Author Topic: "A black sheriff?!": The Official Topic of Obama and New Era American Politics  (Read 1867218 times)

Himu

When did you start to endorse Cain, Gundam?
IYKYK

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
wow that looks so much like gundam :rofl
AMC

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
he's gotta feed his kid by any means necessary

Himu

He's preparing for a post-Obama America under the reign of the Chinese Empire.
IYKYK

:lol I hope I don't look like that guy.

I'm one of those satan worshipping public employee state educators, anyway. I'm about as evil as they come.
野球

Himu

murderer
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
The small businesses were acting suspicious.
©@©™

Enl

I bet they taste delicious braised with a bit of garlic and thyme.

mmm... business...   :drool
mmm

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
So, I guess Gundam is the opposite of a job creator?  I'm so confused.
yar

Mandark

• Icon
I feel like we should be incorporating Green Shinobi's ex into the banter at this point.

Oblivion

Okay, just saw this. Holy shit, the worst part about the video is you can't even make a parody out of that.  :'(

The small businesses were acting suspicious.

And were wearing hoodies.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
The pastor in church(lol church) this past Sunday was visibly upset reading that the number of people being born with down syndrome was half of what it should be because of abortion. He was trying to make a case that these people should be saddled with this because "no one ever said it was going to be easy". I was giggling enough to get an elbow nudge from my wife.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

Your church has a required downs syndrome quota?

Phoenix Dark

Sounds like the health care mandate is going to be ruled unconstitutional. gg Obama
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/toobin-this-law-looks-like-its-going-to

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Sounds like the health care mandate is going to be ruled unconstitutional. gg Obama
http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/toobin-this-law-looks-like-its-going-to

plaintiffs aiming to strike down the legislation are citing the U.S. Constitution's Kids-With-Pre-Existing-Conditions-Can-Go-Fuck-Themselves clause, which decrees that children who suffer from debilitating illnesses prior to acquiring health insurance "should just go straight to hell." [...] Legal experts noted that if this argument fails, plaintiffs would undoubtedly cite the 24th Amendment's If-You-Don't-Have-Health-Insurance-Already-You-Must-Be-A-Poor-Fuck-Who-Doesn't-Deserve-It-Anyway provision
©@©™

Sman

It will make the campaign more ineteresting.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
I'm waiting for the fat lady* to sing on this before I get too emotionally involved.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
*then the fat lady dies in her home of diabetes cause she can't afford her perscription
[close]
©ZH

Robo

plaintiffs aiming to strike down the legislation are citing the U.S. Constitution's Kids-With-Pre-Existing-Conditions-Can-Go-Fuck-Themselves clause, which decrees that children who suffer from debilitating illnesses prior to acquiring health insurance "should just go straight to hell." [...] Legal experts noted that if this argument fails, plaintiffs would undoubtedly cite the 24th Amendment's If-You-Don't-Have-Health-Insurance-Already-You-Must-Be-A-Poor-Fuck-Who-Doesn't-Deserve-It-Anyway provision

:lol :lol :lol
obo

Phoenix Dark

Detroit's financial review team this afternoon declared that the city is under a financial emergency and no consent agreement between the city and state has been adopted, a move that forces Gov. Rick Snyder to appoint an emergency manager within the next 10 days under state law.

"This is white on black crime," community activist and Minister Malik Shabazz said from a microphone during public comment. "This is white supremacy. Before you can take over our city, we will burn it down."
http://www.freep.com/article/20120326/NEWS06/120326048/Financial-review-team-declares-emergency-Detroit-agreement-can-still-avert-takeover-10-days?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

God dammit

Brehvolution

http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/28/markets/oil-speculators-prices/index.htm?iid=HP_LN

I can't make up my mind. Is this:

A) Sound economics
B) Economic blackmail
©ZH

http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/28/markets/oil-speculators-prices/index.htm?iid=HP_LN

I can't make up my mind. Is this:

A) Sound economics
B) Economic blackmail

Little bit of A, whole lot of B.
野球

Oblivion

This is the reason I was supportive of having as many Republican debates as possible:

Mitt Romney trails Barack Obama by 19 points in basic popularity as the 2012 presidential contest inches closer to the main event, with a record 50 percent of Americans in the latest ABC News/Washington Post poll now rating Romney unfavorably overall.
Thirty-four percent hold a favorable opinion of Romney, the lowest for any leading presidential candidate in ABC/Post polls in primary seasons since 1984. His unfavorable score is higher than Obama ever has received; it’s been exceeded by just one other Republican candidate this year, Newt Gingrich, and by only one top candidate in 28 years, Hillary Clinton in 2008.

Oblivion

More unhappy polls for Mittens and the Republicans:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/03/28/rel3d.pdf

and in key battle ground states:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/87037735/Q-swing-3-27

Phoenix Dark

In the head-to-head matchup, independents choose Obama by a 55-40 margin. And while Obama leads 54-43 among registered voters, he defeats Romney 56-40 amongst all respondents
whoa wtf

I'd imagine his numbers will increase once he's the official nominee but jesus, that's quite a hole. On one hand though, I kind of think many voters will like Romney less and less the more they're exposed to him.

I think James Carville is right: Romney cannot beat Obama. Only circumstances can beat Obama. If the economy falls off the cliff again, or if we wind up in another war etc etc, voters will drop him in favor of Romney. Otherwise, looks like Obama might just have too big of a personal and political lead to lose

Phoenix Dark

Yup.  Romney had a hard time beating Santorum and Newt Fucking Gingrich.  That means even his own party finds him "barely tolerable."  Obama's team is going to have a field day with the Massachusett's law no matter how the supreme court votes.

I don't know about that last part though. If the law gets shit canned by the SC, all Romney has to say is "my law was constitutional, yours was not." Boom, regardless of the false equivalency. If it's upheld by the SC though, I really see no way how Romney can attack it. Every time he defends Romneycare it sounds like he's defending Obamacare, especially when talking about "free riders" with no insurance making everyone's premiums go up.

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon

You know what I find nuts about that polling?

Obama assassinates*  fuckin' Osama bin Laden and only gets a two percent bump in his approval rating, to 54%, which drops back down to 48 by mid-June!  The dude just can't catch a break!
MMA

Oblivion

So Romney actually said this:

Romney said he has some connections to Wisconsin.

“One of most humorous I think relates to my father. You may remember my father, George Romney, was president of an automobile company called American Motors … They had a factory in Michigan, and they had a factory in Kenosha, Wisconsin, and another one in Milwaukee, Wisconsin,” said Romney. “And as the president of the company he decided to close the factory in Michigan and move all the production to Wisconsin. Now later he decided to run for governor of Michigan and so you can imagine that having closed the factory and moved all the production to Wisconsin was a very sensitive issue to him, for his campaign.”

Romney said he recalled a parade in which the school band marching with his father’s campaign only knew the Wisconsin fight song, not the Michigan song.

“So every time they would start playing ‘On Wisconsin, on Wisconsin,’ my dad’s political people would jump up and down and try to get them to stop, because they didn’t want people in Michigan to be reminded that my dad had moved production to Wisconsin,” said Romney, laughing.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/03/28/1078619/-Mitt-Romney-relates-to-the-locals-again

The man is the worst politician in history.

Obama assassinates*  fuckin' Osama bin Laden and only gets a two percent bump in his approval rating, to 54%, which drops back down to 48 by mid-June!  The dude just can't catch a break!

It's like what Seth Meyers said after the assassination (paraphrasing a bit):

"After the death of Osama Bin Laden, President Obama's approval rating rose to 54%. In other words,  there is quite literally nothing he can do to please the other 46%."

huckleberry

Because the only people who get a true fuck hard on for that kind of stuff weren't ever going to vote for Obama anyway.

...of course I am sure you knew that anyway  :'(  (just felt like joining in)
wub

Brehvolution

The Bin Laden thing is funny cause Repubs prefer an open ended war. Now that OBL is dead, it's Obama's fault we are wastin money over there. If he were still alive it would be justified.
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
So Romney actually said this:

Romney said he has some connections to Wisconsin.

“One of most humorous I think relates to my father. You may remember my father, George Romney, was president of an automobile company called American Motors … They had a factory in Michigan, and they had a factory in Kenosha, Wisconsin, and another one in Milwaukee, Wisconsin,” said Romney. “And as the president of the company he decided to close the factory in Michigan and move all the production to Wisconsin. Now later he decided to run for governor of Michigan and so you can imagine that having closed the factory and moved all the production to Wisconsin was a very sensitive issue to him, for his campaign.”

Romney said he recalled a parade in which the school band marching with his father’s campaign only knew the Wisconsin fight song, not the Michigan song.

“So every time they would start playing ‘On Wisconsin, on Wisconsin,’ my dad’s political people would jump up and down and try to get them to stop, because they didn’t want people in Michigan to be reminded that my dad had moved production to Wisconsin,” said Romney, laughing.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/03/28/1078619/-Mitt-Romney-relates-to-the-locals-again

The man is the worst politician in history.

Hahaha, oh wow. :lol
©@©™

Phoenix Dark

???

this guy

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
The very definition of "not getting it."
dog

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
whoops, Romney forgot he wasn't at the country club again.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Just thinking about that story made Romney laugh so hard, his monocle popped out.
©@©™

Mupepe

• Icon
Just thinking about that story made Romney laugh so hard, his monocle popped out.
:lol :lol

Oblivion

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Oh shit.  Oh fucking shit.

Guys.  You'll never believe this shit.  Apparently, the President... READS.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1943976257173&set=p.1943976257173&type=1&ref=nf

Yup.  He's a reader.  But not only is he a reader, he reads books by MUSLIMS ABOUT POST-AMERICA!  HOLY FUCKING SHIT, SEKRIT MUSLIN CONFIRMED!
yar

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
Oh yeah, "the Post-American World" is a real radical text :rolleyes.

And that Fareed Zakaria guy, sounds like one of them Death to America types.
MMA

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Zakaria's guidelines for the US in the 'post-American world'
1 Choose - Choose priorities rather than trying to have it all
2 Build broad rules, not narrow interests - Recommit to international institutions and mechanisms
3 Be Bismarck, not Britain - Maintain excellent relations with everyone, rather than offset and balance emerging powers
4 Order à la carte - Address problems through a variety of different structures (e.g. sometimes UN, sometimes NATO, sometimes OAS)
5 Think asymmetrically - Respond to problems (e.g. drug cartels, terrorists, etc.) proportionately and do not respond to bait (i.e. small attacks meant to draw attention)
6 Legitimacy is power - Legitimacy creates the means to set agendas, define crises, and mobilize support

Smells like terrorism to me. And Muslimism.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Look, guys, maybe you should stop listening to what the liberal media wants you to hear and actually do some digging of your own into the subject. Check out this quote I found from the book and decide for yourself:

The world is moving from anger to indifference, from anti-Americanism to post-Americanism. The fact that new powers are more strongly asserting their interests is the reality of the post-American world. It also raises the political conundrum of how to achieve international objectives in a world of many actors, state and nonstate. Oh, and death to America.
dog

Brehvolution

Fuck you Scott Walker, you got what you deserve.
©ZH

Phoenix Dark

The worse thing about this stuff is that elected officials legitimize it. There will always be crazy people saying crazy things, but when people in power give them cover it can become a problem. I don't remember democrats bluntly arguing Bush hated America or the troops, was purposely putting the country in danger in order to weaken America, insinuating Bush had something to do with 911, etc.

Candidates for president are blatantly arguing that Obama is selling out the country's security to Russia/Putin, supports Iran more than Israel, is cutting the defense budget to a point where soldiers will be put in major risk, etc. At what point does this toxic language cease?

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
I like Fareed Zakaria. I should read that.

It's pretty good.  Not super meaty or crazy insightful, but it's a solid read.  And a good, accessible one for actual policymakers (like, say, the president) to get value from.
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
I mean that it's accessible.  Ie. not guns germs and steel, or something that would be too daunting for someone who's not already really versed in international relations.  Like a senator or president who has so many diverse pressures that he can't afford the time and energy to dive in to a really deep IR tome.

Most of the concepts and analysis in the book are the sort of stuff that you will have probably heard about before.  But it's well written and argued and well put together, and a relatively quick read to get through.

If that makes more sense.
MMA

Phoenix Dark

Especially affirmative action people-in-power

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Oh shit.  Oh fucking shit.

Guys.  You'll never believe this shit.  Apparently, the President... READS.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1943976257173&set=p.1943976257173&type=1&ref=nf

Yup.  He's a reader.  But not only is he a reader, he reads books by MUSLIMS ABOUT POST-AMERICA!  HOLY FUCKING SHIT, SEKRIT MUSLIN CONFIRMED!

The grasping at straws to attack Obama I see, hear, and read coming from the Right on a daily basis literally makes me want to vomit. And I don't even really like Obama!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:19:30 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
Yes, "time constraints" like running the most powerful country in the world fundraising.  People in power have always relied on others to distill complex matters for them.

:(
___

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
If our policy makers are only doing a little light reading on international relations and avoiding the scholarly stuff because of "time constraints" we are fucking doomed. :(

I share your unease at the concept, but I do believe that's more or less the way things are, with some exceptions, of course.

I mean, I know how you might want to believe otherwise, especially at the moment.  After all, Obama is a bright dude, was president of Harvard Law Review, etc. etc.  He's a naturally inquisitive and curious person.  But I'd still be surprised if he really was very familiar with IR theories beyond your basic Realism vs. neoliberalism sort of thing.

And, of course, all you have to do is go back four years to Dubya to see the idea taken to the extreme.  Or today's Congress.  Michelle Bachman sits on the House Permanent Select Committee for Intelligence in what I can only assume is the US government's way of teaching its citizens what an oxymoron is.

Dan Drezner at Foreign Policy wrote a few short blog posts about the idea of what the best suggestions for foreign policy reading are for American politicians:

http://drezner.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/04/26/announcing_the_ir_101_contest

There's a reason foreign  affairs is at the bottom -- in the post-Cold War world, the American public doesn't care and doesn't know much about international relations.  Short of the presidential level, developing expertise or interest in that area does nothing for a politician's electoral chances -- and even at the presidential leve it's a mixed bag.

With this kind of mindset, giving a Senator a copy of Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War and assuming they'll get really hooked on the story is faintly absurd.  Many of my academic brethren might proffer up one of the more recent classics in international relations theory.  To which I say, "BWA HA HA HA HA!!!!"  Neither Kenneth Waltz nor Bruce Bueno de Mesquita would last as long in a politicians' hands as Thucydides.

No, if you're educating a politician from scratch, you need something relatively pithy, accessible, relevant to current events, and America-centric.  Given those criteria, Friedman's oeuvre makes some kind of inuitive sense, no matter how wrong or ripe for satire it is.  I mean, what's the alternative -- Three Cups of Tea?

http://drezner.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/04/30/what_should_aspiring_politicians_read_in_ir_the_readers_strike_back

http://drezner.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/05/03/the_five_must_read_us_foreign_policv_books_for_aspring_politicians

Or just listen to the Republican presidential candidates on the rare occasion that they speak about foreign policy.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 06:44:59 PM by Boogie »
MMA

Boogie

• The Smooth Canadian
  • Icon
Anybody who writes a book titled Theories of International Politics and Zombies is all right by me!
MMA

Mandark

• Icon
Neither here nor there, but Zakaria is really bad when he's not talking foreign policy.

Phoenix Dark

Human Snorenado

• Icon
Neither here nor there, but Zakaria is really bad when he's not talking foreign policy.

He suffers from the "let's dick punch the poor as a way for them to get some skin in the game" Washington groupthink on domestic stuff, for sure.
yar

Phoenix Dark

He suffers from the "let's dick punch the poor as a way for them to get some skin in the game" Washington groupthink on domestic stuff, for sure.

It's the only way you can get into those Georgetown dinner parties. I can imagine him walking into some huge townhouse and seeing David Brooks sitting on Paul Ryan's lap listening to stories. Then Arianna Huffington walks by and says "they got you too, huh"

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
The experience I had with student loans is a gentle dicking compared to the hard ass ramming that students are now going to have to face:

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/recentChangesSA.jsp
🍆🍆

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
 :'(
püp

Barry Egan

• The neurotic is nailed to the cross of his fiction.
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Oblivion

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
Jeez, at least put a :nsfw on these kind of Mormon dirty jokes
___