Author Topic: IGA sucks ass  (Read 6560 times)

y2kev

• *your name here* annihilated...
IGA sucks ass
« on: August 01, 2007, 02:40:22 AM »
Yeah, I just thought I'd say he's an uncreative, talentless hack that should be fired. Or perhaps moved back to tokimeki memorial.
haw

Howard Alan Treesong

• キング・メタル・ドラゴン
  • Icon
Re: IGA sucks ass
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 02:41:41 AM »
:(
乱学者

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 02:48:46 AM »
Did he announce something?
fat

y2kev

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 02:52:35 AM »
Did he announce something?

No, unfortunately. No new Castlevania on 360 with ACHIEVEMENTS!!!

Instead we will get Animu DS games with worse music and graphics than SotN.

He's also trying to sabotage rondo on PSP.

KILL IGA.
haw

jiji

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 02:54:00 AM »

How so?
OTL

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 02:56:05 AM »
Nothing wrong with that.
fat

y2kev

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 02:57:24 AM »

How so?

Heh, I'm kinda joking, but kinda curious. IGA dislikes old style Castlevania. He wants it dead. TruGamers want it to coexist peacefully with Metroidvania.

He's weighing the future of castlevania on Dracula X chronicles. The entire thing. So if this game bombs, he can use this as an excuse forever. PSP games bomb by default, so sabotage of old castlevania is already underway.

And then Konami freaking released SOTN on PSN last week, lol. So like you can play it on your PSP now. So the feature set of Dracula X is less impressive.

The game is set up to make sure Old Castlevania is dead FOREVAR
haw

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 03:03:38 AM »
Good, that shit is boring
fat

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 05:57:30 AM »
Nanobreaker was OK, but for all the wrong reasons

abrader

• Bomb-A-Daeus
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 07:09:14 AM »
All of IGA's games are good in my book ;)

Error2k4

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 07:59:10 AM »
IGA sucks, but you can also blame Konami becuase of the low budgets that crap ass company gives to anything not named MGS.
AAA

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 08:43:19 AM »
IGA sucks, but you can also blame Konami becuase of the low budgets that crap ass company gives to anything not named MGS.

How true this is... it used to be in the NES/SNES days you'd pick up a Konami game and with very few exceptions (Bayou Billy, Snake's Revenge), you were getting a fantastic game, with top notch graphics, music, and gameplay... but lately their games have either been shitting out new Bemani titles on a monthly basis, Yu-Gi-Oh games, kiddy animu license games, or cutting the budgets on some of their big series - come on, farming SH out to the developer of the Mark Ecko game? :P Kojima's stuff is really the only series that gets high budgets.
^_^

AdmiralViscen

• Murdered in the digital realm
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 08:48:35 AM »
SOTN is out on PSN? Didn't know that.

Himu

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 10:28:14 AM »

How true this is... it used to be in the NES/SNES days you'd pick up a Konami game and with very few exceptions (Bayou Billy, Snake's Revenge), you were getting a fantastic game, with top notch graphics, music, and gameplay... but lately their games have either been shitting out new Bemani titles on a monthly basis, Yu-Gi-Oh games, kiddy animu license games, or cutting the budgets on some of their big series - come on, farming SH out to the developer of the Mark Ecko game? :P Kojima's stuff is really the only series that gets high budgets.

I want a higher budget Suikoden.
IYKYK

y2kev

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 10:38:05 AM »
I don't know what kind of budget IGA gets per Castlevania, but I bet it isn't much worse than what SOTN's director got, especially considering how technology is different now...and they reinvented the franchise with that budget. IGA probably has the means to do the same, he just sucks.
haw

Error2k4

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 10:40:42 AM »
I don't know what kind of budget IGA gets per Castlevania, but I bet it isn't much worse than what SOTN's director got, especially considering how technology is different now...and they reinvented the franchise with that budget. IGA probably has the means to do the same, he just sucks.
SOTN actually had a respectable budget, it was Konami's big hope after all, they were expecting the game to do very well. SOTN initially bombed (it sold a lot later after the price drop and word of mouth but it was too late), 2d 'vanias exclusive to handhelds with crappy budgets.
AAA

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 05:59:59 PM »
Yeah when SotN first came out, I believe it was was shunned by the 'Playstation Generation', as a huge amount of the PS1 userbase were brand new casual gamers that had somehow been convinced that gaming was 'cool' by Sony' marketing. I remember reading one review in some bullshit British Playstaion mag, they gave it 5/10 and said something along the lines of 'hey, were next gen gamers here, why on earth do we want to play this 16-bit dinosaur? 2d? This is 1997, quite why this snes quality game was released for the Playstation I dont know.... etc.' and so on. 'Formula Karts' (appalling game) on the next page scored 9/10  :-\  Gaming jornamlism FTL eternally

Rman

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 06:01:43 PM »
Save for the GBA games which I never played, I did enjoy his two DS games.  I guess Konami gave up on Castlevania for consoles after those versions that came out for PS2/Xbox bombed.  It pains me because I'm an old school Konami fan--Castlevania 1, 3, and 4, Contra, Super C, Contra 3, Gradius, Lifeforce, the good TMNT games, Bucky O' Hare--the arcade version and more recently the Metal Gear Solid series.  Hopefully they will try something new with the Castlevania franchise.  While I enjoy IGA's games I think the series needs a new creative direction.

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 06:04:06 PM »
Im with you there, but I wouldnt complain If we saw bigger and better metroidvanias for DS

Himu

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 06:06:13 PM »
DoS is pretty meh. It's basically AoS 1.2.

I like his CV's, but even I admit Iga is a one trick pony. Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, and Portrait of Ruin were all great games.

Portrait of Ruin in particular, is probably the only handheld CV touching SotN. It felt like a blend of oldschool CV with Metroidvania CV, and the balance is WOW.

I think Portrait is the direction CV needs to head in. Return of oldschool CV level design with non learity of the newer ones.
IYKYK

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 06:18:07 PM »
Portrait had a much better difficulty level than the previous handheld metroidvanias too

Himu

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 06:19:03 PM »
Yeah, Portrait just rocks all around.
IYKYK

MrAngryFace

• I have the most sensible car on The Bore
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 06:26:59 PM »
Gradius V am saying hello totaal!!!!!!!!!
o_0

Error2k4

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 06:39:10 PM »
Richter+Maria mode in PoR= :hyper :hyper
AAA

y2kev

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 06:57:40 PM »
Richter in PoR is pretty cool because he moves so fast. Makes the tedious navigation muuuuch nicer.

DoS > PoR for me.
haw

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 07:13:25 PM »
Gradius V am saying hello totaal!!!!!!!!!

Gradius V :bow

ferricide

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 09:32:59 PM »
Instead we will get Animu DS games with worse music and graphics than SotN.
the former is IGA acquiescing to marketing's demands. it isn't hurting the series much in any meaningful way. hell, the intro to POR is pretty cool. lighten up.

as for the latter, that's hardly his fault. it's called... DS. DOS has really quite nice graphics IMO, and the soundtrack isn't half bad. he even brought yamane back for POR. if it's not IYO as good as the SOTN soundtrack for compositional (as opposed to technical) reasons, blame her.

wtf does that even mean?

Heh, I'm kinda joking, but kinda curious. IGA dislikes old style Castlevania. He wants it dead. TruGamers want it to coexist peacefully with Metroidvania.

:lol

you're super melodramatic. obviously, SOTN-style castlevania has been deeply popular with gamers. it's not surpirisng they'd go back to this mine, partiuclarly as this is where IGA started with the series.

He's weighing the future of castlevania on Dracula X chronicles. The entire thing. So if this game bombs, he can use this as an excuse forever. PSP games bomb by default, so sabotage of old castlevania is already underway.

way to completely misconstrue everything that he's said in interviews. he's looking for a way forward for the series. he's interested to see if the forward-scrolling castlevania gameplay will be popular with gamers.

his job is producer of the castlevania series. trying to sabotage the series would be like signing his own fucking resignation.  ::)

konami's marketing people have access to the sales numbers for all PSP games internationally. i should imagine the sales would be judged against what is considered a hit for the system.

And then Konami freaking released SOTN on PSN last week, lol. So like you can play it on your PSP now. So the feature set of Dracula X is less impressive.

depends on what the fixes are like, doesn't it?

The game is set up to make sure Old Castlevania is dead FOREVAR

i will admit that i don't give a fuck if it is. =)  i never liked the forward-scrolling ones that much, to be honest. my favorite was simon's quest. what i'd like to see is something in that vein, with lots of (more elaborate) mini-castles.

QFT

the castlevania series is a one-territory title and is budgeted as such. it sells like shit in japan and it sells like shit in europe, since the NES never caught on there and the series isn't that popular, AFAIK. (i could be wrong.) the budgets are what konami considers appropriate for a game meant to sell in one territory. unfortunately these budgets are not realistic for a game that has to compete with DMC and god of war, but that's not IGA's fault.

it's extremely obvious from looking at LOI and COD the limitations that the developers are working under. nobody wants to do cut and paste level design.

i do think, however, that he let himself be hamstrung on those titles by a desire to provide a SOTN-like experience in 3D without the engine/leveldesign to back it up, and the games could have been better if he had freed them from that. however it's clear from current conversations that this option is very much on the table.

Himu

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 09:36:41 PM »
I'm sorry ferricide, but animu and Castlevania don't mix and the animu portraits in DoS and PoR make me want to stab my eyes out.

Why they feel the need to add these silly anime intro's in these games I don't know. It feels forced to me.
IYKYK

y2kev

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 10:09:15 PM »
okay ferricide, agent of IGA. I'm on to you. You'll be next after IGA is eliminated.

his job is producer of the castlevania series. trying to sabotage the series would be like signing his own fucking resignation. 

Self-loathing hack!

btw you hate "forward scrolling" castlevania so :o
haw

Christopher

• Justin Timberlake's #1 Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 10:37:15 PM »
Why would he want to kill classic Castlevania?

fuck that.

remake Super Castlevania in HD IGA DO IT

Himu

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 10:41:42 PM »
Why would he want to kill classic Castlevania?

fuck that.

Because he's accustomed Metroidvania and since he's a shitty one trick pony he can't muster the strength to support an awesome classic style CV.
IYKYK

Christopher

• Justin Timberlake's #1 Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 10:43:05 PM »
I know your an anime-cigarillo, but what artstyle do you prefer?

Himu

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 10:45:05 PM »
I know your an anime-cigarillo, but what artstyle do you prefer?

Classic Kojima.

IYKYK

Error2k4

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 10:46:14 PM »
I have the shitty art book that came with PoR with some AWESOME Kojima art. :bow Kojima :bow
AAA

Himu

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 10:55:51 PM »
:bow Kojima
IYKYK

y2kev

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2007, 11:16:40 PM »
KOJIMA :bow
haw

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2007, 12:32:09 AM »
IGA > Kojima

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2007, 12:32:55 AM »

Haha just kidding. Kojima :elephant

Himu

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2007, 12:44:23 AM »
We're talking about Kojima's WIFE. His wife does the art for SotN - AoS CV's
IYKYK

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2007, 12:45:35 AM »
Really? I didnt know that. I like the art in SotN and Aos

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2007, 12:45:59 AM »
ayame kojima is married to hideo kojima? i thought they were unrelated.

edit: google produces no articles indicating they are related.
duc

Himu

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2007, 12:46:54 AM »
i thought they said that in egm years back
IYKYK

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2007, 12:47:48 AM »
egm also said that xenosaga 3 is an 8.5
duc

Error2k4

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2007, 12:48:11 AM »
they are not related afaik
AAA

Himu

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2007, 12:49:24 AM »
egm also said that xenosaga 3 is an 8.5

touche'
IYKYK

y2kev

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2007, 01:15:19 AM »
they're not related, himu. you are such a moran
haw

Himu

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2007, 01:31:23 AM »
BUT EGM SAID THEY WERE
IYKYK

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2007, 01:43:23 AM »
EGM says a lot of things

ferricide

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2007, 03:05:40 PM »
I'm sorry ferricide, but animu and Castlevania don't mix and the animu portraits in DoS and PoR make me want to stab my eyes out.

i didn't say it's a match made in heaven. it's completely obvious that ayami kojima's art style is vastly superior both in terms of its appropriateness to the games and in its quality. but it's not like the fucking anime portraits ruin the games. it's minor.

Why they feel the need to add these silly anime intro's in these games I don't know. It feels forced to me.

because marketing people at konami have convinced IGA that kiddies might be more likely to be tricked into buying castlevania if it has anime character designs. *shrug

personally the POR anime intro reminds me of nothing so much as a 16-bit game, which seems apropos.

btw you hate "forward scrolling" castlevania so :o

no, i just don't love it. i like castlevania IV a lot. i haven't actually played dracula X yet because my duo craps out on the game's music for some reason. i think it's dying. i do own it though.

for me, castlevania really started to be relevant when SOTN came out, but at the same time, i don't think that every game that has followed it is excellent or anything. aria and dawn are. the other two are skippable at best. haven't played POR yet because people whose opinions i actually listen to think it's mediocre and i barely touch my DS.

We're talking about Kojima's WIFE. His wife does the art for SotN - AoS CV's

just to confirm, they're not married. and i doubt EGM said that unless it was like ten years ago. shane + IGA = tight.