Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1867221 times)

Mandark

• Icon
Seriously though, he seems nice enough
« Reply #10500 on: September 14, 2010, 11:16:57 PM »
Matt Yglesias is what I'd be like if I had been a good student, and it makes me a little glad I wasn't.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #10501 on: September 15, 2010, 12:41:53 AM »
O'Donnell on masturbation
[youtube=560,345]RzHcqcXo_NA[/youtube]

:lol
It's like something straight out of Arrested Development

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Re: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics
« Reply #10502 on: September 15, 2010, 12:49:12 AM »
Not so MILF-y anymore, aye?

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #10503 on: September 15, 2010, 01:06:01 AM »
So wrong, TA.
- 20 year olds > MILFs
- Makes masturbating to her feel dirtier
- 90s long wavy hair

also  :lol @ having a 'marketing' manager

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #10504 on: September 15, 2010, 02:48:48 AM »
Oh man.  Oh shit.

PUHLEEEZE let these teahadists win in November.  America needs to get the govt. it deserves, and we need to get it good and hard.
yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #10505 on: September 15, 2010, 09:21:10 AM »
http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article/rr/9009/21341212/Big_night_for_tea_party_ODonnell_wins_Delaware

Republican Party officials who saw Castle as their only hope for winning the Delaware seat once held by Vice President Joe Biden made clear they will not provide funding for O'Donnell in the general election. The Republican state chairman, Tom Ross, has said O'Donnell "could not be elected dogcatcher," and records surfaced during the campaign showing that the IRS had once slapped a lien against her and that her house had been headed for foreclosure. She also claimed -- falsely -- to have carried two of the state's counties in a race against Biden six years ago.

Even repugs think she's crazy. Wow Americans are stupid.
©ZH

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10506 on: September 15, 2010, 10:41:01 AM »
As someone who supposedly supports letting locals decide what they want to do, I am shocked, SHOCKED I say to find out that you don't find the intervention of a California lobbying group, a South Carolina Senator who has publicly said that he wants purity purges in the party, and a noted Alaskan lunatic into Deleware politics to be objectionable.

...ok that's a lie, I totally understand why you wouldn't care.  You don't care about issues or policy at all, it's all about THE PHILOSOPHY with you tards.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10507 on: September 15, 2010, 10:42:37 AM »
http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article/rr/9009/21341212/Big_night_for_tea_party_ODonnell_wins_Delaware

Republican Party officials who saw Castle as their only hope for winning the Delaware seat once held by Vice President Joe Biden made clear they will not provide funding for O'Donnell in the general election. The Republican state chairman, Tom Ross, has said O'Donnell "could not be elected dogcatcher," and records surfaced during the campaign showing that the IRS had once slapped a lien against her and that her house had been headed for foreclosure. She also claimed -- falsely -- to have carried two of the state's counties in a race against Biden six years ago.

Even repugs think she's crazy. Wow Americans are stupid.

Apparently she's also been paying her rent and bills with campaign money.

Also:

[youtube=560,345]fUspLVStPbk[/youtube]
yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10508 on: September 15, 2010, 11:12:23 AM »
Right, because Delaware Republicans = South Carolina Republicans.  Good call.

The actual PARTY activists chose Castle.  The lunatics who register Republican and watch Fox news voted for the nutbar.
yar

Oblivion

« Reply #10509 on: September 15, 2010, 02:17:37 PM »
Quote from: E.J. Dionne
    The primary here today will determine definitively whether the Tea Party is capable of carrying its rebellion to a truly absurd extreme.

Want to know how angry the state’s Republican leaders are at the campaign of Christine O’Donnell, the perennial candidate who is threatening Rep. Mike Castle in the U.S. Senate race? Here’s what Delaware Republican Party chairman Tom Ross told me last night:

" I could buy a parrot and train it to say, ‘tax cuts,’ but at the end of the day, it’s still a parrot, not a conservative."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2010/09/the_tea_party_from_rebellion_t.html

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10510 on: September 15, 2010, 02:25:19 PM »
More needs to be done to put the numbers involved in extending the Bush tax cuts in context, so consider this: There is no policy that President Obama has passed or proposed that added as much to the deficit as the Republican Party's $3.9 trillion extension of the Bush tax cuts. In fact, if you put aside Obama's plan to extend most, but not all, of the Bush tax cuts, there is no policy he has passed or proposed that would do half as much damage to the deficit. There is not even a policy that would do a quarter as much damage to the deficit.

The stimulus bill, at $787 billion, would do about a fifth as much damage. But that's actually misleading: The stimulus bill was a temporary expense (not to mention a response to an unexpected emergency). Once it's done, it's done. An indefinite extension of the Bush tax cuts is, well, indefinite. It will cost $3.9 trillion in the first 10 years. And then it will cost more than that in the second 10 years. Call that number Y. And then it will cost more than Y in the third 10 years. And so on and on into eternity. Comparatively, the stimulus bill is a tiny fraction of that. The bank bailouts, which were passed by George W. Bush and the Democrats in 2006, will end up costing the government only $66 billion. The health-care bill improves the deficit outlook.

Republicans and tea party candidates are both running campaigns based around concern for the deficit. But both, to my knowledge, support the single-largest increase in the deficit that anyone of either party has proposed in memory.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/ezra-klein/2010/09/putting_the_39_trillion_extens.html

Fiscal responsibility :bow

Oblivion

« Reply #10511 on: September 15, 2010, 02:26:04 PM »
.....and like fucking clockwork:

Democrats will not rule out compromising with Republicans on the Bush tax cuts benefiting the wealthiest Americans, according to House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer.

At his weekly press availability this morning, Hoyer declined to draw a bright line on the issue of tax cuts for the rich, adding to the uncertainty over whether Democrats will force Republicans to choose between tax cuts for the middle class, or no tax cuts at all.

"I'm always, as you know, prepared to discuss alternatives so that we can move forward," Hoyer told reporters.

Though Democrats have committed to ensuring that tax cuts for middle-income brackets are extended permanently, they have yet to determine how or when they'll accomplish that, let alone whether they might be amenable to a temporary extension of tax cuts for the rich. Hoyer said that he personally supports Obama's tax plan and eventually wants to offset the middle class tax cuts.

Nevertheless, they're hoping that House Minority Leader John Boehner's moment of candor this past Sunday has exposed the GOP's dilemma, giving them an upper hand in the debate.

"Mr. Boehner made the mistake of a few short seconds of reasonableness which lead the Wall Street Journal to say that he was maybe not appropriate to be the Speaker," Hoyer said. "So I'm not sure where they're going to go. So I don't want to anticipate what they would or would not do."

sigh

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10512 on: September 15, 2010, 02:40:03 PM »
How hard is it to schedule a vote on extending tax cuts for the middle class. Jesus christ. I realize this is a ticking bomb (republicans could block everything and ensure everything expires in January, raising everyone's taxes thus Obama gets blamed/shitcanned) but come the fuck on. Grow some balls and start a vote.

In short, DEMS: listen to Pelosi, tell Stenny to fuck himself
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/09/pelosi-implores-dems-on-tax-cuts-who-do-you-stand-with.php?ref=fpblg

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10513 on: September 15, 2010, 02:54:03 PM »
I figure they hang out with rich people all the time and are misjudging the popularity of the top rate cuts.  I'd also wager that the Members making the biggest stink about the deficit correlate pretty well with the ones who want to keep the whole array of cuts.

PS JD, Triumph pretty much nailed you, hypocrisy aside.  You've never given the impression of grappling with the politics required to get libertarian policy goals.  You just re-state your core beliefs over and over and over and over and over*.  Which is your prerogative, but don't get mad at people for pointing it out.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Interspersed with wildly ignorant statements about the civil rights movement.
[close]

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10514 on: September 15, 2010, 04:57:20 PM »
I fail to see any hypocrisy on my part... I freely admit that most of my ideas are impractical and not likely to work, it's just that I think publicly beheading Wall St. execs would be COOL.
yar

Oblivion

« Reply #10515 on: September 15, 2010, 05:10:14 PM »
It's almost as if pre-emptively caving in is a democratic reflex or something. When John Boehner said on Sunday that he would support a vote for only middle class tax cuts, the VERY NEXT FRIGGEN DAY, you had Chris Van Hollen say that they would be open to having a one year long extension. WHY WOULD YOU COMPROMISE? YOU'RE WINNING YOU STUPID USELESS MONKEYS AKJFKDJFJKDFLKDJF

I fail to see any hypocrisy on my part... I freely admit that most of my ideas are impractical and not likely to work, it's just that I think publicly beheading Wall St. execs would be COOL.

I think he was referring to JD with the hypocrisy.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10516 on: September 15, 2010, 05:56:40 PM »
gotta be shitting me
They Must Really Not Want Her

ABC's Jake Tapper has a curious scoop, reporting that President Obama will name Elizabeth Warren not to run the new consumer financial protection bureau but instead will give her the previously unheralded "special position reporting to both him and to the Treasury Department and tasked with heading the effort to get the new federal agency standing." Get that?

We're seeking more clarification now, but it sounds like the White House has decided that instead of nominating Warren to head up the new consumer financial protection bureau, or alternatively avoiding the confirmation process and appointing her as interim director, the President will take a third way and make her a special adviser to help set the bureau up.

I tend to agree with Matt Yglesias on this: "With Warren, Obama showing real innovation in developing odd, satisfying to nobody compromises."
http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2010/09/they_must_really_not_want_her.php?ref=fpblg

Between this and the apparent pre-emptive surrender on taxes, it's pretty clear the democrats have no plan for anything outside of losing the house.

Tristam

« Reply #10517 on: September 15, 2010, 08:11:25 PM »
The latest CBS poll shows a majority of Americans want the high-income tax cuts to expire, and yet the Democrats are still bending over backwards to compromise with an uncompromising party.

One party is destructive; the other, through its spinelessness, is merely complicit in the destruction.

Tristam

« Reply #10518 on: September 16, 2010, 03:41:33 AM »
The entirety of your moral, political, and economic philosophies is based upon intangibles that you choose to define based on your own subjective values but lord over others as though they're objective truths.

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
« Reply #10519 on: September 16, 2010, 12:41:33 PM »
Or these truths exist because they do. :smug
___

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #10520 on: September 16, 2010, 01:25:37 PM »

crap i posted this in the wrong thread.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 10:05:18 AM by Mupepe »

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #10521 on: September 17, 2010, 07:05:17 AM »
The latest CBS poll shows a majority of Americans want the high-income tax cuts to expire, and yet the Democrats are still bending over backwards to compromise with an uncompromising party.

One party is destructive; the other, through its spinelessness, is merely complicit in the destruction.

The majority of Americans wanted a public option too.  Democrats really aren't interested in what people want.

Which is why I'm not going to be shedding tears when the collective Democratic asshole gets prolapsed come November.  They had a great opportunity to do things that they completely squandered.
🍆🍆

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10522 on: September 17, 2010, 09:47:21 PM »
[youtube=560,345]ym6m9DL_8Mg[/youtube]

2012 :bow

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10523 on: September 17, 2010, 11:21:06 PM »
So there's a kerfuffle about Marty Peretz saying he's unsure that Muslims are "worthy" of first amendment protections.  No surprise, cause he's an stupid old sack of shit and has been saying nasty things about Muslims and Arabs since forever.

But still, I'm getting myself pissed off by reading other people defend him, mostly along the line of "Aw, you don't know Marty.  He shoots his mouth off a lot, but he's really a great guy!"  I don't expect his friends to suddenly turn on him, but opinion journalists like Jeffrey Goldberg and Jon Chait--who have no compunctions about making really blunt public judgments of other people based on public statements--shouldn't expect Peretz to get special protection.

Hell, Goldberg especially.  He wrote a cover story for TNR that basically read "ANTI-SEMITES!  ANTI-SEMITES!  ANTI-SEMITES!" in response to the Walt-Mearsheimer book, and they didn't say anything remotely approaching Peretz's statement in terms of bigotry or hate.  Fuck that guy.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
And I didn't even think his story on Israel bombing Iran was nearly as bad as some people said.  But he just ain't a good person.
[close]

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10524 on: September 17, 2010, 11:33:54 PM »
He walked it back: while Arabs do actually deserve first amendment protections, they still don't care about human life. So while they certainly are barbarians, they have the same rights as you or I

Dickie Dee

« Reply #10525 on: September 18, 2010, 02:47:25 AM »
I think Goldberg's Iran v. Israel article was that bad. Dressing it up in pretend impartiality only made it worse, not better. Apparently you can polish a turd, but you're still being served a lump of shit.
___

Oblivion

« Reply #10526 on: September 18, 2010, 04:49:33 AM »
Bill Maher's threatening Christie O'donnell to appear on his show otherwise he'll be showing a new clip of her on Politically Incorrect each week. :lol

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10527 on: September 18, 2010, 01:12:55 PM »
[youtube=560,345]wqHpN4SbqVI[/youtube]
holy fuck  :lol

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #10528 on: September 18, 2010, 02:25:30 PM »
She has the cutest little ghetto gap :heartbeat
🍆🍆

Fresh Prince

« Reply #10529 on: September 18, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »
satanic date sounds hot :drool

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10530 on: September 18, 2010, 04:24:11 PM »
[youtube=560,345]Fi19yLcGk8c[/youtube]

we need a :leeatwater emote. Or I guess :jaydubya

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #10531 on: September 18, 2010, 04:47:12 PM »
"Those damn distinguished black fellows are making the post office system inefficient!"
🍆🍆

Dickie Dee

« Reply #10532 on: September 19, 2010, 05:04:48 PM »
ITT: Jaydubya rails against the Post Office
___

Fresh Prince

« Reply #10533 on: September 19, 2010, 06:11:16 PM »
ITT: Poster rails against Jayduya

Fresh Prince

« Reply #10534 on: September 19, 2010, 06:12:00 PM »
ITT: Poster rails against Jayduya
ITT: Fresh Prince rails against obvious joke

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #10535 on: September 19, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Woah, what are you guys even talking about?  It's been a whole page since then.

Okay, points for that.
MMA

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #10536 on: September 19, 2010, 11:05:20 PM »

I'll be honest... that was funny.
yar

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #10537 on: September 22, 2010, 12:31:43 PM »
I lol'd

Mandark

• Icon
Sigh
« Reply #10538 on: September 22, 2010, 11:21:28 PM »
So the Senate GOP is filibustering the repeal of DADT.  Nobody broke rants.

I'd like to point out that Collins, Snowe, Brown, McCain, Lugar, Voinovich et al voted the same way on this, and have largely been voting the same way on major issues, as Coburn, Kyl, DeMint, and Inhofe.

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #10539 on: September 22, 2010, 11:22:58 PM »
"Pledge to America" is unveiled tomorrow, which I hope is anchored by a heartfelt promise to send the homosexuals into labor camps, where they can work the gay away!
PSP

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10540 on: September 22, 2010, 11:26:11 PM »
"Pledge to America" is unveiled tomorrow, which I hope is anchored by a heartfelt promise to send the homosexuals into labor camps, where they can work the gay away!

I was all  ???

So I looked it up.

Then I was all  :-\

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #10541 on: September 22, 2010, 11:30:26 PM »
Republicans! Yay! :hyper
PSP

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10542 on: September 22, 2010, 11:32:56 PM »
Quote from: GOP Pledge to America
-- A repeal of the health-care law signed by President Obama this year.

-- A spending freeze for most domestic programs, exempting some programs for seniors, such as Social Security, and others that affect veterans and the military.

-- Keeping in place for all Americans, including the wealthy, tax cuts passed under President George W. Bush in 2001 and 2003. President Obama has proposed getting rid of tax cuts for household income above $250,000.

-- A ban on any federal funding for abortions.

-- A hiring freeze on all federal agencies except those charged with keeping Americans safe. (Agencies could hire employees only to replace people who leave.)

-- A requirement that Congress post all bills online three days before a vote and that lawmakers cite the specific constitutional authority that enables the legislation.

-- A ban on any efforts to hold trials on U.S. soil for detainees currently held at Guantanamo Bay.

-- A stop on all unspent money authorized as part of last year's stimulus bill or the 2008 legislation that aided failing Wall Street firms.

-- A tax deduction for small businesses on up to 20 percent of their business income.

Man, there's nothing I can say about this shit that we don't already know, or that would convince anyone who's on that bandwagon, but shit man.  I mean, c'mon.

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10543 on: September 23, 2010, 01:00:33 AM »
-- A requirement that Congress post all bills online three days before a vote and that lawmakers cite the specific constitutional authority that enables the legislation.

Obama should have Reid/Pelosi introduce legislation tomorrow that rules all bills must be posted online three days before they're voted on. I want to see what happens.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #10544 on: September 23, 2010, 06:55:11 AM »
Sounds like total shit, even for GOP standards.
🍆🍆

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #10545 on: September 23, 2010, 09:32:59 AM »
Pledge to Keep America Shitty

At least repubs keep proving to be the party of no ideas. Time after time.
©ZH

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #10546 on: September 23, 2010, 12:10:55 PM »
super cool platform bro
乱学者

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #10547 on: September 23, 2010, 01:52:02 PM »
-- A spending freeze for most domestic programs, exempting some programs for seniors, such as Social Security, and others that affect veterans and the military.

Cool, so that should save us a lot of

...oh.
乱学者

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #10548 on: September 23, 2010, 02:08:25 PM »
or the 100% going to the filthy druggie poorbrowns who hate american jesus and love islamoterror? ???
duc

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
« Reply #10549 on: September 23, 2010, 02:13:47 PM »

Cool, so that should save us a lot of

(Image removed from quote.)

...oh.
Where's the 40% of our budget going to foreign aid ??? Or the 20% going to gay arts programs ???

I know you were joking, but:

Foreign Aid is Department of State: http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/factsheet_department_state/. About $56 billion, or 1.6% of the total $3.6 trillion budget.

NEA for 2010 was $155 million, which is too small to realistically track.
乱学者

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #10550 on: September 23, 2010, 02:29:25 PM »
typical college intellectual propaganda. here are the real, founding father-denying annual federal spend percentages:

WHERE IS THE MONEY TO BUY EVERY IMAGE OF THE BABBY JESUS A TRICORN HAT I ASK

WHY DOES AMERICA HATE AMERICA
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:32:39 PM by Van Cruncheon »
duc

Brehvolution

« Reply #10551 on: September 23, 2010, 02:53:08 PM »
:rofl

Did you make that?

Care if I repost on another forum?
©ZH

Dickie Dee

« Reply #10552 on: September 23, 2010, 02:54:58 PM »
"Jewish Conspiracies that don't involve Armageddon"

:rofl :rofl
___

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #10553 on: September 23, 2010, 04:11:06 PM »
i made it, you are welcome to it
duc

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
« Reply #10554 on: September 23, 2010, 06:47:38 PM »
typical college intellectual propaganda. here are the real, founding father-denying annual federal spend percentages:

:rofl :rofl :rofl
MMA

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #10555 on: September 23, 2010, 09:42:12 PM »
well, i for one am appalled that the country has been allowed to go to shit after those idyllic days of the late 1700s

appalled i tell you

and really, could someone do something about those hessians

i think they're making anchor babies
duc

Oblivion

« Reply #10556 on: September 23, 2010, 10:32:14 PM »
Mandark posted a small poll done at a tea party gathering a while back where some people thought foreign aid was seriously 40%.  Anyone have a link so we can have a laugh?

Might not be the same one, but the Economist did a general poll and produced similar results.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2010_04/023255.php

Phoenix Dark

« Reply #10557 on: September 23, 2010, 10:35:12 PM »
No vote for tax cuts confirmed, a win-win issue that fell out the fucking sky like manna for democrats. No movement on DADT. Fuck the democratic party

What a shame that our choice boils down to either a vote for a fully corrupt party, or a half corrupt yet fully incompetent party.

someone spirit rez Teddy Roosevelt, I can't take this shit no more

Oblivion

« Reply #10558 on: September 23, 2010, 10:47:20 PM »

I'm assuming funding for illegals falls under money for brownpoors?

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #10559 on: September 23, 2010, 11:45:28 PM »
The entirety of your moral, political, and economic philosophies is based upon intangibles that you choose to define based on your own subjective values but lord over others as though they're objective truths.

JayDubya dinner for one'd.