equal amount of problems. They are like a better version of the Mavericks the Heat faced in their first finals. And their defense is pretty darn good too. Maybe if Wade was more on point I think they would have a better chance. When you play a team like the Grizz or Indy at least their offense sucks so you have some opportunities. I'm not sure where the openings will be for Miami outside of Lebron and what he creates which is significant but still...

Still rooting for them though of course.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:54:18 AM by Stoney Mason »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #10236 on: June 06, 2013, 12:25:09 PM »
Nah, Indy was by far the toughest possible match up for the heat, and always has been.  I think Heat take this in 6.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10237 on: June 06, 2013, 12:28:28 PM »
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9348513/denver-nuggets-part-ways-coach-george-karl

Now things are starting to make a bit more sense especially with the Grizzlies and how they are behaving.

etiolate

« Reply #10238 on: June 06, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »
Denver gonna lose Exec of the Year, CotY, and Iggy all in one off-season.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10239 on: June 06, 2013, 05:05:37 PM »
Denver gonna lose Exec of the Year, CotY, and Iggy all in one off-season.

Kenneth FariedVerified account
‏@KennethFaried35
So we lost a GM now a coach what's next!?

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #10240 on: June 06, 2013, 05:21:15 PM »
denver gonna suck dick next year
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10241 on: June 06, 2013, 09:11:08 PM »
Dem spurs. Already off to a hot start.

Their offense is just so sophisticated in comparison to the rest of the league.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:13:35 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10242 on: June 06, 2013, 09:17:21 PM »
I still hate Bosh taking 3's.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10243 on: June 06, 2013, 09:22:18 PM »
Nice to see offensive oriented basketball after two defensive oriented conference finals.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10244 on: June 06, 2013, 09:32:15 PM »
Miami looking good so far. They don't have the same energy level and activity as in that game 7 but the difference between defensive execution between Indy and San Antonio is noticeable.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10245 on: June 06, 2013, 09:42:58 PM »
Miami 3's falling. San Antonio can't close out remotely as quick on those shooters as indy does obviously. 

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10246 on: June 06, 2013, 09:56:07 PM »
Duncan abusing Bosh and Birdman.

Miami feels so unchained on offense though. They look like they can play 9 or 10 players easily in a real rotation versus how they had to fear matching up with Indy.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 09:57:40 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10247 on: June 06, 2013, 10:05:53 PM »

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (NBA Finals)
« Reply #10248 on: June 06, 2013, 10:13:42 PM »
Halftime. Close first half as expected. Still anybody's game although Miami feels a little more in control. Wade also looks more effective than he was in the prior series.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10249 on: June 06, 2013, 10:43:27 PM »
Wade use to have a decent little mid-range shot. It's complete shit now for some reason.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10250 on: June 06, 2013, 10:58:08 PM »
How dare he leave a team that tried to trade him multiple times. What an asshole.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10251 on: June 06, 2013, 11:02:23 PM »
I don't like spoelstra getting cute and having Wade and Lebron on the bench here at the beginning of the 4th.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10252 on: June 06, 2013, 11:10:06 PM »
Game reminds me of the Maverick series so far. Extremely close. Neither team able to separate. Will come down to who can execute down the stretch consistently.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10253 on: June 06, 2013, 11:11:10 PM »
Fucking Bosh 3's. Dumbest shit ever.

etiolate

« Reply #10254 on: June 06, 2013, 11:12:37 PM »
A bit surprised that Miami's bench has been able to outscore the Spurs' bench, but that may be the home court factor.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10255 on: June 06, 2013, 11:18:30 PM »
Miami not executing down the stretch here.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10256 on: June 06, 2013, 11:29:50 PM »
Stupidest shit ever. Bosh shooting 3's. Who thinks a 6 11 28% career  three point shooter hanging out on the perimeter is smart. He hit a few lucky ones in the playoffs and they think he's a shooter. Unreal.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:32:12 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #10257 on: June 06, 2013, 11:36:41 PM »
Looks like the Spurs take this one. Miami already in a tough situation. I think Spoelstra made some dumb decisions in the 4th quarter including not having Wade or Lebron on the floor to start it and the offense on the floor executed poorly through the quarter. Stop fucking shooting Bosh 3's. I don't know if Spoelstra or Bosh think that's a great idea but it isn't. And its part of the reason they lost this game.

But give credit to the Spurs. They did what they do. Execute.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:40:27 PM by Stoney Mason »

etiolate

« Reply #10258 on: June 06, 2013, 11:39:46 PM »
That Parker shot was so close to a violation. Great play just to keep his dribble alive. The Spurs didn't get good shots on their last two trips, but Parker managed to get one in.

Smooth Groove

« Reply #10259 on: June 07, 2013, 12:00:42 AM »
Good game

This is the kinda basketball NBA needs.  The league needs to do something about teams that try to junk it up like Memphis and Chicago. 

Despite the loss, the Spurs look like a better matchup for the Heat.  Unfortunately for the Heat, they seem to know this and thus played on cruise control for much of the game.