Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1520847 times)

bluemax

Re: The NBA thread (NBA Draft June 25)
« Reply #16440 on: June 25, 2015, 11:52:40 PM »
Kristaps Porzingis. Seems like a decent pick at the position but everybody says he won't be ready for years.

https://twitter.com/ThatPersianGuy/status/614228091808927744
NO

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: The NBA thread (NBA Free Agency begins July 1)
« Reply #16441 on: June 26, 2015, 01:06:08 AM »
Aaron Harrison didn't get drafted...should have stayed at Kentucky...

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16442 on: June 26, 2015, 01:35:05 AM »
The more I think about it, the less the pick makes sense (Pistons). Why not take Winslow?

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #16443 on: June 26, 2015, 03:03:25 AM »
Aaron Harrison didn't get drafted...should have stayed at Kentucky...
Wow, I remember when those two were coming into Kentucky and Jay Bilas assured me they were both top five picks.

benjipwns

« Reply #16444 on: June 26, 2015, 04:26:34 AM »
he Brooklyn Nets were active on draft night, highlighting a busy Thursday evening by trading Mason Plumlee and the rights to second-round pick Pat Connaughton to the Portland Trail Blazers in exchange for Steve Blake and the rights to first-round pick Rondae Hollis-Jefferson.

The New York Knicks have traded guard Tim Hardaway Jr. to the Atlanta Hawks in exchange for the draft rights to guard Jerian Grant, the league announced.

Bucks get: Guard Greivis Vasquez

Raptors get: No. 46 pick, 2017 L.A. Clippers protected first-round pick

Timberwolves get: Rights to No. 24 pick (Tyus Jones)

Cavaliers get: No. 31 pick, No. 36 pick, 2019 second-round pick

The Phoenix Suns have acquired forward Jon Leuer from the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for the draft rights to Andrew Harrison, who the Suns selected with the 44th overall pick of the 2015 NBA Draft.

Los Angeles Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said the team has spoken to one of its first-round draft picks about a tweet the player sent out in 2012 that referred to a sexual assault case involving star guard Kobe Bryant.

The tweet was published May 1, 2012, on the account belonging to Larry Nance Jr., a forward from the University of Wyoming whom the Lakers selected 27th overall in Thursday's NBA draft.

Nance's tweet, which was deleted within minutes of his selection by the Lakers, read: "Gee I sure hope Kobe can keep his hands to himself in Denver this time." It also included the hashtag "#rapist."

benjipwns

« Reply #16445 on: June 26, 2015, 05:54:37 AM »
For you buddy:

Am_I_Anonymous

• And I'm pretty sure fuck you (italics implied)
« Reply #16446 on: June 26, 2015, 06:41:42 AM »
If LeBron were reffed correctly on defense he'd foul out by halftime, and if he were reffed correctly on offense, he'd commit 10+ turnovers per game.

Fuck David Stern.

Oh shut the fuck up. If the game was ref'd correctly half of Golden State would have been fouled out by halftime.
YMMV

Beezy

« Reply #16447 on: June 26, 2015, 08:46:28 AM »
Beezy, where are you? Are you OK?
I liked that we were able to get a first rounder PG for Tim Hardaway of all players. Thanks Atlanta.

I hated the Porzingis pick last night, but I'm okay with it this morning after reading up on him and watching some vids. He can honestly go either way. I just hope he puts on some weight as he gets older.

benjipwns

« Reply #16448 on: June 26, 2015, 09:12:20 AM »

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #16449 on: June 26, 2015, 09:17:05 AM »
Frank the Tank throwing up gang signs.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #16450 on: June 26, 2015, 03:36:21 PM »
STEPHEN A.: MELO FEELS 'HOODWINKED'
Stephen A. Smith, citing sources, on Carmelo Anthony's reaction to the Knicks' draft picks: "He's furious. He's livid. He feels completely hoodwinked and betrayed by Phil Jackson. He feels like he was lied to, like he was sold a bill of goods." (via SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio)

:gurl

Stephen A though so who knows if its true.

Frank IsolaVerified account
‏@FisolaNYDN
Carmelo, according to source, called Tim Hardaway Jr. late Thursday to express his displeasure with Phil Jackson's draft night moves
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 03:51:12 PM by Stoney Mason »

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #16451 on: June 26, 2015, 05:39:20 PM »
Trade Nance for a future 2nd. Fuck that guy.
Don't worry I'm sure kobe will make his life a living nightmare this season  :lol

Steve Contra

• Bought a lemon tree straight cash
« Reply #16452 on: June 26, 2015, 05:44:41 PM »
Oh god the Knicks would have to go with the gangly white future bust wouldn't they?*

spoiler (click to show/hide)
*bookmark this just in case I'm wrong and you want to laugh at me
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Scratch that if he does turn out good in the future the Knicks will have already traded him for a second round draft pick and a center with a bum knee
[close]
[close]
vin

benjipwns

« Reply #16453 on: June 26, 2015, 06:59:01 PM »
"I [was] talking to my sources last night. All they said was, he's furious, he's livid. He feels completely hoodwinked and betrayed by Phil Jackson," Smith said on SiriusXM Mad Dog Sports Radio. "He feels like he was lied to, like he was sold a bill of goods. And he's willing to concede that he wanted his money. But he didn't know it was going to be like this. He didn't know it was going to be this bad. And he can't believe that his second season under the Phil Jackson regime, he has to look forward to it being worse than even last year was."

ESPN's Ian O'Connor tweeted, "Jim Boeheim told people close to Carmelo Anthony last summer that he needed to leave NY for Chicago to try to win a ring. Boeheim didn't say that directly to Melo because he didn't want to negatively impact their relationship."

https://twitter.com/carmeloanthony/status/614550830318882816

The Boston Celtics made a strong final push to trade up into the top 10 in the draft, culminating in an offer to the Charlotte Hornets that included as many as six draft picks, including four potential first-rounders, for Charlotte's No. 9 pick, sources said.

Steve Contra

« Reply #16454 on: June 26, 2015, 07:01:07 PM »
vin

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16455 on: June 26, 2015, 08:17:06 PM »
I'm sure they will pick up somebody significant in Free Agency and in the Weak ass eastern conference that alone makes them a decent team.

But yeah, if Carmelo was serious about his shot at winning right now he would have left. He stayed because of the money. And that's a fine choice. Nothing evil about it. But then he can't react that way if Phil is looking towards the future of the franchise.

Even if I think its a high chance that Porzingis won't turn out to be much.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #16456 on: June 26, 2015, 11:59:07 PM »
PORZINGA!
©@©™

benjipwns

« Reply #16457 on: June 27, 2015, 02:53:54 AM »
Since it's still draft season a bit and there's always some fun about revisiting the old ones.

Guy has most of 1987 and 1996 first round.

This guy: https://www.youtube.com/user/Pred21/videos
Has 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, first few picks of 2003.

1993 Preview Video:

Wish I could find that clip from one of the last TNT drafts where Stern comes out while Barkley is still jabbering and he goes "no, no, go ahead Charles, I can wait" from the podium.

benjipwns

« Reply #16458 on: June 27, 2015, 02:58:43 AM »
My favorite ESPN era moment is when Jay Bilas calls Josh Smith the most likely bust as he's walking up to the commissioner. Which everyone can hear because they're playing the commentators over the PA.

benjipwns

« Reply #16459 on: June 27, 2015, 03:02:13 AM »
Smith took Bilas’ draft night criticism so hard that to this day, he refuses to mention Bilas by name.
:dead

benjipwns

« Reply #16460 on: June 27, 2015, 04:13:09 AM »

« Reply #16461 on: June 28, 2015, 06:49:18 AM »
^ That guy did an AMA on reddit.
😈

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16462 on: June 30, 2015, 05:58:27 PM »
Sources, though, told ESPN that Jordan wants a bigger role in the offense and is tired of being a third wheel behind Chris Paul and Blake Griffin with the team.

:ufup

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16463 on: July 01, 2015, 12:22:21 AM »
Multiple outlets are reporting that Pelicans All-Star and franchise cornerstone Anthony Davis agreed to a 5-year, $145 million extension at 12:01 a.m. ET, the first moment he was able to do so Tuesday night. The offer had been reported earlier in the day, but there was no word on whether AD would sign it.

Davis himself announced the move on Twitter without confirming details.

Sources say Anthony Davis' deal will have clause after Year 4 that allows Davis to return to free agency in summer of 2020 if he so chooses 18m

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16464 on: July 01, 2015, 12:27:13 AM »
that's baseball money. Am I tripping or is that the largest NBA deal ever?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16465 on: July 01, 2015, 12:50:13 AM »

The insane thing is he is 22. Think about next contract when he will arguably be entering his prime.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16466 on: July 01, 2015, 12:50:56 AM »
The San Antonio Spurs have agreed in principle to a maximum contract extension with free-agent forward Kawhi Leonard moments into free agency, sources told ESPN.com.

The deal will be for five years and $90 million, though the final terms won't be established until next week and the maximum salary is finalized. The Spurs will likely wait to actually sign the contract so they can free up cap space to chase other free agents, including LaMarcus Aldridge, sources said.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16467 on: July 01, 2015, 01:07:50 AM »

In total nominal dollars, yeah.  The max is set at a certain percent of the cap in the first year of the contract, so as the cap goes up the potential max goes up too.  Younger players usually don't make as much (25% of the cap, 30% if you've been in the league 7 years, 35% after 10 years), but there's a rule where you can get bumped up to 30% if you've been an all star starter or an all-NBA player for two years.

The crazy thing is Davis is leaving money on the table, because in a couple years the new TV contract is going to kick in and drastically raise the salary cap.  Everyone's going to have to recalibrate how we evaluate NBA contracts.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #16468 on: July 01, 2015, 01:51:45 AM »

In total nominal dollars, yeah.  The max is set at a certain percent of the cap in the first year of the contract, so as the cap goes up the potential max goes up too.  Younger players usually don't make as much (25% of the cap, 30% if you've been in the league 7 years, 35% after 10 years), but there's a rule where you can get bumped up to 30% if you've been an all star starter or an all-NBA player for two years.

The crazy thing is Davis is leaving money on the table, because in a couple years the new TV contract is going to kick in and drastically raise the salary cap.  Everyone's going to have to recalibrate how we evaluate NBA contracts.

Apparently LeBron will basically never sign another multi-year deal again because of that, just a bunch of 1 year deals with player options for 2nd year, then opting out and taking a new max deal every year.
yar

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #16469 on: July 01, 2015, 01:54:37 AM »
Looking forward to people freaking out about LeBron signing 1yr deals for being "selfish" while being completely oblivious to the fact MJ did it too.

« Reply #16470 on: July 01, 2015, 02:41:38 AM »
Do Republicans buy Lebrons though?
😈

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #16471 on: July 01, 2015, 03:18:23 AM »
MJ's salary in his last couple years was actually higher than the salary cap itself.  Also, up until this past season LeBron had never been the highest paid player on his own team.  Sports economics are weird.

benjipwns

« Reply #16472 on: July 01, 2015, 08:57:04 AM »
Jordan made $30 million in 1997 and $33 million in 1998. The salary caps were $24.4 million and $26.9 million. It didn't top Jordan's salary until 1999-2000 at $34 million.

Before the 1999 CBA, there was technically no max contract and teams could simply sign a bunch of free agents and then exceed the cap to sign their own players as there were no cap holds. That's how the Knicks vacuumed up a bunch of players in 1996.

Jordan's last Bulls contract was actually put up for auction last year :lol:

Free-agent guard Monta Ellis is engaged in serious talks on a possible three-year, $32 million-plus deal with the Indiana Pacers, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Aminu signed a 4 year, $30 million deal with Portland.

The Bucks gave Khris Middleton $70 million over five years.

Hornets didn't make a qualifying offer to Biyombo.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16473 on: July 01, 2015, 10:35:29 AM »
ESPN sources say Goran Dragic has a five-year, $90 million deal from the Miami Heat

Beezy

« Reply #16474 on: July 01, 2015, 12:02:49 PM »
Spurs keep Danny Green for 4 yrs, $45 mil. Also trading Splitter to the Hawks. Really hoping they land Aldridge now.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16475 on: July 01, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »
It's gonna take a bit to get used to the increased dollar values of players now with the rising salary cap. Its kinda hard at the moment to think of Danny Green as a player you pay 10 millions dollars a year to.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16476 on: July 01, 2015, 12:32:30 PM »
Lakers' meeting with Aldridge reportedly went "really well".

Woj does not agree.

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account
‏@WojYahooNBA
Lakers didn't make strong impression in Aldridge meeting, sources say. Spurs can close on him. LMA expected to make decision fairly soon.

Stoney Mason

Re: The NBA thread (Free Agency mania begins!)
« Reply #16477 on: July 01, 2015, 12:43:17 PM »
Sources told ESPN that Carroll has agreed to a four-year, $60 million deal with the Raptors with no options.

Beezy

« Reply #16478 on: July 01, 2015, 12:56:37 PM »
Woj = Varys

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16479 on: July 01, 2015, 12:59:13 PM »
The problem is this Lakers centric view of basketball they are trying to sell just doesn't work anymore. You can be a star anywhere in the league now. It's not just New York or LA or Chicago that matter anymore. It's such an old school approach to think that people want to come to LA to just become stars anymore.

And obviously the Dark spectre of Kobe around doesn't help.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16480 on: July 01, 2015, 01:05:22 PM »
Free-agent shooting guard Dwyane Wade is pursuing a maximum contract with the Miami Heat, reports Yahoo! Sports' Adrian Wojnarowski.

Wade opted out of the final year of his contract, turning down the $16.1 million he would have made during the 2015–16 season had he opted in.

:leon

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #16481 on: July 01, 2015, 01:11:57 PM »
Who exactly is going to pay Wade max money for 3+ years? He's trying to get Miami to get into a bidding war with itself.

Beezy

« Reply #16482 on: July 01, 2015, 01:25:24 PM »
I'd take anything Woj says with a grain of salt.
:neogaf

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #16483 on: July 01, 2015, 01:26:13 PM »
OBVIOUS TROLL IS SO OBVIOUS
yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16484 on: July 01, 2015, 01:32:53 PM »
Who exactly is going to pay Wade max money for 3+ years?

The Knicks.

:jawalrus

I'm not necessarily a big Woj guy myself. His articles are generally very one sided because they source from one side. But he does tend to have actual good sources at least even if its one side.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #16485 on: July 01, 2015, 02:03:00 PM »
Spurs clearing space for Aldridge by trading Tiago to Hawks

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--spurs-trade-tiago-splitter-to-hawks-to-free-cap-space-160331585.html

Sucks to be living in the past when the Lakers were relevant not just in LA, but the NBA in general
yar

jakefromstatefarm

« Reply #16486 on: July 01, 2015, 02:14:19 PM »
Lakers are still a year away from going into win now mode, LMA is 30. The deal didn't make sense to begin with

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16487 on: July 01, 2015, 02:57:19 PM »
"I'm going back to Cleveland.
After Game 1 of the NBA Finals, that’s when it really struck me. Sitting on the sidelines, I never wanted to play in a game more than that one. I had dreamed of playing in the NBA Finals and I just wanted to help my guys win. I couldn’t have been prouder of them as they poured their blood, sweat and tears onto the court.
Yeah, of course I’ve heard the free agency rumors. But at the end of the day, and after meeting with my teammates (it turns out pools are great meeting places) and with the front office, it was clear Cleveland was the place for me. We’re all on the same page and we’re all in. We have unfinished business and now it’s time to get back to work"

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/kevin-love-cavaliers-unfinished-business/

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #16488 on: July 01, 2015, 03:01:10 PM »
Love took a 5 year deal with the Cavs.

Cue the "Love more committed to Cavs than LeBron" whining
yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16489 on: July 01, 2015, 03:05:45 PM »
Now to assemble a bunch of junk parts around the big three.

Meet the new Shawn Marion.

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2015/07/cleveland_cavaliers_reach_out.html

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #16490 on: July 01, 2015, 03:09:15 PM »
Was Marion hurt during the finals or did Blatt just seriously think he was better off with a 7 player rotation and sitting Marion? Cause I will do that job for the league minimum if it's the latter case.
yar

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16491 on: July 01, 2015, 03:12:28 PM »
It was almost certainly a blatt decision. He was hurt late in the year, but he had enough time to recover. And he played a little bit in the boston series. Honestly with the crazy money being tossed around, I can't help but think JR smith could do better than whatever the cavs can offer. I mean Danny Green is a 10-12 million dollar player now. That lifts all boats.

Hell people want Kendrick Perkins apparently as absurd as that sounds

http://newsok.com/report-kendrick-perkins-drawing-interest-from-rockets-pelicans-knicks/article/5431047

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16492 on: July 01, 2015, 03:48:13 PM »
ESPN sources say Tyson Chandler has agreed to a four-year deal with the Phoenix suns worth $52 million

benjipwns

« Reply #16493 on: July 01, 2015, 03:54:37 PM »
The Golden State Warriors and restricted free-agent forward Draymond Green have broken off contract talks, a source told Yahoo Sports on Wednesday.

The Warriors met with Green and agent B.J. Armstrong in Los Angeles after 12:01 a.m. ET on Tuesday when NBA free agents could first begin negotiating with teams, a source told Yahoo Sports. The Warriors were given the first opportunity to reach a contract agreement before Green considered talking with other teams. But with the breakdown in talks, Green is now open to meeting with other franchises immediately, the source said.

Green’s home state Detroit Pistons, the Atlanta Hawks and the Houston Rockets have shown interest in him, a league source told Yahoo Sports prior to the start of free agency. There are now a minimum of five teams interested in Green outside the Warriors, a source said. “The one thing I’ve been taught is to go into this thing with no expectations,” Green told Yahoo Sports this week. “When you do, that’s when it gets frustrating. That’s when it gets stressful. I just want to have fun and enjoy this process.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16494 on: July 01, 2015, 06:00:14 PM »
Having the Buss children and Kobe chair a meeting.

:rejoice

Time to cough up for Rondo!

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16495 on: July 01, 2015, 06:05:56 PM »
Ramona Shelburne
@ramonashelburne

Lakers are "stunned" to hear how coolly their presentation was received by LMA. I spoke to 3-4 folks last night who felt good about it

:neogaf

Steve Contra

« Reply #16496 on: July 01, 2015, 06:23:39 PM »
The Lakers should keep Kobe around as management after he retires.  They could be the West Coast Knicks :whew
vin

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16497 on: July 01, 2015, 06:28:10 PM »
I can imagine the meeting.

Hi LaMarcus. I'm Jim Buss. I have no idea what I'm doing. Here is my sister. Same deal with her. Sitting at one end of the table is Kobe who basically has one foot in the basketball grave but is still going to shoot every time he touches the ball and then throw you under the bus when we lose. At the other end is our wacky coach who doesn't think 3 point shooting is a factor in modern basketball. Now here's Adam Levine and Toby Mcguire to convince you how cool Hollywood is.

Afterwards.

Boy I think that went well!

Stoney Mason

« Reply #16498 on: July 01, 2015, 06:34:26 PM »
Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 9m9 minutes ago
Says once source close to the talks: Phoenix has moved into a contending position alongside San Antonio in the LaMarcus Aldridge Sweepstakes

Shams Charania
‏@ShamsCharania
Free agent Paul Millsap has reached agreement with Atlanta on a likely two-year deal, third year option, league source tells RealGM.

[Amick] LaMarcus Aldridge is unlikely to make a decision by tonight, I'm told, as he wants to hear what the Knicks have to say in meeting tomorrow.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 06:42:05 PM by Stoney Mason »

Beezy

« Reply #16499 on: July 01, 2015, 06:45:19 PM »
Lol why does Aldridge care what the Knicks have to say anymore? We have nothing. :stahp