Author Topic: The hatred for Final Fantasy X is incomprehensible  (Read 5591 times)

Mondain

• no bias
The hatred for Final Fantasy X is incomprehensible
« on: August 01, 2006, 02:48:24 AM »
Just done with the game. So far, I'd definitely say that with Xenosaga, it's (so far from what I've played) the console RPG of the generation. While some aspects aren't too gleaming, the more I found faults while playing, the more I got even more addicted to it.

Yeah Tidus sucks, but Square-Enix should've simply picked up a better voice actor with a thougher character. The way that wimp delivered his lines was too cliched, we've heard that fruity voice in a thousand other games and animes, and it just made the game lose a lot of credibility. For the rest, I don't think that the game is _that_ corny. I mean, previous Final Fantasy games were just as corny, only they didn't have any voice acting, and their cutscenes and characters, and 2D/3D animations weren't as detailed, so it was just slightly harder to notice.

But apart from what we've got a pretty good story. I even found the lack of a world map to be refreshing, as it felt more like an enthralling adventure. The combat system is excellent, much improved from older FF combat systems and really dynamic and deep. The sphere grid leveling system is nice too. Blitzball is a pretty cool minigame, although personally I didn't really use it, but still it's totally optional. It's dealing better with espers than any other title in the franchise.

It still stands as one of the very best looking PlayStation 2 games even today.

Clearly, I don't understand what that game is lacking that other Final Fantasy titles had. Maybe the transition from 2D, 2D pre-rendered backgrounds coupled with 3D characters, all the way to full 3D and voice acting wasn't as perfect as we'd hope it'd be, but this is still a game that's very well worth playing. :)

rocketman

Re: The hatred for Final Fantasy X is incomprehensible
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 02:50:31 AM »
The game sucked. Turn-based is becoming more and more boring.

etiolate

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 02:53:50 AM »
I pretty much dislike all the anime doll FF games. The character designs have gotten to the point where they creep me out, like stolen props from a Twilight Zone revival that never happened.

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 02:57:10 AM »
Good battle system, shit everything else. 100 dodges my ass. Fuck you square. Fuck you on my 99th bolt you fucking fuck cock fuck suck faces.
o_0

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 03:00:37 AM »
I pretty much dislike all the anime doll FF games. The character designs have gotten to the point where they creep me out, like stolen props from a Twilight Zone revival that never happened.

Why d'you say that? You do realize that they're pretty much the same kind of anime character designs that older FF titles had, only fully modeled in 3D?

etiolate

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 03:07:53 AM »

Why d'you say that? You do realize that they're pretty much the same kind of anime character designs that older FF titles had, only fully modeled in 3D?

I remember the older FF games being chibi sprites mostly based off of amano designs, neither of which reflect the doll like qualities of recent titles. I might be forgetting a game though.

Bloodwake

• Legend in his own mind
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 03:19:54 AM »
FFX was awesome, IMO.

It was X-2 that was total fucking shit.

But still, XII will definitely be the best Final Fantasy game mostly because there are no random battles, and that simple fact makes my penis hard.
HLR

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 03:27:48 AM »

I remember the older FF games being chibi sprites mostly based off of amano designs, neither of which reflect the doll like qualities of recent titles. I might be forgetting a game though.

I think you're still going slightly overboard with the generalizations. ;P

Final Fantasy XII will have character designs from Yoshida, so characters will look like those featured in Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story. It's the same thing for the remake of Final Fantasy III on NDS too. :)

LunarAura

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 03:30:31 AM »
If a game can't capture me in the first 3 hours (and I'm being generous with 3 hours, usually it's 1), then it's likely not going to.

The first 3 hours of FFX, I couldn't stand Tidus' personality AT ALL. Tolerated it at best. I sort of regret it seeing as the narration (older version of Tidus IIRC) didn't seem like the complete douche I had the displeasure of controlling.

Cyanista

• IGNORE ME
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 03:33:48 AM »
I really liked the story in X.  Maybe I'm just being generous, though, since I was so shocked a game from Japan had a female character that wasn't a complete distinguished mentally-challenged fellow. 

The game was obscenely easy .  . .except for the 100 lightning dodges.  GAH.
omg

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 04:00:18 AM »
It had some good boss battles too, you were forced to muster some good strategies in order to go through them, and they were varied and interesting.

I also liked Seymour as a boss, although he was used way too little in comparison to the whole Sin menace.

pandora

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 04:23:08 PM »
switch teamss lol :D

Cheebs

• How's my posting? Call 1-866-MAF-BANS to report flame bait.
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 05:56:14 PM »
Loved the battle system however
The leveling up system was boring too me. I prefer simple leveling up of traditional rpg's
The story was MEH. Too Japanese Animeish.

Fatghost28

• Finally got a tag
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 09:35:00 PM »
The only game worse than Final Fantasy X is Xenosaga.  You lose Jotaro, your taste is so bad it's like you live in Quebec or something.

HOT

Zaxxon

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 09:49:55 PM »
I hated the characters and the voice acting and the sphere grid seemed complex for complexity's sake. It didn't grab me and I stopped part way through the game.

Mondain

• no bias
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 09:53:07 PM »
I didn't find the sphere grid leveling system to be complex for nothing, I think it was instead built to allow choices to the players in their characters' evolution.

Cheebs

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 10:11:32 PM »
The only game worse than Final Fantasy X is Xenosaga.  You lose Jotaro, your taste is so bad it's like you live in Quebec or something.

Now THAT is harsh. Far worse RPG's alone than FFX and FFX was meh.

Bacon

• MEMBER #37
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 10:53:46 PM »
X is pretty dog shit.

Cheebs

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 10:58:18 PM »
X is pretty dog shit.
But is it worse than USaGa?

TheOMan

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2006, 02:45:29 AM »
I won't be exercising my vocabulary all that well in what follows....

This "game" sucked.  Blitzball sucked.  Tidus sucked.

That is all.
Ace

Himu

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2006, 09:37:51 AM »
Pretty much underrated game, yeah.
IYKYK

Fatghost28

• Finally got a tag
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2006, 09:45:39 AM »
HOT

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2006, 10:15:15 AM »

It's the new internet age. Average games are "underrated" and good games are "shitty".

Enjoy your stay.

rocketman

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2006, 03:42:55 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

It's the new internet age. Average games are "underrated" and good games are "shitty".

Enjoy your stay.

If you're implying Final Fantasy X was anything more than 'typical RPG', you are wrong.

Final Fantasy games are all washed up, with the same storylines written in different manners. The only worthwhie game to look at with the name was Final Fantasy Tactics.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2006, 03:59:08 PM »

If you're implying Final Fantasy X was anything more than 'typical RPG', you are wrong.

Final Fantasy games are all washed up, with the same storylines written in different manners. The only worthwhie game to look at with the name was Final Fantasy Tactics.

I've been playing RPG's since 1985's Questron II. 

Video games are like music ... its all subjective. But, FFX is easily on the top twenty console RPGs of all time.

theetrin

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2006, 06:28:00 PM »
Good battle system, shit everything else. 100 dodges my ass. Fuck you square. Fuck you on my 99th bolt you fucking fuck cock fuck suck faces.

200 bolts actually. :S

I got hit on 198. I never finished the side quest.

I love the FFX battle system. It was a really cool change to the ATB that was in every single FF for the 3 games before it.

brawndolicious

• Nylonhilist
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2006, 06:30:53 PM »
I honestly don't get how there is anything good about turn-based fighting.  Are the movies just fun?  If you have to do massive changes constantly that actually force you to think while fighting I could get it but for the five minutes I played FFX I could only do one attack.