Author Topic: Can someone explain to me the Harry Potter Phenom?  (Read 5990 times)

Mondain

• no bias
Re: Can someone explain to me the Harry Potter Phenom?
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2007, 06:05:51 PM »
And it's not an exploitation of Rowling's character and situation that turned it into a monstrous success? Geez, they were reporting every move she made in the early pages of the newspaper and of TV news shows at some point in time. Who wouldn't gather acclaim and sales in such conditions? :lol

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2007, 06:12:28 PM »
She had sales and popularity before there was media acclaim.
serge

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2007, 06:13:49 PM »
And it's not an exploitation of Rowling's character and situation that turned it into a monstrous success?

omfg Mondain, seek help.
dap

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2007, 06:15:42 PM »
What happened with Harry Potter is that childrens shows and movies were becoming overly safe, overly PC and sterile.  Growing up I had lots of cartoons, there were fantastical Henson productions, there was darker stuff like Labyrinth or Return to Oz.

I think you're mythologizing your own childhood a bit, et.  There has always been safe and saccharine entertainment for kids, especially young ones, and there's been plenty of violent or adventure-oriented children's stuff in the last decade.

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2007, 06:16:18 PM »
Urgh, I never said or meant (even with "in its beginnings") that the popularity of HP was only due to mainstream media hype. But it's what IMO took the fad to the next level.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2007, 06:17:07 PM »
yeah, she would've been a monster success regardless of the rags-to-riches story. in fact, i'll bet very few of her less hardcore fans even know her personal history. my wife's a huge fan, and she knows fuckall about rowling's history. she loves the books because she loves high school dramas, fantasy, and british authors, in that order.
duc

TVC15

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2007, 06:19:31 PM »
Urgh, I never said or meant (even with "in its beginnings") that the popularity of HP was only due to mainstream media hype. But it's what IMO took the fad to the next level.

Quote from: you
Harry Potter got hyped so much by the medias in its beginnings, which allowed it to escalate to the tragic levels of popularity that we've all witnessed for a few years.

How could you have possibly meant that while stating "in its beginnings?"
serge

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2007, 06:19:52 PM »
After watching all the hype about Harry Potter, people must of felt this way about Star Wars. Though Star Wars did I think have original elements while J.K did mash up a lot of fantasy together. As well as the fact George Lucas did actual bring something new into film making.

I think the biggest thing is that J.K has endeared herself to female fans (despite having a male protagonist), which most fantasy writers have not capitalised upon. In a sense she, in the public perception stopped making teenage fantasy the domain for desperate, pimply boys.

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2007, 06:21:28 PM »
As well as the fact George Lucas did actual bring something new into film making.

While subtly ripping off the Seven Samurai.
dap

Fresh Prince

• a one-eyed cat peepin' in a seafood store
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2007, 06:25:29 PM »
As well as the fact George Lucas did actual bring something new into film making.

Wasn't it another movie? Anyway he did bring new technical aspects to film making.

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2007, 06:27:12 PM »
How could you have possibly meant that while stating "in its beginnings?"

When it began to be popularized in the mainstream medias.

TVC15

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2007, 06:32:17 PM »
So, what you are saying is that when the media began covering the series is when the media began covering the series?
serge

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2007, 06:38:25 PM »
tvc, mondain is socially dysfunctional and probably unaware of the "watercooler" or "playground" effect, whereby certain books, games, shows or what-have-you are catapulted into the cultural stratosphere by dint of being WHAT EVERYONE IS TALKING ABOUT. many, many semi-popular things start this way, only to never strike the balance between accessibility and relative originality necessary to be a subject of regular real-world conversation. harry potter became successful due to word of mouth, and suggesting that the author's personal history is even remotely responsible for it is a total non-sequitur. mondain, are you going to suggest that american idol hit it big because simon cowell used to live with his mom, or that lost is big because j.j. abrams schtupped jennifer garner?
duc

« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »

Wasn't it another movie? Anyway he did bring new technical aspects to film making.

Hidden Fortress, not Seven Samurai.
野球

The Fake Shemp

• Ebola Carrier
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2007, 10:59:29 PM »
Why does Mondain harbor some deep resentment against the media, which he know blames or cries conspiracy against anything that nudges against his socially awkward sensibilities?
PSP

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2007, 11:27:42 PM »
Why does Mondain harbor some deep resentment against the media, which he know blames or cries conspiracy against anything that nudges against his socially awkward sensibilities?

Who knows.  Dude is fucked up.  I mean, he supposedly likes everywhere else on the interwebs so much better than GAF but whenever he gets a chance to get a dig in on it he does. 
yar

etiolate

« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2007, 01:57:53 AM »
What happened with Harry Potter is that childrens shows and movies were becoming overly safe, overly PC and sterile.  Growing up I had lots of cartoons, there were fantastical Henson productions, there was darker stuff like Labyrinth or Return to Oz.

I think you're mythologizing your own childhood a bit, et.  There has always been safe and saccharine entertainment for kids, especially young ones, and there's been plenty of violent or adventure-oriented children's stuff in the last decade.

There was safe stuff in my childhood(Mr Rogers) but there were darker things.  At a certain point, those darker, more fantastical things dropped off.  I can't think of a single late 90s movie aimed at youngens as dark as Neverending Story or a Return to Oz can be(not that Return to Oz was reallya imed at kids, but people thought it was jsut due to Oz). Nickelodeon and Disney were dominating youth media for awhile and I found them to be much lighter on fantasy or dark themes than the 80s era television and movies. 

So to me, kids were starved of what Harry Potter provided.

Candyflip

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2007, 01:59:33 AM »

There was safe stuff in my childhood(Mr Rogers) but there were darker things.  At a certain point, those darker, more fantastical things dropped off.  I can't think of a single late 90s movie aimed at youngens as dark as Neverending Story or a Return to Oz can be(not that Return to Oz was reallya imed at kids, but people thought it was jsut due to Oz). Nickelodeon and Disney were dominating youth media for awhile and I found them to be much lighter on fantasy or dark themes than the 80s era television and movies. 

So to me, kids were starved of what Harry Potter provided.
The 90s needed a Goonies.
ffs