Author Topic: The NBA thread  (Read 1519578 times)

etiolate

Re: NBA 2K11 Thread of Kobe's sixth ring
« Reply #1560 on: April 18, 2011, 12:30:38 AM »
I'd root for the Nuggets since they're entertaining to watch but they'll get screwed in the playoffs.

CALLED IT

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: NBA 2K11 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #1561 on: April 18, 2011, 12:34:33 AM »
Durant + Westbrook = 72 points

:bow
dog

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1562 on: April 18, 2011, 02:06:41 AM »
Durant is just fucking beastly.
püp

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #1563 on: April 18, 2011, 11:12:11 AM »
The onion as usual puts things into perspective.

Quote from: The Onion
MIAMI—Despite having high expectations heading into the 2010-2011 season, the Miami Heat suffered the worst regular season record of all-time Wednesday, limping to a painfully humiliating 58-24 and finishing an embarrassing second place in the Eastern Conference. "The Three Kings experiment is officially a disaster," said TNT basketball analyst Charles Barkley, who later called the Heat "pathetic" because the team only won a league-best 28 times on the road. "Two dozen losses and guaranteed home court advantage for two rounds of the NBA playoffs? Wow. This team owes an apology not just to its fans, but to the entire league." Sources confirmed this may have been the single worst performance by any team since the 1995-1996 Chicago Bulls lost a regular-season road game to the Denver Nuggets.

also

[youtube=560,345][/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 12:27:54 PM by Stoney Mason »

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1564 on: April 18, 2011, 04:20:20 PM »
fucking hell at lebron's passes.  no one does it better :bow2
püp

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1565 on: April 18, 2011, 08:53:53 PM »
2 absolutely GREAT days of ball so far. Unfortunately, because I'm mostly watching time-shifted via League Pass, I basically have to keep out of this thread (as well as off Facebook, twitter and news sites) to avoid getting spoiled but it's worth it.  (My other big peeve - those fucking infographics during games that tell you the results or scores of all the other games! aargh! Which means I have to watch the games IN ORDER on top of everything else....)

Anyway, lots of good teams got their noses bloodied. Lots of wins on the road. Lots of NEW TEAMS in the playoffs. Close, hard-fought games all round. Chris Paul back in the playoffs and looking like his old bad-assed self! It's fucking great. I still have no clue how this is all going to play out. I'm now hoping for OKC vs Bulls! It could happen! :hyper
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1566 on: April 18, 2011, 09:38:45 PM »
Win or lose Miami looks like shit in this game. Same 1 against 5 horseshit in the 4th quarter which is why they always end up missing a ton of shots. Fucking get a post game Lebron.

not tonight :teehee
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1567 on: April 18, 2011, 09:47:21 PM »
Heat looked great tonight. Especially Bosh and Lebron and their defense in general.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1568 on: April 18, 2011, 09:48:11 PM »
Does anybody on the planet enjoy listening to Reggie Miller?
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1569 on: April 18, 2011, 09:49:24 PM »
knicks fans

spoiler (click to show/hide)
swish
[close]
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1570 on: April 18, 2011, 09:49:52 PM »
Does anybody on the planet enjoy listening to Reggie Miller?

There are only a few color guys I can tolerate for basketball. Most of them are terrible even if its a former superstar like Reggie.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1571 on: April 18, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »
If I'm not listening to Phil Buckhantz play the shameless homer, I like JVG.

Mike Breen:  "A good defensive possession for them, despite giving up the basket at the end."

Van Gundy:  "You can't call it a good possession if you let the other team score.  That's like Mrs. Lincoln saying she enjoyed the play!"

Breen and Mark Jackson:  "..."

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1572 on: April 18, 2011, 10:20:17 PM »
Pacers giving the bulls a lot of trouble for some reason.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1573 on: April 19, 2011, 12:58:28 AM »
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 01:02:22 AM by Stoney Mason »

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1574 on: April 19, 2011, 04:33:36 AM »
If I'm not listening to Phil Buckhantz play the shameless homer, I like JVG.

Mike Breen:  "A good defensive possession for them, despite giving up the basket at the end."

Van Gundy:  "You can't call it a good possession if you let the other team score.  That's like Mrs. Lincoln saying she enjoyed the play!"

Breen and Mark Jackson:  "..."

Yeah, Van Gundy is awesome. I've watched bad games just to hear him and Mark Jackson go back and forth. Jackson has a great selection of quotes for the slo-mo replays - I can pretty much say them along with him in real-time at this point. 'Hand down, Man down!', 'Momma, there goes that man!' etc...

Hubie is the best for pure color though. I thought C-Webb did a great job on the Bulls game - first time I've heard him do that, actually. The other combo I can't stand is Marv and the Czar - they clearly fucking hate each other and their sparring makes me genuinely tense and uncomfortable.
vjj

etiolate

« Reply #1575 on: April 19, 2011, 02:13:07 PM »
really don't like Mike Breen's company apologist deal

and his PbP bores me most of the

edit: Not Mike Breen that I am thinking of, or maybe it is? Whoever the forgettable ABC guy is who seems to get all the games

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1576 on: April 19, 2011, 04:17:05 PM »
After Nate McMillan complained about the officiating, the NBA is sending in Danny Crawford to tie the series up. $35,000 for a guaranteed playoff win, that's a pretty fair price. Mark Cuban should look into that deal.
©@©™

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1577 on: April 19, 2011, 07:20:53 PM »
Rondo is killing the knicks poor defense early. Not sure why anybody isn't trying to stop his drives.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1578 on: April 19, 2011, 09:56:29 PM »
Knicks lose another incredibly close one.

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #1579 on: April 19, 2011, 10:04:08 PM »
sigh

fuck basketball
AMC

Beezy

« Reply #1580 on: April 19, 2011, 11:22:39 PM »
These close losses are killing me. They didn't even have Amare and Billups yet they still barely lost. This shit is frustrating.

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #1581 on: April 19, 2011, 11:30:53 PM »
Good to see Jared Jefferies is still the push over he was at Indiana. smh

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1582 on: April 19, 2011, 11:52:42 PM »
He's getting minutes at center for the Knicks, no?  When he was here in DC, he was mostly a 2-guard.  Which just goes to show his versatility, able to fail at four positions.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1583 on: April 20, 2011, 08:23:27 PM »
Nugs-OKC is a crazy up and down game so far
vjj

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1584 on: April 21, 2011, 08:05:39 PM »
Is it just me or are ernie and charles getting closer to a fistfight every night?

etiolate

« Reply #1585 on: April 21, 2011, 09:05:45 PM »
While the outcome is far from certain here, there are strong indications that the Maloof family, which owns the Kings, is facing enough opposition to the move to force it back to Sacramento

Specifically, a source with knowledge of the proposal revealed that the television rights riches that had long been seen as a major motivating factor for the Maloofs aren't quite as lucrative as they had hoped. And while it had been assumed they would attempt to fill the programming void left by the Lakers at Fox Sports West due to their recent megadeal with Time Warner that starts in 2012, two sources said that is not the case.
The plan as presented in New York included a possible partnership worth $20 million annually with KDOC, an Orange County-based, independent television station that is co-owned by the very man working so hard to make this move happen. Anaheim Ducks owner Henry Samueli,

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/sam_amick/04/20/sacramento.kings/index.html#ixzz1KD3Jzc3u

If this ends up true, I don't know what the Maloofs are going to do. Not only is their relationship with the fans low, but the fans know a billionaire is interested in buying the team. If they are forced to stay another year, do they show an effort to improve the team or do they do what they have been doing and keep quiet?

ferrarimanf355

• I have the cutest car on The Bore
« Reply #1586 on: April 22, 2011, 10:08:20 PM »
FUCK THE KNICKS
FUCK THE KNICKS
FUCK THE KNICKS
spoiler (click to show/hide)
OH YOU SO PRINGLES. WHERE YOUR CURLEH MUSTACHE AT?
[close]

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1587 on: April 22, 2011, 10:43:38 PM »
JAMAL CRAWFORD
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1588 on: April 22, 2011, 10:48:14 PM »
Hawks game was good although that final 3 was lucky.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1589 on: April 23, 2011, 10:40:14 AM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #1590 on: April 23, 2011, 11:39:44 AM »
That shot was just absurd.
©@©™

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1591 on: April 23, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »
Man, this Pacers team just refuses to roll over and die.  Valiant effort throughout this whole series.
püp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1592 on: April 23, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
:piss Mavs :piss2

>:(

Edit: Might as well call the series now. Mavs dead. Don't even bother playing the next two games.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 07:46:53 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1593 on: April 23, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »
Amazing Portland win & comeback

Bacchus7

« Reply #1594 on: April 23, 2011, 10:08:43 PM »
That's the best sporting event I've ever watched as a fan.
DTF

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1595 on: April 23, 2011, 10:16:34 PM »
This Spurs Memphis game is no slouch either.

Grizzlies about to be up 2-1.

Zach Randolph is a beast.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:19:46 PM by Stoney Mason »

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1596 on: April 24, 2011, 03:42:40 PM »
Heat lose. I'm not sure why Lebron isn't completely unable to pass in late game situations.  >:(

Bacchus7

« Reply #1597 on: April 24, 2011, 04:07:49 PM »
DTF

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1598 on: April 24, 2011, 05:40:49 PM »
The crowd was pretty crazy during that game. Even though they started off the 4th quarter like 16 down, they were still really into it and loud.

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #1599 on: April 24, 2011, 05:49:03 PM »
Smallish markets without other major sports teams seem to produce some of the best crowds (Portland, Utah, etc).  The Spurs sometimes have a problem selling out their arena, but still.  OKC fans basically used that one season with the Hornets as an audition to get a team.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1600 on: April 25, 2011, 01:24:33 AM »
New Orleans won't win this series but Chris Paul is proving what a badass he is.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1601 on: April 25, 2011, 09:09:47 AM »
Poor CP is getting the shit kicked out of him and he still plays like a stud. We'll see today if Kobe's ankle was as bad as he made it out to be.
©ZH

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1602 on: April 25, 2011, 09:27:15 AM »
I was pretty damn excited going into the playoffs but they have exceeded expectations so far. No one series has been as compelling as say Celts-Bulls a few years back, but almost every one has been very compelling, exciting, hard-fought, skilled basketball. The only one of eight I haven't followed is Magic-Hawks (just can't bring myself to care about either of those teams - neither of them has a prayer in the next round also). I think I've seen around 90% of the games so far, and almost all of them have been competitive.

Grizzles-Spurs has been great (and scary to think Rudy Gay is on the bench...), Blazers-Mavs (my pick for an upset going in...) has been just a cage match (and the Roy game was as left-field as the Dragic game last year), Bulls-Pacers (reminds me of AI's Sixers the way Rose is just dragging them singlehandedly on), Hornets-Lakers, just great to see the champs get their noses bloodied...I could go on and on. Also great to see the Celtics work up to speed at last. They look a lot more ready for Miami now. Still not as good as they could be, but all things considered, I'll take it.
vjj

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #1603 on: April 25, 2011, 10:40:18 AM »
I'd put Mark Cuban on suicide watch if the Mavs lose this series.
©ZH

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1604 on: April 25, 2011, 12:52:28 PM »
I was pretty damn excited going into the playoffs but they have exceeded expectations so far. No one series has been as compelling as say Celts-Bulls a few years back, but almost every one has been very compelling, exciting, hard-fought, skilled basketball. The only one of eight I haven't followed is Magic-Hawks (just can't bring myself to care about either of those teams - neither of them has a prayer in the next round also). I think I've seen around 90% of the games so far, and almost all of them have been competitive.

Grizzles-Spurs has been great (and scary to think Rudy Gay is on the bench...), Blazers-Mavs (my pick for an upset going in...) has been just a cage match (and the Roy game was as left-field as the Dragic game last year), Bulls-Pacers (reminds me of AI's Sixers the way Rose is just dragging them singlehandedly on), Hornets-Lakers, just great to see the champs get their noses bloodied...I could go on and on. Also great to see the Celtics work up to speed at last. They look a lot more ready for Miami now. Still not as good as they could be, but all things considered, I'll take it.

Celtics are playing very well. Although I'm rooting for the heat I just don't think they have the poise to beat the Celtics. They have the talent to do it, but the Heat just don't play well down the stretch which seems like a big weakness against a team like the Celtics.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1605 on: April 25, 2011, 01:03:22 PM »
I want to see OKC just absolutely smash the Lakers. And then the Heat.
dog

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1606 on: April 25, 2011, 07:26:10 PM »

not very likely, but it would be fun. You saw them at the end of that last game against the Nuggets? Appalling execution there.
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1607 on: April 25, 2011, 07:32:09 PM »
Yeah, but you picked the Knicks to beat the Celts :lol
vjj

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1608 on: April 25, 2011, 07:39:52 PM »

not very likely, but it would be fun. You saw them at the end of that last game against the Nuggets? Appalling execution there.

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=310424003
dog

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #1609 on: April 25, 2011, 07:43:32 PM »
gonna step in and root for the Hawks.  :)
XDF

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1610 on: April 25, 2011, 07:50:55 PM »

http://espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=310424003

The difference being, one of those teams is the Lakers, is coached by Phil Jackson and has won game 7s, overtimes on the road, came back from behind in a series, survived injuries mid-series...you name it. And the other has just won its first ever playoff road win, in highly unconvincing fashion, against a team with nothing resembling a star. The Thunder are a great team but seriously, it looked like they were TRYING not to win that one.

Pau did botch that awesome pass from Kobe though, jesus  Would love to know what Kobe said after that. Apparently it involved Easter. :lol
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:00:38 PM by Cormacaroni »
vjj

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1611 on: April 25, 2011, 08:04:16 PM »
Yeah, but you picked the Knicks to beat the Celts :lol

Hey they played great up until they went back to New York  :lol

I still see the Lakers coming out of the west and either the Bulls or Celtics from the east. I see this as the last year the lakers or the celtics(especially the celtics) are considered the top teams.

EDIT: Ganhyun my man where have you been?

This is exactly the way the Celts have beaten teams since KG arrived though. They grind them down with their defense, late game execution and general physical and mental abuse, and have a few close games until they break the other team's spirit completely. And from there they romp. This is actually the first time they have swept a team in the KG era. But they haven't lost a whole lot of series'. You should have been expecting exactly what happened.
vjj

Beezy

« Reply #1612 on: April 25, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »
I realized this from the first game, but still I expected the knicks to win at least one game.
They should have. Oh well.

Cormacaroni

• Poster of the Forever
« Reply #1613 on: April 25, 2011, 08:24:25 PM »
I realized this from the first game, but still I expected the knicks to win at least one game.

Hardly what you were saying on FB but your defeat is total so I will attempt to be gracious
vjj

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1614 on: April 25, 2011, 08:32:40 PM »
Rooting for Memphis to make this series 3-1 tonight.  Man, what if the Lakers and Spurs both exit in the first round?  Would be crazy.
püp

Ganhyun

• Used to worship Muckhole. Now worships Robo.
« Reply #1615 on: April 25, 2011, 08:55:47 PM »
Hey Wrath, I've been pretty busy with the old lady, work, and classes for work. How goes things?

Also, on topic, any chance the Hawks can make a Cinderella run to the finals and win?
XDF

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1616 on: April 25, 2011, 10:01:57 PM »
Memphis is really giving the Spurs the business.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1617 on: April 25, 2011, 10:02:49 PM »
Also, on topic, any chance the Hawks can make a Cinderella run to the finals and win?

No.

But after the lackluster season they had, beating the magic will be a nice consolation prize for them.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #1618 on: April 25, 2011, 10:19:29 PM »
I don't know, based on how the Bulls have been playing, I could see the Hawks taking the Bulls to six or seven games.  Maybe even win it.  But they'll of course lose to either the Heat or Celtics.
püp

Stoney Mason

« Reply #1619 on: April 25, 2011, 10:31:09 PM »
I think the bulls for whatever reason are playing down to the level of their competition in the Indiana series. Which isn't great but I think its way too early to over-react. The Hawks always matched up well with the Magic who are an underachieving and fundamentally broken team themselves. It's going to take a lot more to convince me that the hawks can beat the bulls.