Author Topic: Can someone explain to me the Harry Potter Phenom?  (Read 5991 times)

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
Can someone explain to me the Harry Potter Phenom?
« on: July 20, 2007, 12:58:13 PM »
I understand people liking the books, thats fine. Hell I might give them another shot someday, but I read about half of the first one and it just didnt click with me. While I can understand people liking the books, I don't quite understand the FEVER. Since I never finished the first book even, is the series full of well written cliff-hangers? Is it the character of Harry? Is it the ensemble cast? Are the cliff-hangers awesome? Is the series just THAT accessible?

I mean i've seen the latest movie and most of the 1st movie and while they content of these films was fine, it wasn't particularly mind blowing. This series is almost as popular as the bible, so im trying to figure out where it all comes from.
o_0

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Re: Can someone explain to me the Harry Potter Phenom?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 01:02:29 PM »
OMG WIZARDS N SHIT
yar

MrAngryFace

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 01:03:34 PM »
The books by Steven Erikson have that too!
o_0

Cyanista

• IGNORE ME
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 01:05:17 PM »
The Earthsea Trilogy has a pretty cool wizard.  I haven't read the books, but people tell me they are like diet fantasy. 

Whatever.  I can handle grownup books, finally.
omg

Himu

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 01:08:56 PM »
I can't explain the fever either. I mean, they're decent books but they are pretty fun. but at the same time, you wonder why people don't read anymore more productive.
IYKYK

Saint Cornelius

• Always rockin' the sawed-off wisdom.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 01:09:37 PM »
I can't explain the fever either. I mean, they're decent books but they are pretty fun. but at the same time, you wonder why people don't read anymore more productive.

Settle down padna, you're gonna hurt yourself. That last bit at the end was like what?
dap

Himu

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 01:13:43 PM »

Settle down padna, you're gonna hurt yourself. That last bit at the end was like what?

You do realize how many people ONLY read Harry Potter right? They're like, I like to read...Harry Potter that is. And don't read anything else. So it's awfully funny that books written for children take the spotlight for the majority of peoples reading schedule.
IYKYK

MrAngryFace

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 01:14:44 PM »
Maybe it has something to do with the idea that its 'fantasy that isn't geeky, but instead very trendy'. Then again I know a lot of people who have read MUCH heavier fantasy/sci fi that love the books too.
o_0

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 01:17:32 PM »
You do realize how many people ONLY read Harry Potter right? They're like, I like to read...Harry Potter that is. And don't read anything else. So it's awfully funny that books written for children take the spotlight for the majority of peoples reading schedule.

Why is it funny? This seems like more elitist H8.
dap

MrAngryFace

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 01:20:46 PM »
Well I find it hard to fault any book for getting more people to read, Himuro.
o_0

Himu

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 01:21:14 PM »

You don't find that odd at all?

Are trying to get pussy by having your date play "I put hidden notes in the new Harry Potter book!" or something?

Well I find it hard to fault any book for getting more people to read, Himuro.

I'm not faulting it. I just find it odd that some people will only read HP. There's nothing wrong with that, but that phenomenon is just puzzling, is all.
IYKYK

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2007, 01:22:13 PM »

Srsly, Corny.  I don't get it.  You wanna bitch about elitism but then when someone fucks with YOUR shit it's like there's no acceptable answer other than to ratchet it up to 11. 

Give in to the notion that some people suck and we are better than them.  You'll be happier!
yar

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2007, 01:24:07 PM »
You don't find that odd at all?

No, like MAF said: anything that gets people reading (other than the fucking bible) is okie-dokie in my book. Less illiterate motherfuckers arguing with me on the intarwebs!

Are trying to get pussy by having your date play "I put hidden notes in the new Harry Potter book!" or something?

I wish the insults here were a little snappier than just repeating something that I linked to and equating that as my fucking steeze. Are not trying to get pussy that way, Himuro! Am learn to type pretty one day!
dap

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2007, 01:24:58 PM »
Srsly, Corny.  I don't get it.  You wanna bitch about elitism but then when someone fucks with YOUR shit it's like there's no acceptable answer other than to ratchet it up to 11.

...I don't see the problem? Everything I like is filled with awesomeness and anyone who disagrees is a h8r. Rational!
dap

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2007, 01:26:27 PM »

...I don't see the problem? Everything I like is filled with awesomeness and anyone who disagrees is a h8r. Rational!

Yeah, but a lot of the time you're not even defending shit you like.  You're just bucking the trend... well sometimes the trend is correct, sir!
yar

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 01:31:26 PM »
Elminster > Potter
serge

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 01:32:39 PM »
Elminster > Potter

GAY MAGNETO>Elminster>Potter
yar

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 01:36:56 PM »
Losing my dick in a horrible plumbing accident > arguing with elitists
dap

CajoleJuice

• kill me
  • Icon
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 01:37:43 PM »
No, like MAF said: anything that gets people reading (other than the fucking bible) is okie-dokie in my book. Less illiterate motherfuckers arguing with me on the intarwebs!

I'd rather they watch THE SHIELD.
AMC

Himu

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 01:37:55 PM »
What the fuck are you talking about? This has nothing to do with elitism?
IYKYK

Candyflip

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 01:38:19 PM »
I read the first one a year or two after it came out when I was 8 or 9, before the series got so big. I still don't know how that happened. It's kind of annoying that there's this mass hysteria over it, but whatever. The books were genuinely enjoying, if not complex, and I wasn't about to stop reading them out of the blue because it became so disgustingly popular.
ffs

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 01:42:07 PM »
What the fuck are you talking about? This has nothing to do with elitism?

You're fucking uptalking? It's almost like you're pushing my buttons on purpose?
dap

TVC15

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 01:51:42 PM »
I can't explain the Harry Potter phenomenon, but I'm glad it happened because maybe it means kids will read something else. At least this generation, bare minimum, will not be as dumb as FoC.

Also, Corny, feel free to lose your dick in my ass whenever you'd like.
serge

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 01:54:35 PM »
my theory:

1) school-era nostalgia, only now the nerds can be athletes and the wallflowers popular due to that most intangible of fancies: MAGICK! anyone in the potterverse can be a great wizard and thus stave off the cruelty of high school torment, and perhaps even score with the hotties and get invited to cool adventures/parties! even though harry's a moody fuck, we are always aware that his life ain't so bad because OMG HE'S A FUCKING WIZARD. try being harry without the grand adventures, loyal friends, and magical superpowers -- now THAT sucks!

2) simple, easily digested plots with well-developed casts that lend themselves particularly well to escapism and self-insertion. the school setting is particularly well made for self-insertion; hence the obscene number of fanfics (and complete novel rewrites)!

3) magickal world is anodyne against the cruel mundanity of the real world; many of the folks "discovering" harry potter -- especially the adults -- have never read fantasy, and the realization that they can imagine the fantastic is like an immediate amelioration of some component of their hatefully dull, unsuccessful little lives. i can't count the number of fans who associate this feeling of "imagination" exclusively with harry potter, and they often won't try other books because they feel that by doing so they tarnish the pure recollection of first reading the hp books.

4) some well-read folks read and enjoy harry potter because the style likewise evokes a sense of nostalgia for the roald dahl and similar books of their childhood, and because as far as escapism goes: hey, at least it isn't piers anthony!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 01:56:08 PM by Professor Prole »
duc

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 01:58:02 PM »
The HP books aren't nearly good enough to warrant the mass hysteria surrounding them, but what pop culture phenomenon is?

In the past, I haven't "gotten" Titanic, nu metal, The Da Vinci Code, etc.  But I haven't expected the popularity of things to match my own tastes since 10th grade.

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 01:58:12 PM »
i covet my elitism, and every complaint about it only delights me as it confirms the gulf between my superior sensibilities and their proletarian drudgery exists!

:tophat :hyper :tophat
duc

TVC15

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2007, 01:59:54 PM »
In the past, I haven't "gotten" Titanic, nu metal, The Da Vinci Code, etc.  But I haven't expected the popularity of things to match my own tastes since 10th grade.

Bwahaha, look at Mandark trying to retcon his NU METAL phase!  I have people that will vouch for you having dreadlocks during your Korn phase!
serge

MrAngryFace

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2007, 02:06:12 PM »
NU METAL
o_0

MrAngryFace

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2007, 02:08:40 PM »
Im gonna give the first book another shot I think, We'LL SEE RITE
o_0

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2007, 02:09:15 PM »

Bwahaha, look at Mandark trying to retcon his NU METAL phase!  I have people that will vouch for you having dreadlocks during your Korn phase!

If I had a nu metal phase, maybe I would've made more friends the last couple years of HS!  I was a lonely britpop fan, and have the beat up jewel cases of Parklife and His 'n' Hers to prove it, dammit.

PP:  Yeah, but if the elitists spend all the time complaining and being shocked, SHOCKED to find that people have questionable taste, then suddenly you've volunteered yourself for the Margaret Dumont/Judge Smails role.

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2007, 02:11:34 PM »
I was a lonely britpop fan, and have the beat up jewel cases of Parklife and His 'n' Hers to prove it, dammit.

As was I, but if we had grown up in England, we wouldn't have been the outsiders, we'd be just another member of the flock.
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2007, 02:12:39 PM »
Tu no sabes que es amar
por eso hieres
y te aprovechas del amor
que limpiamente yo te doy
se muy bien que me haces dar /> y sin embargo aki me tienes
ojala y no te arrepientas
de haberme causado este dolor
antes de que tu llegaras
mi vida era diferente
no sentia ninguna pena
mi mundo era de color
con tu maldad y tu soberbia
lo tee de tristeza
con tus mentiras me dejaste muerto en vida el corazon

Me haces llorar y yo no lo merezco
pues no hago mas que amarte
y entregarme por completo
las heridas que hoy me dejas
sanaran pasando el tiempo
pronto va a llegara el dia
que tambien te hagan llorar.

Alguien te va a hacer llorar cuando te enamores
y me vas a recordar
por que el amor que yo te doy no c puede igualar
no sera facil encontrar alguien que te ame de verdad.
y te van a lastimar
como hoy lo haces conmigo
y no va a ver marcha atras
porque asi es el destino
sentiras la soledad y este maldito frio
Alguien te va a hacer llorar
y ese sera tu castigo.

Me haces llorar y yo no lo merezco
pues no hago mas que amarte
y entregarme por completo
las heridas que hoy me dejas
sanaran pasando el tiempo
pronto va a llegara el dia
que tambien te hagan llorar.

y me vas a recordar
por que el amor que yo te doy no c puede igualar
no sera facil encontrar alguien que te ame de verdad.
y te van a lastimar
como hoy lo haces conmigo
y no va a ver marcha atras
porque asi es el destino
sentiras la soledad y este maldito frio
Alguien te va a hacer llorar
y ese sera tu castigo.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2007, 02:16:02 PM »
I think Drinky hits it.

Basically, Potter starts out in a house where his parents are cruel, his sibling-figure is an oafish, spoiled pig who gets what he wants. Basically a miserable experience where Harry is a nobody and no one treats him like a human.

Than he is whisked away to a fantasy land where not only, he has magical powers .. but he has a pedigree that makes him a rock star among his peers and teachers.

What angsty pre-teen/teenager can't yearn for that? Especially, today's emokids.

Then factor in that it may be the readers first experience with a book that is longer than 100 pages and actually has some sort of structure and you can see why they would get emotionally attached to it or it's characters. That's the magic of books.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 02:20:45 PM by ToxicAdam »

Mandark

• Icon
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2007, 02:16:26 PM »
Im gonna give the first book another shot I think, We'LL SEE RITE

Don't bother.  I'm sure you have a good sense of what you do and don't like, and the first book is probably the weakest to boot.

Unless you're planning on dating a single mother and need to win over the kids, it's a better payoff finding something you'd actually enjoy reading.

MrAngryFace

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2007, 02:17:16 PM »
haha :(

I need to read through the Erikson books again, maybe youre right.
o_0

TVC15

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2007, 02:19:55 PM »
At least the Potter books are better than anything Chuck Palahniuck has produced.
serge

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2007, 02:26:06 PM »
At least the Potter books are better than anything Chuck Palahniuck has produced.

ftw
duc

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2007, 02:26:59 PM »

Oh, that's not fair.

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2007, 02:29:15 PM »
anne is sending me off to borders at 12:30 tonight to pick up a copy of the book because she wants to read it so she can play WoW again (since logging into wow = instant spoilers).

in her defense, her attraction to ANY fantasy book is much like drinky's willingness to play anything with loot and levels
hex

Himu

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2007, 02:36:25 PM »
anne is sending me off to borders at 12:30 tonight to pick up a copy of the book because she wants to read it so she can play WoW again (since logging into wow = instant spoilers).

in her defense, her attraction to ANY fantasy book is much like drinky's willingness to play anything with loot and levels

just go to wal mart dude at 12. no line, no mess. just walk up there and grab a damn book, and usually it's cheaper there too.
IYKYK

Fragamemnon

• Excel 2008 GOTY
  • Icon
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2007, 02:59:16 PM »

just go to wal mart dude at 12. no line, no mess. just walk up there and grab a damn book, and usually it's cheaper there too.

Revelation, I will do so. If only because Wal-Mart and Harry Potter are, like, THE perfect combination.
hex

Tauntaun

• I'm cute, you should be too.
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2007, 03:22:15 PM »

all I gotta say :heartbeat
:)

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2007, 03:25:45 PM »
We ordered it from Amazon, so it'll arrive sometime Saturday morning. Then, the real battle begins: who gets to read it first, Distantmantra or Bride of Distantmantra?!?
野球

Tauntaun

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2007, 03:29:21 PM »
We ordered it from Amazon, so it'll arrive sometime Saturday morning. Then, the real battle begins: who gets to read it first, Distantmantra or Bride of Distantmantra?!?

punch her in the cooter and throw some flowers on her crumpled over body and whisper in her ear, "sorry babe, it's just the way it is...oh, I could go for some chocolate chip pancakes while I'm reading."  then walk away and enjoy the read. :punch

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2007, 03:32:41 PM »
Hehe. I'll let her read it over the weekend. Since I'm on summer vacation from work right now, I can read the whole thing on Monday while she's at work.
野球

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2007, 03:43:08 PM »
Harry Potter got hyped so much by the medias in its beginnings, which allowed it to escalate to the tragic levels of popularity that we've all witnessed for a few years.

The real reason for the success I believe, is that newspapers and TV news editors, along with the young fans' parents, found what's-her-name admirable for making a financially successful book when she was living on welfare to ensure a living to her kids.

Don't you remember all the news reports that were about the author instead of the books and the characters themselves? People love to read real-life stories about someone reaching the summit out of nothing, and for honorable causes at that.

It's scary to realize that people will worship anything that either the newspapers, radio or TV will present to them.

Tauntaun

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2007, 03:48:37 PM »
Hehe. I'll let her read it over the weekend. Since I'm on summer vacation from work right now, I can read the whole thing on Monday while she's at work.

Yeah my wife will be reading the final harry potter book straight through until she finishes tonight, she did it with book 6 too.  :lol  It's her loss of sleep and my time to play BF 2142 until I fall asleep.  :D

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2007, 03:56:24 PM »
Anyone else hear about DeepDiscount getting sued over delivering the book too early?

I hope this doesn't put an end to their awesome twice yearly sales...
野球

Mupepe

• Icon
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2007, 03:58:53 PM »

Saint Cornelius

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2007, 04:02:25 PM »
It's scary to realize that people will worship anything that either the newspapers, radio or TV will present to them.

Like the Sony Playstation 3, Mondain?
dap

Eduardo24

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2007, 04:11:32 PM »

That happens to everyone, including you.
DRA

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2007, 04:12:46 PM »

That happens to everyone, including you.

ESPECIALLY him.
yar

etiolate

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2007, 04:21:24 PM »
My theory has always been this:

I read junior fiction fantasy growing up, I liked it, and I know theres plenty of other authors who did the same thing JK Rowling did.  It's just that they did it earlier. What happened with Harry Potter is that childrens shows and movies were becoming overly safe, overly PC and sterile.  Growing up I had lots of cartoons, there were fantastical Henson productions, there was darker stuff like Labyrinth or Return to Oz. I grew up on Star Wars and The Never Ending Story, but then all that sort of stuff stopped, and a generation grew up on Barney and Rugrats, and they were basically starved for fantasy or any danger or adventure. Harry Potter comes along and boom! It's magic and not a children's self help book.

TVC15

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2007, 04:35:21 PM »
Man, Jotaro am dumb.  The books were a legitimate phenomenon, Jotaro, and the press didn't even catch on until the third book.  They sold via their own momentum.  Not that the media didn't feed the hype once they caught on, but the way you are describing it, you believe that the books would be unpopular without the media.
serge

« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2007, 04:45:25 PM »
Man, Jotaro am dumb.  The books were a legitimate phenomenon, Jotaro, and the press didn't even catch on until the third book.  They sold via their own momentum.  Not that the media didn't feed the hype once they caught on, but the way you are describing it, you believe that the books would be unpopular without the media.

Media hype (and some good old fashion nepotism) created Eragon, not Harry Potter.

The HP books aren't top tier literature or anything, but they're really fun reads that are easy to get into.
野球

Tauntaun

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2007, 04:47:39 PM »

OH SNAPS!  :o  You just got some Hard.Gay.Truth!

spoiler (click to show/hide)

eat it nicca! :punch
[close]

Eduardo24

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2007, 05:05:34 PM »
The first one came out in 1997.  The media didn´t give a shit back then.  As White Man said, the media didn´t hype the thing until the third book, the same year Warner Bros. bought the film rights to the book.
DRA

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2007, 05:07:02 PM »
yup, no-one gave a fuck about potter until word-of-mouth hit critical mass with prisoner of azkaban. the books are legitimately decent young adult fiction, and had they stayed as a purely young adult phenomenon they probably wouldn't recieve the literary excoriation they do from the elitist set. it's when adults started reading the series that it went gangbusters, and therein lies the problem we're discussing: that most american adult readers can really only digest fiction that targets teenagers, if the success of this series is any indicator.
duc

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2007, 05:21:23 PM »
The games are better
fat

« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2007, 06:03:33 PM »
The games are better

Hehe, I'll probably pick up Order of the Phoenix for the PS3 once I can get it for $20.
野球